Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Um actually that’s straight out of the book, and Tolkien spends 4 full pages describing it in excruciating, Tolkien-esque detail (including 2 songs). :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Delzuma posted:

Does anyone know if they fixed the obvious reversed shots on Lord of the Rings? The approach to Rohan with the flags and smoke crawling backwards has always stuck out.

I think that's a you thing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I think the key optimizer for the LotR movies is to smoke a bunch of weed before hand. then everything is being reversed shot.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rambo 2 was a great movie. I guess the remaining three are mediocre? Either way the set was a good purchase.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Empress Brosephine posted:

Rambo 2 was a great movie. I guess the remaining three are mediocre? Either way the set was a good purchase.

your inebriation and or sleep deprivation levels will make the remaining movies better. only that latest movie to come out last year is complete poo poo. there's barely any rambo-ing going on until the last 25 minutes, the rest of the time its just monologing over vistas and "drug ridden mexico" and the painful and torturous crawl through stallones politics.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

The correct order is:

1. First Blood
2. Rambo III
3. Rambo
4. Rambo: First Blood Part II
386. Rambo: Last Blood (barf)

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I think that's a you thing.

Dude 18:30 into Return of the King. Once you see it, it's in your head forever.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steen71 posted:

The correct order is:

1. First Blood
2. Rambo III
3. Rambo
4. Rambo: First Blood Part II
386. Rambo: Last Blood (barf)

Well poo poo I'm excited for the next two movies then.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Yeah, I gotta say I haven't been super impressed with the Olive Films discs I've received. I love the Boop cartoons but it's a bit of a letdown to not get a complete set of them. The first thing I bought from Olive was The Undesirable, the early silent film by Michael Curtiz and all of the intertitles have the names changed from Hungarian ones to very American ones like Nick & Betty. I don't know whose decision that was to make but I have a feeling that anyone watching a simple silent melodrama can handle some Hungarian names in a very Hungarian movie. Just a baffling decision.

No decision was made, the film survived as an American print, so they kept it as-is rather than translating it. Similar thing with Waxworks where the domestic version has completely vanished.

They're sort of like Twilight Time in that if they get a quality master, the disc will be great. If not, meh. Their Blu-rays of Roger Corman's The Trip and John Boorman's Hope and Glory are from stunning full restorations. The Signature line is excellent, usually from new 4K restorations or transfers. Johnny Guitar, Letter from an Unknown Woman, High Noon, and The Quiet Man especially.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Egbert Souse posted:

No decision was made, the film survived as an American print, so they kept it as-is rather than translating it. Similar thing with Waxworks where the domestic version has completely vanished.

They're sort of like Twilight Time in that if they get a quality master, the disc will be great. If not, meh. Their Blu-rays of Roger Corman's The Trip and John Boorman's Hope and Glory are from stunning full restorations. The Signature line is excellent, usually from new 4K restorations or transfers. Johnny Guitar, Letter from an Unknown Woman, High Noon, and The Quiet Man especially.

Huh! I must've misremembered something I read about The Undesirable. That's my bad, thank you for correcting me there. I will have to look into their Signature line one of these days. Maybe I'll get a better impression of the company. Probably a good excuse to finally watch Johnny Guitar.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I finally got to watch my Gremlins 4K copy and jeepers, what a loving upgrade. I saw the Blu-Ray for the first time like... 6 months before the UHD was announced. What a difference. So much clearer, a natural look of grain but cleaned up. The colors popped.

Also, I will never Stan for CGI when examples of practical effects like Gremlins and its sequel exists. Or The Thing, I’ve mentioned it before but I got low grade queasy from the effects when I saw it for the first time... last year?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Well poo poo I'm excited for the next two movies then.

If you reach out to BestBuy.com chat, you can price match to save a couple bucks more.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I might do that although I have no complaints I enjoy the set

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

For sure. I'm just a sucker for their price matching policy because it's so easy to utilize (and keep the points from the original purchase). Sure it might be a difference of 2 bucks, but it's like 5 min of using online chat. You provide name, phone #, e-mail, the order # (assuming online), and the SKU, and then link 'em back to the Best Buy website.

I just like deals, and getting a better deal after getting a deal is always fun.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No I appreciate it thank you

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm usually a completionist with series so you'd think I'd have bought Last Blood begrudgingly just to have the full series but nope. I was close one time, picked it off the shelf because it was like $10 and then I just thought to myself "you're literally never going to watch this" and put it back.

The Rambo UHDs are great though. Cliffhanger is also a nice upgrade for Stallone fans, hopefully one day we'll get 4k Demolition Man.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I might have to get the Cliffhanger UHD, my current copy is the DVD.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Anyone think that Cliffhanger was too mean-spirited?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

In what way?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

In what way?

Some of the deaths are particularly graphic and a lot of innocents get killed, but that's how action movies were made 25-30 years ago. I can see how it might get that sort of criticism if it came out today though.

As someone who grew up during those years I definitely get the itch for that sort of 80s/early 90s hyper violence once in a while.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Basebf555 posted:

Some of the deaths are particularly graphic and a lot of innocents get killed, but that's how action movies were made 25-30 years ago. I can see how it might get that sort of criticism if it came out today though.

As someone who grew up during those years I definitely get the itch for that sort of 80s/early 90s hyper violence once in a while.

It's too bad Paul Verhoeven doesn't make action movies anymore.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Cliffhanger was the first R rated movie I ever saw and I still consider it peak action. The plane heist scene is one of the best action sequences ever put on film, and I believe the most expensive stunt ever recorded at the time. Don’t hesitate on the UHD, the helicopter shots look stunning and the atmos works really well.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Xenomrph posted:

In what way?

It's already been stated, but a whole bunch of innocents get killed in the movie. The movie succeeds in creating the kind of dread and fear you'd have if you were running from John Lithgow and company, but they aren't particularly likable or interesting. And all the death and carnage seems to exist so that Stallone can reconcile his friendship with is buddy. It's not a fun movie.

The only good thing about it is it lead to the beginning of Ace Ventura 2, which, watching it now, I'm pretty sure they actually used the same shots of the harness coming loose as Cliffhanger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rt8qB5yOPI

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

tonedef131 posted:

Cliffhanger was the first R rated movie I ever saw and I still consider it peak action. The plane heist scene is one of the best action sequences ever put on film, and I believe the most expensive stunt ever recorded at the time. Don’t hesitate on the UHD, the helicopter shots look stunning and the atmos works really well.

https://youtu.be/DG4xvwugrGY

This guy talks about it a little around the 2:45 mark. They paid the stunt guy a million for it. Even though he didn't quite pull it off, he still managed to get out of danger and parachute safely down.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

CPL593H posted:

It's too bad Paul Verhoeven doesn't make action movies anymore.

It’s probably for the better. I expect a similar thing would have happened to him in the 2000s that happened to Carpenter in the 90s. Best to just let them stay in the decade they belong.

PeterCat posted:

It's already been stated, but a whole bunch of innocents get killed in the movie. The movie succeeds in creating the kind of dread and fear you'd have if you were running from John Lithgow and company, but they aren't particularly likable

Excellent description of what’s lacking in modern action movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You guys don’t consider Elle an action movie?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
What is the deal with the 4K Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Lenticular Steelbook being so rare when the original movie equivalent still has copies retailing for pretty cheap?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bacon Terrorist posted:

What is the deal with the 4K Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Lenticular Steelbook being so rare when the original movie equivalent still has copies retailing for pretty cheap?

It was one of the few MCU 4k releases that included the 4K disc and the 3d disc. Unless there were multiple 4k Guardians 2 steelbook releases in America. I think it was also a Best Buy exclusive.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there like, super rare legendary blu rays that are worth hundreds or even over $1000? I never really thought about it, the format seems so new.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Basebf555 posted:

Are there like, super rare legendary blu rays that are worth hundreds or even over $1000? I never really thought about it, the format seems so new.

I've seen some of the older 3d MCU Steelbook blu rays go for way too much ($60-$100+) but nothing over $200. If there are rare blurays worth a lot, I'd kind of expect them to be steelbooks or something that got a tiny print run years ago.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My battles without honor and humanity box set is worth supposedly $400.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Spacebump posted:

It was one of the few MCU 4k releases that included the 4K disc and the 3d disc. Unless there were multiple 4k Guardians 2 steelbook releases in America. I think it was also a Best Buy exclusive.

Yep! It’s this. I paid $50+ on eBay to have the Kong: Skull Island Steelbook because it also had both versions.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I thought my Guardians 1 BB steelbook would be worth a lot but it's not. The steelbook market is oddly crazy sometimes, especially Mondo steelbooks. I've got mad Mondo and Bottleneck posters though. I have a Rocky IV print that recently sold for like $900 or something.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A brand new The Third Man Criterion blu fetches ~$300-400.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

A lot of people are real loving losers.

Spatulater bro! posted:

A brand new The Third Man Criterion blu fetches ~$300-400.

I always get mad when someone mentions how much that thing goes for. I had one and I sold it for about 125 bucks. I'm not mad because I don't have the movie. I don't care about that. I was going to put it toward this really cool guitar and after the owner said he'd sell it to me he turned around and sold it to someone else even though I contacted him immediately after I got the message. My offer was very generous but now those guitars sell for more than double.

:negative:

I can't comprehend why someone would pay 300 bucks for a blu-ray though. That's loving bananas. My guess is a large bank account and serious ennui.

edit: Oh, AND instead of just telling me he sold it the fucker ignored my calls and he had someone else tell me he sold it because he's a loving jerkoff.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 1, 2021

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Dawn of the Dead still goes for $50 even though there's a new pressing out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Dawn of the Dead still goes for $50 even though there's a new pressing out.

The Anchor Bay one?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Basebf555 posted:

The 30 for 30 5th Year Anniversary set that I own sells for ~$1000 now. Granted, there are 20 discs in the set.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Earlier this year I found out my Total Recall blu ray would no longer read, trying in multiple drives. I remember reading online that older Lionsgate blu ray discs are prone to early failure. Well, tonight I found out that my House of 1000 Corpses disc no longer works as well. Kind of makes me wonder what else is sitting on my shelf that no longer works at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
As hard as I wish my Third Man DVD won't turn into a blu ray