Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Bhodi posted:

FYI unless you are specifically crafting a million things and throwing them on the ground to exploit a dupe bug you won't run into this during normal play, this is mostly FUD

There are plenty of other bugs you WILL run into, though. Most are just funny though, not game ruining.

first part for sure, second part, not necessarily. I haven't been abusing any dupe bug (or any bug really, above and beyond just 'these mechanics were designed by a moron who has never heard of balancing'), but I have crafted thousands of health inhalers and then disassembled them to launder crafting components up to higher level versions to make money, and my save file is nearing Danger Size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Resonance of Fate

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmkay, so I'm good to go if I go wild with whites, but save up colored hexes for when I have a specific use for 'em?

If I remember right from my two attempts at the game, to get significant use out of terminals, you will need to farm a rather large amount of colored hexes. The good terminals need a large number of hexes to be powered, and you want multiple terminals for additive effects. So you are going to have to color in large swaths of the map.

That is why they say keep your white hexes. If you are going to use/abuse terminals, you are likely going to cover most of large areas with color, revealing them anyway. Then you have the white shapes for when you get deeper in the game, and the pathways get narrow and need specific shapes. Saves you from having to farm up the oddball white shapes when you just want to progress the story.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Orvin posted:

Resonance of Fate

If I remember right from my two attempts at the game, to get significant use out of terminals, you will need to farm a rather large amount of colored hexes. The good terminals need a large number of hexes to be powered, and you want multiple terminals for additive effects. So you are going to have to color in large swaths of the map.

That is why they say keep your white hexes. If you are going to use/abuse terminals, you are likely going to cover most of large areas with color, revealing them anyway. Then you have the white shapes for when you get deeper in the game, and the pathways get narrow and need specific shapes. Saves you from having to farm up the oddball white shapes when you just want to progress the story.

Ooh I see what you guys meant- okay, that explains a lot. Thank you! :)

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I haven’t played the game in ages so this may be off, but something I remember being really useful in resonance of fate that’s not in the wiki is that time doesn’t advance unless your character is taking an action. So if there’s a character that’s going to have a hard time doing anything useful, they can skip their turn to cede their time to another character who can make better use of it.

yook fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 22, 2020

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I just bought a ton of “indie” games on sale on PS4, so I need tips for the following:

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

Blaster Master Zero

Blaster Master Zero 2

Celeste

Sundered: Eldritch Edition

Wizard of Legend

Chasm

Celeste and Sundered already have a few tips on the wiki, but anything additional is appreciated

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
You might want to play Dragon's Trap before Cursed Kingdom or it could be hard to go back (they really polished up the formula over the course of 30 years).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Celeste is very much a learn as you go game. There's nothing missable and no penalty for dying beyond a number going up. That number's going to be pretty big on your first playthrough no matter what, so don't sweat it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Anything for Way of the Samurai 3? I see entries for 1 and 4 on the wiki, any tips that carry over from either of them?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cross-Section posted:

Anything for Way of the Samurai 3? I see entries for 1 and 4 on the wiki, any tips that carry over from either of them?

Oh man, picking the back of my brain on this one. Ben with sources maybe

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm a Warhammer and 40K nerd and am considering trying out some of the games. The Total War: Warhammer games in particular.

I don't think I've ever played a strategy or tactics game before.... What does this mean?
"Turn-based strategy, real-time tactics"

Also, do the games have much story or dialogue? I'm not talking like great writing, just an actual plot to keep me motivated.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

The total war games, including warhammer are split between the turn based map overview where you move armies and research, and the real time skirmishes between forces.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It’s a big turn-based map with armies and provinces on it, but whenever there’s a fight you have a real-time battle. The base- and army-building happens on the Risk map; when you have a battle, you just use whatever forces you brought.

Writing? It’s not that sort of game. Each campaign has some loose scripting, but it’s basically like playing Civ. A war-centric Civ, with decent combat, on a premade map.

Edit: to answer your question a bit better: there’s quite a lot of incidental dialogue and unit barks, which doesn’t sound like much but it’s very characterful. There are voiced faction intros and prebattle speeches, and character-specific interactions during diplomacy. The overall plot of each campaign varies in depth; some are very basic (take over X% of the map and kill Karl), while some are well thought out and flavourful. The devs have become steadily more confident and ambitious in the five years they’ve been working on this game. That said, they’re not games people play for the writing. People play them because the battles are fun as hell, and the campaign layer gives the battles a sense of stakes and makes you care if your units live or die.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 23, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm thinking of picking up Horizon Zero Dawn but trying to work out if I'll enjoy the gameplay or not. How much is it actually "tactical" in terms of you have to think ahead and set traps and use clever tricks to defeat enemies, compared to action-adventure hit them with swords/shoot them with arrows? I tend to like hack & slash much more than sneaky traps in a vidyagame and it sounds from the descriptions like it might be more on the sneaky side, but also I know it's a pretty big AAA game so is that just marketing?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Horizon Zero Dawn but trying to work out if I'll enjoy the gameplay or not. How much is it actually "tactical" in terms of you have to think ahead and set traps and use clever tricks to defeat enemies, compared to action-adventure hit them with swords/shoot them with arrows? I tend to like hack & slash much more than sneaky traps in a vidyagame and it sounds from the descriptions like it might be more on the sneaky side, but also I know it's a pretty big AAA game so is that just marketing?

From memory, theres not that much in the way of traps (there are some, tripwires and such, you can set up ahead of time if you know a fight is going to break out. In my playthrough they were something I'd mainly use if I was intending to aggro a massive robot dinosaur that couldnt currently see me) but a lot of it boils down to "shoot the weak point in the armour, rip the armour off, then shoot with the appropriate elemental weakness for massive damage". I'm sure you could go more into being sneaky/laying traps if you want, but if you just want to shoot robots with anti-armour arrows then a fire slingshot you can absolutely do that too.

There are also some stealth sections, but they are very much AAA action game stealth sections, if you know what I mean? Hiding in waist high grass, while robots make their patrols (the route of which are marked on the screen for you thanks to your detective vision), laying tripwires or using your stealth kill move as they patrol past the bush you are hiding in, or just moving past them when they are looking the other way. Its not exactly splinter cell.

Now, as I look at this, it seems very dismissive, but I had a good time with it. More than the sum of its parts.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Organza Quiz posted:

Pretty flexible in playstyles on the normal difficulty. If you stock up on potions and stuff you can definitely just go gung ho with big arrows and dodge rolling around and swinging your stick. A few curated stealth sections, but they are pretty decently made.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Organza Quiz posted:

You really do have to plan ahead to bring down the machines, especially on higher difficulties where they'll take almost no damage from a glancing blow. That doesn't necessarily mean stealthing around everywhere but it does mean scanning the machines for weakpoints and elemental vulnerabilities, igniting their canisters, and carrying a well-balanced loadout. Melee is rather weak by design and useful only as a last ditch effort to whittle an enemy's health down or stun them and reposition. You're a 120lb. hunter, they're 2.5 ton cat robots, you can't exactly hack & slash your way through them.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

1redflag posted:

Blaster Master Zero

-Each area has a map that shows where all the caves are and the layout of each area.

-Caves with an item or boss will be marked on the map. If you see a cave is marked explore it.

-Sup weapon energy/hover regenerates so don't hesitate to use it.

-The game has a true ending that requires you to get all the collectables. After beating the area 8 boss you will go to a new area, complete it for the true end.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll probably pick it up then and just play on normal difficulty and shoot stuff a bunch.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

1redflag posted:

Wizard of Legend
Alright, a few pointers about this action rogue-li_e!
Combat:
* First thing - don't get hit. HP is your liming resource.
** Bosses have a attacks->respite cycle ; dodge during the first part, get your licks in the second.
* elemental paper-rock-scissors is : Fire (beats)> Air > Earth > Lightning > Water > Fire. You also deal less damage against same-element. (I think that same-element penalty is bigger than weak-element penalty?). You'll see the damage number be in a different colour if it happens.
*you can't run off a ledge. You can jump off, and some spells can as well - but not regular walking.
Unlocking stuff:
*Defeating bosses can unlock you signature arcane, so you don't need to buy it.
*You need to buy things to open new "item pools" you can buy. (I think that you need to buy half the things inna pool to unlock the next one?)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll probably pick it up then and just play on normal difficulty and shoot stuff a bunch.

I don't know if easy mode is your thing, but I played it on that difficulty and it removes all need for traps and tactical thinking; you take very little damage from anything so you can brute force your way through even the toughest beasts with just basic arrows and melee attacks. So another tool in the belt if you want it!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Some stuff for Bugsnax;

Generally when you get a quest asking to feed a Gromp a specific Bugsnax that can be broken down into smaller parts (eg; Big Bopsicle), any of the smaller parts are "valid" for that even if it's one like the Picantis or Snoopy Banoopy that break down into multiple regular Bugsnax rather than partial/mini versions of the original.

For the ones that do break down, the Tripshot is your key to catching them intact outside of lucky interactions with other local Bugsnax. Rig the Tripshot so it gains the necessary element to counter them (eg; the Big Bopsicle or Paletoss Grande are frozen so stick your Tripshot in a fire or magma), and when they set it off they'll lose their protection as well as being stunned.

You can connect the Tripshot to your Buggy Ball.

The controls are really intuitive when you have to mix-and-match your tools. If you put your trap on the Lunchpad the controls will immediately switch to the Lunchpad, and back again to the Trap after it's launched.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Another thing for Bugsnax

If you have to create a trail of sauce to lead a bug into a certain area then firing the slingshot as fast as you can while walking backwards will space out the puddles in a pretty good pattern to lead them from spot to spot.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I didn’t see a page on the Wiki, any advice for Moon: Remix RPG Adventure?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I didn’t see a page on the Wiki, any advice for Moon: Remix RPG Adventure?

Go download the manual, the game is old enough to assume the player has it on-hand to teach the important interface elements.

If the indicator on your clock is white, you're fine if the time passes it as you've got at least one extra day's worth of Love to burn. If it's red, it means you're done if the clock reaches that time.

Mainline through the story and don't go poking around town until you have to rescue the first animal (it'll occur in the area between Gramby's cottage and town). That's your main go-to for earning Love and Yenom so you can increase how long you can stay awake for. There's several easy-to-catch animals in the area south of the rainbow that'll give you a few Levels on their own and getting those done will really help out early on.

Once you get your own place, Gramby's cottage is unusable for a bit. If you can't figure out how to help her get some bones from Curio and spend time teaching Tao all his tricks.

The two beds behave slightly differently; Saving in your own bed will advance time a set duration, sleeping at Gramby's will set the clock to dawn of the following day.

Just to save you grinding money; It's possible to get the Golden Badge without spending a single Yenom if you can find someone willing to trade for a different one.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Starsector? The thread is mostly dead, and every time I try to start I get overwhelmed with ship options a general lack of goals. Are there some up to date guides out there? The most recent one I've found is two (?) patches behind.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Other note that's halfway between "before I play" and "need to know eventually" for Cyberpunk 2077: Save files corrupt if loaded when they are over 8mb. Crafting and looting inexorably increases the save file size, so there is a finite amount of those you can do before your save file is unusable.

Have fun!

This is supposedly fixed now

Already corrupted saves are gone forever though :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Starsector? The thread is mostly dead, and every time I try to start I get overwhelmed with ship options a general lack of goals. Are there some up to date guides out there? The most recent one I've found is two (?) patches behind.

Most of us that post in that thread are just waiting for the next big update. If you post there you'll get more help, but to start things off:

1) Some of the best early ships are the following:
a) Lasher - Solid frigate, put two kinetic weapons in the fixed forward gun slots (Dual Autocannons/Railguns/Light Needlers if you can), a HE gun in the front turret, 2 PD guns in the side turrets, and a pair of harpoon racks on the missile slots. Give it reinforced bulkheads, max vents, and use any remaining CP on capacitors.
b) Hammerhead - In many ways its a bigger Laser in how it plays. Either go kinetic on the fixed slots and HE on the front turrets or the reverse of that (HE has better medium mount options)
c) Shepherd - A fantastic early support ship that's capable of helping against weaker enemies, especially in numbers. PD on the turret, harpoons, sabots, or (my preference) Salamanders in the missile slot.

2) Remember you travel at the speed of your slowest ship, which is usually the support/cargo ships. Don't slow yourself down until you feel like your fleet is strong enough to deal with what you can no longer outrun

3) The last skill of the blue skill line (Navigation) is one of the best skills in the game (among what are mostly excellent skills) and should be an early priority. +1 burn (+2 sustained) is something no vanilla AI fleet gets so you're going to be faster than any similar fleet. The ability to jump out of a system (at a cost) or jump into one at planets is also very useful.

4) Most D-mods (The damage modifications you usually see on salvaged ships) can be tolerable depending on the vessel, but some are deal breakers (mostly the ones that penalize burn speed, fuel usage, or maintenance costs). Also generally fixing up a D-mod ship to pristine isn't worth it but, but some ships are rare enough (or almost unique) that it can be worth it.

5) The game in it's current state is more or less a sandbox with no end goal outside of what you set yourself towards. Mods can change this of course (and don't be afraid to mod, most of them are fairly solid and the thread can give good advice on which ones to go for, including some that are mostly just QoL mods)

6) When exploring look for planets with orbital structures (little satellites or such if you zoom in), that means the planet will have ruins on it and thus be a better survey target.

7) If you are surveying/derelict hunting (A very popular early game choice) the fourth skill in industry skill line (yellow) will greatly increase your gains from that. Also more Shepherds.

8) Selling BPs to the black market will get you the best return but then the pirates will field those ships/weapons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077 for the first time and I have a specific question (I know there's a game thread but I don't want to post there because I want to avoid spoilers and I have a gut feeling that it's a Bad Thread and I don't really want anything to do with it right now so this seems like the next best thread for it).

I'm about 70 hours in and I just reached a main story mission that the game is warning me is a "point of no return". Specifically I'm about to talk to Hanako at Embers.

If I do this mission, am I going to be fully locked out of all or some side missions and gigs, or is it just warning me that I'm not going to come back to the open world for a few hours? I've worked through most of my side jobs, but I've still got quite a few gigs left on the map, and quite frankly I'd rather just push on with the main story than get bogged down in those right now. Am I safe to do the mission and come back to the open world gigs later, or should I really wrap up any open world business I want to do before I do this mission? The popup's a little vague imo

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
It will lock you in one of the endgame missions (depending on choice) for a while, but when you finish the game, you'll get the option to return to the entrance of embers to just continue playing or do the other endings.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Taerkar posted:

Most of us that post in that thread are just waiting for the next big update. If you post there you'll get more help, but to start things off:

1) Some of the best early ships are the following:
a) Lasher - Solid frigate, put two kinetic weapons in the fixed forward gun slots (Dual Autocannons/Railguns/Light Needlers if you can), a HE gun in the front turret, 2 PD guns in the side turrets, and a pair of harpoon racks on the missile slots. Give it reinforced bulkheads, max vents, and use any remaining CP on capacitors.
b) Hammerhead - In many ways its a bigger Laser in how it plays. Either go kinetic on the fixed slots and HE on the front turrets or the reverse of that (HE has better medium mount options)
c) Shepherd - A fantastic early support ship that's capable of helping against weaker enemies, especially in numbers. PD on the turret, harpoons, sabots, or (my preference) Salamanders in the missile slot.

2) Remember you travel at the speed of your slowest ship, which is usually the support/cargo ships. Don't slow yourself down until you feel like your fleet is strong enough to deal with what you can no longer outrun

3) The last skill of the blue skill line (Navigation) is one of the best skills in the game (among what are mostly excellent skills) and should be an early priority. +1 burn (+2 sustained) is something no vanilla AI fleet gets so you're going to be faster than any similar fleet. The ability to jump out of a system (at a cost) or jump into one at planets is also very useful.

4) Most D-mods (The damage modifications you usually see on salvaged ships) can be tolerable depending on the vessel, but some are deal breakers (mostly the ones that penalize burn speed, fuel usage, or maintenance costs). Also generally fixing up a D-mod ship to pristine isn't worth it but, but some ships are rare enough (or almost unique) that it can be worth it.

5) The game in it's current state is more or less a sandbox with no end goal outside of what you set yourself towards. Mods can change this of course (and don't be afraid to mod, most of them are fairly solid and the thread can give good advice on which ones to go for, including some that are mostly just QoL mods)

6) When exploring look for planets with orbital structures (little satellites or such if you zoom in), that means the planet will have ruins on it and thus be a better survey target.

7) If you are surveying/derelict hunting (A very popular early game choice) the fourth skill in industry skill line (yellow) will greatly increase your gains from that. Also more Shepherds.

8) Selling BPs to the black market will get you the best return but then the pirates will field those ships/weapons.

Thanks, I'll give it another go.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077 for the first time and I have a specific question (I know there's a game thread but I don't want to post there because I want to avoid spoilers and I have a gut feeling that it's a Bad Thread and I don't really want anything to do with it right now so this seems like the next best thread for it).

I'm about 70 hours in and I just reached a main story mission that the game is warning me is a "point of no return". Specifically I'm about to talk to Hanako at Embers.

If I do this mission, am I going to be fully locked out of all or some side missions and gigs, or is it just warning me that I'm not going to come back to the open world for a few hours? I've worked through most of my side jobs, but I've still got quite a few gigs left on the map, and quite frankly I'd rather just push on with the main story than get bogged down in those right now. Am I safe to do the mission and come back to the open world gigs later, or should I really wrap up any open world business I want to do before I do this mission? The popup's a little vague imo

The point of no return mission will permanently change the world state and give you an epilogue, but it will also create a save as you enter the building so that you can return later to play through alternate endings + mop up side missions.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
In desperate need of tips, any tips, for the game Sands of Salzaar, boy this game doesn't hold your hand, just lets you go and lets you wander around.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im playing through Cross:Code and should I be doing all of these side quests? What about these trade offers? A lot of it feels overwhelming when just starting out without getting into the flow of the game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anyone have anything for Immortals: Fenyx Rising?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

blackguy32 posted:

Im playing through Cross:Code and should I be doing all of these side quests? What about these trade offers? A lot of it feels overwhelming when just starting out without getting into the flow of the game.
The trade offers you can ignore if you want to, in reality they're more like the game's crafting system - you collect a bunch of raw materials in the wild and then turn it into better stuff at the trader's. Largely, everything you find in one zone will be superseded by the stuff that you find in the next, it's standard RPG behaviour in that sense.

The side quests can be fun little things and sometimes give you stuff you can't find anywhere else, but you still don't have to do them. I like to scatter them in just because I find them entertaining, but the game works fine even if you don't. I hear some can even end up giving you things like new NPC followers to contact, though, so you might want to do those at least.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
Cyberpunk 2077

If you like me want to become all powerful and just roam the world, but not necessarily “cheat”, there is a small bug you can use to quickly get tons of money, thereby completely removing money from the equation. Basically you will eventually get a side mission where the reward is a painting that sells for 4000. However, you can then immediately buy it back for just 5. So by just repeating these motions you can get a million in maybe half an hour.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anyone have anything for Immortals: Fenyx Rising?

There are tons of side things to do that the main quest won't guide you to, and it is pretty much expected you'll be doing some of them to get the coins/ambrosia/lightning etc for upgrades as you progress. You don't need to grind, but if you try to run through the main quest and do nothing else at all, I imagine you might struggle. Finding vaults and completing them, working out how to get to ambrosia, solving the puzzle or winning fights to get chests etc - that's half the game tbh so use the farsight ability to find things to do. There are unmarked quests in the world - if you explore and find somewhere that looks interesting, there might be a quest relating to it so explore everywhere tbh even if it's not somewhere that your farsight power tags.

It's probably worth sticking to the main quest until you get the wings that let you glide though, at which point explore and also at some point return to the starting area since there's more to do there once you've got some abilities. You'll still find some places you can't get to - there are some locked off behind specific quests - and others you might need certain upgrades to get to or at least to make it easier to get to them. The upgrades that let you climb/glide faster are very very useful and the swimming one is handy in places.

Upgrading your stamina really, really helps.

There are much tougher enemies, including unique ones, in various places - sometimes even in otherwise easy areas guarding chests etc. Unless it's part of a quest (and sometimes even then) you can always run away from enemies - so if you get into a fight you realise that you're going to lose then run away (summoning your mount and riding away or jumping off a cliff and gliding will almost always get you away - monsters only chase you so far if you can get a fair distance away and/or break LOS)

Upgrades to weapons affect all weapons of that type - it's not totally clear this is the case from the menu, but upgrading a sword upgrades _all_ swords.

Any time you go back to the Hall of Gods, just upgrade everything, make more potions etc. Potion ingredients along with pomegranates (health) and blue mushrooms (stamina) respawn in the world over time so don't be afraid to use them any time you need to and just collect more whenever you run low.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 27, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cardiovorax posted:

The trade offers you can ignore if you want to, in reality they're more like the game's crafting system - you collect a bunch of raw materials in the wild and then turn it into better stuff at the trader's. Largely, everything you find in one zone will be superseded by the stuff that you find in the next, it's standard RPG behaviour in that sense.

The side quests can be fun little things and sometimes give you stuff you can't find anywhere else, but you still don't have to do them. I like to scatter them in just because I find them entertaining, but the game works fine even if you don't. I hear some can even end up giving you things like new NPC followers to contact, though, so you might want to do those at least.

On the other hand, doing all the side quests is a good way to make sure that you're adequately leveled for whatever's coming up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh yeah, it definitely doesn't hurt. Just never consider it obligatory if you don't feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Having recently beaten it, I've made a page for The Painscreek Killings.

quote:

* Only locked things with the "Unlock" prompt can ever be opened with a key, though even of those some will never open. It's worth keeping track of locks and other obstacles with notes or the in-game camera.

* In general extensive use of the camera and keeping track of at least the basic information of the various characters and what happened when will help a great deal in keeping everything straight and figuring out certain solutions.

* There is little outright pixel-hunting involved as important objects tend to be placed in visible spots, but it's still worth being thorough and carefully going through every closet and drawer when exploring as the town is quite large and trying to find something you missed can be a pain.

* There is a puzzle based on darts in one of the houses that seem solvable just with the information present in the room. It is not, so don't waste your time trying to figure it out until you eventually find a very obvious clue to the solution.