Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The Kingfish posted:

If I had a magic turnstyle I’d go back in time to help Nolan make a better movie.

I would go back in time so I could invert my TV so that it played the movie forwards in time while my future self is watching the movie and is disappointed, but because it’s inverted the disappointment is actually enjoyment, but then the inversion radiation gives me ball cancer and I die in the past so I can live in the future with Robert Pattinson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

If I had a magic turnstyle I’d go back in time to help Nolan make a better movie.

Couldn't. Whatever's happened happened.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

In a comedy of errors you actually were there by Nolan’s side all along and every change you suggested made the movie what it is today.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Darko posted:

Name a "cool" non main character in a Nolan film. Thats the part you're missing; his movies are suoer main character centric, and they're often flawed, pained people with tragedy in their past. They always overshadow the support.

And heroic? Most of his protagonists suck and are tremendously self destructive people.

Your statement about Interstellar is incorrect, too - Murph is suoer important to the film and occupies a large part of it.

Also, on top of it it’s sort of one of his gifts. He creates cool looking characters than when you break it down are always driven sad losers. You’re watching compelling characters who are not role models. It’s why the dark Knight films are better than marvel poo poo. He’s a tragic character that only wins by giving up the garbage mythos of the hero. While the job is argued to be necessary (Robin taking over) it’s deemed a burden rather than some cool thing to aspire too.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Inverted eyes shoot lasers of inverted photons

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I watched this today and thought it was fine. It wasn’t the greatest thing I’ve ever seen but it’s refreshing to watch something that’s at least attempting to do something new and different and is extremely well made.

I also feel like it’s something I may enjoy more on a second viewing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Go back and watch Inception it's better.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I felt this movie had a lot less warmth than Inception or even Interstellar. There’s no big rousing moment where we connect with the character emotionally.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Go back and watch Inception it's better.

Inception absolutely rules; aging like fine wine. Same with Dark Knight.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Inception is really the high point so far. The Prestige and TDK also are great. Dunkirk, Memento, Interstellar and the other two Batmans are still good. TENET is easily his worst. He's definitely not a bad director, but each of these movies is a big step down from what he can do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TENET is not easily the worst considering Dark Knight Rises exists.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dark Knight Rises is fine, if a bit high on it's own fart. There's a plot you can follow and dialogue is largely discernible. TENET does not features these key factors.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

TENET is not easily the worst considering Dark Knight Rises exists.

Dark Knight Rises is the best Batman movie; engagement depends on how critical you are to the characters on top of loving them at the same time. DKR says that all these characters suck, but we can still love their stories.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Batman Begins is really the best one. The Dark Knight kind of sucks as a film if you look at the parts without Heath ledger. The Dark Knight Rises is straight hot garbage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m doing a temporal pincer on this thread.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Dark Knight Rises is actually a coherent movie so it is leagues ahead of Tenet.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Darko posted:

Dark Knight Rises is the best Batman movie; engagement depends on how critical you are to the characters on top of loving them at the same time. DKR says that all these characters suck, but we can still love their stories.

This is the correct. It’s his best in the trilogy. (It’s not his best film, that honor goes to the prestige).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Amarcarts posted:

The Dark Knight kind of sucks as a film if you look at the parts without Heath ledger.

it's fortunate that it has the parts with Heath Ledger then

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Inception had an exposition heavy first half that sets up a more interesting premise than Nolan makes use of. Pretty much all the interesting imagery is from a scene that seemed to be constructed entirely for the trailer. The second half is a straightforward boring raid on a military base. If you're going to break all the rules that you spent an hour setting up (bringing the architect!) why not do something interesting with it.
Batman Begins was the best of Nolan's batman movies. Dark Knight doesn't make any sense, really. Also Dark Knight is when Nolan is at his worst in when he ends a scene, the world outside of the movie stops existing. Like when Joker threw Rachel out the window and Batman jumps out after her. Scene ends, onto the next one. But, what happens next? Joker is up there still. Does he kill everybody? Why doesn't Batman just wait in the lobby for the elevator? It's because they stop existing when the scene ends. Scenes have no flow to each other at all. You could really jumble up the whole movie and there wouldn't really be any difference in the story.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

I also feel like it’s something I may enjoy more on a second viewing

After watching this movie and thinking about it for a bit, I came to the conclusion that it would probably make more sense and possibly be more enjoyable with a second viewing. The problem is the movie left me without any desire to watch it again.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m doing a temporal pincer on this thread.

?ereh ekoj siht ekam ot eno tsrif eht I ma

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

it's fortunate that it has the parts with Heath Ledger then

You could watch all the good scenes on Youtube without feeling like you've missed out on the experience.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Generally I find arguments that say "the film was only good because it had X in it" pointless, because even if 100% true, the film DID have X in it, so it's good. Saying a movie would be bad if you removed the good bits doesn't really say much.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's fun to think about, but yeah, "imagine if x was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT" is not an argument against x.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only part of TENET I don't think is coherent is the drop at he end which we discussed earlier.

One thing I missed on my first viewing was the shockwave Blue Team is landing on is the bomb's explosion burying the algorithm. On my initial viewing I just assumed it was a generic explosion.

stratdax posted:

Inception had an exposition heavy first half that sets up a more interesting premise than Nolan makes use of. Pretty much all the interesting imagery is from a scene that seemed to be constructed entirely for the trailer. The second half is a straightforward boring raid on a military base. If you're going to break all the rules that you spent an hour setting up (bringing the architect!) why not do something interesting with it.
Batman Begins was the best of Nolan's batman movies. Dark Knight doesn't make any sense, really. Also Dark Knight is when Nolan is at his worst in when he ends a scene, the world outside of the movie stops existing. Like when Joker threw Rachel out the window and Batman jumps out after her. Scene ends, onto the next one. But, what happens next? Joker is up there still. Does he kill everybody? Why doesn't Batman just wait in the lobby for the elevator? It's because they stop existing when the scene ends. Scenes have no flow to each other at all. You could really jumble up the whole movie and there wouldn't really be any difference in the story.

lol

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 28, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

After watching this movie and thinking about it for a bit, I came to the conclusion that it would probably make more sense and possibly be more enjoyable with a second viewing. The problem is the movie left me without any desire to watch it again.

I did in fact watch it again, and I do have to admit that I enjoyed it a lot more the second time. I missed a lot of stuff in the second half of the movie that clicked for me this time, and I didn't get to the end feeling lost like I did the first time around.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hodgepodge posted:

?ereh ekoj siht ekam ot eno tsrif eht I ma

Yes, though several posters have copied you and made the same joke on earlier pages.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kazzah posted:

Yes, though several posters have copied you and made the same joke on earlier pages.
The later you make the joke the earlier it happens, though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Inception is on Windows Movie House again and I feel its surreal mind-bending concept is stronger and better executed than Tenant's.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

code:

R E T T A M
E K E N N A
T E N A N T
T N A N E T
A N N E K E
M A T T E R

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

OldSenileGuy posted:

The second time I watched it I was no longer confused, but it also became more obvious that some parts actually just don't work and the overall plot is just a poorly-communicated Bond riff that doesn't really do much. Everything was clearer, but not really to the movie's benefit.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

My sister and her husband weren't impressed after watching it recently and also were confused at some points, so they decided to watch a youtube explainer video that told them that Neil is Max, Kat's son, all grown up.

No, that is not correct.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/factsonfiim/status/1343957198196633603?s=21

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

There isn't a force on earth that can make Pattinson take the movies he's in seriously.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I just finished my dissertation on TENET and the crucial plot is really when the bond girl says "you can't jibe a boat like this" and bond the protagonist immediately says "you can if you have to" and immediately jibes the boat, showing clearly that the spinning top is still spinning.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Snowman_McK posted:

There isn't a force on earth that can make Pattinson take the movies he's in seriously.

His stories of dealing with Twilight stalkers are some of the most hilarious poo poo ever.

quote:

How did “Twilight” heartthrob Robert Pattinson finally rid himself of a persistent stalker? According to the actor himself, all he had to do was bore her.

“I had a stalker while filming a movie in Spain last year,” Pattinson told Crème Magazine, as reported by England’s Press Association. “She stood outside of my apartment every day for weeks — all day every day. I was so bored and lonely that I went out and had dinner with her.”

Unfortunately for the obsessed fan, Pattinson did not have the fairytale first date in store that the woman might have been hoping for.

“I just complained about everything in my life and she never came back,” the 22-year-old said. “People get bored of me in, like, two minutes.”

:allears:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

My sister and her husband weren't impressed after watching it recently and also were confused at some points, so they decided to watch a youtube explainer video that told them that Neil is Max, Kat's son, all grown up.

No, that is not correct.

YouTube movie explainers are always hilariously stupid. I wish I remember what it got wrong but after I got home from seeing Us one of the big ones that does "Endings Explained" got really basic poo poo wrong in order to say something as dumb as that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I had to look up a video explaining Neil’s death and I still don’t get it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I had to look up a video explaining Neil’s death and I still don’t get it.

At the end when Washington and Aaron Taylor-Johnson get to the locked door where the dude is about to end the world by dropping the thing into the hole, there's a dead guy laying there. Then, at exactly the right moment, the corpse rises up, unlocks the door and takes a bullet to the head that was meant for Washington.

It's later revealed that this is Neil, because he has the little orange doohickey on his backpack. So at the end Neil knows that he now has to invert and go back in time to take that bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat this movie was stupid