Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

holy gently caress new episode of The Expanse just starts immediately at 100 on the intensity scale, good loving lord

noooooo fred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

The way big 2 comics are run seems so ridiculous to me. They essentially operate as ways to beta test new storylines and characters for Disney and Warner Bros. brands, but they are also still tied to a monthly release schedules and expected to turn a profit. It's not far removed from a movie studio expecting their storyboard artists to be profitable in their own right at this point.

The actual writers and artists seem to know the industry better. Lots of creator owned comics are just pitches to turn the IP into TV shows and movies. Even though there are less resources behind those products, they are still often higher quality than big 2 comics. The creators know that a better pitch will make it a little more likely to be picked up for adaptation.

I think some of this is because it's a legacy industry. Marvel and DC Comics are written and drawn by people who really want to be doing it, love the characters, etc. which leaves them ripe for exploitation in the same way that working for Tesla or Google does other folks.

And, of course, because they are capitalist edifaces run on pure cynicism, folks get churned out and left to die while the bosses rake in the big bucks.

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/national/010900edlife-56-edu.html?hc_location=ufi

https://www.comicsbeat.com/comics-creator-william-messner-loebs-is-homeless-and-working-as-a-janitor-in-michigan/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egg Moron posted:

that was a great episode of the expanse, politifact called it a game changer!

the earth may have been completely loving obliterated in a flash, but this is incredible content

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

*in extremely BigDogs voice*

LISTEN HERE COYO, EARTH DESERVED THE ROCKFALL!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the name of the woman engineer on Tycho Station is apparently Sakai

Belters are the only proletariat in the system. The Little Eichmanns on Earth had it coming

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Belters are the only proletariat in the system. The Little Eichmanns on Earth had it coming

Lmao I want to believe that was intentional

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the one time we see normal earth people they're living in a homeless camp and sharing needles

also that shelter the space christian was running with her wife could only stay open due to the personal whim of secretary-general joe biden

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/lyzl/status/1341875527766913024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Imagine i linked the numerous Mr. Potter is the hero takes.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
george survives only to be found floating dead in the same river decades later as blowback during the CIA linked Savings and Loans crisis

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

What's that? You want to hear a bunch of old timey music about sex and drugs?? Well, let's all get gay, the stuff is here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVShoAWp00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFIGVOlN-N0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCSmN-TpPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfKih6FFufw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s6xPRW5d7Q

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Cab Calloway’s “Minnie the Moocher” is the catchiest song you’ve ever heard about the materialistic daydreams of a drug-addicted prostitute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAkFwgcW4Ug

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lmfao holy loving poo poo

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-producer-on-netflixs-three-body-problem-poisoned-in-alleged-murder-plot

someone poisoned a producer on the Three Body Problem project

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

god drat ETO at it again

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

God loving forbid any streaming service has a Christmas movie that isn't a lifetime movie.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Trailer Park Boys Christmas special is all the Christmas movie you need

https://youtu.be/cNn0cCpkMWo

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1342202888492175361

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

God loving forbid any streaming service has a Christmas movie that isn't a lifetime movie.

At somepoint in the last 20 years every Christmas movie became that.

Like what's the last good Christmas movie made before they all became RomComs? Elf?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Rare Exports

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh the Santa under the Finnish mountain horror movie? Yeah that was good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Like what's the last good Christmas movie made before they all became RomComs? Elf?

A Christmas story 2?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

KomradeX posted:

Bad Santa

The best of all Christmas movies

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

who the gently caress watches all these netflix movies with word salad titles like "the princess switch: the christmas knight"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

babypolis posted:

who the gently caress watches all these netflix movies with word salad titles like "the princess switch: the christmas knight"

mentally ill PMCs and boomers i assume.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

babypolis posted:

Feliz naviDAD starting mario lopez

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

KomradeX posted:

Oh the Santa under the Finnish mountain horror movie? Yeah that was good

Yeah it's a blast. Also a member of the increasingly rare breed "horror flick that derives its tension-reducing humor from characters naturally reacting logically to illogical situations" as opposed to the current trends of "everyone's a Whedonesque quipster" or "lol isn't this premise wacky let's keep drawing attention to how wacky it is :imunfunny:"

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

Did Amazon/Bezos really think audiences would doubt any of Marco’s valid points about multiple generations of brutal exploitation? Earth is basically one giant slum in the show ruled by neoliberal tech billionaires.

Also, the giant ANARCHY symbol behind Marco during his broadcast felt so ham-fisted & forced (given the current anarchist protestors in the news), and I don’t even like anarchism.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KomradeX posted:

a muppet christmas carol

Loveshaft posted:

Did Amazon/Bezos really think audiences would doubt any of Marco’s valid points about multiple generations of brutal exploitation? Earth is basically one giant slum in the show ruled by neoliberal tech billionaires.

Also, the giant ANARCHY symbol behind Marco during his broadcast felt so ham-fisted & forced (given the current anarchist protestors in the news), and I don’t even like anarchism.

that symbol has been used by belters on the show since season 1 so i don't think it's in response to that furthermore the plot has been laid out in the books for some time n-- please don't shove me in a locker again sir

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
is there any emotional roller coaster bigger than the high of Linus reciting the gospel of Luke to the low of Charlie Brown saying "I've killed it. everything I touch gets ruined!" to the high of "hark the herald angels sing"

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

babypolis posted:

my mom

wait no

your mom

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stairmaster posted:

mentally ill PMCs and boomers i assume.

Yeah, boomers don't have to pretend to care about their kids or their childhoods anymore and want to relive the days when their dicks worked and they didn't have kids to worry about, is my guess

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Also a member of the increasingly rare breed "horror flick that derives its tension-reducing humor from characters naturally reacting logically to illogical situations"

this is bill paxton in aliens, the only logical reaction to xenomorphs is :supaburn:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Doctor Jeep posted:

this is bill paxton in aliens, the only logical reaction to xenomorphs is :supaburn:

fun fact: sigourney weaver wanted a sex scene with the alien

honestly thats probably an unusually healthy and human reaction to the presence of the other

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hodgepodge posted:

fun fact: sigourney weaver wanted a sex scene with the alien

honestly thats probably an unusually healthy and human reaction to the presence of the other

I mean the alien is deliberately meant to look like like it's all dicks

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
sighorny weaver

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Eox posted:

sighorny weaver

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dreylad posted:

a muppet christmas carol

I hate to break it to you, but that movie it's closer to 30 years old than it is 20.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Yeah it's a blast. Also a member of the increasingly rare breed "horror flick that derives its tension-reducing humor from characters naturally reacting logically to illogical situations" as opposed to the current trends of "everyone's a Whedonesque quipster" or "lol isn't this premise wacky let's keep drawing attention to how wacky it is :imunfunny:"

Yeah it's nice to see humor arise out if the situation naturally. Like the Whedonesque quips were okay when it was just whatever garbage he was making. But now it's in everything. Personally it's why I have a hard time watching that first Scream movie today it's just loaded with that

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

KomradeX posted:

Yeah it's nice to see humor arise out if the situation naturally. Like the Whedonesque quips were okay when it was just whatever garbage he was making. But now it's in everything. Personally it's why I have a hard time watching that first Scream movie today it's just loaded with that

as good as scream is, it was probably pretty close to patient zero for the whole oh so self aware thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
apparently the new Wonder Woman is neoliberal “be grateful for what you have, disgusting poors” garbage. lmao also it’s a 150 minute IDF commercial

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Dec 25, 2020