Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

skaboomizzy posted:

Pirates GM said Joe Musgrove and Adam Frazier are on the block too. I get that it's a rebuild and all but good lord this team is gonna lose 100+ games next year and look especially awful doing it

They won’t lose 100+ games.

Mostly because they won’t even play 50+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The NL Central is going to be so loving bad this year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Cubs are going to win 110 games and Cubsposting all season will warn us they're bad and we won't listen until they get blown out of the playoffs

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Intruder posted:

The Cubs are going to win 110 games and Cubsposting all season will warn us they're bad and we won't listen until they get blown out of the playoffs

:hmmyes:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
a bad defensive player who had a good few months hitting with a juiced ball really doesn't have a lot of trade value

in other words i find a lot of these takes very odd

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Terminal owner brain

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

bewbies posted:

a bad defensive player who had a good few months hitting with a juiced ball really doesn't have a lot of trade value

in other words i find a lot of these takes very odd

*edit*

bad post

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 25, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bob Nutting should be banned from MLB for throwing games, he's doing much worse things and hurting more fans than Shoeless Joe Jackson. The Bell trade isn't even particularly bad among the many decisions where the Pirates decide to minimize payroll and not bother competing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Popete fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 25, 2020

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

euphronius posted:

Terminal owner brain

Is terminal fan brain rooting for bad players to mediocre players cause you don’t recognize that they’re bad to mediocre

Josh bell is bad to mediocre

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

uggy posted:

Is terminal fan brain rooting for bad players to mediocre players cause you don’t recognize that they’re bad to mediocre

Josh bell is bad to mediocre

And yet he's still been one of the best Pirates over the past few years, so it's understandable why their fans are pissed.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

isn't fan brain the entire point of this whole thing, i mean it's jed hoyer's job to ADD UP THE WARS and win games, but i am going to root for my beloved mashing fat man even though he is objectively bad at baseball, bring back kyle now you jerks.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

And yet he's still been one of the best Pirates over the past few years, so it's understandable why their fans are pissed.

I don’t think 75% of this thread are pirates fans

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am biased because in 2019 josh bell hit something like 14 home runs in a single series against the cubs right before the all star break and i am now terrified of him

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am biased because in 2019 josh bell hit something like 14 home runs in a single series against the cubs right before the all star break and i am now terrified of him

I've never looked at his Fangraphs page but he's had the "danger, this dude mashes" tag in my head for years now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Here's my hot Bell take: People overreacted to 2019 and they overreacted to 2020, too.

But he only has one season below 100 wRC+ (2020) and it's not like the Nats really gave up a lot for him so good for them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

According to BRef, he'll be worth an additional 1.5 WAR as a DH, assuming the rumours are true. Average MLB players don't grow on trees, and he was a fan favourite in Pittsburgh. (There's a 5 run penalty for moving from 1B to DH, but his glove costs 20 runs per season so he comes out ahead)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Josh Bell will be in his 30s before the Pirates are any good and probably non-tendered cause why extend an okish 1B/DH into his mid 30s so they absolutely should trade him now.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Chamale posted:

According to BRef, he'll be worth an additional 1.5 WAR as a DH, assuming the rumours are true. Average MLB players don't grow on trees, and he was a fan favourite in Pittsburgh. (There's a 5 run penalty for moving from 1B to DH, but his glove costs 20 runs per season so he comes out ahead)

Exactly. He'd probably be a really good DH, especially if that's the only part of his game he'd need to focus on. I'd expect something similar with Schwarber too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To be fair to the pirates they did replace cutch with Dickerson who they then promptly traded for .... international bonus money

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1342659780343697410?s=21

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This is more about the relative quality of the Texas rotation but

https://twitter.com/Kazuto_Yamazaki/status/1342661244788981761

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Adeiny Hechavarria signed with a Japanese club.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The thing about josh bell is he’ll have protracted stretches of looking absolutely terrible. He can’t hit changeups at all. He changes up his stance and poo poo at the slightest hint of a setback. I’m hoping for his sake he’ll be more relaxed in WAS and live up to the potential and really mash for a full season

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

GalacticAcid posted:

The thing about josh bell is he’ll have protracted stretches of looking absolutely terrible. He can’t hit changeups at all. He changes up his stance and poo poo at the slightest hint of a setback. I’m hoping for his sake he’ll be more relaxed in WAS and live up to the potential and really mash for a full season

the enticing thing about Josh Bell is that if he gets the right pitch he will launch it a mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyHAqsI7HL0

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Adeiny Hechavarria signed with a Japanese club.

How does the NPB feel about batflips?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of MLB players going to a foreign league. Addison Russell's season in the KBO did not go well, he hit for a .653 OPS playing for the Kiwoom Heroes and at the end of the season his contract was not renewed. Good riddance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have to imagine his time in MLB is done barring him going off and becoming Mike Trout levels of good in a foreign league. There are teams that will put up with domestic violence allegations (like the Cubs! :suicide:) but there are far less teams that will put up with character issues that translate to on-field problems. I don't think anybody wants the guy who responded to his being benched for making a billion throwing errors and refusing to hustle by complaining about his playing time on Twitter. In between taking cheap shots at his ex, of course.

Really glad the Cubs dragged what was left of the 2016 goodwill they built up through the mud by bending over backwards to give Russell a second chance he didn't deserve and gleefully squandered.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

In between taking cheap shots at his ex, of course.

isn't that what got him in trouble in the first place?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

IcePhoenix posted:

isn't that what got him in trouble in the first place?

Jesus H. Christ (the H stands for Harper)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Phil Niekro died. Amazing career, probably should've won the 1967 Cy Young on numbers alone but played for a thoroughly mediocre Atlanta team back when 20+ wins was an absolute requirement. Maybe should've won it in 1974 as well. Pitched 330+ innings 3 years running for Atlanta in his late 30s, was still pretty good in his year 45 season in 1984 for the Yankees, and around league average as late as his year 47 season in 1986 for the Indians. Lost it the next year but got traded back to Atlanta so he could make one last appearance and retire as a Brave.

Feels like there should be some sort of twist for a knuckleballer's funeral, like the pallbearers following a random, woozy pattern on their way to the grave.

elentar fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 27, 2020

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

elentar posted:

Phil Niekro died. Amazing career, probably should've won the 1967 Cy Young on numbers alone but played for a thoroughly mediocre Atlanta team back when 20+ wins was an absolute requirement. Maybe should've won it in 1974 as well. Pitched 330+ innings 3 years running for Atlanta in his late 30s, was still pretty good in his year 45 season in 1984 for the Yankees, and around league average as late as his year 47 season in 1986 for the Indians. Lost it the next year but got traded back to Atlanta so he could make one last appearance and retire as a Brave.

Feels like there should be some sort of twist for a knuckleballer's funeral, like the pallbearers following a random, woozy pattern on their way to the grave.

A 21-knuckleball salute.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I remember in 1992 that Atlanta was having an impossible time hitting Tim Wakefield.

Atlanta brought in Niekro, to see if that could help.

They couldn't hit Niekro either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

595 games started for one team is incredible

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Phil Niekro pitched to Willie Mays and Willie McCovey in his first game and Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire in his second-to-last game

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Phil Niekro pitched to Willie Mays and Willie McCovey in his first game and Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire in his second-to-last game

Phil Niekro pitched on the same team at the same time as Tom Glavine and Warren Spahn.

Spahn's MLB debut was in 1942. Glavine retired in 2008.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I remember in 1992 that Atlanta was having an impossible time hitting Tim Wakefield.

Atlanta brought in Niekro, to see if that could help.

They couldn't hit Niekro either.

Wasn’t Niekro the one who helped Wakefield figure out the knuckler tho? I swear I remember reading something about Phil coming in to teach him the knuckleball and Tim really taking to it.

I’m just happy I got to see him pitch at old Cleveland Stadium back in ‘87. I remember getting his 1987 Topps card and wondering how this man was still able to play baseball at what seemed like 82 years old.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1343410402500042752?s=21

Completely expected

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Would not make a trade with the Rays. They will probably win this trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Padres fans, are those slapdick prospects?