Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yep. im bummed I cancelled my initial funimation order, but also glad I didnt go ahead and buy one of those $100+ Japan copies on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

From Kino Lorber:

Coming April 27th on 4KUHD!

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1967)
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase (5000)
• Reversible Art

4KUHD DISC 1:
• 179-Minute Extended Cut (Over 30 Hours of Extensive Shot-by-Shot Color Grading)
• Audio Commentary by Noted Cultural Historian Sir Christopher Frayling
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Schickel
• English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround / 2.0 Stereo / 2.0 Mono
• Dual-Layered UHD100 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

BLU-RAY DISC 2:
• 162-Minute Theatrical Cut (2017 Color Correction)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• Leone's West: Making of Documentary
• Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone and GBU Featurette Part 1
• Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone and GBU Featurette Part 2
• The Leone Style: On Sergio Leone Featurette
• The Man Who Lost the Civil War: Civil War Documentary
• Reconstruction GBU
• Deleted Scene 1: Extended Tuco Torture scene
• Deleted Scene 2: The Socorro Sequence - A Reconstruction
• Deleted Scene 3: Skeletons in the Desert
• Deleted Scene 4: Extended Torture Scene
• Vignette 1: Uno, Due, Tre
• Vignette 2: Italian Lunch
• Vignette 3: New York Accent
• Vignette 4: Gun in Holster
• Alternate Scene: The Optical Flip
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Ernest Dickerson
• GBU on the Set – Image Gallery
• Promoting GBU – Image Gallery
• Original U.S. Theatrical Trailer
• Original French Theatrical Trailer
• A Fistful of Dollars – Trailer
• For a Few Dollars More – Trailer 1
• For a Few Dollars More – Trailer 2
• A Fistful of Dollars / For a Few Dollars More – Burning at Both Ends Trailer
• A Fistful of Dollars / For a Few Dollars More – Burning at Both Ends Radio Spot
• English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround | 2.0 Mono
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 179 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated R
For three men the Civil War wasn’t hell… it was practice! By far the most ambitious, unflinchingly graphic and stylistically influential western ever made, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a classic actioner shot through with a volatile mix of myth and realism. Screen legend Clint Eastwood (A Fistful of Dollars) returns as “The Man with No Name,” this time teaming with two gunslingers to pursue a cache of $200,000 and letting no one, not even warring factions in a civil war, stand in their way. From sun-drenched panoramas to bold hard close-ups, exceptional camerawork captures the beauty and cruelty of the barren landscape and the hardened characters who stride unwaveringly through it. Hailed as “the best directed movie of all time” by Quentin Tarantino, this epic masterpiece was directed by the great Sergio Leone (Once Upon a Time in the West) and co-stars Lee Van Cleef (For a Few Dollars More) as Angel Eyes and Eli Wallach (The Magnificent Seven) in the role of Tuco. Music by legendary composer Ennio Morricone (Death Rides a Horse).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The 4K is only the extended cut, am I reading that right? Why the hell would they do that?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Origami Dali posted:

The 4K is only the extended cut, am I reading that right? Why the hell would they do that?

I'm bummed about that too. I only recently saw the theatrical cut and now realize it's the superior version.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Peter Jackson put out a promo for Get Back. It's just a sort of montage but it has me hyped about the project and if this promo is any indication then the movie looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UocEGvQ10OE

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
My VinSyn order finally showed up :woop:

I’m really impressed overall with their packaging, but The Beastmaster package in particular is incredible. I bought Alphabet City based on the case alone (I mean, it does sound interesting too) and it’s a beauty.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That good/bad/ugly set went from must buy to don't bother as soon as I saw only the lovely extended version is in 4k. gently caress that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
At least you get the option.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The 4K is the extended cut because that's what the MGM/Cineteca Bologna 4K restoration consists of. Kino had to re-create the theatrical cut for their Blu-ray, which was meant to reflect the 1998 DVD master (which has some slight variations compared to the US prints).

Kino did actually cancel the Dollars UHDs after running some mastering tests, but i'm guessing there's enough demand. I bet the lack of HDR is due to Techniscope being quite grainy and they'd rather play it safe.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Couldn't they just re-edit the 4K extended version into a separate theatrical cut too, or would it probably require an additional license to do any alterations?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Jesus, I mean I know the mail is hosed right now but my VinSyn package was in St Louis, not two hours from me, and it was apparently sent back to its origin point in New Jersey this morning :psyduck:

It's still "on the way" but what in the hell.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Maaaan, I was gonna buy the Resident Evil 4K as a Christmas gift to myself and that poo poo is aaalllllllllllllll gone. :smith:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

Maaaan, I was gonna buy the Resident Evil 4K as a Christmas gift to myself and that poo poo is aaalllllllllllllll gone. :smith:

I’m sorta getting in the boat but I’m curious just how annoying the weird pop up is at the end of each movie. I only heard about it and haven’t seen it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought that rambo collection and blade 4k and crouching tiger 4k I'm a mistake

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I bought that rambo collection and blade 4k and crouching tiger 4k I'm a mistake

Treat yourself! I'm keeping an eye on the Leon (I know, I know) and Crouching Tiger steelbooks.

I hope everyone has a wonderful couple of days, likely filled with movie watching. The gal and I are continuing Mad Men, might throw on White Christmas or Christmas Story (steelbook edition, SMH although it was suuuuper cheap when I got it). But tomorrow, Tokyo Drift 4K, maybe some Gremlins 4K (Finally!), and Die Hard 4K while baking.

My contribution to physical media at large is my mom's X-Mas gift from me is the upcoming "The Freshman" release on Blu-Ray. I can't wait for post-COVID to visit my parents and watch an oldie but goodie. Although they're trying to bully me into the "Trial of the Chicago Seven." And I can't stand Sorkin, aside from The Social Network, so we'll see.

Rambling a bit, excited to ask my GF to combine her physical media library with my physical media library and move in with me this year.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the second copy of Dawn of the Dead 4K I purchased from someone on the blu-ray.com forums came in safe and sound. Going to just ask for my money back from Zavvi and if that set comes in I'll probably just give it to one of my brothers. What a miserable experience its been trying to get a hold of that thing.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Do any of you know why the second volume of the Betty Boop Essentials Collection is impossible to find right now? The others are easily available and it's going to drive me nuts to just have 1, 3, and 4.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Any word on a 4k release of Showgirls in the US or should I quit waiting and pick up the German one?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

FrumpleOrz posted:

Do any of you know why the second volume of the Betty Boop Essentials Collection is impossible to find right now? The others are easily available and it's going to drive me nuts to just have 1, 3, and 4.

Probably just randomly out of stock.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

tonedef131 posted:

Any word on a 4k release of Showgirls in the US or should I quit waiting and pick up the German one?
Every copy of Showgirls is essential.

...I still have the Pin the Pasties on the Showgirls poster on my wall

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FrumpleOrz posted:

Blu- Ray or DVD? 'cause Amazon has the DVD for 18.00

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

Every copy of Showgirls is essential.

...I still have the Pin the Pasties on the Showgirls poster on my wall
I must confess that I’ve never owned it physically. Likely because I’m pretty sure it’s been available on HBO consistently since 1996.

I really thought we’d get a 25th anniversary edition this year considering the 4k scan already exists, it is one of the most successful home video releases of all time, and You Don’t Nomi seems to have reinvigorated interest in it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It probably comes as a surprise, but I have never seen Showgirls

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Blu- Ray or DVD? 'cause Amazon has the DVD for 18.00

Blu-ray. It seems to be out of stock on every site I've looked. It's weird. Hopefully it's just a weird thing at this point in time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Iron Crowned posted:

It probably comes as a surprise, but I have never seen Showgirls

I only saw it in 2018 as part of a Verhoeven series at my local indie theater. It was great. Just a few of us in the theater, but it was a spectacle and we all came out like "what was that??"

RE: weird Blu-Ray stocking, Best Buy doesn't have the Blu-Rays for Better Call Saul aside from like.. 3 and 5. So I went to Amazon for the 2 I was missing.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 24, 2020

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

You haven't lived if you weren't like 15 when Showgirls came out and you used to watch SBtB every day after school.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I was in 5th grade - and an avid Saved by the Bell fan - when I saw the TV spot for Showgirls. My life was never the same.

Also Showgirls loving owns.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Few things in life bring me as much joy as the ratings distribution for Showgirls on Letterboxd.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Few things in life bring me as much joy as the ratings distribution for Showgirls on Letterboxd.

That's uncanny and amazing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have fond memories of watching it Picasso-style, scrambled on basic cable after I manually input the channel number for pay-per-view. You had to use your imagination in those days, but sometimes something would come into resolution for a second or two.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Blu-ray. It seems to be out of stock on every site I've looked. It's weird. Hopefully it's just a weird thing at this point in time.

https://olivefilms.com/product/betty-boop-essential-collection-vol-2/

Was able to select and add the Blu-Ray version to the cart and calculate shipping. I didn't go further than that though. Good luck!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Davros1 posted:

https://olivefilms.com/product/betty-boop-essential-collection-vol-2/

Was able to select and add the Blu-Ray version to the cart and calculate shipping. I didn't go further than that though. Good luck!

Cool, thanks! Don't know how I missed their site!

EDIT: Order went through, we'll see if it ever shows up!

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 25, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Cool, thanks! Don't know how I missed their site!

*salutes*

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The SDR 4K version of Akira ain’t half bad. I’m not super upset by the upgrade at all. It’s less messy looking than the last Region A Blu-Ray. It’ll probably look even better in HDR. Wish it got the same treatment as the GitS UHD but I don’t see that happening ever.

The Dawn of the Dead UHD is amazing. Seen that movie a couple dozen times in my life and it’s never looked as good as it did with the new transfer. Just amazing and the grading and HDR just put it over the top. It needs a proper Region A release so that it’s more easily available.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So Kino Lorber is going to release a Cool As Ice blu-ray.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Genuinely great news. A fantastic looking movie due to Janusz Kaminski, and laugh out loud funny for the entire runtime. I envy anyone getting to watch this print as their first time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

D O W N B Y L A W

S E X M E U P

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Olive Films seems to be barely running as a company. I think in all of 2020, their only releases were Olive Signature editions of Hair and Rio Grande. The year before, I think it was only 2-3 regular discs plus OS editions of The Bells of St. Mary's and A Bucket of Blood. I ordered a copy of Bells from Amazon back in November and it's giving me a Jan 20 delivery date.

On that note, the Boop Blu-rays are generally very good, but pretty much minimal effort. No digital cleanup and no supplements. Also zero attempt to fix the TV distributor logos and titles, the majority of which could be taken from collector's prints. Not to mention even with all four volumes, that's only 49 cartoons out of around 120 - not to mention that Paramount also owns the rest of the Fleischer cartoons other than Popeye and Superman.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

Olive Films seems to be barely running as a company. I think in all of 2020, their only releases were Olive Signature editions of Hair and Rio Grande. The year before, I think it was only 2-3 regular discs plus OS editions of The Bells of St. Mary's and A Bucket of Blood. I ordered a copy of Bells from Amazon back in November and it's giving me a Jan 20 delivery date.

On that note, the Boop Blu-rays are generally very good, but pretty much minimal effort. No digital cleanup and no supplements. Also zero attempt to fix the TV distributor logos and titles, the majority of which could be taken from collector's prints. Not to mention even with all four volumes, that's only 49 cartoons out of around 120 - not to mention that Paramount also owns the rest of the Fleischer cartoons other than Popeye and Superman.

Yeah, I gotta say I haven't been super impressed with the Olive Films discs I've received. I love the Boop cartoons but it's a bit of a letdown to not get a complete set of them. The first thing I bought from Olive was The Undesirable, the early silent film by Michael Curtiz and all of the intertitles have the names changed from Hungarian ones to very American ones like Nick & Betty. I don't know whose decision that was to make but I have a feeling that anyone watching a simple silent melodrama can handle some Hungarian names in a very Hungarian movie. Just a baffling decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Does anyone know if they fixed the obvious reversed shots on Lord of the Rings? The approach to Rohan with the flags and smoke crawling backwards has always stuck out.