Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember my old coworker getting completely loving aggro when I told him Palestinians really embraced Avatar, so I’ll always appreciate the movie at least for that.

E: Gaza page sniper :69snypa:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

ruddiger posted:

I remember my old coworker getting completely loving aggro when I told him Palestinians really embraced Avatar, so I’ll always appreciate the movie at least for that.

E: Gaza page sniper :69snypa:

This story is partially why I laugh at people who think Avatar is some long dead cultural nothing that nobody remembers or had any interest in seeing more of.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2010/feb/14/west-bank-barrier-avatar-protest

I've done deep dives into Avatars financial success globally and to this day it still made more money in certain countries/markets than Star Wars or big MCU movies. Original IPs of that scale and quality are incredibly impactful in areas of the world with people who did not grow up with the cultural indoctrination and presence of stuff like Star Wars or Marvel(although the MCU did eventually crack that barrier).

All you have to do is look at Avatars success in China at the time and compare how many theaters existed in 2009 to how many exist now to understand how big the sequels will be globally. It has also been the most anticipated movie in China for years according to some of the major ticket selling companies/apps that have "want to see" features for future films.

The average perception people have of that movie in the West is hardly representative of its popularity globally.

Honestly you could talk poo poo about the quality of that movie all day and I wouldnt debate you but to act like the sequels are some non-factor irrelevant cultural nothingburger that nobody cares about anymore is just ignorant.

Edit: it also breaks my brain that every movie talked about in this post is now a Disney property jfc

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 24, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1342198260757368843?s=20

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Stop giving him attention

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I ain't gonna click this, why is he doing this?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

piratepilates posted:

He's a desperate old sex pest clinging to any measure of Fame he can.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Release the Cherk cut.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

piratepilates posted:

People around him just seem to kill themselves a lot, it's a very personal issue to him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Aglet56 posted:

A rare instance of SMG getting caught off-guard

We need to give her an account. The debates SMG and her can have would be amazing.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gatts posted:

We need to give her an account. The debates SMG and her can have would be amazing.

I would hand over cash for that Pay-Per-View Royal Rumble over whether Neon Genesis Evangelion is Serious and DeepTM or Horny Anime BullshitTM

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still say they should just go gently caress it and turn into Metal Gear complete with giant robot fights.

Its happening already.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Me I when I hear we’re talking about Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTTSyVaM3H8

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im cool enough with Avatar but one day...one day...all this arguing will be over and goons will be able to concede 300 is a racist fascist film and not just go "no man you dont get it, ur stupid, it's not racist and fascist, it's from the pov of racists and fascists!!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im cool enough with Avatar but one day...one day...all this arguing will be over and goons will be able to concede 300 is a racist fascist film and not just go "no man you dont get it, ur stupid, it's not racist and fascist, it's from the pov of racists and fascists!!"

I’m sure someone said the same thing about Robocop once too, since it’s just another piece of copaganda, unless you like, get it, man.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jim Cameron should make a big budget Zero Wing movie.

I would go see All Your Base in IMAX 3D.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gonz posted:

Jim Cameron should make a big budget Zero Wing movie.

I would go see All Your Base in IMAX 3D.

cmon man

you know this is a Paul WS Anderson joint at best

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

From our cold dead hands punkin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

300 is incredibly racist

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

AccountSupervisor posted:

This story is partially why I laugh at people who think Avatar is some long dead cultural nothing that nobody remembers or had any interest in seeing more of.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2010/feb/14/west-bank-barrier-avatar-protest

I've done deep dives into Avatars financial success globally and to this day it still made more money in certain countries/markets than Star Wars or big MCU movies. Original IPs of that scale and quality are incredibly impactful in areas of the world with people who did not grow up with the cultural indoctrination and presence of stuff like Star Wars or Marvel(although the MCU did eventually crack that barrier).

All you have to do is look at Avatars success in China at the time and compare how many theaters existed in 2009 to how many exist now to understand how big the sequels will be globally. It has also been the most anticipated movie in China for years according to some of the major ticket selling companies/apps that have "want to see" features for future films.

The average perception people have of that movie in the West is hardly representative of its popularity globally.

Honestly you could talk poo poo about the quality of that movie all day and I wouldnt debate you but to act like the sequels are some non-factor irrelevant cultural nothingburger that nobody cares about anymore is just ignorant.

Edit: it also breaks my brain that every movie talked about in this post is now a Disney property jfc

The movie still sucked.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Carthag Tuek posted:

300 is incredibly racist

Against whom?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ruddiger posted:

I’m sure someone said the same thing about Robocop once too, since it’s just another piece of copaganda, unless you like, get it, man.

Robocop is very obvious satire

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

300 is also propaganda legend recited by a Troop inspiring an army of Spartans to prep for war.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PeterCat posted:

Against whom?

I mean, Persians are portrayed exclusively as giant gay men or literal monsters in it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/17/movies/film-robocop-police-drama-with-peter-weller.html

quote:

The plot, in case you need a respite, involves a corporate vice president (Ronny Cox) who is in cahoots with the bad guys, and another executive (Miguel Ferrer) who is a cocaine-sniffing decadent. Is that meant to be a comment on big business? Don't worry about it. Whatever may have been in the minds of the writers, Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner, has more trouble emerging from Mr. Verhoeven's sizzling battles than poor Murphy does from his robosuit. TO SERVE AND PROTECT

Starship Troopers had a similar knee-jerk reaction against its “obvious pro-fascism” but people still would rather ignore history than choose to repeat it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

I mean, Persians are portrayed exclusively as giant gay men or literal monsters in it.

Yes, and the Spartans are portrayed as baby-killing Terminators. That portrayal comes from the same not-totally-unbiased source, a Spartan soldier telling the whole story.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Frank Miller making his viewpoints so well known makes it pretty difficult to defend a "from the POV."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rick posted:

Frank Miller making his viewpoints so well known makes it pretty difficult to defend a "from the POV."

The author of Starship Troopers is a piece of poo poo, the movie is still great.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is a positive portrayal if you’re into giant gay men and monsters, just saying

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

PeterCat posted:

The movie still sucked.

Fortunately for James Cameron the opinions of SomethingAwfuls subforum Cinema Discusso are hardly anything to worry about.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hedrigall posted:

This is a positive portrayal if you’re into giant gay men and monsters, just saying

Yeah, the Spartans being macho monsters is a good thing in 300. They're the handsome monsters that men should aspire to be. Muscles and beards.

The Persian monsters are literally inhuman with saws for arms. Xerxes is handsome, but he wears makeup and has a lot of piercings

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Like it’s kind of obvious the way the Spartan tells it his people are genetically superior warriors and the riff raff are bred out at birth and the foreigner is some kind of monstrous other that’s meant to just be destroyed. It’s like white Supremecy vs Muslim/brown/invader foreigner horde.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gatts posted:

Like it’s kind of obvious the way the Spartan tells it his people are genetically superior warriors and the riff raff are bred out at birth and the foreigner is some kind of monstrous other that’s meant to just be destroyed. It’s like white Supremecy vs Muslim/brown/invader foreigner horde.

Yes, and it should be kind of obvious that the Spartan tells it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You know, I'm getting the impression that these Spartans are jerks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The best part was when Leonidas tells the hunchback guy he’s too deformed to be part of the Spartan phalanx and that the strength lies in Spartan formations, but then the Spartans are shown to continually break their own ranks to perform sick spin moves, and that they also brought non-Spartan subcontractors to soak up most of the damage.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

Yes, and it should be kind of obvious that the Spartan tells it.

Yeah. I think a lot of people are willfully missing the point of the movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Yes, and the Spartans are portrayed as baby-killing Terminators. That portrayal comes from the same not-totally-unbiased source, a Spartan soldier telling the whole story.
yeah the Spartans are super grotesque and gross. It's not racist propaganda, it's propaganda from the mouth of a racist character.

(white dudes will die before they ever give up 300)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gatts posted:

Yeah. I think a lot of people are willfully missing the point of the movie.

You could probably argue that it was satire if it was made by Verhoeven, but it's not.

The Dilios bookend is a fig leaf

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Carthag Tuek posted:

You could probably argue that it was satire if it was made by Verhoeven, but it's not.

The Dilios bookend is a fig leaf

Because Verhoven owns satire? whatever this is, it’s not argued in good faith

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gatts posted:

Because Verhoven owns satire? whatever this is, it’s not argued in good faith

No, because Miller is undoubtedly a fascist, and because Snyder has no depth in his adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

I’m feeling called out.

Also, lol that someone implied that I’m white. In your dreams, maybe. ;-*