Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

Gunder posted:

Anyone used the Espro Bloom? I see Scott Rao recently declared it to be his favourite pourover brewer.

What's up I'm late as hell to responding here but I use one daily. Got it as a secret santa gift a few weeks ago. I'd made pour-over coffee ONCE before using this, so my technique probably sucks, but I get a very tasty and delicious cup with Rao's typical pour-over method every single time. I bungle the second pour a bit? No problem. Forget to spin? Still good. Start to finish it's like 1:30-2:00 total brew time with the washed Brazilian I have open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Help, I'm addicted to pulling shots and I can't drink this much mediocre espresso!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
You can turn em into brownies.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Or ice cream!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Amazing ideas. I have an ice cream maker because I'm also addicted to buying things I don't need, as I'm sure you can tell.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

Amazing ideas. I have an ice cream maker because I'm also addicted to buying things I don't need, as I'm sure you can tell.

Might as well make affogatos especially since you have an ice cream maker.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah with affogato it doesn't really matter how lovely your shots are unless they're like loaded with leftover purocaff or something

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I got the second edition of The World Atlas of Coffee for Christmas and it’s really good. Detailed, clear, concise, and beautiful to look at. Highly recommended as a gift for any coffee enthusiast.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey thread, I just picked up a home espresso machine a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking for a good set of scales to fit under it. The machine is a Sage/Breville duo temp pro. Anyone got some good recommendations?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Aphex- posted:

Hey thread, I just picked up a home espresso machine a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking for a good set of scales to fit under it. The machine is a Sage/Breville duo temp pro. Anyone got some good recommendations?

any smart scale will work fine, but the acaia pyxis was made more or less for this use case

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Aphex- posted:

aldantefax posted:

any smart scale will work fine, but the acaia pyxis was made more or less for this use case

they are expensive but i can second the recommendation for an acaia scale (i've got a lunar). they're built to stand up to having boiling water dumped on them, accurate, and fast

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If you don't want to drop the money on an expensive espresso scale. One of these works equally well. I personally use this scale but I also only really use my espresso machines on the weekends.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I have a really expensive Acaia Pearl scale for my pour-overs, which I love. But for my espresso machine I use a little £10 scale from Amazon. It’s probably gonna break soon, especially since I drowned it in espresso recently, but it works well enough for weighing espresso shots. It even hangs over the edge of the drip tray a little, but it still works fine.

Having said that, if you’re still down with spending a lot of money, the Acaia Pyxis, or the larger Acaia Lunar should both fit fine.

Edit: There's also the Felicita Arc, which appears to be a rip-off of the Acaia Lunar, but still works fine, and is around £100 less expensive to boot.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 26, 2020

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Oneiros posted:

they are expensive but i can second the recommendation for an acaia scale (i've got a lunar). they're built to stand up to having boiling water dumped on them, accurate, and fast

The Acaia Pearl S is a bit too large to fit comfortably on most platforms below the downspout. It does have an espresso auto-timer mode, but it wouldn't fit properly on my La Pavoni unless I used a bottomless filter and a demitasse. Using a shot glass is hit or miss. Using the stock double spout is also hit or miss. The smaller footprint plus the mat used to prop up a portafilter so it doesn't spill everywhere when you're weighing is useful, but this is all if you're looking to spend a fantabulous amount of money on an espresso scale.

My actual recommendation I think is a Hario scale since it has a timer and auto-tare on power on. Cheaper, reasonably durable, lightweight, low profile, and the screen, while not backlit, should be pretty easy to read. If they did make an LED backlit version of that scale I'd buy it in less than ten seconds.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

aldantefax posted:

If they did make an LED backlit version of that scale I'd buy it in less than ten seconds.

They do actually. At least the stainless platform one is backlit. I think it’s a change that came in with rechargeable battery.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I've slowly become a sucker for timemore products. I really like their coffee scale and probably am going to buy one when my current coffee scale dies.

https://en.timemore.com/taimochanpin/heijingdianzicheng/heijingbasicdianzicheng-m/

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Nuurd posted:

They do actually. At least the stainless platform one is backlit. I think it’s a change that came in with rechargeable battery.

instantly buying now

e: fulfillment is 30 days, never mind

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the suggestions all! I basically need something small enough to fit under the machine and accurate to .1 grams so I might look at the cheaper Amazon ones first.

Those expensive ones do look nice though! Never thought I'd get this deep into making coffee but since working from home it's really improved my mornings!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Can anyone recommend a decent drip maker for about $50? My French Press is great but my kids have decided to start waking up at 6:30am so I need something I can program and just grab when I make it to the kitchen.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent drip maker for about $50? My French Press is great but my kids have decided to start waking up at 6:30am so I need something I can program and just grab when I make it to the kitchen.

Teach your kids how to make coffee

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rated PG-34 posted:

Teach your kids how to make coffee

Can confirm, this does not work.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If your kids are old enough to drink coffee, they're old enough to acquire it on their own.

Edit: I just figured out what you meant :downs:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 27, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Unfortunately, all of the good ones are substantially more than $50. I've heard good things about the Technivorm Moccamaster series, but it's a lot more expensive.

Also, I hear that a lot of drip machines aren't great at producing good results if you're making less than a full batch, ie a full pot.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gently caress, quote is not edit

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Like, if you need a lot of coffee and one touch whatnot, 50 bucks is going to be the realm of Mr. Coffee and his cohort of run of the mill coffee makers (going strictly by the budget). They have timers, you can just load up the basket before you go to bed. You might be able to get a used Bunn or something from classified places, but that's really only if you want a commercial amount of coffee in the morning.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is this grind size just obviously terrible?

I had a decent shot earlier but now all my espresso is coming out WAY too fast and I have no idea what I did. I pulled like 6 shots and they were all garbage and I don't know what direction to adjust in. I tried slightly finer, slightly coarser and way finer and none of it helped.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KillHour posted:

I had a decent shot earlier but now all my espresso is coming out WAY too fast and I have no idea what I did. I pulled like 6 shots and they were all garbage and I don't know what direction to adjust in. I tried slightly finer, slightly coarser and way finer and none of it helped.

That grind size looks okay to me.

Any other details? Fast shots could be because of uneven distribution in the puck causing channeling, compactness of the grounds, freshness of the beans, the type of beans, etc.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

KillHour posted:

when was "earlier"? without a naked portafilter to let you watch the bottom of the basket it can be harder to diagnose but i suspect that you're getting channeling thru/around the puck. try a shot being extra careful to evenly distribute and tamp the grounds in the basket.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pulled another one with the same grind setting so you can see.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nf5eBnYTBHrUhY4r7

I thought I was getting better and now everything is just terrible :(

Bean is a full city single origin from Public that I just bought today. Worked fine when I got it home.

https://www.publicespresso.com/store/p44/mexico.html

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 28, 2020

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

KillHour posted:

Bean is a full city single origin from Public that I just bought today. Worked fine when I got it home.

it might just be the lighting but in that pic of the basket after pulling a shot it looks like there is significant separation between the puck and the basket wall. when you're distributing the grounds in the basket before tamping try giving it a few taps on the counter to help them settle in and maybe use a toothpick or something to make sure they're getting to the edge. especially since it seems like that tamper is a little undersized it may not be getting the edges properly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oneiros posted:

especially since it seems like that tamper is a little undersized it may not be getting the edges properly.

Why would Rocket include an undersized tamper for their own basket :mad:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

KillHour posted:

Why would Rocket include an undersized tamper for their own basket :mad:

they usually are a little undersized because manufacturing tolerances and such but i did notice there was a good bit of grounds left on the basket wall after tamping

[e] i'm probably just used to my precision fitted basket/tamper tho so it's probably normal. still, looks like channeling around the edge of the puck. just try making sure the grounds are getting in there good and maybe "roll" the tamper around slightly to ensure a good tamp around the edge and see if that helps any

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 28, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tapping it on the counter definitely helped. It wasn't great, but it was good enough to make a mediocre cappuccino, so I'm calling it a win after all that. Thanks!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XY15THS

I've been using this cheap rear end scale for espresso and its just fine

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

KillHour posted:

Yeah, that looks like channeling around the puck. Nothing obviously wrong with your tamping technique, but that post-tamp puck looks really messy and ragged. Doesn't look like you are getting a good, even tamp. BTW, you should always wipe those stray grounds off the top edge of the portafilter. They can prevent the portafilter from getting a good seal.

Aside from tapping to settle your grounds, have you tried grinding a bit finer and seeing if that helps? How long ago was your coffee roasted? FWIW, I have gotten noticeable improvements from my espresso just from upgrading the portafilter basket and it's one of the cheapest espresso investments you can make.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Of course, everything varies depending on the bean and espresso machine, but that grind looks much coarser than what I usually use for espresso.

The general starting point for espresso is 18g of grinds in, 36g of espresso out in 25-30 seconds. However, different roasters may have different recipes - for example, on this blend I've been using from Onyx, they suggest 20g in, 45-50g out in 25 seconds. I'd contact the roaster and ask what they recommend for your beans.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've been using 16g in, 35 out as just a starting point. It usually takes about 20-25 seconds on a good pull, but that's from the start of the vibratory pump, which takes a while to build pressure. I've been trying to go finer, but I had assumed it was channeling because pulls were ridiculously fast and sloppy. Maybe I'll try to go finer with a more thorough spread/tamp and see what happens.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KillHour posted:

I've been using 16g in, 35 out as just a starting point. It usually takes about 20-25 seconds on a good pull, but that's from the start of the vibratory pump, which takes a while to build pressure. I've been trying to go finer, but I had assumed it was channeling because pulls were ridiculously fast and sloppy. Maybe I'll try to go finer with a more thorough spread/tamp and see what happens.

You could also try upping the coffee dosage to 17g-20g and see if that helps.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I first tried with an 18g shot at a slightly finer grind and then a 20g shot at an even finer grind than that, and each one was better than the last. The 20g shot pulled 38.7g of liquid in 35-40 seconds (the shot timer disappears too quickly :( ) and it was my best yet, so thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have an Aeropress emergency! Please tell me if you have any idea.

I'm in cottage and I've tried to brew three times, and each times the filter has failed. Same beans same grinder as home. I fill the cylinder with coffee and just-not-boiling water, insert the plunger, wait. After a while I hear a slurping sound and the cylinder drains rapidly, emptying a sludge of coffee and grounds into the cup.

What's going on? Are these filters failure-prone with certain waters? I'm stumped here.