Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Would civil war cannon crews have widespread hearing loss? Im assuming yes, but not sure if they would have fired far fewer rounds with less powerful charges and if that would have mattered.

Yes, pretty much anyone frequently firing any kind of gun - even black powder - without earpro is going to suffer hearing loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Would civil war cannon crews have widespread hearing loss? Im assuming yes, but not sure if they would have fired far fewer rounds with less powerful charges and if that would have mattered.

I think they would have been far more concerned about putting fire onto an enemy so that the enemy doesn't charge and kill them than hearing loss in later years.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Platystemon posted:

There were Gyrojets.

The gun is a dumb tube with a trigger and a barrel only good enough to get the projectile going in the right direction.

The projectile is a small rocket that propels and spins itself.

Gyrojets are genuinely one of my favorite weird guns because they are excellent fodder for scifi weapons.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comstar posted:

The US technically invaded and occupied Iceland to stop any other funny business from happening. Someone should ask Drachinifel his opinion on the chance of German success.

Um, no, the UK did actually. The US took over later once the funny business had already happened.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 24, 2020

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

feedmegin posted:

Um, no, the UK did actually. The US took over later once the funny business had already happened.

See, that's why I come to this thread. So what happened exactly?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Comstar posted:

See, that's why I come to this thread. So what happened exactly?

Denmark fell to the Germans really drat fast, people were afraid that Denmark (who was the colonial overlord of Iceland) would let the Germans station airplanes and uboats there, so the Brits pre-emptively landed soldiers. Basically the same thing the Germans tried in Norway, when they told the Norwegians they were going to send in the Wehrmacht to protect their neutrality from British aggression.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There’s a reason you wear heavy duty ear protection when you’re plinking 9mm at the firing range. Deafness or hearing loss is pretty much a guaranteed side effect of soldiering up to the present.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

Denmark fell to the Germans really drat fast, people were afraid that Denmark (who was the colonial overlord of Iceland) would let the Germans station airplanes and uboats there, so the Brits pre-emptively landed soldiers.

To continue, in June 1941 the UK wanted to use their soldiers for something other than garrison duty in Iceland and asked the US to take over. Iceland's Allthing didn't give the official okay to this, but the US sent in an army unit and 6th Marines anyway. By the time the war ended over 300 Icelandic women had married Marines and went to the States.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

What are people's thoughts on the Time Life WWII series? For me it's more nostalgia and I'm sure it's just the popular version of the war in the mid 70s,vut I'm still tempted to get a set.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PeterCat posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Time Life WWII series? For me it's more nostalgia and I'm sure it's just the popular version of the war in the mid 70s,vut I'm still tempted to get a set.
Is it the one with the black and white photo covers? I remember those being visually gorgeous though I don't recall the history's quality.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cyrano4747 posted:

Basically the same thing the Germans tried in Norway, when they told the Norwegians they were going to send in the Wehrmacht to protect their neutrality from British aggression.

Didn't the Germans inadvertantly beat out the British plan to do mostly the same thing?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cessna posted:

To continue, in June 1941 the UK wanted to use their soldiers for something other than garrison duty in Iceland and asked the US to take over. Iceland's Allthing didn't give the official okay to this, but the US sent in an army unit and 6th Marines anyway. By the time the war ended over 300 Icelandic women had married Marines and went to the States.

Oh yeah wasn’t that a sensitive issue with a big demographic impact? I remember reading later US troop deployments on Iceland were limited in how much they could leave their base?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

PeterCat posted:

They're pop history but the pictures are real pretty.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PeterCat posted:

My dad has the full set, but I've never had time to sit down and read all of it. Seemed very dense and informative for what they likely had access to at the time.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

PeterCat posted:

An excellent collection of wartime photography. The other bits are eh.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cessna posted:

Wait. Iceland still has an Allthing? That's amazing and cool and good.

P.S. Happy Holidays to everyone and hope you enjoy the season! I got a kit to make a wooden pump-action rubber-band shotgun and I'm stoked. In an O Henry-almost twist I got the singe-action revolver version for my sister so we look forward to drinking three beers and having dumb rubber-band gun fights in the snowy woods in a few days. We are both well into adulthood and have post-graduate degrees but are still secretly small children.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Taerkar posted:

Didn't the Germans inadvertantly beat out the British plan to do mostly the same thing?

Yeah, and a British force had already left to go start laying mines in Norwegian waters too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chamale posted:

I stood too close to a cannon when I was 12; a 16-pounder firing a quarter charge. I wanted to see it up close so I snuck under the safety rope at the last moment. Now my friends have to tap me on the shoulder before speaking to me.
My left ear will probably always hurt because of some officer in reenacting who placed my batallion wrong

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is getting into TFR territory, but the ATF basically only considers things that use cartridges to be guns. If the propellant and projectile have to be loaded separately (like a black powder muzzleloader), it's not really considered to be a firearm in the US.
Yes: everything I enjoy is not legally a "gun." And yet my college dorm was not friendly to this argument.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GUNS posted:

Yes: everything I enjoy is not legally a "gun." And yet my college dorm was not friendly to this argument.

Was anyone defenestrated in response to this offense?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

HEY GUNS posted:

HEY GUNS posted:

i have engineered my life deliberately and concertedly over a period of eight years to be as 17th century as possible.

for instance the guy who runs my hostel also runs a boarding house for apprentices.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

My left ear will probably always hurt because of some officer in reenacting who placed my batallion wrong

I thought this was a post from the GiP Idiots thread until I saw who posted it and the word "reenacting". This is seriously some enlisted.txt experience.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I thought this was a post from the GiP Idiots thread until I saw who posted it and the word "reenacting". This is seriously some enlisted.txt experience.
I'm always on the front rank far left of the pikemen. We were too close to a cannon on our left side.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait. Iceland still has an Allthing? That's amazing and cool and good.

Oldest Parliament in the world iirc

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I had a friend who went to the marines and explained to me that hearing protection was rarely used in any situation, because the thinking was that you would toughen up your ears and get used to the sound of gunshots. I think it would be a better option to be able to serve in the military without permanent damage but apparently this is the sort of thing a pussy rear end bitch thinks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Yeah that’s the sort of thinking that has people deliberately exposing their family to a novel respiratory virus.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
*roundshot takes off a mans legs, right next to him in the now open file*

'Look at this pussy rear end bitch complaining about no legs!'

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SeanBeansShako posted:

*roundshot takes off a mans legs, right next to him in the now open file*

'Look at this pussy rear end bitch complaining about no legs!'

Douglas Bader gets to say this. Nobody else does.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Douglas Bader gets to say this. Nobody else does.

That man is the guy in tub thumping IMO.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pryor on Fire posted:

I had a friend who went to the marines and explained to me that hearing protection was rarely used in any situation, because the thinking was that you would toughen up your ears and get used to the sound of gunshots. I think it would be a better option to be able to serve in the military without permanent damage but apparently this is the sort of thing a pussy rear end bitch thinks.

if you think about it, deafness is nature's hearing protection

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Pryor on Fire posted:

It’s more how hearing protection makes it hard to hear people talking and dulls other sounds besides shooting. None of my cannoneers ever wore ear pro because it’s kind of important to hear the commands from the FDC and the chief. No one wants to risk shooting out because they didn’t hear the proper command and everyone wants to get rounds out fast as possible.
However, they have in the last year started issuing radio headsets and I have noticed the guys actually wear these: they provide hearing protection and facilitate communication.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

As I understand it, Easy Company's assault on the guns at Brecourt manor is now used as a textbook assault on a fixed position. What was the 'textbook' manner for assault before Brecourt Manor? Mortars and MGs, fix and flank or something else? What I am getting at is what would someone using 'the book' have done if they didn't think like Lt. Winters?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I think it’s textbook as a case study of small unit leadership and decision making, not “if you encounter a fortified position execute the Brecourt protocol”

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

I think it’s textbook as a case study of small unit leadership and decision making, not “if you encounter a fortified position execute the Brecourt protocol”

Yeah it's just 'this is someone applying the principles of shock, fire and manoeuvre in a way that demonstrates how an aggressive attack can defeat a numerically superior foe'.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Did the whole placing of batallions on a field for set battle part not tip you off?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, and a British force had already left to go start laying mines in Norwegian waters too.

And just a month earlier Allies had their operation underway to occupy a corridor from Narvik to Sweden to Finland, in a friendly manner, to assist Finland against USSR (and, totally coincidentally, halting shipments of Swedish iron to Germany). Something that Russians seem to have known because they suddenly were willing to settle on their wins and sign a truce. I don't know if Germany knew just close it was, but given that British press was talking about it prior, they probably were expecting it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah it's just 'this is someone applying the principles of shock, fire and manoeuvre in a way that demonstrates how an aggressive attack can defeat a numerically superior foe'.

That makes a lot of sense, I guess I have heard the story that it's this textbook thing and assumed it meant it was a new way to do stuff not just an amazing execution of the old.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Elendil004 posted:

That makes a lot of sense, I guess I have heard the story that it's this textbook thing and assumed it meant it was a new way to do stuff not just an amazing execution of the old.

One of the best “death by PowerPoint” classes I ever sat through was on decision making and Boyd’s OODA loop, where the instructor used the actual scene and paused it at regular intervals to point out where and how decision making was occurring

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We all had to wear earplug cases attached to our BDU collars, with our battalion DUI shoved into it.

Note: everyone I served with has hearing damage. I'm actually alright, I have no idea how.

edit - everyone I know got a small check from a variety of lawsuits about hearing pro. I'm still doing ok over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

HEY GUNS posted:

What a handsome piece. But there's something weird on the breech... :v:

Yes, they are!

The last shots are the saluting charge and its shell insert. Field gun competition shells are cut down to facilitate faster loading and unloading. Fastest time I've seen was an average time of about 2.4 seconds between shots, sustained over eight rounds. Very little flash from the charges, but a hell of a lot of noise. The danger zone from the muzzle is about 30m; I've been inside that when one went off and it was unpleasant to say the least. I cannot fathom what being in a heavy battery during the Great War would have been like.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 26, 2020