Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

accidentally just mixed this audio with the 2020 dolly parton christmas album and loled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
here have some prime grade hellworld poo poo to brighten your'e are evening

https://twitter.com/iarnsdorf/status/1341882243078348800

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

thank you goon sir

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The Russians used a gun.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

carry on then posted:

I’ve been in a bad place and will do my best to stop unless you’d like me to bring it back again

wish you all the best, goon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

put all cops in prison

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1341922489065238528

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

it would probably have some inflationary pressure, sure, but you dont actually know how much. your speculation that it would swamp all other benefits and get them cut is just pure speculation.

yeah, this whole take indicates that endlessmonotony has bought the right-wing bullshit about the causes of inflation hook, line, and sinker

“landlords will raise rent to match UBI” is a right wing talking point because it completely ignores actual economics in favor of a simplistic “sat through the first couple weeks of Micro 101” model that people may feel is authoritative because they heard it in a class once

the American economic sphere at least has a pretty huge amount of room between where we are right now with the velocity of money and what it would take to induce serious inflation

that’s why there have been so many hugely risky financial bets this century by American investors and industries — we’ve figured out well enough how to manage inflation that there’s basically no room to make a profit (ie invest in risks that pay off) buying debt from the issuer of the reserve currency, so those who want to make one have to go to more exotic or more risky instruments (or both)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

these would kinda have to go together otherwise the ubi will just be captured by increased rent, no?

same as increasing min wage

if done alone, it’s just another way of transferring money to landlords

lol nz is increasing its min wage to $20 an hour next year. our 15 year old delivery person is going to get that

so.. the delivery people usually work an hour and a half a day. i let them work till we close to earn a few extra bucks but when min wage kicks in i’m gonna have to reduce their hours to only one hour per day. nice work govt

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

no recommending self harm in the pos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

giving people free money will likely cause inflation, but money is fungible. you are focused on landlords for some reason. you know that there are things that people spend money on before rent, right? why is it a subsidy to rent when people are just as likely to spend it on food?

you’re not making good arguments.

there was an ad that was directed at landlords here in nz, in a landlord magazine or something

and it was something like, if your tenants can afford
to be going out for a drink, they can afford to pay you more rent

the ad blew up and got out into the public eye and it was a PR nightmare for the company that ran it but lol not like people went homeless in protest

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

it was terrifying to try to date twenty years ago and now you have to run seven apps, swipe right on 327 people a day and eat rear end 3 nights a week before you get to the level where you can learn somebody's last name

im done. that shits for the young kids. im pretty old fashioned and boring when it comes to all that stuff

eating rear end is actually the end goal of dating so we’re kinda lucky we don’t have to marry people first anymore

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

lol nz is increasing its min wage to $20 an hour next year. our 15 year old delivery person is going to get that

so.. the delivery people usually work an hour and a half a day. i let them work till we close to earn a few extra bucks but when min wage kicks in i’m gonna have to reduce their hours to only one hour per day. nice work govt

lol

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

do u guys not eat rear end on the first date??

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idk i haven’t been on a first date in a long time

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

yeah increasing minimum wage usually makes businesses reduce hrs and try to automate more tasks, so it is best to increase it slowly and steadily by tying it to inflation or cost of living somehow.

but in the US the minimum wage has remained the same for 30 years. inflation and cost of living changes left it behind as unlivable 25 years ago.

the minimum wage in the US in 1968 would be $12 dollars/hr in 2019 dollars if it had been tied to inflation and productivity. today it is actually $7.25 and yeah that may have kept mcdonalds corporate from automating some things but it’s not a livable wage.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jonny 290 posted:

it was terrifying to try to date twenty years ago and now you have to run seven apps, swipe right on 327 people a day and eat rear end 3 nights a week before you get to the level where you can learn somebody's last name

im done. that shits for the young kids. im pretty old fashioned and boring when it comes to all that stuff

lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
looking forward to seeing jonny appear on the dating game

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

eschaton posted:

yeah, this whole take indicates that endlessmonotony has bought the right-wing bullshit about the causes of inflation hook, line, and sinker

“landlords will raise rent to match UBI” is a right wing talking point because it completely ignores actual economics in favor of a simplistic “sat through the first couple weeks of Micro 101” model that people may feel is authoritative because they heard it in a class once

the American economic sphere at least has a pretty huge amount of room between where we are right now with the velocity of money and what it would take to induce serious inflation

that’s why there have been so many hugely risky financial bets this century by American investors and industries — we’ve figured out well enough how to manage inflation that there’s basically no room to make a profit (ie invest in risks that pay off) buying debt from the issuer of the reserve currency, so those who want to make one have to go to more exotic or more risky instruments (or both)

on the other side of things you can look at what the proliferation of higher education debt has done to the cost of higher education. it's no accident that the increase in average cost per semester tracks pretty closely with subsidized federal financial aid availability and awards

there's a very real concern that ubi, in a vacuum, would allow landlords in areas with limited housing stock to raise their rent indiscriminately. all of the normal pressures you'd expect to find (relocation, new construction, etc) are mitigated by their tenants being held captive to the local housing market by their place of employment or any other number of factors

would definitely be curious to see whatever research you've read on this topic that provides a bit more nuance. it's been years since i worked in public housing research (not ubi oriented) and i definitely haven't kept up on it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
weird and useless data points from the frozen north

despite the widespread availability of CERB (not UBI, but a broadly applicable EI replacement) rents have not increased by the CERB amount. in fact rents have decreased month over month since february in the major cities. toronto specifically does have rent control, but it's not universal. however, the rental price decreases are likely due to a combination of slightly reduced demand (some people are moving out of the city if they no longer need to be here for work) and vastly increased supply (significant restrictions on Airbnb and short term rentals, both in general and covid specific have units going back on the long term market). thanks to 2020 we're no longer the most expensive rental market in the country, and that's with a broadly eligible, up to $2k per month, income supplement.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Blinkz0rz posted:

on the other side of things you can look at what the proliferation of higher education debt has done to the cost of higher education. it's no accident that the increase in average cost per semester tracks pretty closely with subsidized federal financial aid availability and awards

there's a very real concern that ubi, in a vacuum, would allow landlords in areas with limited housing stock to raise their rent indiscriminately. all of the normal pressures you'd expect to find (relocation, new construction, etc) are mitigated by their tenants being held captive to the local housing market by their place of employment or any other number of factors

would definitely be curious to see whatever research you've read on this topic that provides a bit more nuance. it's been years since i worked in public housing research (not ubi oriented) and i definitely haven't kept up on it

I'm aware of all that and all points on both sides, and you've more or less got the main reason I'm so skeptical.

There's a whole separate point about how our healthcare systems are intertwined with the employment system so a lot of diseases aren't noticed until they make it hard for you to work, so an UBI you can live on would require radical transformation of our healthcare systems to screen for these diseases, otherwise people would just carry on with awful, curable diseases because they don't know they're not supposed to feel like poo poo. My own disease was finally found this way - alas, it's incurable, though treatable so the pain's mitigated now. Obviously way more relevant a point on EU side.

Which is why the EU-funded UBI makes me go "huh, that actually neatly sidesteps all the usual problems assuming you can't be expected to live on it", but that intertwines with the EU politics and asks hard questions on how to best fund it to stabilize the internal EU economy. I'm in favor of straight up printing the money and just eating the inflation hit.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Inflation happens when you print money. We aren't asking for that. We want to take money from rich people. One dollar in, one dollar out.

If the economy is destroyed by jeff bozos only having 20B instead of 200B then it deserves to be destroyed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Salt Fish posted:

Inflation happens when you print money. We aren't asking for that. We want to take money from rich people. One dollar in, one dollar out.

If the economy is destroyed by jeff bozos only having 20B instead of 200B then it deserves to be destroyed.

lol it would if you assumed the economy makes simple sense.

You don't even need to tax rich people, and for the EU, the superior answer is not doing that and instead sidestepping the entire issue to stabilize the EU economy.

Dollars are just numbers. The value of wealth they represent does change all the time. Money is a medium of exchange, not a store of value - its value changing even in large ways is just fine if you can predict the rate and compensate for price stickiness and change pressures. Inflation's a problem when it's unexpected or when it reduces the buying power of the people with already low buying power.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

and this is why i think economists, much like high level mathematicians aren't actually human beings

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Salt Fish posted:

no one is talking about inflation (in the macro sense) as a reason to avoid ubi. it honestly doesn't matter where the money comes from to fund it

the concern is that without sufficient controls on price, there are a number of essential resources - housing, health, food as the first 3 off the top of my head - that don't respond to supply and demand in all situations. sure, ubi would probably have very little effect on housing prices in bumfuck iowa because supply outstrips demand, but folks who live in cities or other areas with limited housing stock and don't have the ability to leave are captive to whatever a landlord wants to charge

basically to have ubi work effectively, you need to put price controls on housing, health care (or just have mfa), and groceries to ensure that the cost of living isn't raised as a proportion of the new money that everyone has in their pocket

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Casual Encountess posted:

and this is why i think economists, much like high level mathematicians aren't actually human beings

they're lizards op

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

no one is talking about inflation (in the macro sense) as a reason to avoid ubi. it honestly doesn't matter where the money comes from to fund it

the concern is that without sufficient controls on price, there are a number of essential resources - housing, health, food as the first 3 off the top of my head - that don't respond to supply and demand in all situations. sure, ubi would probably have very little effect on housing prices in bumfuck iowa because supply outstrips demand, but folks who live in cities or other areas with limited housing stock and don't have the ability to leave are captive to whatever a landlord wants to charge

basically to have ubi work effectively, you need to put price controls on housing, health care (or just have mfa), and groceries to ensure that the cost of living isn't raised as a proportion of the new money that everyone has in their pocket

iirc those things are “elastic” right? trying to recall some of my micro econ 101 terminology.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

also, lol at trump’s demand for bigger direct payouts totally loving with congressional republicans

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

btw landlords pushing up rents in situations with guaranteed income is a known issue and is a reason that landlords can only charge section 8 renters "fair market rents" (calculated by hud) for their apartments before the subsidy is paid

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Blinkz0rz posted:

btw landlords pushing up rents in situations with guaranteed income is a known issue and is a reason that landlords can only charge section 8 renters "fair market rents" (calculated by hud) for their apartments before the subsidy is paid

yes, but rent increases happen irrespective of UBI, and landlords still have to compete for those UBI dollars against other things, for section 8 housing vouchers that money is earmarked for rent only and UBI is not.

rents are higher in places where it is more desirable to live, that’s not going to change unless you eliminate all private real estate which just ain’t happening.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yes, but rent increases happen irrespective of UBI, and landlords still have to compete for those UBI dollars against other things, for section 8 housing vouchers that money is earmarked for rent only and UBI is not.

rents are higher in places where it is more desirable to live, that’s not going to change unless you eliminate all private real estate which just ain’t happening.

there's a difference between private property ownership and speculative ownership designed to leech money from folks who have little to no alternatives

abolish all scum sucking landlords they provide no value of any kind

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salt Fish posted:

inflation doesnt happen when you print money. it happens when more money is flowing into usage on things that inflation tracks faster than the supply of those things is increasing, something like that.

you can print a trillion dollars directly into jeff bozos dragon hoard and inflation wont really move. in fact we did just that this year and inflation officially hasnt gone up more than a normal year

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fart simpson posted:

inflation doesnt happen when you print money. it happens when more money is flowing into usage on things that inflation tracks faster than the supply of those things is increasing, something like that.

you can print a trillion dollars directly into jeff bozos dragon hoard and inflation wont really move. in fact we did just that this year and inflation officially hasnt gone up more than a normal year

You can't have both goon arguments at the same time:

1) Jeff Bezos isn't really *that* rich, his money is all in stocks not some vault filled with gold
2) Jeff Bezos has a dragon hoard that doesn't impact the economy because its effectively "dead" money

I would say that obviously his money is circulating like crazy. It doesn't cause inflation when he spends a billion to acquire twitch or a billion to build a dozen new distribution centers, and it wouldn't cause inflation if that money was spent by someone else on something else. It's fake fear mongering to protect the rich. If we're worried some shitbag landlord or insurance agent is going to try to steal the extra money then just put them in a gulag and be done with it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

weird and useless data points from the frozen north

despite the widespread availability of CERB (not UBI, but a broadly applicable EI replacement) rents have not increased by the CERB amount. in fact rents have decreased month over month since february in the major cities. toronto specifically does have rent control, but it's not universal. however, the rental price decreases are likely due to a combination of slightly reduced demand (some people are moving out of the city if they no longer need to be here for work) and vastly increased supply (significant restrictions on Airbnb and short term rentals, both in general and covid specific have units going back on the long term market). thanks to 2020 we're no longer the most expensive rental market in the country, and that's with a broadly eligible, up to $2k per month, income supplement.

housing costs seem to be entirely based on supply and demand and pretty much nothing else. ubi would probably have minimal impact on housing since the only thing it might do is slightly increase demand in a few places.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1342107761769918467

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

President Beep posted:

also, lol at trump’s demand for bigger direct payouts totally loving with congressional republicans

the gop rejected the $2k, so now they are going to try again on monday since they are going home for the weekend

note that all of the unemployment stuff expires after saturday and the federal government shuts down on monday if trump doesn't sign the existing bill, which he already vetoed. pelosi just got played by trump, thinking that his endorsement of bigger checks meant that the gop old-guard would go along with it, except they really don't care if you die in a gutter

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

housing costs seem to be entirely based on supply and demand and pretty much nothing else. ubi would probably have minimal impact on housing since the only thing it might do is slightly increase demand in a few places.

not even this is *that* obvious, since given more location-independent income it might be more doable for people to move away from the worst housing markets. in general ubi would likely have its biggest impact kickstarting the local economies of otherwise dwindling rural towns.

but generally this is a whole lot of speculation with very little in the way of facts, testing ubi is extremely hard as time-limiting it takes away a huge component of what it ostensibly is.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i was once a grifter like you, but then i took an arrow to the wrist.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Taking money away from billionaires and giving it to people who are struggling to feed themselves is the right thing to do and we don't need to test it. It's such a moral imperative that we have to try it even if it doesn't work.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You could come to me with a study that was peer reviewed by every scientist on earth that said "if you take money from billionaires and give it to people who are starving every human will be dead within 10 years" and I would tell you to pass that poo poo into law ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a normal strong social safety net and worker-friendly regulation is rather more tried and true is the thing though. there being broader support for ubi is, i think, largely illusory.