Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought it was that he one hyperspace tracker was targeting the one lead ship so probably the rest of the fleet could've scattered instead of sticking around to run out of fuel and die horribly. Or if they couldn't do that, why couldn't they be the ones to nobly kamikaze themselves and leave the rebellion with more assets.

In the movie they're desperate for plans to get out of the situation they're in, and all the plans they do come up with are manifestly terrible, so it's tempting to come up with better ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The whole Hyperspace Tracker plot didn't work. Why wouldn't the Resistance assume they've been betrayed, and someone put a tracking device on them or is relaying their position.

It's really weird that Finn and Rose immediately come to the correct solution ( a technology that has never existed previously) that the ship can track them through hyperspace.

Thinking there is a traitor in the midst also makes Holdo and Poe's actions make more sense.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If the Rogue Squadron movie is based on her Air Force dad then I’m hyped to see what the Force version of an evangelical pastor is

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Comstar posted:

10. There are 10 Star Wars TV series coming.

Holy poo poo, you weren’t kidding. :shepface:

Media saturation is about to get a whole new definition.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It will never not blow my mind that star wars was worth less than twice that of minecraft.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember when they announced 10 upcoming movies right after they got the license, which didn't really work out like they wanted. There's no perfect strategy for churning out hits, and I have no idea if Disney even has any real grand plan for the franchise to make sure all their projects work out and can run in tandem. They sure didn't last time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone wants to recapture the Marvel movie franchise billions, but everyone forgets that all that bullshit started with standalone movies that people liked as one-offs. Nobody went into Iron Man expecting Rocket Raccoon would eventually be in his sequels.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everyone wants to recapture the Marvel movie franchise billions, but everyone forgets that all that bullshit started with standalone movies that people liked as one-offs. Nobody went into Iron Man expecting Rocket Raccoon would eventually be in his sequels.

This, in my opinion, is why the DC movies do so bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

This, in my opinion, is why the DC movies do so bad

Which DC movies lol because most of them are huge hits. I think the only ones that didn’t do that well were Joss Whedon’s justice league and Birds of Prey. Aquaman, a stand alone movie, is their most successful one yet.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

This, in my opinion, is why the DC movies do* so bad

*used to be

Their Green Lantern was such a miserable attempt at an Iron Man, like god drat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The crazy thing is the DC attempt is probably the best one yet. Disney’s Star Wars attempt is in a mess and lol at the Universal Dark Universe. And Harry Potter’s rebranding into Wizarding World. Like, a stand-alone buddy comedy about a wizard zookeeper and his wacky creatures and some world building, sure. But nope, instead, cram in fifteen different backstories and Baby Dumbledore and Hitler and tell a story no one loving wanted whose ending we already know while the creator has increasingly normal ones on twitter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean the other thing about the MCU is that it started out with modest successes until every one with RDJ started consistently cracking a billion and even now some of the non-core films don’t get near that level without much comment.

So it’s super weird to compare the success of Marvel to DC when Marvel’s early movies were making 300-400 million and you still have stuff like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange that do around 500-600 million and most DC movies have done at least as much as those latter two, except for Shazam! and BoP being the outliers there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Disney's getting those billions with Disney+ now. They've got something like 68 million subscribers, each putting in $7/month (soon to be $8). Makes sense they'd want to keep a steady stream of new content coming to keep people subscribed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Infidelicious posted:

Thinking there is a traitor in the midst also makes Holdo and Poe's actions make more sense.

Poe was right to mutiny in that movie. :colbert:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Which DC movies lol because most of them are huge hits. I think the only ones that didn’t do that well were Joss Whedon’s justice league and Birds of Prey. Aquaman, a stand alone movie, is their most successful one yet.

Justice League did great - 650M on a 300M budget is good even in Hollywood accounting, and very close in numbers to Man Of Steel. Frankly BOP did fairly well too - 200M on 100M is about what you expect for a good performance.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Infidelicious posted:

The whole Hyperspace Tracker plot didn't work. Why wouldn't the Resistance assume they've been betrayed, and someone put a tracking device on them or is relaying their position.

It's really weird that Finn and Rose immediately come to the correct solution ( a technology that has never existed previously) that the ship can track them through hyperspace.

The fun part is when Finn just casually states that if the First Order knows the hyperspace tracker has been taken offline, they'll just turn on the tracker aboard one of the other destroyers. The Resistance has been surprised by what is apparently a stock feature of First Order star destroyers.

This follows after they were entirely unaware of Starkiller Base, and needed a runaway janitor to tell them about their enemy's secret weapon after they'd already used it to accomplish their goal of destroying the New Republic. The Resistance might have been formed the week before TFA began, seeing as they apparently don't even know the capabilities of the ships of the single organization they're dedicated to fighting. It's amazing how much the Resistance sucks! They fail at everything!

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 13, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tulip posted:

Justice League did great - 650M on a 300M budget is good even in Hollywood accounting, and very close in numbers to Man Of Steel. Frankly BOP did fairly well too - 200M on 100M is about what you expect for a good performance.

You also got to add the advertisment costs on top of that, I think it just barely broke even in the end.

Otherwise all the DC movies did great financially if you disregard the ludicrous "It's got Batman AND Superman in it, therefore it should make a gazillion dollars" smoothbrained kind of thinking you see pundits throwing around.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

McCloud posted:

Otherwise all the DC movies did great financially if you disregard the ludicrous "It's got Batman AND Superman in it, therefore it should make a gazillion dollars" smoothbrained kind of thinking you see pundits throwing around.

And WB's own expectations, which are admittedly just as smoothbrained.

I'm not clear on why Snydome is leaking into the sequelthread though!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean the other thing about the MCU is that it started out with modest successes until every one with RDJ started consistently cracking a billion and even now some of the non-core films don’t get near that level without much comment.

So it’s super weird to compare the success of Marvel to DC when Marvel’s early movies were making 300-400 million and you still have stuff like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange that do around 500-600 million and most DC movies have done at least as much as those latter two, except for Shazam! and BoP being the outliers there.

Actually getting a cinematic universe off the ground requires patience, consistency and being willing to actually learn from both successes and failures, all things that are near anathema to the modern business way of thinking.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cease to Hope posted:

I'm not clear on why Snydome is leaking into the sequelthread though!

Absolute vertigo on realising what thread I was reading.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually getting a cinematic universe off the ground requires patience, consistency and being willing to actually learn from both successes and failures, all things that are near anathema to the modern business way of thinking.

Yea and WB was definitely not equipped for that, but the thing that always fascinated me is how fans bought into that thinking, which is why it’s still a meme that DC movies were all failures which people started saying as of their second and third movies (in the shared universe)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea and WB was definitely not equipped for that, but the thing that always fascinated me is how fans bought into that thinking, which is why it’s still a meme that DC movies were all failures which people started saying as of their second and third movies (in the shared universe)

To be fair to those people, Green Lantern failed so hard it might have colored (heh) perception of the next few attempts.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Emrikol posted:

The fun part is when Finn just casually states that if the First Order knows the hyperspace tracker has been taken offline, they'll just turn on the tracker aboard one of the other destroyers. The Resistance has been surprised by what is apparently a stock feature of First Order star destroyers.

This follows after they were entirely unaware of Starkiller Base, and needed a runaway janitor to tell them about their enemy's secret weapon after they'd already used it to accomplish their goal of destroying the New Republic. The Resistance might have been formed the week before TFA began, seeing as they apparently don't even know the capabilities of the ships of the single organization they're dedicated to fighting. It's amazing how much the Resistance sucks! They fail at everything!

a janitor who didn't think it was important enough to mention until well after it was too late, that there was a planet sized death star!

Honestly though is he genuinely supposed to be a janitor? When Finn says that I thought it was a one-off joke, because I thought that the background now is that stormtroopers are recruited as children?

Up Circle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 13, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
they fly now

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think one thing that kills the public's opinion on the success of a new prospective cinematic universe is their judgement of it as a cinematic universe. That prompts them to look past the movie in front of them and see all the stuff that's being built on the side and consider all the investment of time and money that they'll be expected to put in later if they like the movie. And if you're successful in leaving the audience wanting more, I think movie audiences take worse to being made to wait a year or so than TV audiences take to waiting a week to see the next installment.

There's also a whole thing of hollywood accounting being covered in obfuscation over whether there was any profit or how much profit there might've been so it's hard to say what actually is a success and the fact that the businesses that produce hollywood blockbusters often view the whole enterprise as high-stakes gambling so they won't be satisfied by just mild success.

Although I think in Disney's case, they have so much momentum behind most of their big IPs that even something that most people hate will put out a profit, so I think their main strategy at this point is to try retaining as much momentum as they can.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Up Circle posted:

a janitor who didn't think it was important enough to mention until well after it was too late, that there was a planet sized death star!

Honestly though is he genuinely supposed to be a janitor? When Finn says that I thought it was a one-off joke, because I thought that the background now is that stormtroopers are recruited as children?

The best explanation I've read on here is that duties rotate. You know, this week is the red week for Finn, so janitor duties. Next week is blue week, so that's Death Squad duties.

Nothing like that is made clear in the movies, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

THEY FLY NOW?!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

*sigh* They fly now

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gonna They Fly now

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Infidelicious posted:

Things that would've made TLJ make more sense:

Poe is a traitor. Not willingly, but because he was mindfucked by Kylo Ren. I thought they were possibly foreshadowing this in TFA when he returns in an X-Wing that has an exactly reversed pallet, as if to say that he's somehow 'changed.' I kept expecting it to happen and it never even comes up.

Leia & Rey's beacon thing should've been the actual thing they were tracking. Hux tells Snoke "We have them tied on the end of a string" and never explains what that means. They lock in on that beacon and track it. Maybe even have Poe give them the trackers, idk.

Having Benicio Del Toro's character just kind of blithely fucks off after there being a hint that he has a grudge against the First Order. Would've been more interesting to see him double-cross the FO instead of him just disappearing into the ether.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

The best explanation I've read on here is that duties rotate. You know, this week is the red week for Finn, so janitor duties. Next week is blue week, so that's Death Squad duties.

Nothing like that is made clear in the movies, though.

There are real-world militaries which work that way, and given Starkiller Base likely doesn't have much of a civilian population someone has to do the cleaning.

TLJ still is a mess of trying to subvert expectations for the sake of subverting expectations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1342194698568433665

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah that tracks Ford's been more or less done with Star Wars since Jedi.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I thought Harrison Ford was done with Star Wars after Empire?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"I don't care" is the correct answer to any question about Star Wars minutia.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

karmicknight posted:

I thought Harrison Ford was done with Star Wars after Empire?

He wasn’t even guaranteed for Empire, that’s why Splinter of the Mind’s Eye (based off an early potential sequel script) doesn’t include Han

Not sure why that quote is getting so much traction right now, pretty sure that interview was like a year ago

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, I a thousand percent remember that quote from ages ago (so like from right after Rise of Skywalker in 2019 or January) now that you mention it.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQH2rmQ5-vk

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, just when I thought Rise of Skywalker couldn't get any retroactively worse

https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1343693497522561024

JJ Abrams just kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet Babu Frik and had to have it pointed out to him by Steven Spielberg that he accidentally killed him off originally.

https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1343328735932469248

And the dude who wrote that awful Splinter of the Mind's Eye book where the climax is Vader and Leia having a debate about banking regulations or some poo poo wrote a script treatment for Episode IX that literally lobotomized Rey because he hated her so much and got laughed out the room by the folks at Lucasfilm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

nine-gear crow posted:

God, just when I thought Rise of Skywalker couldn't get any retroactively worse

https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1343693497522561024

JJ Abrams just kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet Babu Frik and had to have it pointed out to him by Steven Spielberg that he accidentally killed him off originally.

https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1343328735932469248

And the dude who wrote that awful Splinter of the Mind's Eye book where the climax is Vader and Leia having a debate about banking regulations or some poo poo wrote a script treatment for Episode IX that literally lobotomized Rey because he hated her so much and got laughed out the room by the folks at Lucasfilm.

Jenny Nicholson did a thing on that book!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanyjLmB1Bs