Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

am I being punked right now? Outside of a single good year, Josh Bell is extremely meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bell was a 2nd round pick lmao

They got 4 years from him

Jesus Christ

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Like, Josh Bell is a bad defensive first basemen who has one good outliar year and was complete dogshit last year. What do you expect people to trade for him

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think it's poor form to make sweeping claims about a player in their prime having a bad 2020 season when said season was 60 games long amid a pandemic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pirates have an abundance of 140 ops+ players to replace him with

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paul Zuvella posted:

Like, Josh Bell is a bad defensive first basemen who has one good outliar year and was complete dogshit last year. What do you expect people to trade for him

lmao at taking anything a player did in 2020 into consideration. It's basically 1/3rd of a regular season's worth of PA's, means absolutely nothing. The Nats just got two years of a 28 year old who seemed to finally put it together in 2019 for what is little more than players to be named later.

Also just as an aside, it's crazy to me that people think Bell is a bust because he wasn't immediately a breakout player at age 23, and it took him until age 26 to figure things out. Not everybody is Juan Soto: some guys actually take a couple years to figure it out at the MLB level when they debut so young.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Shocked he didn’t go to an AL team tbh, genuinely the worst defensive player I’ve seen in MLB

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If it was Yean and another high upside guy I could understand it, but Crowe is major league filler and sucks. What a terrible move

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hoyer made some comments a week or so ago that NL execs are operating under the assumption there will be a universal DH in 2021, regardless of the current uncertainty. :shrug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

In their wisdom the Pirates have traded Bell when his value is at rock bottom, great work all around

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Paul Zuvella posted:

am I being punked right now? Outside of a single good year, Josh Bell is extremely meh

Almost all of his production in his good year was in the first two months too. There is some obvious upside but he's probably much closer to a 110 ops+ hitter than a 140 one. But 110 ops+ would probably make him 3rd best hitter on the Nats right now anyway lol.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah this - and it was really only a good half year, he was pretty mediocre in the 2nd half of 2019 too.

I still don't think this is a good return for Pittsburgh though; Crowe looks like a AAAA guy at best.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

have any of you considered that bell is cool

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

bell is cool and I hope his good half in 2019 is more indicative of the rest of his career than the second half of it or 2020.

but at the same time, I'm not super shocked that he was traded for what appear to be magic beans

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's kinda jarring to see goons overhype Josh Bell so much. Look at the dude's career WAR - he should probably be a DH at this point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember when “add up the wars” was what we said to make fun of people

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
MLB locked in a game of chicken where nobody wants good players because they cost too much. Nobody wants mediocre players because they aren't good players. Nobody wants minor leaguers because you have to feed them. MLB is probably studying Blaseball and trying figure out how to sell jerseys and tickets to 'premium experiences' at the stadium without actually having a single player on payroll.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

euphronius posted:

I remember when “add up the wars” was what we said to make fun of people

cool I'm glad SAS matured a little bit

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Josh Bell is probably an ok-to-good player, but he was also cheap for two more years and the fans liked him and he was a cool dude.

If you're gonna trade bell for nothing, just keep him and then let him walk in two years and let the fans have some dingers and fun dugout antics

Thanks cooter and the shark, I'll hang up and listen

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

have any of you considered that bell is cool

Sorry I can't find COOL on bref

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

even in his bad 2020, josh bell was in the 87th percentile in exit velocity, the 69th percentile for hard hit %, 55th percentile barrel rate, 61st percentile walk rate. there's some cool stuff there and if you look at his career year by year, all of those numbers were relatively stable or slightly rising until 2020. his launch angle going 6.4 > 8.6 > 9.5 > 12.9 > 5.9 also suggests something funky went on in 2020. it sounds like a ton of hitters really struggled because it wasn't as easy?/wasn't at all possible? to head into the clubhouse and review video of your swing to make in-game adjustments; I remember seeing it most prominently in some "what went wrong with Christian Yelich" kind of stuff. pretty much every major leaguer had their daily routine thrown completely off course during the first of the plague seasons, and some folks I'm sure wore it harder than others. trading a dude at his absolute lowest value out of presumably financial anxiety is the most Pirates move possible I would say and I bet Bell looks cool as heck and mashes bunches of taters in DC

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Pirates are a cursed franchise so I fully expect this to blow up in their faces.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

The value of 1B/DH guys on the market has been terrible for a while now. They probably weren't gonna get a good return for him at any time other than 2019, even if he played decently next year. I think its a little light for the Pirates, just not by that much. But this is one of those moves thats going to feel bad for Pirates fans pretty much no matter what.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

achillesforever6 posted:

Minecraft Bob Nutting off Mt. Washington

modnote: There's been a forums-wide goal of discouraging posting about gratuitously killing people, even billionaire sports franchise owners. In general, the use of the 'in Minecraft' meme will probably be frowned upon.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sydin posted:

lmao at taking anything a player did in 2020 into consideration. It's basically 1/3rd of a regular season's worth of PA's, means absolutely nothing. The Nats just got two years of a 28 year old who seemed to finally put it together in 2019 for what is little more than players to be named later.

Also just as an aside, it's crazy to me that people think Bell is a bust because he wasn't immediately a breakout player at age 23, and it took him until age 26 to figure things out. Not everybody is Juan Soto: some guys actually take a couple years to figure it out at the MLB level when they debut so young.

No ones calling him a bust, but he is way closer to a replacement level player than people are acting. A DH who OPS+s 110 is just not that valuable

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who are the pirates replacing him with

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Who are the pirates replacing him with

I dunno, some other dude who in on a rookie scale and also is barely above replacement level, probably.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was really good last year and in his prime lol

Oh well maybe I don’t think like an owner

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I guess the Yankees wouldn't be able to get much more for Voit...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

modnote: There's been a forums-wide goal of discouraging posting about gratuitously killing people, even billionaire sports franchise owners. In general, the use of the 'in Minecraft' meme will probably be frowned upon.

being a pirates fan in minecraft

e: the joke is that it's an act of self harm :v:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 25, 2020

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

He was really good last year and in his prime lol

Oh well maybe I don’t think like an owner

He was awful last year, actually. He was really good for like 2 and a half months 2 years ago but has been very bad since then.

Luke Voit is better than Bell in almost every meaningful statistical way and no one would bat an eye if he was traded for magic beans

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 25, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Last year : 2019

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
why is the Minecraft mean even making the rounds again

(note: I do know that the ultimate answer is "anti-Semitism", just wondering if there's an intermediate cause)

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
loving piece of poo poo franchise

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

elentar posted:

why is the Minecraft mean even making the rounds again

(note: I do know that the ultimate answer is "anti-Semitism", just wondering if there's an intermediate cause)

I know there was a lot of twitter joking about it because of how much trouble the elderly judge doing the Charlottesville case is having wrapping his head around internet slang for committing acts of violence on alt right message boards

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
I'm torn between wanting Josh Bell to absolutely mash to make this trade look as dumb as possible and not wanting the Nationals to be any good to raise the chances of the Braves winning the division again.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hand Knit posted:

Okay good to know sorry

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

The margin of error for 1B/DH is just crazy thin. If they aren't a consistently above average hitters then they have nothing to offer, so teams have started treating them as sort of fungible. I'm not sure how to fix that, even the expectation of universal dh doesn't seemed to have shifted teams thinking on it.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

We can debate Josh Bell's Trade Value and stuff but it still sucks to lose a cool player like that because the owner is cheap. Sorry Pirates bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Pirates GM said Joe Musgrove and Adam Frazier are on the block too. I get that it's a rebuild and all but good lord this team is gonna lose 100+ games next year and look especially awful doing it