Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Still not Together Breakfast, 0/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The end of this made me so loving happy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

On todays lesson "Don't be a racist gently caress"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0KTFdnBk8

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hi, I was rewatching Future and I still appreciate how good of an episode Growing Pains was.

I mean I'm still not a fan of the Diamond arc of Future but otherwise the season still dealt with some really good issues about mental health and dealing with your support network changing (which is kind of topical at the moment).

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hi, I was rewatching Future and I still appreciate how good of an episode Growing Pains was.

I mean I'm still not a fan of the Diamond arc of Future but otherwise the season still dealt with some really good issues about mental health and dealing with your support network changing (which is kind of topical at the moment).

That along with Volleyball and the PTSD episode where he gets a doctor's check up with Connie's mom are definitely the highlights of Future.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LemonLimeTime posted:

That along with Volleyball and the PTSD episode where he gets a doctor's check up with Connie's mom are definitely the highlights of Future.

Growing Pains is the doctor episode.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I don't care for "Growing Pains" only because "Cat Fingers" is one of my favorite episodes and I think it's mean-spirited how "Growing Pains" argues that Steven suffers PTSD from the incident.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

pospysyl posted:

I don't care for "Growing Pains" only because "Cat Fingers" is one of my favorite episodes and I think it's mean-spirited how "Growing Pains" argues that Steven suffers PTSD from the incident.

"Catfingers wasn't traumatic" is a hell of a take

i love it too but that's because I like horror stuff and the way it made my brain pingpong between :allears: and :cry: was delicious

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Catfingers is the episode that made me fall in love with the show, it may still be my favourite ep.

It's pretty unambiguously traumatic for Steven in the course of the episode.

Just because he was able to compartmentalize it and bounce back pretty quickly, doesn't mean it didn't imprint on his psyche.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
He turned into a cat monster, mate. A horrible eldritch beast of chaos. If Steven wasn't traumatized from that, then that wouldn't make sense.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

For those of you who consume SU livebloggings like heroin, SU Workbook has just gotten to Jailbreak.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

pospysyl posted:

It was traumatic enough for me!
he was crying his eyes out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Man, there was once a day when "Cat Fingers" was a minor weird thing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
A void opens on my chest and a wet, deformed cat puppet emerges from it, yowling in agony. My head rips free from my body on dozens of adorable little paws and playfully scampers away to infect a new host.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Motherfucker posted:

A void opens on my chest and a wet, deformed cat puppet emerges from it, yowling in agony. My head rips free from my body on dozens of adorable little paws and playfully scampers away to infect a new host.

I'm not sure if we're talking about a Steven Universe or a John Carpenter movie.

oot
Jun 28, 2019

https://i.imgur.com/3KXFFui.mp4

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
They only celebrate Christmas in the SUverse because Amethyst pranked everyone two millennia ago by being Jesus.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plant MONSTER. posted:

They only celebrate Christmas in the SUverse because Amethyst pranked everyone two millennia ago by being Jesus.

I wonder if Mary knew a space alien had crawled inside of her.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Who else do you think was in that Roman bathhouse with her?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If only vomitoriums were what they sounded like, she’d be all about that

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Peace in space and Steven mild
Gem and Diamond reconciled
Hark! The Breakfast Friends tell me:
Everyone should get therapy.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Azza Bamboo posted:

Oh um.

Garnet was Mary. She shapeshifted a fake baby bump. Amethyst shrunk down to travel-size and Garnet hid her in her robes. Together they conned some magi out of some myrrh and frankincense.

And that's why every statue and painting of Mary has shades.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/EscapeComplex/status/1345027990653181953

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So who's ready for an ice-cold take?

Steven is a fusion, and having fusion problems. Not just in Steven Universe Future but a lot of the weirdness that happens to him in the main show. And while there are probably like six characters in the show who might possibly understand this and nobody who actually does, :therapy: is fortunately going to help him get through it.

We saw it in the main series, right? Steven is a fusion of Gem Steven and Meat Steven, though unlike a conventional fusion he can't really come apart of his own volition and he can't really survive apart, either. The intrusive thoughts that can ruin a fusion just kind of mess Steven up, especially if they start spiraling and then he is his monster.

One problem is that Gems have it pretty drat easy, all things considered. The essential characteristic of a small-g gem is that it's a repeating pattern, and what we've seen of big-G Gem society definitely plays this out. Gems can just do one thing forever and they're not necessarily going to get bored or tired with it. And a lot of times what Steven has been able to do to Gems is give them new patterns to follow, with a surprisingly small amount of friction. I mean, Future White Diamond has let go of Past White Diamond way the hell more than Meat Steven has let go of Past White Diamond.

But who is there who actually knows that this is the nature of Steven? The Diamonds saw, but they don't really understand fusion, and really only White Diamond actually had it all together of anybody who was looking. Garnet might be able to work it out, but the thing with Garnet is that not only is she getting pulled in a ton of directions trying to understand what all this Steven contact, and to a lesser extent human contact, is doing to the repeating patterns that let her predict the future? But the main thing she learned about fusion during the series is that it's okay for any fusion to be apart, which literally can't be applied to Steven at all.

So there Meat Steven is, with the intrusive thoughts that are turning him into a monster, having literally no reference for anybody in his life who is having that problem, and there really isn't anyone who can understand him either.

Good thing you don't need to understand someone to care for them, isn't it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just watched the whole thing in about a week in a half. It was great and i really shouldn't have put watching this off as long as i did just because the fandom was insane.

but i don't know what to watch now

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
have you seen Keep your Hands off Eizouken? or Mob Psycho 100?

Watch Kamen Rider Fourze.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Len posted:

Just watched the whole thing in about a week in a half. It was great and i really shouldn't have put watching this off as long as i did just because the fandom was insane.

You could watch its younger half-sibling series, co-director and goon Ian Jones-Quartey's "OK KO: Let's Be Heroes."

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Len posted:

If you're looking for another "Very Good Cartoon With An Insane, Offputting Fandom" you could watch My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bleck posted:

If you're looking for another "Very Good Cartoon With An Insane, Offputting Fandom" you could watch My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

i have seen some of that and it's not my jam

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
That's cool, in that case I suggest the new DuckTales.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Len please watch Fourze. Let me pitch you on it.

It's a superhero show with incredible stunt/wirework and an all-time protagonist, Gentaro.

When Gentaro transfers to his new high school, he runs into a pretty-boy who rejects a love letter from an admirer and throws the letter into the river. Gentaro jumps into the river, recovers it, and delivers it to the rear end in a top hat's desk in homeroom...

and vows to make friends with everyone at AGHS - including Kengo, the smug dick, even if he has to do it out of spite.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm sure those are all good suggestions but what you should be watching is Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is free on YouTube legally, and is great, and has massive visual and thematic influence on Steven Universe.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

YggiDee posted:

I'm sure those are all good suggestions but what you should be watching is Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is free on YouTube legally, and is great, and has massive visual and thematic influence on Steven Universe.

:hmmyes:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Len posted:

The Owl House, has a lot of ‘we have more freedom in our plot choices thanks too SU’ going on.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
How's Infinity Train? Heard a couple positive things, and the trailer I saw felt like it had a good vibe.

As for recco's we gotta mention She-Ra. Presumably you've watched that already, but if you haven't, it's extremely good. It is... made of love, you might say.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

XboxPants posted:

How's Infinity Train? Heard a couple positive things, and the trailer I saw felt like it had a good vibe.

Very good, probably cancelled so don't expect more than what's out there. But it comes in completed instalments, so there's some kind of closure, even if there's still a lot left open.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Each season reasonably concludes the story that was introduced that season while keeping enough open for another season to tell a new story. I wouldn't call them self-contained, because they build on concepts from previous seasons, but each season has its own overarching theme.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh, Korra did something similar but each season felt like a new Scooby Doo villain of the week.

I mean not to knock on the endorsement but self-contained seasons have that danger.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, Korra did something similar but each season felt like a new Scooby Doo villain of the week.

I mean not to knock on the endorsement but self-contained seasons have that danger.

Yeah but none of Infinity Train's seasons are self contained, they just maintain closure.

I don't think anyone's argued otherwise tbh.

Also Korra? Rocked. The villains were just foils used to illuminate Korra's arc and provide fun fights. Though that's still one up from Scooby Doo villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

XboxPants posted:

As for recco's we gotta mention She-Ra. Presumably you've watched that already, but if you haven't, it's extremely good. It is... made of love, you might say.

We watched all of it over Christmas weekend and it was really good. The third season went real dark and HBO hasn't renewed it for a fourth as a result