Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't even know if there will be a hybid Optane drive in the future. I always thought the client business at Intel NSG was primarily to find some kind of use for all those NAND wafers their factories were spitting out that couldn't be sold in a much more lucrative enterprise product. Once the acquisition completes they'll have to go out and buy someone else's NAND in order to throw together a product and at that point why bother.

You would think, but apparently they announced an H20 recently

https://www.servethehome.com/new-intel-670p-and-optane-h20-ssds-with-legacy-pcie-gen3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That was already in the pipe and they still own their NAND stuff through the end of next year. When they have to go put and buy NAND from someone else to do this is when I imagine they stop caring completely about it

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sabrent Rocket 4 plus 1TB / Gigabyte B550i

Just posting as I saw on Reddit people were wondering how they do. Well they can gently caress off, it's on SA first (I think).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 18, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Which of the numbers go up brrr is going to appreciably affect day-to-day computing (non-intensive) experience, or are we already way past that? Genuinely asking. I've always read that it was random read/write that will make your day-to-day seem 'snappier'.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

For consumers without any intensive workloads - low qd (like 4 at max) random read/writes (possibly mixed).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Here is my new 980 Pro 512GB unit:

Looks like maybe parity with the bigger 1TB drive and that Sabrent? I'd pick the Samsung either way, better quality nand (guessing)

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 19, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Which of the numbers go up brrr is going to appreciably affect day-to-day computing (non-intensive) experience, or are we already way past that? Genuinely asking. I've always read that it was random read/write that will make your day-to-day seem 'snappier'.

We are already way past that. A sata SSD and the fastest NVMe are not appreciably different to the person doing day-to-day desktop computing. If you aren't using a stopwatch while loading a program or game level, you can't tell when your nvme drive is replaced with sata folders crystals.

NVMe drives in the consumer space are, at the moment, an instance of the tech running out waaaaay ahead of the rest of the ecosystem.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

We are already way past that. A sata SSD and the fastest NVMe are not appreciably different to the person doing day-to-day desktop computing. If you aren't using a stopwatch while loading a program or game level, you can't tell when your nvme drive is replaced with sata folders crystals.

NVMe drives in the consumer space are, at the moment, an instance of the tech running out waaaaay ahead of the rest of the ecosystem.

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

redeyes posted:

Find a way to crank up queue depths for consumer workloads and we'll talk.

It's not even a case of SATA SSDs just being fast enough, regular consumers just don't do the things where NVMe pulls ahead. At low queue depths the performance difference between the two is nominal (unless PCIe 4 changed this, I admit I haven't looked).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

"at the moment"

I'm sure this will change over the next 5 years, for gaming if nothing else. But right now buying a rocket 4 or 980 pro as a desktop user right now is spending money for benchmarks.

e:

Some Goon posted:

Find a way to crank up queue depths for consumer workloads and we'll talk.

It's not even a case of SATA SSDs just being fast enough, regular consumers just don't do the things where NVMe pulls ahead. At low queue depths the performance difference between the two is nominal (unless PCIe 4 changed this, I admit I haven't looked).

I expect for consumer we'll get things that use the massive sequential bandwidth instead. For example, what if Windows quick start / hibernation load, but at the application level? Instead of starting your program and expanding it from the compact exes & dlls, you just schlurp a big binary directly into memory? The problem with NVMe drives is they do traditional storage jobs literally faster than the CPU can process them. So come up with ways to bypass the CPU!

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 19, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In my machine, boot and some things are on a HP NVME drive, but I'm running out of space. I have a big old spinny drive that I never use (3 gb WD Green), and just pulled a 240 GB SSD out of my wife's laptop. I'd like to use the WD spinny drive for a bunch of games and stuff that I never touch. It appears I can use PrimoCache to tie the WD drive and the SSD together for some performance improvements. Is this worth doing or should I just not bother with trying to use the SSD?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OH I can do it but likely your average normie can't.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Not much with these drives. I wanted it for video editing.

For "snappiness" it'd be optane - low queue depths.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 20, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So if I combined two Samsung 980 PRO's, would it be faster than the PS5 SSD?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

punk rebel ecks posted:

So if I combined two Samsung 980 PRO's, would it be faster than the PS5 SSD?

Just a single one already would be faster than the PS5's raw read speed--it only gets to 8-9GB/s when dealing with well compressed data, and so far I haven't seen much of an analysis on how often that actually happens.

It won't matter either way in terms of gaming performance, though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Plus RAIDing SSDs together will probably do more harm than good in the long term, since DirectStorage probably won't work in that config

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Good points. I hope next year these NVME's will become more affordable.

Why wouldn't it improve gaming performance?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DrDork posted:

it only gets to 8-9GB/s when dealing with well compressed data, and so far I haven't seen much of an analysis on how often that actually happens.

The thing is games already store assets on disk in compressed packages. Crack open an unreal or unity package in a game and the extracted stuff is bigger than the package was. It's like saying my sata SSD can read 1200 MB/s because I keep everything in zip files.

The largest assets by % are textures, which are stored in GPU native formats that are already compressed. So that's zero gain. Models & geometry will have benefits. And sound files, well both consoles are including hardware accelerators for playing opus & vorbis audio streams, so hopefully CoD will stop storing all their sound in uncompressed wavs. IMHO the claims for storage bandwidth that inflate for compression are kinda bunk.

What the PS5 gets from the special storage is offloading the decompression work from the CPU. And I've seen speculation that the compression hardware also is a part of the copy protection scheme.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why wouldn't it improve gaming performance?

Because no games today are limited by storage speed. The current architecture is you try to keep everything you need in system memory, because everything is still designed with a baseline of spinny hard drives. NVMe drives -- even old first gen PCIe 3 ones -- can feed the CPU data faster than the CPU can process a standard game load.

If future games start to really use & require multi-GB/s storage speeds, it's because developers will be making a very different architecture that requires less CPU work to load.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 24, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Klyith posted:

Because no games today are limited by storage speed. The current architecture is you try to keep everything you need in system memory, because everything is still designed with a baseline of spinny hard drives. NVMe drives -- even old first gen PCIe 3 ones -- can feed the CPU data faster than the CPU can process a standard game load.

If future games start to really use & require multi-GB/s storage speeds, it's because developers will be making a very different architecture that requires less CPU work to load.

I see. How likely is it that developers will begin making games in such a way in the future?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. How likely is it that developers will begin making games in such a way in the future?

Semi-inevitable, but remember that the Xbox only has a "normal" ~5GB/s SSD, so anything cross platform enough to be getting a PC port in the first place is going to have to work with that in mind.

"Data speeds faster than what a normal CPU can handle on the fly" really means direct transfers from SSD to GPU VRAM, and while everyone is working on making that happen, I'd guess we're still 3 years away from seeing it actually show up in a game, and there's no guarantee that it won't require new hardware (either a revised SSD controller or new I/O handling on the GPU end) that means whatever you buy now won't be compatible.

Basically don't worry at all about how the PS5 on paper has mildly faster read speeds than a 980 Pro. It won't matter for years. By the time it actually does matter, you'll be able to pick up a drive that does the needful at like 1/3 the price of what a 980 Pro goes for now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

DrDork posted:

Semi-inevitable, but remember that the Xbox only has a "normal" ~5GB/s SSD, so anything cross platform enough to be getting a PC port in the first place is going to have to work with that in mind.

"Data speeds faster than what a normal CPU can handle on the fly" really means direct transfers from SSD to GPU VRAM, and while everyone is working on making that happen, I'd guess we're still 3 years away from seeing it actually show up in a game, and there's no guarantee that it won't require new hardware (either a revised SSD controller or new I/O handling on the GPU end) that means whatever you buy now won't be compatible.

Basically don't worry at all about how the PS5 on paper has mildly faster read speeds than a 980 Pro. It won't matter for years. By the time it actually does matter, you'll be able to pick up a drive that does the needful at like 1/3 the price of what a 980 Pro goes for now.

I see. Thanks.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 27, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

harrygomm posted:

had a secondary drive die. for a sanity check, any reason not to just buy the 1or 2 TB Samsung Evo that i have m.2/sata slots open for? any combination of size/form factor/connection type to avoid? looking to grab a local drive to get it up quick, any other brand worth considering given best buys current sales on samsungs?

Can you buy something cheaper like a QLC drive?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
local options are wd blue sata 1tb, wd black nvme pcie 3 1tb, some PNY stuff which i dont know anything about and about 30 combinations of 1/2 tb, 2.5”/nvme, sata/pcie, pro/evo samsung drives. normally id be down to pick the price/performance sweet spot since this is for consumer use, but too limited of a time window for deliveries.

if youre asking if im ok with a cheaper memory type, yeah totally

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 30, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

harrygomm posted:

local options are wd blue sata 1tb, wd black nvme pcie 3 1tb, some PNY stuff which i dont know anything about and about 30 combinations of 1/2 tb, 2.5”/nvme, sata/pcie, pro/evo samsung drives. normally id be down to pick the price/performance sweet spot since this is for consumer use, but too limited of a time window for deliveries.

if youre asking if im ok with a cheaper memory type, yeah totally

If the WD drives are still cheaper despite the samsung sale, which is what it looks to be on their website, I'd get WD. The wd SN750 is pretty equivalent to the 970 Evo for example. And WD blue SSDs, particularly the PCIe SN550, have been a consumer sweet spot drive for the past year. If the in-store prices are different and samsung is cheaper get that.

The PNY stuff is probably fine as well, TBH.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have the low end PNY drive in my Linux home lab server and it’s fine. Noticeably slower than an EVO in “yum upgrade” but whatever

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 27, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

harrygomm posted:

I looked at the TT review for it and I didn't realize that Samsung wasn't the far and away dominator in the market it once was, I'll have to look around more for my personal build I'm working on.

They're still really good, but they're just a lot of extra money that mostly is for the name.

Samsung drives were both the best drives and undercutting everyone on price for about five years, so it just got to be that the answer to any question about SSDs was "just buy a samsung." Then they took a market that had been instructed to buy nothing but samsung and started charging 10-20% more than everyone else, good business move TBF. But they haven't been the best bang for buck for a while now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

They're also the biggest power hogs around, Phison based controllers are much more frugal with power draw than Samsung's.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And SKHynix manages power even better but they haven't put out a 4.0 drive yet and their 2TB P31 is 2-3 months overdue.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I miss when Intel SSDs could actually compete with Samsung.

Then Samsung walloped them from the top and Crucial/WD from the bottom.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Amazon is running a deal on the Crucial MX500 SATA SSD: $85 for 1TB and $190 for 2TB

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LaptopGun posted:

Amazon is running a deal on the Crucial MX500 SATA SSD: $85 for 1TB and $190 for 2TB

Ahhh prices are decent again.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'd avoid Crucial SSD's. I have had nothing but bad luck with them making GBS threads their pants.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The SKHynix S31 1TB is ~$90 with a 15% off "coupon" (check the box under the price) at the moment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SNHB4RC/

Much newer drive, better quality NAND.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

redeyes posted:

I'd avoid Crucial SSD's. I have had nothing but bad luck with them making GBS threads their pants.

Our org started picking up MX500's when they became available and I haven't had a bad experience with them yet. Before that we deployed MX300's (plus some WD Blue SSDs) and some BX300's that were ordered by mistake. No issues so far.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

klosterdev posted:

Our org started picking up MX500's when they became available and I haven't had a bad experience with them yet. Before that we deployed MX300's (plus some WD Blue SSDs) and some BX300's that were ordered by mistake. No issues so far.

I guess the solar rays in my area are stonger than normal. Still, Crucial sucks with RMA which is prolly why im upset at them more than anything.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is this the thread for HDDs as well? :confused:

I need a recommendation for a 1 TB SSD (or 1.5 TB if possible) and a 6/8 TB storage drive.

Speed is somewhat important for the SSD as I'll use it for OS and games.

Stability/low failure rate/lifetime is more important for the HDD. It'll be a pure storage unit but it should be able to process huge torrents at 35mbyte/s download speed without any delay.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PirateBob posted:

Is this the thread for HDDs as well? :confused:

I need a recommendation for a 1 TB SSD (or 1.5 TB if possible) and a 6/8 TB storage drive.

Speed is somewhat important for the SSD as I'll use it for OS and games.

Stability/low failure rate/lifetime is more important for the HDD. It'll be a pure storage unit but it should be able to process huge torrents at 35mbyte/s download speed without any delay.

No such thing as a 1.5 TB SSD.

If your PC has a NVMe slot, a frequent recommendation for home games & apps type users the WD Blue SN550. At 2TB I'd get the HP EX950. NVMe drives, today, have little end-user performance advantage over sata SSDs with games, but with consoles now having very fast NVMe storage it's a good bet for the future. And these drives are only $10-20 more than sata SSDs.

If you don't have NVMe, a crucial MX500 on sale that was linked a few posts up is good. Or a WD Blue.

There is no thread for HDDs, it's unsexy tech and there's no consistent pattern of either brand being better between WD & Seagate. On a big 6-8TB drive you're gonna get a SMR drive unless you pay a lot of money for NAS stuff. However, a SMR drive is fine for doing torrents as a single drive with a normal filesystem. They suck for more complex things like ZFS raid. For stability & lifetime, you could consider a 5400 RPM drive -- I think the lower RPM drives are at least theoretically more reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

In the home nas thread they're buying WD easystores and shucking the drives. So far the 8TB and up drives in there have not been smr. Though some spin faster than advertised lol