Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Big Mom’s ability to take loss after loss and just get back up and keep trying is probably how
she came to be one of the strongest people in the world! She’s a lot like Luffy in that sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

euphemism posted:

wtf is caribou up to. whats the point of him knowing about shirahoshi now.

He's was supposed to be on the Onigashima invasion team with the other former prisoners like Hyogorou but hasn't shown up so far?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Maybe Caribou finally got good at sneaking?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I forgot entirely that Caribou is at wano, even though he was part of the reason the escape happened at all.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Luffy has forgiven him so he's basically the next crew member.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just want luffy to punch bad guys

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

rannum posted:

I forgot entirely that Caribou is at wano, even though he was part of the reason the escape happened at all.

caribou has been part of three of like five arcs and had his own cover story. he's like a 400 chapter thread in the plot that has yet to resolve lol

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

euphemism posted:

caribou has been part of three of like five arcs and had his own cover story. he's like a 400 chapter thread in the plot that has yet to resolve lol

See people say this but I keep having to google his name whenever it comes up and I see his image and I'm like "Wait who's this Caesar Clown knockoff?"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Caribou has nothing to do with anything. His cover arc was cool, but after he has a change of heart he's immediately caught by Drake and hauled off to the prison where Luffy finds him. That's it, that's his story, he could just not turn up again and it really wouldn't matter.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Caribou's definitely coming back. No way Robin's going to accidently tell the bad guys about Poseidon. Pretty sure she hasn't even told the other Strawhats.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Caribou has nothing to do with anything. His cover arc was cool, but after he has a change of heart he's immediately caught by Drake and hauled off to the prison where Luffy finds him. That's it, that's his story, he could just not turn up again and it really wouldn't matter.

Oda is way too good a writer to just put a character in for no reason at all

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

he knows shirahoshi is poseidon and like the only non-strawhat to know that

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This wait for Chapter 1000 is killin me

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Cat Machine posted:

This wait for Chapter 1000 is killin me

good news its out early

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I was expecting a Rick Roll and in retrospect I really don’t know why.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
It looks like there's a good chance we'll get a fan translation of the new chapter by Sunday or so.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

holy poo poo I can't believe they already revealed YA YO YAAAA YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I can’t believe it. Yo ho ho, he took a bite of gum gum?!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

unbelievably poor scan quality

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

unbelievably poor scan quality

It's ok bc you dont need good scan quality to see One Piece is on break

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
greg thinks gin is gonna come back...

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
from that interview it sounds like characters that are never coming back are pretty much free to use in non-canon materials, so gin and enel not coming back might end up mattering -- but it could be an exception. and that oda absolutely makes poo poo up and backfills importance into those situation all the time. nothing else from the interview seemed super illuminating!!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That would be :bignews:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

euphemism posted:

greg thinks gin is gonna come back...

This has a certain logic to it, I guess. Oda doesn't particularly care about Foxy, so Foxy appears a lot in filler. The counterpoint is that Oda almost certainly has definite plans for Kuzan, Sabo, and Lucci, but they're always appearing in movies and specials.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/c...web2x&context=3 heres the whole thing, oda sounds cool

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Silver2195 posted:

This has a certain logic to it, I guess. Oda doesn't particularly care about Foxy, so Foxy appears a lot in filler. The counterpoint is that Oda almost certainly has definite plans for Kuzan, Sabo, and Lucci, but they're always appearing in movies and specials.

For those last three I'm guessing they appear often in side material purely based on their popularity as characters. They're usually given fairly milquetoast roles that don't really have much impact in any meaningful way, so it won't contradict any future reveals about them.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The big difference between One Piece and other media is that every story arc could introduce upwards of 20+ new characters per arc, some might be super popular and others might fade out but One Piece keeps expanding outwards regardless so where's the room in all these popular side characters?

I remember Water 7 and most people expected Paulie to be in the crew at the time over Franky. Franky himself was one of the few crewmates that Oda pivoted on, the original artwork of the Straw Hats featured a Klabautermann/Dwarves style shipwright but Oda was so impressed by Kazuki as Bon Clay in the Anime, he wanted to give him a larger role and designed a whole character for him.

It's Oda's biggest strength. Luffy doesn't feel like the center of the universe, because there's other people in the world who are as famous as he as both locally and internationally that are allowed to still be heroes in their own island. One of the things I always notice in fiction is that the main character/where they live is the center of the universe for that story. Even in big budget stuff like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, New York City is basically a main character and the entire time you're always wondering "Well, why doesn't x hero show up and handle this thing that's definitely beneath them" but Oda's so good at world building with an established reason why the world is fairly disconnected that every new island becomes a true adventure. He's great at showing that people have lives that don't have to be connected to Luffy at all

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
happy birthday jesus burgess

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Where’s my Christmas miracle?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Merry Christmas all but also CHAPTER NOW

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I’ve been reading old chapters and man this is easily my favourite piece of fiction to ever exist. Glad we all have it and merry Christmas

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Don't give me hope

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh it feels like a given that, in the series where the rulers of the planet literally wear astronaut suits and are called Celestial Dragons, that Eneru is gonna come back from space at some point, but I’ve been wrong before.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I mean given there are robot creatures on the moon, not hard to think that maybe the last ancient weapon is up there.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Chapter 1000 expected to drop either tomorrow or Monday.

We're almost there!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1342773404529778689?s=19

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dang

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Do I have to send in proof of purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Chapter 1000 expected to drop either tomorrow or Monday.

We're almost there!

FRENCH scans are out! https://imgur.com/a/pOoLE6m

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 26, 2020