Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I regret that my tonic of Ambien, Ativan and Vodka made me use various slurs and mean things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If working from home makes your PR team send emails like that, they probably shouldn't be your PR team for much longer.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I caught up on the kerfluffle this morning, watched the wan show clip of Linus ranting and the hardware unboxed guy doing a wrap up of what happened.

It seems like Linus was justified in blowing up on this publicly, since nvidia would damage their own brand if they persisted in this behavior. I think it was telling that Linus said the original email didn't sound like the guy whose name was attached to it, and it seemed like something personal, and then the hardware unboxed guy confirmed that there's a person on the nvidia PR team for asia/pacific that has an axe to grind.

The two most important things I noticed were that the hardware unboxed guy started being contacted by other reviewers worried that they haven't been glowing about raytracing and whether nvidia would pull their creds as well - that's a chilling effect across an entire journalistic field, much more damaging than a single reviewer getting their hand slapped. The other thing was Steve Burke's tweet about how skeptical members of the public now have ammunition for painting positive raytracing coverage as shilling, because there's documentation of nvidia saying "if you change your editorial direction we'll consider inviting you back".

And then the reversal email saying "we respect independent journalism" - it seems like that global head PR guy didn't read the first email and then actually wrote the 2nd email realizing what he had actually put his name on to in the first place.

Weird poo poo.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nah he wrote it. I fully believe nvidia would have thrown whoever else wrote it under the bus if that happened.

Since he’s a top guy at nvidia he was probably told to apologize and nothing would happen. If it were someone lower on the totem pole they wouldn’t have a job.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ
ah wait wrong linus

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 14, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Romes128 posted:

Nah he wrote it. I fully believe nvidia would have thrown whoever else wrote it under the bus if that happened.

Since he’s a top guy at nvidia he was probably told to apologize and nothing would happen. If it were someone lower on the totem pole they wouldn’t have a job.

I think it was a lower level person that wrote it and they've been reprimanded or terminated quietly. It's common for higher up people to attach their names to things to lend them more weight and to speak for the entire unit they're in charge of, but that also comes with the responsibility of owning those words once they're out there, hence his "oh I was temporarily insane from quarantine!!"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
"Told them to use one with good airflow."

Steve is so wholesome he's made being always on-brand hilarious and amazing.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Nvidia apologized, again.

Really feel like they should just throw a dart at Twitter and hire somebody to replace their PR team because they seem to be the only people on the face of planet earth that thought that email was a good idea.

The most loving hilarious part about all of this is that if anyone wants to know what this is all about just tell them it’s about Nvidia being scared of benchmarks without raytracing.

Good job pr team.

Great work at making sure the public isn’t focused on benchmarks without Ray tracing.

quote:

Hi Steve -

Thanks for your note. I just wanted to say again how sorry I am for my original email.

I overstepped my bounds and it’s as simple as that.

I love seeing all the ways reviewers test and report on our products and I value your contributions.

Suggesting that I would withhold samples because I didn’t agree with your commentary is simply inexcusable and crossed the line.

I failed myself, my colleagues, and the amazing community of reviewers I consider my friends.

You all work so hard in service of the gaming industry we love – you deserved better from me.

I hope you will forgive my mistake and give me the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

It would be great if you can share this with your fans so they know how I feel.

Thanks,

BDR

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 15, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hi Steve,

Not sure if you'll even read this but whatever, who cares, what's the point. I'm so hosed up and can't stop crying, I hosed up how could you ever love me again. I'm such a bad person. No one cares i'm a nobody. just a failure.

you all work so hard i'm just a screwup. i'm crying and shaking right now and i punched a wall

all the best,

BDR

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"I'm face down rear end up do as you will"

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

"I'm face down rear end up do as you will"

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Stevie Silverhand and the iconic Feet Shooting Gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUVhfD3jpFE

pro thumbnail, don't miss it

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7z3JsVZwS4

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I can only imagine his wife wakes up each day fighting off the question "where did my life go so wrong?"

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
That pavement was lucky he wasn't carrying.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Please put up a warning on that post. David passed away from his injuries.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Like a cat

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus Tech Tips and Electroboom had a crossover where Mehdi spends the whole video shocking Linus over and over again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkgbmr3dRA

(Though Linus does get revenge in the Electroboom video.)

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The "Sad Linus" meme is the reason Linus grew his beard.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus Tech Tips and Electroboom had a crossover where Mehdi spends the whole video shocking Linus over and over again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkgbmr3dRA

(Though Linus does get revenge in the Electroboom video.)

At 50 seconds in, did the tesla coil somehow manage to turn on the computer?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

What level of electrical shock is dangerous to your heart? At what point would you experience arrhythmia?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Former Human posted:

What level of electrical shock is dangerous to your heart? At what point would you experience arrhythmia?

I think it matters a lot if you’re soaking wet or not because if your skin is dry the electricity doesn’t really penetrate it just kind of runs around the outside of you.

I use a Van de Graaff generator every year to create some pretty wicked bolts of electricity that reach about a foot out.

The Van de Graaff generator is kind a like an electric squirt gun. It takes a small amount of electricity and makes it really energetic (high voltage).

Voltage is a measurement of charge density. Voltage is what motivates electricity to move but it is not how you would measure how much it would take to kill someone.

Current, which is measured in amps, is a measurement of how much electricity is actually moving through something.

50mA on your heart and your dead.

How much voltage it takes to get that to happen can be figured out with V= IR because it will depend on the path it travels.

TLDR have dry skin before playing with elctoboom

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I always remember that stuff as it's the volts that jolts and it's the mills that kills.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Also it's not going across the heart. That's much more dangerous.

mewse
May 2, 2006

We shall have to find a different YouTuber to kill Linus Sebastian

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

njsykora posted:

I always remember that stuff as it's the volts that jolts and it's the mills that kills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDf2nhfxVzg

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

More of this please. Glorious.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Electroboom must be blessed by God himself, because he should be dead by now

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

VostokProgram posted:

Electroboom must be blessed by God himself, because he should be dead by now

I think a lot of it is practical special effects.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Some of it is fake and some of is Electroboom being smart and having a good understanding what's safe. Though the guy did nearly kill himself when a jacob's ladder contraption fell over and he caught with his hands.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Raygereio posted:

Some of it is fake and some of is Electroboom being smart and having a good understanding what's safe. Though the guy did nearly kill himself when a jacob's ladder contraption fell over and he caught with his hands.

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g1z47U_kZQ

Looks staged to me. (As it should be)

mewse
May 2, 2006

The last video for the LTT illuminati PC is up, the client was D-Brand

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

mewse posted:

The last video for the LTT illuminati PC is up, the client was D-Brand

Was it really? I thought that was a joke to plug a sponsor

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Ziploc posted:

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g1z47U_kZQ

Looks staged to me. (As it should be)

Nope, that's real.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So I was right. He does have divine protection

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah he generally does stuff that not life threatening but still hurts a bit. He knows what he’s doing. But when stuff goes “wrong” it’s kinda up in the air.

That video I think definitely looks like an accident that he almost really hurt himself with.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Nope, that's real.

Holy poo poo. . . I am going to guess the only reason he is alive is because he squeezed the rods together when they fell over causing a more direct short before his heart that might have tripped a safety (GFCI, breaker, magic smoke, something?).

I like that he posted on reddit about it being fake, but in my opinion, if I had watched that video I would think it was just another stunt. Mehdi doesn't seem to have any fear of electrocuting himself. My brother in law is the same way, he is a lineman now at a lower company, before that he was (still is, as a hobby) a rancher and he would just walk up and grab an electric fence to check if it's on it not. A loving electric fence designed to shock thousand pounds cows with enough pain to turn them away. Every other rancher I know refuses to touch electric fences but it just doesn't bother my brother in law at all. I assume he is smart enough to not try that trick with the power lines (he's been a lineman for years and is still alive).

Another example, my step dad and his family had a box. . . The box had two metal handles and a knob, one person grabs the handles while another grabs the knob to crank up the voltage as a test of masculinity, I guess it's like an alternative to a fist fight for settling arguments. I kinda want to build one of those boxes someday, but I have no idea how safe or dangerous such a device might be. I don't remember how their box was powered, I know their box was home made and I hope it was not mains powered.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 25, 2020

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Modern ones use vibrations instead.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Modern ones use vibrations instead.
I wasn't talking about sex toys.

Seriously though, do you have any idea what I can search google for if em, a friend wants to build a shock box? I doubt "shock box" or "electrocute yourself" will get the desired google results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Not Wolverine posted:

I wasn't talking about sex toys.

Seriously though, do you have any idea what I can search google for if em, a friend wants to build a shock box? I doubt "shock box" or "electrocute yourself" will get the desired google results.

Seriously, the modern ones you see in arcades use vibrations, instead of electricity, because actually zapping people is a giant liability. Their machines probably some sort of static generator?

Big Clive did a video on it, too, actually shocking himself, because Big Clive:
https://youtu.be/wR6g38Pxwog