Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Season 1 is a rough watch imo. Some highlights, but it hadn't found a settled position. I could see people deciding it wasn't worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Those AI generated horrors could easily be in a modern Simpson episode where Homer is digging around in the attic and finds an old chest of his and Marges from when they were hippies.
Except, it would have to be Abe Simpson as a hippie, due to the sliding time scales now.

Anyway, Homer finds some Acid Dots and eats them,thinking it's candy.

B Plot: Bart and the Dog switch minds and go on a wacky adventure to get Frinkle to reverse it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

:raise:

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Was it here I read that

Grimes and Chalmers are the only two people to move into Springfield. It drives Grimes mad, but Chalmers can handle it.

oh, and elizabeth stinky, who ironically finds that the town has a weird smell that everyone is used to

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

what about ruth powers?

george and barbara bush?

gerald ford?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Greg12 posted:

oh, and elizabeth stinky, who ironically finds that the town has a weird smell that everyone is used to

Oh, that's just the ever-burning tire field.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a human being out there who’s seen every episode of the Simpsons?

I think watching all of them disqualifies one from BEING human.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Greg12 posted:

Was it here I read that

Grimes and Chalmers are the only two people to move into Springfield. It drives Grimes mad, but Chalmers can handle it.

There is also crandell

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

One year during the marathon they had a bunch of fake bumpers that were supposed to be a man trapped in a room with nothing but Simpsons and donuts. And he had to eat one donut for every episode. All 600+ or whatever at the time. They had maybe 5 of these bumpers prepared, and he had a mental breakdown or something at some point in the 'story' they were running.

What I'm saying is they can't even fake a person watching more than a few of the good ones.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

super sweet best pal posted:

I like when it starts morphing into a pretty good facsimile character and then keeps going into a horrible gelatinous blob.

Clearly a bug, H.G. Blob was a Futurama character. I hope someone got fired for that blunder!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jay Rust posted:

Yes, hello, here I am.

Samovar posted:

I think watching all of them disqualifies one from BEING human.

You know what? Fair, I can come to terms with that.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Greg12 posted:

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Some bougie snot working for a clickbait outfit marathoned the entire series up to whatever point was current a few years ago and came away with the elegant hot take "the series really hates smart people."

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

goatface posted:

Season 1 is a rough watch imo. Some highlights, but it hadn't found a settled position. I could see people deciding it wasn't worth the effort.

This is a "lowest simpsons thread" post so we should probably move over there but there's just no jokes. The way that the characters constantly talk over each other just completely kills anything resembling a decent joke and Homer is just such a complete sappy, weepy loser. The way the cast's beady teeth are constantly showing when he talks is a tiny character design choice that somehow makes it hard to watch them as characters.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I was thinking 'that can't be right, can it?' but I looked over the wiki synopses for those episodes and from what I remember you might well be correct. The humour they aim for in S1 really doesn't mesh with the wholesome family moments the way it did in later seasons. I'd even go so far as to say that the jokes don't really get off the ground until S4, though the storylines are much better before then.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah Season 2 is almost devoid of humor (the Danny DeVito episode is the only good one I can remember). Season 3 is where it really gets going.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's actually stunning looking on UseNet and the like and seeing how many people were whining about how wacky and "unrealistic" the series was getting, and how many people connected seriously/unironically with The Simpsons as an actual slice-of-life show. Even as a kid in the 90s I never saw it as anything other than wacky bullshit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Seasons 1 and 2 really were meant to be a standard early 90s sitcom but animated. Thank the powers they moved away from that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

To be fair, the Simpsons just did what every other sitcom in the nineties did, they got wackier as things went on.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bandaid.friend posted:

Nearly all I get are a variation of Bart, sometimes Homer

Jesus these are like the Simpsons passed through Binkley’s anxiety closet.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

dont touch groundskeeper’s willie

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is it about my meme?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Season 1 of The Simpsons should be referred to as the “smashing piggybanks with a hammer/obsessing over cupcakes that look like bran muffins” era

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sheen Sheen posted:

Season 1 of The Simpsons should be referred to as the “smashing piggybanks with a hammer/obsessing over cupcakes that look like bran muffins” era

Season 1 is all about doing the Bartman

https://vimeo.com/159063171

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

You’re right—and Season 2 is all about Bart Simpson threatening Sadaam Hussein

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Something was desperately wrong with people of 1990. Maybe it was all the lead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Greg12 posted:

Was it here I read that

I'm not sure if we see where Chalmers lives, he might not live in Springfield but commutes there when his job takes him. (Even makes sense that he has to get directions from Skinner if he's not familiar with the area)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Apparently the song was written by michael jackson

quote:

Jackson was a fan of The Simpsons, especially Bart,

Oof

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

god i'm really mainlining the nostalgia

Banana Republican
Jul 12, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

Nearly all I get are a variation of Bart, sometimes Homer

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Getting Sanic vibes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

...is this a buyable product

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There was an entire album.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I remember being so disappointed with this album as a kid cause even as a dumb kid I wanted actual songs from the show.

Fortunately someone was listening and we got Songs in the Key of Springfield, Simphonic and Testify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think that album came out before there a lot of songs on the show