Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

This is the worst written movie I have seen since Star Wars Rise of the Skywalker.

I also assume the 4k wasnt working because it looked "off" all the time

I rewatched the Ang Lee Hulk just before this and its still didn't sent my expectations low enough.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
20,000 Leagues under the Sea is on Disney+. The 1950s one. It's really good. Watch it if you haven't.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

20,000 Leagues under the Sea is on Disney+. The 1950s one. It's really good. Watch it if you haven't.

I have my own copy but definitely seconding. You've got James Mason as Nemo, Kirk Douglas as The Wild Card and loving Peter Lorre playing himself.

Gorgeous movie.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I have my own copy but definitely seconding. You've got James Mason as Nemo, Kirk Douglas as The Wild Card and loving Peter Lorre playing himself.

Gorgeous movie.

Agreed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pick posted:

4k support?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

WW84 was okay....I guess? But not something I would watch again. There was a moment where I was about to turn it off because I was getting bored ( during the scene where they are just flying through the fireworks. I know it was supposed to be ~romantic~ but it was SO BORING and it was taking too long. I wanted to watch strong woman punch bad guys). Gotta said Pedro Pascal was the best thing in it.

Anyways, watch Pixar's Soul instead. That one is a million miles better and the music is amazing.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm watching Bridgerton and I'm still not sure if I'm on board or not yet but the ending sequence of the first episode was very pretty

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WW84 is very mediocre and unfocused. Felt a tad like they didn't know what story they wanted to tell so they just mish-mashed a bunch of ideas together. The last third especially is just kinda "oh I guess it's time for a climax".

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MiddleOne posted:

WW84 is very mediocre and unfocused. Felt a tad like they didn't know what story they wanted to tell so they just mish-mashed a bunch of ideas together. The last third especially is just kinda "oh I guess it's time for a climax".

It's so absurdly boring.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I found the first wonder woman movie pretty unwatchable so I can't say I have any particular desire to watch another one.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mystes posted:

I found the first wonder woman movie pretty unwatchable so I can't say I have any particular desire to watch another one.

With the exception of a couple scenes, the first one was a very average action superhero film. The sequel doesn't even have the benefit of good action scenes.

Edit: Lord, Chris Pine has hosed up his face with too much botox. He doesn't even look like the same person anymore.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 26, 2020

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Soul was fantastic.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

mcmagic posted:

It seemed pretty telegraphed tbh. Might have been better if they hid it better. The thing that annoyed me the most about it, i think, was that the space stuff was fine but it felt like it was from a completely different movie and seemed totally unnecessary.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Contemplative George Clooney movie, it felt a lot like 28 Days Later or The Fountain, but Wacky Space Movie was just kind of alright, and I'm not entirely sure they should have been mashed together like that

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Greatest Showman is on Disney+. I've never seen it and I don't particularly like musicals, but everyone says it's great?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

The Greatest Showman is on Disney+. I've never seen it and I don't particularly like musicals, but everyone says it's great?

I wouldn't say everyone, it's kinda polarizing. It found a loyal audience who are absolutely devoted to it but there are plenty of people who were completely flummoxed by it doing well.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I liked WW84 better than any Avengers movie I have seen, but that is more a comment about how overrated I think that crap is.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Josh Lyman posted:

The singing and dancing parts are great, just absolute top notch movie musical stuff, and the plot is generically feelgood. This explains the popularity among certain groups of people. The story bits are god awful. There are two different points where the plot is moved forward by Jackman pointing to someone at a party and saying "who's that," then that person moves the plot along. There's also very little reason for it to be based on Barnum as opposed to "generic circusman," and is probably the worse for it. He lived a weird life, full of contradictions and failures, and the movie just flattens that into a very generic plot.

Paragraph break to highlight the movie's worst sin, though - it completely ignores how he got his start, which is so breathtakingly evil it was probably the first thing they left on the cutting room floor after they decided Barnum would be a hero; he leased (as opposed to purchased, which would have been illegal, even at the time) a friend's slave woman, then proclaimed that she was the 161-year old nurse of George Washington. His very first side show. Joice Heth died while effectively owned by him, and he proceeded to sell tickets to her autopsy, to be held at a saloon.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 26, 2020

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

With the exception of a couple scenes, the first one was a very average action superhero film. The sequel doesn't even have the benefit of good action scenes.

Edit: Lord, Chris Pine has hosed up his face with too much botox. He doesn't even look like the same person anymore.

The first one actually goes in a fairly interesting direction in the first two acts, before completely blundering it in the third. It tries to go for the point that even a superhero can't just solve every problem by fighting, no matter how strong they are, which works pretty well when contrasted with the hopeless yet seemingly inevitable carnage of the first world war. After all, you can't just go and punch the abstract concept of war in the face.

And then, of course, they had her punch the abstract concept of war in the face. :psyduck:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Boxman posted:

The singing and dancing parts are great, just absolute top notch movie musical stuff, and the plot is generically feelgood. This explains the popularity among certain groups of people. The story bits are god awful. There are two different points where the plot is moved forward by Jackman pointing to someone at a party and saying "who's that," then that person moves the plot along. There's also very little reason for it to be based on Barnum as opposed to "generic circusman," and is probably the worse for it. He lived a weird life, full of contradictions and failures, and the movie just flattens that into a very generic plot.

Paragraph break to highlight the movie's worst sin, though - it completely ignores how he got his start, which is so breathtakingly evil it was probably the first thing they left on the cutting room floor after they decided Barnum would be a hero; he leased (as opposed to purchased, which would have been illegal, even at the time) a friend's slave woman, then proclaimed that she was the 161-year old nurse of George Washington. His very first side show. Joice Heth died while effectively owned by him, and he proceeded to sell tickets to her autopsy, to be held at a saloon.

yea it's one of those things where Jackman is charming and fun and the songs are well done so you will have a good time watching it if you like musicals, but if you have any knowledge of who Barnum was as a real rear end human who horribly exploited the exact same people the movie pretends were his friends he was doing a favor for the shine may come off pretty hard.

Like, yea I have no idea why it had to be Barnum when the story truly has nothing to do with Barnum in the slightest and is just 'Hugh Jackman has a fun time singing in a top hat'

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

The people that like it like the music. I don't care for the music too much, and the plot, well, I felt embarrassed for the actors when I watched it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Perestroika posted:

And then, of course, they had her punch the abstract concept of war in the face. :psyduck:

Jacked up abstract concept of war that kept its silly mustache.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Desperado Bones posted:

Jacked up abstract concept of war that kept its silly mustache.

The reveal that he had the mustach before he disguised himself as a 1917 British aristocrat was all I could think about during that last action scene.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished The Wilds and that might have been the stupidest show I have ever watched in my life. How the gently caress is this sitting at 92% on RT lol?

it just got worse and worse as it went on,and then that ending..."Yo lets resolve nothing and throw 5 cliffhangers out there and hope one of them sticks enough that people want to come back and watch whatever diarrhea we spray out for season 2"

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 27, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it's too bad I found i may destroy you so bland n tedious, i didn't even get to the main conceit of the show apparently

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Finished The Wilds and that might have been the stupidest show I have ever watched in my life. How the gently caress is this sitting at 92% on RT lol?

it just got worse and worse as it went on,and then that ending..."Yo lets resolve nothing and throw 5 cliffhangers out there and hope one of them sticks enough that people want to come back and watch whatever diarrhea we spray out for season 2"
I've seen 2 episodes and wasn't super into it. Sounds like I should stop there?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just hate cliffhangers so drat much. I think they're disrespectful and show contempt for your audience.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Netflix 2020 special is pretty great

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Flying Zamboni posted:

The reveal that he had the mustach before he disguised himself as a 1917 British aristocrat was all I could think about during that last action scene.

Jesus. I know. I was trying so hard not to laugh during the whole last fight.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Flight Attendant: we watched one episode and were not loving it, waited a week and watched another and it was okay. But the upcoming plot line about the brother visiting seems dire. Worth continuing? Normally would give up but it’s been well reviewed.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

smackfu posted:

Flight Attendant: we watched one episode and were not loving it, waited a week and watched another and it was okay. But the upcoming plot line about the brother visiting seems dire. Worth continuing? Normally would give up but it’s been well reviewed.

I’ve only seen negative reactions in this thread. Somebody said it gets progressively worse throughout the entire series.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

smackfu posted:

I enjoyed the show. It's sort of a take on The Man Who Knew Too Little, except instead of being an idiot, she's just a drunk. But if you found nothing to like in the first couple of episodes, then I doubt it'll improve for you. It's pretty tonally consistent.

One thing I do like about the show is that she is clearly channeling Chief Stew Kate Chastain from Below Deck.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nihonniboku posted:

I enjoyed the show. It's sort of a take on The Man Who Knew Too Little, except instead of being an idiot, she's just a drunk. But if you found nothing to like in the first couple of episodes, then I doubt it'll improve for you. It's pretty tonally consistent.

One thing I do like about the show is that she is clearly channeling Chief Stew Kate Chastain from Below Deck.

Yeah, I found the middle episodes dull or whatever, last couple were ok. Whoever wrote her character is definitely a recovering alcoholic. Not sure what the hell to think of the whole spy thing they had going on. Did they just assume it would get another season?

Just got done making my through all the seasons of Yellowstone. Dear god, it was so looney I swear Kurt Sutter was involved.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Desperado Bones posted:

Jesus. I know. I was trying so hard not to laugh during the whole last fight.

i myself was laughing at the prospect of david thewlis being shredded as hell at any point in his life

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just hate cliffhangers so drat much. I think they're disrespectful and show contempt for your audience.

I think there are two ways to do cliffhangers. One is to wrap up the story arc of a season in a satisfying way and then introduce whatever big thing the next season is going to be about via some exciting event. Which I think is fine. I.e. something like the end of season 4 of the Expanse, where the whole plot thread on the new planet is concluded, but then it's time to move on to something else. So they tease that earth will be hit by a terrorist attack in the next season . I think that sort of counts as cliffhanger, but it's fine, because they finished the story I was invested in for that season.

On the other hand you have something like The Wilds, which is just lazy and lovely. They don't wrap up the story with the girls on the island, they not only don't wrap up the truly god awful meta plot, but they make it even more convoluted. Then they have the audacity to do a big reveal about the next season when they earned absolutely nothing with this season. It's so bad lol.

The funny thing is I actually think it could have worked if they cut out all of the dumb Lost bs and just made it the OITNB ripoff that it is at it's core. It wouldn't make it any less melodramatic or self serious, and it wouldn't have made the writing any good, but at least it would have worked conceptually, just doing a show about girls stuck on an island and developing their characters via flashbacks. OITNB is still way better than the Wilds even after it got bad though, because it knew not to always take itself deathly seriously so the dramatic moments were often shocking instead of just predictable.

Also, the girl who could best be described as the "main" character, if there even is one, as well as the research lady might be two of my least favorite characters in any show ever. I could barely stand either one of them even being on screen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Midnight Sky didn’t work for me. For something based on a book it felt very weirdly padded. There are a lot of scenes of the spaceship crew just chatting unaware that home’s gone and all their loved ones are dead. Yeah we get the irony. And the film seems to forestall the revelation artificially, first the asteroid storm, then the long spacewalk scene which takes a long time to get to the inevitable tragedy (and of course the black woman buys it), and eventually they just see it out the window which takes some of the urgency out of Clooney’s rush to get to warn them.

Like these elements might’ve worked but they’re arranged so oddly. The flashbacks to Clooney’s past are kinda flat- if that is what the movie’s really all about it honestly should’ve spent more time in the past and less in space. I dunno.

I legit feel that modern non-blockbuster sci-fi is in sort of a dour, depressive rut. Like yeah that reflects the world we live in but where are the satires, the tight and punchy thrillers, the really wild conceptual flicks?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

God Hole posted:

i myself was laughing at the prospect of david thewlis being shredded as hell at any point in his life

He was so amazing in Naked

"I just live one day at a time"
"I tend to skip a day now and again, if you get my meaning"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah Midnight Sky didn’t work for me. For something based on a book it felt very weirdly padded. There are a lot of scenes of the spaceship crew just chatting unaware that home’s gone and all their loved ones are dead. Yeah we get the irony. And the film seems to forestall the revelation artificially, first the asteroid storm, then the long spacewalk scene which takes a long time to get to the inevitable tragedy (and of course the black woman buys it), and eventually they just see it out the window which takes some of the urgency out of Clooney’s rush to get to warn them.

Like these elements might’ve worked but they’re arranged so oddly. The flashbacks to Clooney’s past are kinda flat- if that is what the movie’s really all about it honestly should’ve spent more time in the past and less in space. I dunno.

I legit feel that modern non-blockbuster sci-fi is in sort of a dour, depressive rut. Like yeah that reflects the world we live in but where are the satires, the tight and punchy thrillers, the really wild conceptual flicks?

To be honest, it just didn't work as a movie for me either. It just felt like they had two scripts laying around that were half finished, and then they put them together, and it was still half a movie with no satisfying conclusion.

I never read the book, so maybe it just worked better as a book, but either half would have worked better as a movie if they were separated and had a happy ending.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
My gf and I finished The Flight Attendant last night

Both my parents are 12-step people (AA, al-anon, NA) although my mom went sober before I was born, and my dad quit after he got a DUI driving a limo (lol) when I was 5 but I have no memory of him drinking or being drunk

Echoing that there was def alcoholic(s) in recovery involved in production, and tbh I found that part of it extremely tedious (prob tainted by my own experiences though), but otherwise I enjoyed it well enough

They obv left it open for a second season with the CIA recruiter / "my boss", Felix / Burton(?) alive, and Miranda / treasonous supervisor in the wind poo poo, and I'll probably tune in for a second season if we get one to see who the new mind palace tenant is and where they go with it. I expect that now that she's completed The First Step, the 12-step poo poo will only get more tedious. Can't imagine what her Higher Power will be -- the rabbit lol? Although I could see her character's "searching and fearless moral inventory" being pretty loving funny tbh

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Dead Don’t Die is the worst movie I have watched in years. It has nothing to do with zombie fatigue, it is just awful. Shame cause I am a fan of almost everyone associated with the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

To be honest, it just didn't work as a movie for me either. It just felt like they had two scripts laying around that were half finished, and then they put them together, and it was still half a movie with no satisfying conclusion.

Nailed it.

If the whole movie had been Grumpy Clooney doing science stuff while taking care of an orphan, I would have loved it. The space stuff was so tonally bizarre.