Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1341791468227325954?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nickel and diming poo poo by the yankees .

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
oh no they made Zack upset https://twitter.com/zbritton/status/1341798658782715905

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I could have sworn the Dodgers tried to sign Zack Britton as a free agent but he didn’t want to be on the west coast so he went to the Yankees instead.

Or maybe that was another highly coveted reliever at the time?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Hey Cubs so you've signed like a half dozen washed up righty relievers, which is great and all, but any chance you could address the fact that we only have two outfielders? Or only three-ish starting pitchers? Or hell, if you want to stick to relievers, the fact that we only have one lefty in the pen and he was dogshit last year?"

"NO MORE WASHED UP RIGHTY RELIEVERS!"

https://twitter.com/ballskwok/status/1341600265523388416

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Biagini is either terrible or injured at varying intervals but he's also extremely goony so congrats

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I remember two things about Joe Biagini: He found out about a teammate's trade from a fan in a grocery store, and in his first game after the Jays traded him he pitched part of a combined no-hitter.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah it looked like the Astros killed the trade for Sanchez and Biagini at first. Sanchez is still only 28 and is throwing for teams so maybe he still has a comeback in him

vvv I was there for the Fiers one so it's a whole mess of things. Fiers the guy who blew the whistle, no hitting the Dodgers who were the victims two years in a row

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That combined no-hitter is the only one I’ve ever seen in person, so I can’t hate on Biagini too much. He does seem pretty bad and injury-prone though.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Chamale posted:

I remember two things about Joe Biagini: He found out about a teammate's trade from a fan in a grocery store, and in his first game after the Jays traded him he pitched part of a combined no-hitter.

Joe Biagini’s claim to fame:

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/813175363869/?jwsource=cl

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Intruder posted:

Yeah it looked like the Astros killed the trade for Sanchez and Biagini at first. Sanchez is still only 28 and is throwing for teams so maybe he still has a comeback in him

vvv I was there for the Fiers one so it's a whole mess of things. Fiers the guy who blew the whistle, no hitting the Dodgers who were the victims two years in a row

A lot of Jays fans were upset with this deal.

It is the type of the deal where no one is the winner!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I really have no idea what the Jays saw in Fisher that made them want to give up anything at all for him, even if Sanchez's blister issues had crippled his career to that point

The only thing of note Fisher did as an Astro was pinch run for and look exactly like Brian McCann to score the game winning run in game 5

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Intruder posted:

I really have no idea what the Jays saw in Fisher that made them want to give up anything at all for him, even if Sanchez's blister issues had crippled his career to that point

The only thing of note Fisher did as an Astro was pinch run for and look exactly like Brian McCann to score the game winning run in game 5

Fishers first game for the Jays where he let a fly ball hit him in the face instead of catching it set the tone pretty well

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gerblederp posted:

Fishers first game for the Jays where he let a fly ball hit him in the face instead of catching it set the tone pretty well

lmao I forgot this happened

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

lmao I forgot this happened

Same lol

I do remember we finally got that Derek Fisher/Matt Barnes matchup and Fisher got a hit

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's hard to forget what happened with Fisher. Jays fans were all salty about Sanchez being traded away, but we had some hope Fisher might turn out better than we expected, and then that happened in the first inning of his first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwi5WHYg3l0

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The offseason will pick up as soon as all teams decide to make offers on the same day.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1342182277355286528?s=21

hate this team

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Minecraft Bob Nutting off Mt. Washington

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the gently caress

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Good to see Pittsburgh keeping up with the competition for once!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1342183132947214341?s=21

who the gently caress

Hope Cherington has a heart attack

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1342183132947214341?s=21

who the gently caress

Hope Cherington has a heart attack
I've only heard of Wil Crowe but he's nothing super special

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

bell isn't an fa until 2023.

good lord, what a steal for washington.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So these are the #3 and #6 Nats prospects according to MLB.com.

However, the Nats' system is really bare right now and I forgot that Crowe actually reached the majors this year and was not good. He's also already 26.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

aramis ramirez-rear end trade

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Yean was apparently a fast riser with multiple teams asking after him. Crowe is a back-end starter at best.

Not sure what to think of Bell's inconsistent performance up til now, but he doesn't need to be better than ok for this deal to make sense.

First move the Nats have made this offseason that makes it look like they are actually making an effort to win which is nice too.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

bell isn't an fa until 2023.

good lord, what a steal for washington.

Depends if you think Bell's good season was an outlier, or who he really is, I guess.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Feel bad for the Pirates posters, but sure I’ll take that trade.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Couple of slap dicks

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The whole long-term problem of the Nats franchise is they had no farm system to bring in the sorts of players they couldn't afford to sign in free agency, but that sort of calculation gets screwed up when you remember there's teams like the Pirates out there just begging to be fleeced.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Holy gently caress what a terrible trade. Sorry Pirates fans. :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They traded bell !!!!????!??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He had 2 years of team control smh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1342188563350380548

lmao Cubs are absolutely going to trade Bryant for some bottom tier farm's #8 and #15 prospects to get his unreasonable salary off poor old Tom's books.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MLB is insane

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Why have a player who can hit like a truck when you could have a borderline relief prospect and a rookie-ball kid, that's where the market is

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How is Josh Bell only at 2.6 career WAR? Man, WAR really hates first basemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bell is only 223 PA's away from a year where he OPS'd .936 with 37 dingers, is only 28, and under control for two seasons. And execs are asking if the Pirates had to kick in money to get the Nats to graciously take him for two guys who can hardly even be called lottery tickets.

MLB is beyond hosed right now.