Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1342680937847533568?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

'We were the baddies all along' is an extremely common twist. It'd be remarkable if you hadn't encountered it before. The usual cliche is that the monstrous aliens are revealed to be innocent children or something - as in the Black Mirror episode Men Against Fire, where soldiers are brainwashed into perceiving ethnic minorities as zombies. But that ham-handedness shouldn't be necessary because, if you are actually honest, then fascism is always bad.

That is where you're running into trouble: in your case you're trying to put "glorification" in terms of aesthetics in order to avoid being pinned to a concrete political stance. You don't agree with Leonidas' politics, but he's just overwhelmingly handsome - right?

However, you can't avoid referring to Leonidas's protofascist leadership as "maximally effective" and "faultless". And no; Leonidas is not "faultless". He's actually specifically singled out as being the one who pointlessly antagonized Ephialtes, who was a strong and loyal dude. Do you not see the irony of Leonidas rejecting this guy because he might leave a gap in their defense, and then how that very decision created a massive hole in his plan? There were a lot of things that could have been done differently.

idk where you got "faultless" from. I said that his loss what "not his fault" in the plot — you asked me to talk about the glory of Leonidas and I took that from the film. Here, I will take a moment to note that you cut out my mention of the child soldiers in Fury, while citing child soldiers in Black Mirror.

We are talking about aesthetics because fascism is an ideology of aesthetics. That is the political stance of fascism: "I like to look at this more than that". Art or people, it is the same to a fascist.

You know all this.

This is a mess. Did someone steal your login? This isn't the SMG I remember.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1342699473919746050?s=19

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Carthag Tuek posted:

That is the political stance of fascism: "I like to look at this more than that". Art or people, it is the same to a fascist.

You know all this.

Uh, no. I don't know that. The political stance of fascism is "I like to look at this"...? What on Earth are you talking about?

As noted before, you are seemingly going out of your way to write vaguely. You do not have any particular criticisms of the screaming protofascist character, but are also providing all manner of nonspecific praise. "He's brave, even knowing he might not win"? Like, then you've already accepted the war as a given.

Also: "idk where you got 'faultless' from. I said that his loss what 'not his fault'"? That's very weaselly, when the point is your inability to find faults with the 2500 year-old pagan meme doofus who dies.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Regardless of lol from Ms Bulldozer Gal Gadot doing this I am happy there is a real movie where someone is lassoing a rocket and swinging on it looney tunes style

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Carthag Tuek posted:

idk where you got "faultless" from. I said that his loss what "not his fault" in the plot — you asked me to talk about the glory of Leonidas and I took that from the film. Here, I will take a moment to note that you cut out my mention of the child soldiers in Fury, while citing child soldiers in Black Mirror.

We are talking about aesthetics because fascism is an ideology of aesthetics. That is the political stance of fascism: "I like to look at this more than that". Art or people, it is the same to a fascist.

You know all this.

This is a mess. Did someone steal your login? This isn't the SMG I remember.

SMG pointed out that Leonidas is very much at fault for losing, you might wanna reread their post.

Other posters have pointed out how idiotic the comparison to Fury is, I'm not sure why you go back to that hill to die on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Denis, baby, blowing up an RV is not how you get Dune 2.

?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it bears pointing out that I don't think you should really boil the story down to a simple "Good vs evil" battle like the Frank Miller comic does. The film correctly points out how hosed up Spartan society is, but the Persian empire is also still an invading, imperialistic force that far outnumber the Spartans and have superior technology.

Sparta, by contrast, has a small fighting force of highly trained men and knowledge of the land. When the opposing force is capable of literally blacking out the sky by raining arrow death upon you from far away, then it really doesn't matter that much anymore that they're demonized. They're all demons, it's just that the story is told from the perspective of Dilios. Dilios, by the way, is the Spartan who first knocks the Immortal's mask off to reveal a "monster" who proceeds to nearly kill him.

Visually, there's an action sequence where some of the soldiers the Spartans fight are literal strawmen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0xSqLrG-ow

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's not what the scene is. She's trying to save the kids from being run over by the convoy and uses a missile (that her boyfriend fires) to get closer.

Its still a stupid scene because it acts like the kids wouldn't notice this convoy of trucks racing down the road shooting guns all over the place and somehow not get out of the way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Lol, Gerard Butler could not get or stay cut so they CGI'd his abs.

Snyder kept telling him to quit hitting the bars and he was like uh, nope.

lmao, that makes 300 even better

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Lol, Gerard Butler could not get or stay cut so they CGI'd his abs.

Snyder kept telling him to quit hitting the bars and he was like uh, nope.

RBA Starblade posted:

lmao, that makes 300 even better

Agreed 😻

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've never understood the passion people have for 300 one way or the other. I thought it was an incredibly boring film.

That said, if you really wanted to criticise the Spartans in a film you should make the film about the other 4,000 Peloponnesians who were there alongside the 300.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Weren't several pieces of 300's soundtrack copied from elsewhere?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I've never understood the passion people have for 300 one way or the other. I thought it was an incredibly boring film.

That said, if you really wanted to criticise the Spartans in a film you should make the film about the other 4,000 Peloponnesians who were there alongside the 300.

The problem with that is that it's not just a criticism of the spartans, but a look at how propaganda influences people.

300 ends with the reveal that the narrator was hyping up an army for battle, and they are pretty hyped up to go fight an army of evil monsters that had to cheat to win. You could say that's just a normal thing to have in a movie as a triumph, but that's just ignoring the context of the movie in favor of what people expect from a movie.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MH Knights posted:

Weren't several pieces of 300's soundtrack copied from elsewhere?

Yup.

https://youtu.be/8tAT_A71WOs

https://youtu.be/VAZsf8mTfyk

Also, Titus is a much better film than 300.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 26, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

That's not what the scene is. She's trying to save the kids from being run over by the convoy and uses a missile (that her boyfriend fires) to get closer.

Its still a stupid scene because it acts like the kids wouldn't notice this convoy of trucks racing down the road shooting guns all over the place and somehow not get out of the way.

oh yeah forrrr suuuuure dude

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

muscles like this! posted:

you get the point is it's pretty vile for the lady who talks about how great the IDF is to functionally have a scene where she saves a similar group from violence that was actually coming from the REAL bad guys, right? That combined with that absolute ghoulish 'I bet if those middle easterners got a wish they'd be the ones who made an apartheid wall' poo poo makes it very clear how this movie's writers and all view the middle east.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
mods:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

sexpig by night posted:

you get the point is it's pretty vile for the lady who talks about how great the IDF is to functionally have a scene where she saves a similar group from violence that was actually coming from the REAL bad guys, right? That combined with that absolute ghoulish 'I bet if those middle easterners got a wish they'd be the ones who made an apartheid wall' poo poo makes it very clear how this movie's writers and all view the middle east.

Everyone in the ME hates everyone else.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PeterCat posted:

Everyone in the ME hates everyone else.

everyone in most regions hates everyone else, it's pretty fuckin weird that the IDF cheerleader produced and starred movie involves a complete meaningless jaunt to the middle east just to go 'arabs bad actually, luckily Israeli Wonder Woman is here to save them' when they could do that in the America story with just like, someone wanting to gently caress their neighbor up or something or some fittingly 80's Balkans bullshit or something if they need her to travel.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Roth posted:

Visually, there's an action sequence where some of the soldiers the Spartans fight are literal strawmen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0xSqLrG-ow

Christ the CGI blood looks horrendous.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm rather fond of it. It feels stylistic in a way that's evoking the comic to me.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I authentically thought I was watching a parody up until that cool part with the Oracles.

https://youtu.be/BdT5-T2c3PY

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

sexpig by night posted:

everyone in most regions hates everyone else, it's pretty fuckin weird that the IDF cheerleader produced and starred movie involves a complete meaningless jaunt to the middle east just to go 'arabs bad actually, luckily Israeli Wonder Woman is here to save them' when they could do that in the America story with just like, someone wanting to gently caress their neighbor up or something or some fittingly 80's Balkans bullshit or something if they need her to travel.

If it was WW 1994 the Balkans would work. The ME was pretty big in the 80s for regional conflict.

I suppose you could do Central America, but a Mediterranean goddess is a better fit for the ME.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I was in Erbil a few years ago, talking to a Kurdish man about how Iran, Turkey, Iraq, and Syria don't want their to be a Kurdistan as it would mean those countries would have to give up land. He said that the lines were drawn over their land, they just wanted what was theirs.

You could say that the Israelis make the same claims, as they claim Israel was promised to them by God.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/appledoglives/status/1342896142238035970

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Laughing Zealot posted:

Christ the CGI blood looks horrendous.

The Spartacus TV series: hold my beer

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Roth posted:

I'm rather fond of it. It feels stylistic in a way that's evoking the comic to me.

It’s exactly how Miller and Varney did blood spray for some time, it’s a very deliberate stylistic choice, it’s quite literally ink splatter

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The three best weird scenes in WW84 (a mess but also people are too busy being angry at other dumb parts):

1- The other gang members freaking out when one of them is dangling a child over a balcony

2- they deport all the Irish

3- Not-Reagan wishing for so many nukes it starts World War 3

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

The three best weird scenes in WW84 (a mess but also people are too busy being angry at other dumb parts):

1- The other gang members freaking out when one of them is dangling a child over a balcony

2- they deport all the Irish

3- Not-Reagan wishing for so many nukes it starts World War 3

The second one lol so insane

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The second one lol so insane

It's the one part of the movies politics I agree with without reservation.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's the one part of the movies politics I agree with without reservation.

:yikes:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I do not actually support getting rid of the Irish, I'm sorry. But I do think we should get rid of everyone from Boston.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PeterCat posted:

I was in Erbil a few years ago, talking to a Kurdish man about how Iran, Turkey, Iraq, and Syria don't want their to be a Kurdistan as it would mean those countries would have to give up land. He said that the lines were drawn over their land, they just wanted what was theirs.

You could get the same answer if you ask anyone from Bahrain or Kuwait about the Persian Gulf. It anyone from that region about the term Middle East.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was born and lived 10 years in Saudi Arabia with family in Pakistan...and brother lemme tell yah....

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Remulak posted:

I authentically thought I was watching a parody up until that cool part with the Oracles.

This kind of hits the nail on the head of the issue with the movie. Snyder's adaptation is so faithful to the comic that it actively works against his stated purpose for the film. It's a satire where the dial is cranked too far towards sincerity for an "average" viewer. I don't think the media consensus is going to turn around for 300 in a decade or so like it did for Starship Troopers.

Of course pointing that out in cd merits a visit from the Snyder brigade who will scold you for being so thick-headed as to reject snyder's genius but that's a whole other thing

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Klowner posted:

This kind of hits the nail on the head of the issue with the movie. Snyder's adaptation is so faithful to the comic that it actively works against his stated purpose for the film. It's a satire where the dial is cranked too far towards sincerity for an "average" viewer. I don't think the media consensus is going to turn around for 300 in a decade or so like it did for Starship Troopers.

Of course pointing that out in cd merits a visit from the Snyder brigade who will scold you for being so thick-headed as to reject snyder's genius but that's a whole other thing

"The pop culture discourse in 2020 is remarkably haunted by the specter of the Cultural Idiot, an ultraimpressionable boogeyman nobody ever seems to have met but who we’re
sure exists. He’s out there somewhere, just waiting for someone to drop an ideological engine into the empty chassis of his brain. He will read this book, watch that film, and get the Wrong Idea About Things." - Kat Rosenfield, What We Sacrifice to be Seen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Vince MechMahon posted:

I do not actually support getting rid of the Irish, I'm sorry. But I do think we should get rid of everyone from Boston.

there's italians there too you know

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alan Smithee posted:

there's italians there too you know

well now I want Boston gone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I like that it's a (pseudo)historical movie that has its people think and act like they would have, instead of something like Kingdom of Heaven where the main character is recast as a modern humanist who gets a big speech about how religion is dumb and everybody in the crowd in 1187 Jerusalem agrees.

Even Gladiator, which is much better and one of my favorite movies, still does that by having the whole republic vs empire sentiment/subplot/resolution.