Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

If you ever drive through the texas pandhandle with drugs drive approx 4mph under the speed limit. The people that live out there and especially the cops are absolute fuckin psychos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

What's stopping you from doing that in the safety of your own home

its the experience u nerd

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Devils Affricate posted:

Come on down to South of the Border!*

*not actually south of the border, don't drive too far south!

It is immediately south of the border, in fact

The NC SC border

And it's wonderfully, hilariously terrible. I wish I could have seen it in its heyday

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
South of the (Mason-Dixon) Border.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

i must have it

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

:same:

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Chinatown posted:

i must have it

Forget it

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

The Bananana posted:

drat, you know that dude in the tie pulls major tail.

Second from the left is hung like an old mans arm.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Old people eating disgusts me

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

Come on down to South of the Border!*

*not actually south of the border, don't drive too far south!

it actually is, just not the border you're thinking of

e: badly beaten

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Something tells me this coon hunter doesn't hunt racoons at all. :thunk:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Muk Dumpster posted:

Old people eating disgusts me

Yeah they're really past best before date lol

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Bronze Fonz posted:

Something tells me this coon hunter doesn't hunt racoons at all. :thunk:

When I was a kid, I used to think that the "Coon Hunters Club" near the town where I grew up was a Klan cover. I'm still not sure.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I checked out Paul Bunyan’s Famous Cook Shanty on Google and I dunno it looks kinda good.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we stopped at south of the border once when i was a kid. the enchiladas were about half as good as schwan's, which is weird because they were also obviously microwaved

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Small town America always makes me depressed. Is that weird?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's the proper reaction really

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

John Yossarian posted:

Small town America always makes me depressed. Is that weird?

Not weird at all. Small town America is very depressing. I grew up in a small town and like 90% of my high school class still live there despite having grand ambitions as a teenager.

I'm sure they're relatively happy or whatever, but small towns are kind of a trap that's very hard to escape when your entire family, friend group and career prospects have never left. And the cycle continues.

Of course this isn't a universal experience, just my Midwest poo poo hole

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Professor Latency posted:

I heard someone talking about not having any time to date a woman who still hung out at her mother's house all the time, and that led me down an introspective rabbit hole where I eventually realized there is seemingly a direct and nearly perfect correlation between "people I know who went to college beyond four years" and "people who moved out of our small Midwestern hometown." Again hardly saying it is impossible to be happy staying in your hometown, but I even wanted to stay there and had to accept there was absolutely nothing there for me

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's definitely a mixed bag of feelings. Being raised in small towns makes a lot of the poo poo I've posted give me nostalgia, but my life is unquestionably better having gotten out.

I don't know that I really want to move back, I'm sure it's rose tinted glasses, but it grows ever more tempting now that remote jobs are more acceptable.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

goatface posted:

It means everything in the wasteland between the coasts.

IE all of America.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Professor Latency posted:

Not weird at all. Small town America is very depressing. I grew up in a small town and like 90% of my high school class still live there despite having grand ambitions as a teenager.

I'm sure they're relatively happy or whatever, but small towns are kind of a trap that's very hard to escape when your entire family, friend group and career prospects have never left. And the cycle continues.

That's not what the numbers are saying. I've talked to them and they say that rural areas are dying pretty much everywhere in the developed world. The MAGA revolution is basically a last desperate attempt to make these places relevant again before they become totally depopulated wastelands and shooting locations for horror movies about inbred mutants abducting campers or whatever

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheAardvark posted:

It's definitely a mixed bag of feelings. Being raised in small towns makes a lot of the poo poo I've posted give me nostalgia, but my life is unquestionably better having gotten out.

I don't know that I really want to move back, I'm sure it's rose tinted glasses, but it grows ever more tempting now that remote jobs are more acceptable.

If you can make NYC money and live in BFE you've got it made, as long as that slow, sparse lifestyle appeals to you

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

The Bloop posted:

If you can make NYC money and live in BFE you've got it made, as long as that slow, sparse lifestyle appeals to you

This is actually a big problem right now because corona has allowed for exactly this to happen. now rural america had to compete with nyc and la for housing.

People from NYC are buying things sight unseen cash money for tens of thousands over asking out in the country and you can't even dream of competing against it because you don't make nyc wages.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

looks sick, on my way

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcw326PJuDw
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...1!1BCgIgARICCAI

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

sorry but neil young is canadian

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Truman Peyote posted:

looks sick, on my way

Reminds me when I went to Kalispell Montana there was a pub called Moose’s kalispell was a poo poo hole but that gross pub loving rocked

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

other people posted:

sorry but neil young is canadian

Cananda can be Americana.jpg

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Weird tribute to floyd but whatever

HOMO ERECTUS posted:

I snuck a cat into that place once

whats the story here

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Atticus_1354 posted:

Cananda can be Americana.jpg

I almost called the thread "Small Town.jpg"

Honestly I would be fascinated by the Other Country equivalents of the poo poo ITT.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

TheAardvark posted:

I almost called the thread "Small Town.jpg"

Honestly I would be fascinated by the Other Country equivalents of the poo poo ITT.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 25, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dunno this looks kinda cool

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
what is going on with that huge ball building??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Gatts posted:

Dunno this looks kinda cool

It's a cabane à sucre and it's where you eat some pretty amazing traditional food and lots of maple.