Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

babypolis posted:

i guess the first purge is now on netflix, which is news to me. so we got around to watching it and drat, the previous movies werent exactly subtle but this one throws subtlety out of the window, puts a couple dozen bullets into it, and then buries it in the woods

my favorite bit was the blonde blue eyed militia men wearing extremely racist sambo masks. some loving dark poo poo for sure

The First Purge is great, and the best of two Superfly movies to come out that year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lindsay Ellis has a great three part series on what a huge fuckup the Hobbit movies were behind the scenes.

My favourite bit is the lead actress stressing that there was no love triangle followed up by reshoots to insert a love triangle.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's already been mentioned that that child rescue scene is an inversion and revision of history given that that was filmed at the same beach where the IDF murdered Palestinian children in real life, but then also there's:

* the Soviets launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the US after detecting hundreds of new nukes popping up in their backyard - but this is framed as a consequence of the plot device, occluding the actual history that for decades the US actually did outnumber the USSR in nuclear weapons, at times by an order of magnitude

* the Egypt subplot has an Arab "emir" (that's on the True Lies-level of stereotype) using the McGuffin to trigger the creation of a gigantic wall around a depressed area of Cairo, sealing poor people off from their only source of freshwater. Again, an inversion of what Israel actually does to Palestine

* there's another scene where another Arab emissary claims that "the Soviets have sided with Iran. Iraq is preparing to defend herself as unrest spreads.". The Iran-Iraq War started four years after the date of the events of this movie, and it began WITH IRAQ INVADING IRAN

jesus loving christ this movie is shithole propaganda

lol this existence loving sucks. good thing nothing matters anymore.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
There’s always the Rankin/Bass The Hobbit. One movie and no unnecessary extra characters or plot. And it’s good.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
"Where there's a whip there's a way" from the Rankin/Bass Return of the King by itself makes those movies better than Peter Jackson's.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean hell, it's the most sympathetic characterisation the Orcs get in most versions.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Zerilan posted:

"Where there's a whip there's a way" from the Rankin/Bass Return of the King by itself makes those movies better than Peter Jackson's.

mention of rankin bass making me miss venture bros real bad rn because i saw this for the first time the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbldnSRTM3Q

kinda amazing tbh

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's already been mentioned that that child rescue scene is an inversion and revision of history given that that was filmed at the same beach where the IDF murdered Palestinian children in real life, but then also there's:

* the Soviets launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the US after detecting hundreds of new nukes popping up in their backyard - but this is framed as a consequence of the plot device, occluding the actual history that for decades the US actually did outnumber the USSR in nuclear weapons, at times by an order of magnitude

* the Egypt subplot has an Arab "emir" (that's on the True Lies-level of stereotype) using the McGuffin to trigger the creation of a gigantic wall around a depressed area of Cairo, sealing poor people off from their only source of freshwater. Again, an inversion of what Israel actually does to Palestine

* there's another scene where another Arab emissary claims that "the Soviets have sided with Iran. Iraq is preparing to defend herself as unrest spreads.". The Iran-Iraq War started four years after the date of the events of this movie, and it began WITH IRAQ INVADING IRAN

Did Netanyahu produce this movie

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

mention of rankin bass making me miss venture bros real bad rn because i saw this for the first time the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbldnSRTM3Q

kinda amazing tbh

This is amazing and knowing that Dragoon/Red Mantle are actually The Big Bopper and Buddy Holly in the VB setting makes it even better.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Did Netanyahu produce this movie

In many ways.

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

Loveshaft posted:

The person who did this video edit deserves an award. :lol:

Haven't seen the movie. What is supposed to be happening in this scene?

Edit: Oh, saw the original clip on youtube. That's the dumbest thing I've seen for awhile now.

Phobos Anomaly has issued a correction as of 13:21 on Dec 27, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Phobos Anomaly posted:

Haven't seen the movie. What is supposed to be happening in this scene?

The convoy that Wonder Woman is chasing is about to run over those two kids playing on the road. She can't fly (yet), so she uses her Lasso of Truth to leap like Spiderman slingshotting himself with his webs. Except they're in the middle of the desert, so there's no tall buildings for her to grab onto. So she asks her sidekick to fire off an RPG into the air so that it'll shoot forward way ahead of the oncoming convoy, and then she lassos herself to the rocket so that she's dragged along with it, then she tosses the rocket aside, lands ahead of the convoy, grabs the kids and pulls them to safety.

The edit just has the rocket blow up the kids, because... well, that's what Israel actually did.

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

The convoy that Wonder Woman is chasing is about to run over those two kids playing on the road. She can't fly (yet), so she uses her Lasso of Truth to leap like Spiderman slingshotting himself with his webs. Except they're in the middle of the desert, so there's no tall buildings for her to grab onto. So she asks her sidekick to fire off an RPG into the air so that it'll shoot forward way ahead of the oncoming convoy, and then she lassos herself to the rocket so that she's dragged along with it, then she tosses the rocket aside, lands ahead of the convoy, grabs the kids and pulls them to safety.

The edit just has the rocket blow up the kids, because... well, that's what Israel actually did.

Apparently the scene still wasn't dumb enough.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Are the kids blind and deaf?

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

The New American Gothic: DoD using literal toy movies to brainwash adults into neocons and historical revisionists.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

reminder that in one of the Call of Duty games they claim that the Highway of Death was perpetrated by the Russians

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i had this as a kid. it ruled. hollywood shits on everything.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

ignoring the fact the ussr was surrounded by hostile nuclear powers on all sides, the ussr achieved a quantative advantage in nuclear arms in the mid 70s.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

reminder that in one of the Call of Duty games they claim that the Highway of Death was perpetrated by the Russians

not really, this is just repeating an exaggeration you heard from Twitter. the nation and factions in the middle eastern sections of the game are entirely fictionalized, at no point do they try to claim its historical in any way.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

not really, this is just repeating an exaggeration you heard from Twitter. the nation and factions in the middle eastern sections of the game are entirely fictionalized, at no point do they try to claim its historical in any way.

they're counting on the fact the majority of people playing the game aren't old enough to even know what the gulf war was.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

they're counting on the fact the majority of people playing the game aren't old enough to even know what the gulf war was.

they’re counting on the fact that it’s not real and the majority of people know it’s all made up, I.e. Law & Order “ripped from the headlines” whatever.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i honestly think its more likely the people making the game were so grotesquely historically and creatively ignorant that they came up with highway of death by complete coincidence not realizing it was already a name for a real life war crime

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also you can be non binary and Ronald Reagan will respect your pronouns

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

For those not really into Greek/Egyptian/Macedonian etc. history, Cleopatra VII Philopator was a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty.

When Alexander the Great died in 323 BC, his three best Macedonian buds carved up his empire, and his librarian friend Ptolemy I Soter ended up dictator of Egypt. His descendants ruled Egypt until about 300 years later, when Cleopatra sold the country to the Roman Empire and offed herself. The Ptolemies were famously incestuous and inbred, to the point where scientific papers have been written about the effects this had on their bodies: https://thorax.bmj.com/content/58/3/281.3

So, for those who have put two and two together, it's a perfect casting choice for a patriotic Israeli woman to play the white inbred dictator of a conquered indigenous people

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

i honestly think its more likely the people making the game were so grotesquely historically and creatively ignorant that they came up with highway of death by complete coincidence not realizing it was already a name for a real life war crime

it’s just a blender of a bunch of random poo poo from real life smashed together for a 6-7 hour FPS roller coaster. you have the highway of death, the Russian occupation of Afghanistan, the YPG, and the Syrian Civil War, the bin Laden compound raid, and some other poo poo all rammed together into a single storyline without rhyme or reason or even really a message, it’s just spectacle for spectacle’s sake. tasteless, sure, but it’s hard to take seriously the accusation “they’re blaming the Russians for American war crimes!!!” when that’s clearly not the case, the country you’re fighting in is entirely fictional as well as the factions, you’re not coming out the other end thinking the Russians are ravenous bloodthirsty dogs or whatever. MSNBC, on the other hand...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Lindsay Ellis has a great three part series on what a huge fuckup the Hobbit movies were behind the scenes.

My favourite bit is the lead actress stressing that there was no love triangle followed up by reshoots to insert a love triangle.

the repetition of "why does it hurt" "because it was real" to sum up the movies works well

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

and nothing in wonder woman is historical but people are still posting about it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I will take the L however and counter that Activision had Ollie North as an advisor at one time

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

I will take the L however and counter that Activision had Ollie North as an advisor at one time

yeah COD has cycled through developers and treyarch (who did black ops Cold War, the most recent one) has always been the most right wing lunatic out of all of them, while infinity ward has been relatively liberal

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wonder Woman versus The Power of Positive Thinking is a great idea. Self help culture is a sort of unofficial religious current in the US, with it's influence crossing traditional political and cultural boundaries. Liberals talk about self-care and conservatives have prosperity theology. So having the mythologically flavored superhero fight a personification of it is a really fun idea.

The actual follow thru was ridiculous, and since it's a Hollywood film the message ended up being really reactionary.

Wonder Woman 84 really reminds me of Rise of Skywalker. A giant mess of a film with weird themes, but sort of fun to complain about.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

More DoD propaganda on its way, folks!

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1343258833309691904?s=20

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Wonder Woman versus The Power of Positive Thinking is a great idea. Self help culture is a sort of unofficial religious current in the US, with it's influence crossing traditional political and cultural boundaries. Liberals talk about self-care and conservatives have prosperity theology. So having the mythologically flavored superhero fight a personification of it is a really fun idea.

The actual follow thru was ridiculous, and since it's a Hollywood film the message ended up being really reactionary.

Wonder Woman 84 really reminds me of Rise of Skywalker. A giant mess of a film with weird themes, but sort of fun to complain about.

Rise of Skywalker was a director’s petty grudge towards what he didn’t like of the previous movie and bloated it with fan service.

WW84 is straight up military propaganda poo poo in the form of a superhero movie. It’s more painful.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

who tf are the people excited about this

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

grate deceiver posted:

who tf are the people excited about this

The people who voted for Clinton in '16 and then Biden in '20.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how this basically confirms box office doesnt actually matter their streaming revenue must be gangbusters if theyre confirming another sequel after the sudden hostility spike once people could actually see the movie

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Potty Jenkum

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1343296426051325953?s=19

one of the boosters for Trump coup talking points is a dude who wrote a Dungeons & Dragons knock-off game, ran gaming website The Escapist, and managed Milo Yiannopoulous's brand (before his destruction at the hands of The Reagan Battalion).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Brandon_Bird/status/1342716929069305856

digging how this was apparently supposed to be seen as a compliment and not a burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/roddywhiteTV/status/59456714851885056?s=20