Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Caesar Saladin posted:

It must be kinda nice to work for Star Citizen as a developer. Just kinda fuckin around, maybe making a little bit of video game occasionally, no pressure to release anything, no crunch because there aren't any real projects or deadlines. Could they actually be the most ethical company to work for?

IIRC it's pretty miserable because Croberts is an inept micromanager demanding random changes all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is a more embarrassing role for Eric Roberts than A Talking Cat!?!

Eric Roberts doesn't give a gently caress. If there's a paycheck involved he's in.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
CIG is the stupidest acronym. Why not ASH or BUTT

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Caesar Saladin posted:

It must be kinda nice to work for Star Citizen as a developer. Just kinda fuckin around, maybe making a little bit of video game occasionally, no pressure to release anything, no crunch because there aren't any real projects or deadlines. Could they actually be the most ethical company to work for?

They probably pay garbage.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

They pay garbage, and it's eternal crunch, each day, every day.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

how much money do i have to give to be a middle manager on someones elses space ship

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

numberoneposter posted:

how much money do i have to give to be a middle manager on someones elses space ship

Also do I give to money the guy and he gives it Roberts or do I pay Roberts directly?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Queen Victorian posted:

So I’ve been following the shitshow that is Star Citizen off and on for a few years now. I’m a UI/UX designer and I enjoy learning about game design (to the point of reading books and attending talks and such). Basically, I know enough to know that they’re going about it rear end backwards.

One thing I’ve never really been able to figure out is what the hell you actually do in this game. It doesn’t seem like core gameplay was ever really resolved. It’s like they wanted to build a kitchen but skipped straight to the finishes, so the cabinet doors and drawers are just the faces glued onto plywood forms and don’t actually open, the water isn’t hooked up because there is no plumbing, the stove is missing and the design didn’t even account for one, the microwave is a fake prop from an IKEA showroom, the layout doesn’t make sense and you can’t even cook in it, but just look at the shiny granite and the slick lighting and all the amazing finishes we picked out!

Like is there (or supposed to be) any sort of overarching objective beyond doing inane fetch quests, aimlessly wandering around various bleak sterile environments while hoping you don’t clip through the wall and die, and buying space coffee and mixing space cocktails for no in-game reason? Seriously what’s the point? Or do I just not get it because I don’t appreciate the ~*fidelity*~ and also find the idea of roleplaying as spacemen doing boring petty space things in a hollow boring version of space really loving boring?

While considering the pointlessness of doing anything in Star Citizen and all its glitches and bugs, my brain conjured up the amusing idea of a meta commentary game akin to the Stanley Parable in which you wake up in your space bed in your space apartment and are assigned a space mission and set out to get to your spaceship so you can run the mission, only to get killed by a glitch, causing you to respawn in your bed, and upon trying again and avoiding the first glitch, you find more glitches and the more you die and respawn, the more the glitches compound, to the point you are deliberately triggering glitches to avoid other glitches and poo poo, and you basically never make it to your ship and you win the game when you walk away from your computer. I wish I had motivation and could actually program games because this would probably be fun to make.

That was absolutely my experience of the game when I played it so it's possible this is some kind of high art long con

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Well, I just bought it, you rear end in a top hat. I hope you're happy. (I don't know if it's good yet. I'll get to it. One day.)

.... It's on sale for five dollars. But using this thread to buy games seems like bad habit to get into.

I'm happy to share my terrible taste in games, but now I'll feel bad if you didn't like it. :(

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Roberts Space Industries: Letter from the Chairman

quote:

What Chris says makes perfect sense. Every bit of it. It's logical and factual and fits.

That won't stop the small but vocal detractors who have "claimed" to be done with this game but are more emotionally invested in the forums than that claim supports.

What I love most about what Chris said is what he (very overtly) implied: every objective measure (the measures that count) demonstrate how healthy this game is, including the broad positive support for what they are doing, and intellectually honest understanding and acceptance of how long it takes. Relatively few people are afflicted with nonsense conspiracy ideas like "they'll never release the game, it's the concept loop income they are after!", but that'll be the negative narrative on the forums - the same, tired narrative that doesn't change, even as the game changes and improves quarter by quarter, in big and important ways.

When you zoom out and look at the whole - it's clear CIG has this and SC is doing amazingly well. To see the player engagement numbers end all suggestions that it isn't is glorious indeed.

It's a good, content Christmas to be a supporter of Star Citizen! It's never been better, and it only keeps getting better!

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
drivable now!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

it was a very long time ago now but my favourite croberts moment was when he was showing the game off live on stream

the first thing he did after having to be shown how to log in is point at the chat interface and say "what the hell is this? it sucks, change it"

aside from how he had somehow never seen it before, apparently he has a habit of just telling people to redo stuff for no good reason which probably isn't good for employee morale, and he couldn't even suppress that reaction for the purpose of putting on a good stream

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

CIG is the stupidest acronym. Why not ASH or BUTT

You could always make a browser extension that replaces all instances of CIG with BUTT if you want :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
NGL, I'd love Space Stanley Parable.

Also I can imagine that working at CIG is you're working, suddenly CRobs appears screaming "I wanted the padding to have a kid leather texture, not calf leather!!!! You FIX THIS NOW!!!!"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The roadmap to me has no inherent hype. I think some people see it as this thing that exists on its own. It's just a fancy way of looking at the work of hundreds of developers. That work exists and progresses whether the roadmap exists or not.

I log in with each patch and I'm LITERALLY BLOWN AWAY by the progress. I am not alone. Reddit is littered with the same - the distribution of posts of people seriously excited about what's being delivered grows in proportion to the alternate feelings with every single patch. This is corroborated by the player participation data and the pledge-o-meter performance.

I don't need hype when I can hold quality output in my hands. So no hype - they are on a great trajectory, delivering solid progress, and the roadmap is an unprecedented view into how it all gets done. Hype not required!

The proof in the pudding is in the eating, as the phrase goes. And the eating is currently very good!

Merry Christmas!

quote:

Dude, you need to realize a few things:
  1. The amount of hate is actually relatively tiny; the term "vocal minority" exists for a reason, and applies here, 1000%.
  2. If you want to see the counter balance to the angsty, vitriolic hatred on the forums and here, simply take a gander at that skyrocketing, astronomical, World Record Setting "Pledge O Meter" and remember that people generally don't spend money on things they don't enjoy, and you'll understand that for every 1 hater, there are literally 10's of thousands of supporters.
Then take a deep breath, let it out with a smile and understand you are on the right side of history, as is being borne out in data points that cannot be angrily argued away.

The "negative narrative" has changed little since it began in 2013, but the game has progressed enough that it just keeps looking sillier and sillier.

The inflection point where this game proved it's on the right path and is awesome and continuing to be more awesome with every quarterly release occurred back in the early 3.x release cycle, when persistence started to gel and you can see that reflected in the funding gains and most recently in the amazingly elucidating player engagement metrics that Chris shared in his end of year letter.

Haters gonna hate. That they claim to be done with the game, but like a cringey stalker spend all their time here hating on it, is the real puzzler!

Bottom line: let not your heart be troubled. All is well in SC!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'm happy that some people are enjoying their game.

I just don't believe them.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get croberts and elon to form the dumbest game company on earth

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

George H.W. oval office posted:

Get croberts and elon to form the dumbest game company on earth

A game that somehow violates all OSHA standards.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Wait what was his involvement in a talking cat?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AcidRonin posted:

He was a talking cat

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

*Runs directly into Chris Roberts' office. Gasps for air, leaning against his desk*

Chris. Chris! What if - *wheeze, cough* - what if, on top of fake ships, we sell fake Training Certificates!? You know, for those who want to give us money, but just can't afford a ship of their own? We market the ships to the rich, but what about all those people, those real people, who are going to crew them??? The space middle class!! Five dollars for a Bachelor's Degree in Shield Harmonics. Ten dollars for a Master's in Artisanal Mixology! For just a bit of cash you'll have easy proof of your character's aptitude that'll set you head and shoulders above the competition!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I think you’re on to something, but for the whales...in order to legally pilot each vesse you need a master’s license. You can buy them, but only people who have paid for the training can have a 20/50/100 ton license or, for $10,000 you can have the coveted unlimited master’s license!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AcidRonin posted:

He voiced the title character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-h-KpG2tHM

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Holy gently caress lol

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It sounds like he literally phoned in all his lines..

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Binary Badger posted:

It sounds like he literally phoned in all his lines..

Probably did. Look at his filmography: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000616/

This dude works.
2012: 25 acting credits
2013: 37 acting credits including A talking Cat

The Perception came out in 2018, a year for which he has 30 acting credits. I don't think anything embarrasses him. Dude is laughing all the way to the bank.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's like some monkey's paw or trickster jinn or something. "I wish I was a famous actor" and the wish comes true but with the curse that he is literally incapable of saying no to any job that is offered to him.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

baw posted:

how can you feel truly immersed if you can't smell david "ANAM" wolfner when you're next to him

ANAM sounds like some weird medical instruction acronym like DNR. I also love how he is wanted for "classified" because it would be important to know why we should care he's on the loose.

Edit:ok I know why ANAM sounds medical to me. It's the TBI test they give you in the military which sounds about right for someone that addicted to an unreleased game.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I thought it was something along the lines of IANAL "I Am Not A Lawyer", but like "Am Not A Molester", which raises further questions already answered by the acronym.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Facebook Aunt posted:

This dude works.

The Perception came out in 2018, a year for which he has 30 acting credits. I don't think anything embarrasses him. Dude is laughing all the way to the bank.

There’s a local filmmaker whose development hell passion project finally came out last year and a big draw was hey, we got Eric Roberts!

And it’s like, nice, glad to hear the check didn’t bounce.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
ANAM is gonna get caught. If you're gonna wear camo pants in space they need to be white on black polka dot

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They probably pay garbage.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the pay was something like.20% below the industry average. Then again, the company produces 100% fewer working games than the industry average, so overall it's a pretty good deal.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Ashmole posted:

ANAM sounds like some weird medical instruction acronym like DNR. I also love how he is wanted for "classified" because it would be important to know why we should care he's on the loose.

The whole thing sounds like something a totalitarian government would put out on a completely non-violent political malcontent. "What was his crime? None of your business. And don't you dare talk to him, just call us."

He's not some badass antihero mercenary. He's a victim of the system. All he did was steal that CPAP machine because he was Wake Apnea (very common in the space future) and needed it to live.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sormus posted:

I thought it was something along the lines of IANAL "I Am Not A Lawyer", but like "Am Not A Molester", which raises further questions already answered by the acronym.

Excuse me, that’s classified! Innocent until proven guilty!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

This dude works.

Some actors are like maybe Ian McKellen. They're doing it for the art, luvvie. That's not to be disparaging of them. They regard acting as an artform that deserves respect. They pick and choose roles that challenge them, allow them to express themselves, to make a statement. Other actors are like Eric Roberts, or Lance Henrikson. They're self-employed and acting is their job. If you've got the money and they've got the time, they'll take your job with very little regard for what it is. It's why you'll see Henrikson and Michael Caine turning up in Steven Seagal movies. It's their job, and you never know which job is going to be the last one.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I enjoy Michael Sheen, even tho he is in the most trashy movies, he is always a blast to watch.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sunswipe posted:

It's why you'll see Henrikson and Michael Caine turning up in Steven Seagal movies. It's their job, and you never know which job is going to be the last one.

Christopher Walken posted:

Careers are not often as chosen as people think they are. People talk to me about my choices. I don't make choices, hardly. Things happen, and you say yes or no--usually "yes", because it's always better to do something. What's the choice? Somebody will say, "Don't do that part, you don't need to do that part.' And I'll say, "Why not? What am I going to do? Sit around the house?" I'd much rather go to work, and see actors, and have fun.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And the classic from Michael Caine:

quote:

Somebody said, 'Have you ever seen Jaws 4?' I said, 'No. But I've seen the house it bought for my mum. It's fantastic!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Caine supposedly agreed to be in Jaws 4 after reading only one line of the script.

FADE IN: The Bahamas