Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Good thing those rocks can read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I know it's low hanging fruit, but where did that long branch come from? He didn't get it out of the ring :those twigs were very small.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All Cops itch Bastards elf karma?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Invisible Clergy posted:

I know it's low hanging fruit, but where did that long branch come from? He didn't get it out of the ring :those twigs were very small.

His bindle stick, I imagine.

Edit: no, I'm wrong, it's also in the panel.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Didn't they say he had to 'speak' the word, or am I just remembering a more interesting narrative than occurred

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Didn't they say he had to 'speak' the word, or am I just remembering a more interesting narrative than occurred

If he had to speak it, then it wouldn't be a comic with no dialog, then, would it? :smuggo:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I am once again shaking my head at the unbelievable serendipity of all of this. Just walk east, and you'll find a small circle of stones in a vast empty plain. There are none others like, it's definitely this one. And you also don't have to speak the password, just write it in the dirt, because otherwise that would be an inconvenience for the protagonist.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's destiny I guess. TLD's retrospective is the only thing that activates any neurons here and now that The Big One is over and done with even that's a strain. I'm glad to see it come back and I'm very sorry to hear why it paused. I went through the same thing you did at the start of the pandemic, though it was "better" in that my mother would have entered hospice care with or without COVID-19 spreading.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Fister Roboto posted:

I am once again shaking my head at the unbelievable serendipity of all of this. Just walk east, and you'll find a small circle of stones in a vast empty plain. There are none others like, it's definitely this one. And you also don't have to speak the password, just write it in the dirt, because otherwise that would be an inconvenience for the protagonist.

Shrug, friend, and enter

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

After Christmas break, that's when poo poo is gonna get real.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

After Christmas break, that's when poo poo is gonna get real.

Real stupid

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So where does everyone think the "gate" is going to open up to? My guess is some generic magic city.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm betting it's more white void dream realm poo poo

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
A land of dead women and or Satyrs loving. Rock on

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm betting it's more white void dream realm poo poo

Weird dream realm, 100%. An actual city would have to have qualities.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
The dream realm again. This way he can indefinitely stay there, find inkwich and Arudak, and know where they are in the overworld so he can reunite them and they can compare notes. He ought to manage to do these things, easily achievable in a single comic, by late September 2022.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok, I stopped paying attention to the thread back when he found that corpse or whatever it was. I just felt like legit nothing was going on and I was wasting my time paying attention.

I get back and the only things of note are that there's now a corpse lady that gets mad and they've been travelling a lot through weird landscapes, again.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Heck, even just having Snout’s corporeal form enter the dream world would be a step up for actually establishing stakes compared to what we’ve had, since there’s at least an implicit threat of “all of the weird, freaky poo poo that happens here can now potentially hurt or even kill you for real”.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Regalingualius posted:

Heck, even just having Snout’s corporeal form enter the dream world would be a step up for actually establishing stakes compared to what we’ve had, since there’s at least an implicit threat of “all of the weird, freaky poo poo that happens here can now potentially hurt or even kill you for real”.

Said weird, freaky poo poo being "Snout gets drenched in ink and paper a hundred times". It's symbolic! (maybe)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Ok, I stopped paying attention to the thread back when he found that corpse or whatever it was. I just felt like legit nothing was going on and I was wasting my time paying attention.

I get back and the only things of note are that there's now a corpse lady that gets mad and they've been travelling a lot through weird landscapes, again.

It's been five months since he left beasttown. The plot has been spinning its wheels for nearly half a year.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Happy New Year, Deeganologists!

I hope all your 2021s, along with my 2021, is better than 2020 was.

The War in Hell Part 4

Stuff like this makes me realize how much DD benifitted from the medium of a daily strip. This aspect of the story, where all these events happened within literal days of each other, breaks my suspension of disbelief badly. Since the stories were told on a timescale much longer than the time that passed in-world, I think my subjective perception at the time was that these stories were spaced out over months or even a few years.

So we set up the dramatic stakes. Someone is going to die, and there's nothing Dominic can do. I love all these powers seers get. Every story there's a new twist that give Dominic more insight into the plot

On the surface, I don't hate the setup of this. The idea that Miranda is doing a risky plan, with the knowledge that someone close to Dominic is going to die, are good stakes. But it sort of has the Thanos infinity war problem of why no one has tried this before. I guess she needed the gauntlet but at this point the plot singularity circling the Deegans is just so annoying that I can't take it seriously.

Then Mookie starts in with reminding us about the plot again, and ruining the storytelling in the process

See what I mean? It's baby's first dramatic irony, but the telling is so hamfisted that it pulls me out of it. Jayden and Milov should not have been in these strips.

The logic of how this hell magic works is very confusing. It's not clear to me what the demonic contract between infernomancer and demon is. In Karnak empowered by Szark? Does the loss of his infernomancer affect him? Do demon lords need multiple infernomancers to power their servant demons? It would help if Mookie could explain a little how these sympathetic links worked.

See, here, it seems like conciousness at least is directly related to how your counterpart is doing in the other world. I'm not even sure what it means if a demon bleeds and dies. Like what are the rules here? What are the stakes?

Again , a character beat that could be good if it were in a better story.

And again, what are the rules? Can Tox'xel use Bulgak to escape hell? That's not what any previous exposition dump so far has implied. It's not actually what happens either.

For some reason, all the demons in hell care about the Deegans and hangers on. I guess Tox'xel has the ability to replay events he or his servants weren't present for. Like Dominic, it's not clear why he does his manipulative bullshit, but presumable he has some (puppet) master plan it's all leading to. I guess with Bulgak at least, you have the idea that he doesn't really want to serve Tox'xel, so has to be tricked into it. Which makes Dominic have the MO of a demon lord with none of the reasons to.

Not to bring up that strip again, but it's that same problem from before. Bulgak's anger and hatred are what make him the villain of this arc. The context is that Stonewater is heroic. The whole setup of Bulgak, that he damned himself to save his homeland, isn't given any sympathy here. Eventually Bulgak does get redeemed, but at this point Mookie has set up a story where rape happens for heroic reasons, and a self-sacrifice makes a person evil. It's a very twisted idea, that makes me think this is deliberatly trying to be subversive without thinking about what ideas the story is communicating.

This speech is just so smug. How can Mookie not see how unlikable this makes Dominic?

And here, Mookie says that Bulgak is motivated by selfishness and lust. Not love, lust. He doesn't love Grench the way Stonewater does I guess, despite that never being shown. It's those weird sexual politics again. Bulgak is the jock.

We're back to people wanking over how amazing Dominic is. Literally lifting Dominic up to the status of totem or icon.

Anyway, this gives dominic the idea to make magic scrying dolls he can use to monitor everyone at once. Very lazy way to introduce this idea, another Eureka moment from random chance.

Somehow, the Royal Seer is an orc.

Also, an infernomancer. They are everywhere. It's weird that they went from being this apparent cadre of super soldiers who fled into hiding, into essentially spies in the halls of power. The concept of what they were shifted significantly over the months Mookie was writing this.

The orc is serving an as yet unnamed Demon Lord.

Stonewater = Love. Bulgak = Lust.

Again, I don't hate this particular beat. This idea will prove to be hubris on Dominic's part, and in a better story, this part would work.

And with that strip, the War in Hell Part 4 comes to a close.

Can't wait to see what Mookie does on January 4th.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Man he really drew the Karnak strips one handed didn't he? He just loves big breasted women getting hurt. Every update is proving to make Mookie and this strip look even worse than I remembered.

Not really relevant to this update, but I love how he made a decision to make magic more like math or engineering and then show us he has no idea how work in those fields is done either.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
"I am the Lord of Wounds so wounds can't hurt me lol"
These titles continue to remain bullshit.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
Piggart

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I see we've reached the point where Siggy became too popular and had to become racist.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also that his dad, who was later retconned to be the source of Siggy's racism, has an orc as his royal seer.

The most suspicious looking orc possible too. Mookie has never been on for subtlety.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
His dad isn't the king.

(The king is a different human supremacist.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Time has clearly been kind for me to forget that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cloacamazing! posted:

I see we've reached the point where Siggy became too popular and had to become racist.

Oh yeah I remember someone mentioning Mookie didn't like how people liked Siegfried and made him racist so people would hate him, or something. I was wondering if this was the first sign of racism from him, though I know Mookie jacks it up to 11 later with some sort of gift of dead orcs to his dad when he was a kid. I can only assume people still liked him after this scene and Mookie felt he had to make it even worse.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I forget, is this the first time the orc racial slur gets trotted out? Mookie sure does love his racial slurs.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

You know, a thought occurs: “piggart” seems real uncomfortably close to... a certain real life slur.

Ordinarily, I’d give the benefit of the doubt for the author and figure that it was just an unfortunate coincidence, but between him taking the time to create a whole lexicon of slurs for every species in Star Power, and the earlier arc in DD where he had the jocks constantly dropping the slur for gay people? :yikes:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure Mookie outright bragged about just mincing the n word to be orc-related.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
He's a mighty slur smith, hammering away at his anvil

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tesseraction posted:

How could you forget the Dance Commander?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

In a different situation with a different author I would say that creating a fake slur for a fake race that sounds and feels uncomfortable is a good bit of writing for emotional resonance. For Mookie I will absolutely not give praise for it and instead assume he just wanted to see how close to the n-word he could get without getting called out for it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nighthand posted:

In a different situation with a different author I would say that creating a fake slur for a fake race that sounds and feels uncomfortable is a good bit of writing for emotional resonance. For Mookie I will absolutely not give praise for it and instead assume he just wanted to see how close to the n-word he could get without getting called out for it.

Rowling gets a lot of deserved poo poo for things in and out of Harry Potter but 'mudblood' feels genuinely uncomfortable and dehumanizing.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tesseraction posted:

Someone went to a con and got Mookie to draw a sketch of the Dancecommander and write a short dedication to you on it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mookie has a child's understanding of racism. Bad People can only be racists and they show it by using slurs and being mean to orcs. Good People like the Deegans can never be racist. Why, look at how the Deegans have an orc friend in Stonewater, or how Dominic mansplains orc culture to others and cooks orc cuisine without consulting his orc guests, or how Daddeegan got his tribal tattoo by brokering peace between those warring savages tribes despite never learning the language properly.

Nighthand posted:

Agreed. It feels like Mookie was giggling to himself as he came up with as many slurs as possible for the species in Star Power.

Kavak posted:

Rowling gets a lot of deserved poo poo for things in and out of Harry Potter but 'mudblood' feels genuinely uncomfortable and dehumanizing.

And then there's the term "Muggle" for non-magical folk which sounds just as racist and dehumanizing, but it never gets examined at all.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 3, 2021

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

amigolupus posted:

And then there's the term "Muggle" for non-magical folk which sounds just as racist and dehumanizing, but it never gets examined at all.

It's not a slur. Slurs are for degrading people and commoners aren't people, you should know this. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Really, it could have made for... some kind of a gag if it turned out that Dadgan basically did the equivalent of some white guy getting a tattoo of a Chinese/Japanese character that he thinks is badass, but it’s actually something mundane or insulting.