Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Safety Dance posted:

It's gotta be something along those lines. The vaccine provokes an immune response that teaches your body how to fight off COVID.

That said, my wife's only symptom after getting vaccinated was a sore arm for a few days. I guess you're mileage may vary.
I'm a little concerned with how hard it'll hit me but it's WAY better than the alternative. Will probably knock me out for a week or so. We realized today my wife might actually get it before me since she's military despite me being immuno-suppressed.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Philips norelco shavers are horrible, the rotary style blades suck.
Holy crap do they. Blood thinners so docs said no safety razor or regular one, picked up a highly rated rotary and the shave is just garbage as well as irritating the hell out of my face.

Had our "Christmas gathering" today with the wife's Dad, Step-Mom and Grandfather. They hung out in the driveway standing ~10ft apart from each other while we talked to them from the deck. What a weird year but it was really nice seeing them after nine months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I usually use a Harry's razor, which so far has been the best balance between razor burn and a close shave. Closer than a Mach 3, cheaper than whatever followed it. Doesn't nick much. Shavemob blades give a drat good shave for a disposable head, but they nick easily - you need a baby touch with them. Cheap as hell, though the handles tend to last maybe 2-3 months at best before the blade attachment thingamajig breaks.

I want to try a proper razor some day. Problem is I only shave maybe once a week... and usually just with wet/dry Panasonic trimmers without the guard. I've had the same blade on the actual razor for over 6 months, it's probably been used 4 times..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 27, 2020

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have a Panasonic Wet/Dry I've been using for about 5 years now with no issues. I also like Braun and am intrigued by their new 9 series.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I've been "wet shaving" or "vintage" shaving since I began shaving, what a shocker... a big part of that came from spending so much time with my grandparents, who were solidly members of the greatest generation. I, like most, got a mach 3 when I turned 18, which I very quickly gave to a friend. I still have interest in doing it, but its commonplace for me, but its been a long time since I've talked about it or photographed my collection. - here are some highlights

these photos are 7-8 years old, I still have all these razors, and use them regularly. I'd say my favorites are the silver shick injector and the 1954 Gillette aluminum handled black tip - the 58 Fatboy is fun too, but for some reason.. I'm not in to it - These days I still use Porasso, fine aftershave and I havent bothered to do my hair since rona...

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've been wet shaving for the past ~10 years (bought a Fatboy off a goon back then), but a couple months ago I bought the Philips OneBlade to try out. It ended up being perfect for me shaving every 2 to 3 days and not wanting a perfectly smooth shave. A little soap makes it shave better, but works perfectly fine dry. Any other electrics I've used, whether $30 or $200, gave me razor burn on my neck.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So now that I've painted it like an Italian race car, it'll stop working soon, right?

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So now that I've painted it like an Italian race car, it'll stop working soon, right?

I hope you have replacement smoke on hand for when some starts leaking.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Wet Shaving is the best if it didn't take so much time. Long live the Gillete Fatboy! My wife even got me a nice shaving scuttle years ago that makes the routine even nicer. I just tend to run out of time for the whole deal, but I think I'll make some time today for a proper shave.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well there's only a couple of games and any CAD/slicing I want to do, everything else is done on tablets and phones. I was thinking a used Lenovo 430 or 440 would suffice but I'll take any advice. Something cheap I throw more ram and an SSD in would do too.

You cant go far wrong with a decent lenovo. Just go for one of the big names and go for a higher end business model rather than a low end home user one.

Instead of buying a low end one and upgrading it consider buying a high end one that already comes with the good stuff. I always look at the ultrabooks (which would be an X1 with the Lenovo's i think). You should be able to find one with an i7 with 8 or 16GB RAM and an SSD or M.2 SSD and it will also come with windows 10 pro so you can bitlocker it.

I just got myself a toshiba ultrabook (a Z30) which came with an i7, 16GB of RAM and a 512 M.2 SSD and win 10 pro

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I stopped clean shaving about 4 years ago. I just use the wahl clippers i had from my buzzcut days with no guard. Leaves a decent stubble and i've had maybe 3 ingrown hairs in that time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I decided one day years ago that I just look better bald with a beard. Buzz cut the head, trim the beard and fix up the edges, takes me around 15-20 minutes every two weeks.

When I did shave, I used a Mach 3 and hated it, then a Merkur HD with Personna blades and Proraso soap+aftershave. Good stuff, if a little bit grandpa-like.

Now that I've started wearing pleated pants with an actual waist-level waist, suspenders and shirts as everyday wear, maybe I should just go full grandpa style :corsair:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think I've actually been clean shaven like, ten times since 2008. Job interviews and weddings are IT. Other than that, I'm weed whacking it with a Walmart trimmer and calling it good.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

My wife and son got me the electric skateboard I was talking about earlier :)

This thing is loving amazing, something I dreamed about as a kid. The torque and speed is going to take some getting used to tho :v:

Wow that's awesome!

I heard that boosted board company went under. What brand did you get?

I've always wanted to give these a shot but I would be afraid to buy the cheaper ones on Amazon.

STR posted:

I usually use a Harry's razor, which so far has been the best balance between razor burn and a close shave. Closer than a Mach 3, cheaper than whatever followed it. Doesn't nick much. Shavemob blades give a drat good shave for a disposable head, but they nick easily - you need a baby touch with them. Cheap as hell, though the handles tend to last maybe 2-3 months at best before the blade attachment thingamajig breaks.

I want to try a proper razor some day. Problem is I only shave maybe once a week... and usually just with wet/dry Panasonic trimmers without the guard. I've had the same blade on the actual razor for over 6 months, it's probably been used 4 times..

I also use Harry's razors. I really like their shaving cream/Gel, but I'm really not a huge fan of the razors.

Maybe I'll give the old school razor another college try. I really would like a cleaner shave. I'm in sales, and since quarantine started I have started to take extra care with my appearance.

As far as the vaccine talk goes, my best friend lives in NYC and is one of the head chefs at a hospital. He just got the Moderna vaccine yesterday and told me that he would let me know if he experienced any side effects.

I'm for sure going to get the vaccine as soon as I possibly can, but I am a little concerned that there may be some kind of side effects considering the thing was greenlit and pushed to distro so fast. I'm sorry, but I don't think I could ever trust big pharma enough for that.

He was told that he would need a second shot in 28 days btw fwiw.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 28, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you already have the razor handle you can get assortment packs of different blades from Amazon and figure out which one works best for your face.

I settled on the shark brand blades every other one seemed to cut the poo poo out of my face.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Wow that's awesome!

I heard that boosted board company went under. What brand did you get?

I've always wanted to give these a shot but I would be afraid to buy the cheaper ones on Amazon.

Mine is a Bustin, a company out of NYC that makes great quality stuff and excellent customer service.

If you want to go with a cheaper board, Benchwheel (UK) make really good affordable entry level boards. I have one and it's been great.

This is the one I have, great board for the price. https://benchwheel.com/collections/smarthlonandbenchwheelhome/products/penny-board-electric-skateboard

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Thumposaurus posted:

If you already have the razor handle you can get assortment packs of different blades from Amazon and figure out which one works best for your face.

I settled on the shark brand blades every other one seemed to cut the poo poo out of my face.

I'm going to have to get another handle, but I added a box of the shark blades to my Amazon use for future reference. I still have another month (at least) of Harry's blades to run through first.

Mine is a Bustin, a company out of NYC that makes great quality stuff and excellent customer service.

If you want to go with a cheaper board, Benchwheel (UK) make really good affordable entry level boards. I have one and it's been great.

This is the one I have, great board for the price. https://benchwheel.com/collections/smarthlonandbenchwheelhome/products/penny-board-electric-skateboard

This is really cool! I'm glad that companies are still making these. Kind of interesting that it's belt driven (or at least the Benchwheel I'm looking at is). $350 really is not bad at all. I remember those boosted board products were over $1000 and went like 30mph and were well known for being death machines. A 16mph top speed is much reasonable and safe tbh.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I've always been a fan of Feather brand razors - I bought a huge case of them about 10 years ago, and 10 years before that - I still have plenty

I've used Sharks, the middle east made gillette, russian gillette - all of them pretty much but I always go back to feathers. - if you guys are looking for a new aftershave give Mr. Fine a try:
https://fineaccoutrements.com/

literally the best of the best as far as I'm concerned - I used to work with the events team at one of the biggest cosmetic companies in the world, one day I was at the office and one of the big shots grabbed me and pulled me in to a board meeting with even more big shots and said "SMELL HIM, THIS IS WHAT WE NEED" - I was using Fine aftershave with my favorite Royal Crown pomade - I also smelled like cigarettes... pretty funny exchange, and I'm unsure if anything ever came from it, but I gave them the rundown on what I was wearing.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Thumposaurus posted:

Treet blades for me, everything else I tried was a bad time. Odd how such a simple thing like a blade can seem to affect people in different ways!

I bought 400 blades for ~£20, that'll do me for about 15 years.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah that's why I said get the assortment pack first just to try out a bunch of different brands.

I have an old mentos gum cylinder thing that I dremeled a slot into the lid of that used blades go into. I figure one day it'll be full and I'll tape it shut for disposal. It's still only half full after about 8 years.

Better than those old slots in the medicine cabinet that were supposed to be for blade disposal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those slots were brilliant, I love watching house demos and they find the blade pile.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

During the pandemic i've started shaving (well, trimming with a #2 guard) so my beard will fit under the mask. To balance this out I haven't had a haircut since december 2019 and it's as glorious as it can be with my receding hairline. Very Nick Cage-esque according to my wife.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is really cool! I'm glad that companies are still making these. Kind of interesting that it's belt driven (or at least the Benchwheel I'm looking at is). $350 really is not bad at all. I remember those boosted board products were over $1000 and went like 30mph and were well known for being death machines. A 16mph top speed is much reasonable and safe tbh.

Belt drive is very common, Boosted uses belts on all their boards it's like their trademark. The other is hub drive which my new Bustin has and lots of other makers use as well.

Drawbacks of belt drive is belts break, it's a bit noisy (belt whine) and bulky with the motor externally attached to the trucks, where the hub motors are almost silent and you can't really tell by looking at it that it's motorized because it's all internal within the wheels.

The great thing about belt drive tho is it's super smooth power and braking delivery. Hub motors are a bit herky-jerky but you get used to it. There are definitely camps that are pro belt and pro hub and poo poo on the other of course, just like auto enthusiasts! :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 28, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ham is very good and all, but Lamb is

Ate a great many plates of this the last two days, at least the 5 pounds in me now is 66% vegetable....?

Mango honey glazed tri-color carrots, roast sprouts, mint jam, and a fresh rosemary/mustard/sherry vinegar sauce made with the lamb cooking juices.
A TV chef would shout at me for cooking the lamb 'to gently caress' but the current trend of serving it still bleating is a bit gamey for my tastes so Medium it is.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That lamb dinner looks wonderful. I'd have it cooked the same.

If you pureed the carrots and served it all in a stack it would be fine dining.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ham is very good and all, but Lamb is

Ate a great many plates of this the last two days, at least the 5 pounds in me now is 66% vegetable....?

Mango honey glazed tri-color carrots, roast sprouts, mint jam, and a fresh rosemary/mustard/sherry vinegar sauce made with the lamb cooking juices.
A TV chef would shout at me for cooking the lamb 'to gently caress' but the current trend of serving it still bleating is a bit gamey for my tastes so Medium it is.

Lamb is loving great, and it's way better cooked until it's a bit pink like that over totally raw, I don't want weird mushy meat on my plate.

My brussel sprouts aren't quite dead yet, and almost a harvesteable size, maybe I'll actually get to eat them.

My rainbow carrots are still going strong.

For reference, that's a XXL/size 10 meat paw, and the forearm of a 6'4 sasquatch, on the hood of an '02 Ranger.

Surprisingly that carrot tasted good too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Good I love lamb, nobody else in my house can stand the taste or smell though, my wife will literally hurl at the smell of it cooking. The only lamb I've eaten in the last 5 years are mediocre lamb burgers cooked on the BBQ. Can't complain about the smell if its outside.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Christmas list? The Cursed Outback would finally work and leave my home.

Part one achieved. loving thing is working - issue is somehow the heater core is in backwards so the cooling system couldnt work right?? Just would never have occurred to me that it was even possible

Owner told to take his shitbox and get it the gently caress out of here so the second part is well on it's way too.

Thank gently caress this whole godawful saga might be over.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Belt drive is very common, Boosted uses belts on all their boards it's like their trademark. The other is hub drive which my new Bustin has and lots of other makers use as well.

Drawbacks of belt drive is belts break, it's a bit noisy (belt whine) and bulky with the motor externally attached to the trucks, where the hub motors are almost silent and you can't really tell by looking at it that it's motorized because it's all internal within the wheels.

The great thing about belt drive tho is it's super smooth power and braking delivery. Hub motors are a bit herky-jerky but you get used to it. There are definitely camps that are pro belt and pro hub and poo poo on the other of course, just like auto enthusiasts! :v:

Oh wow I guess I did not noticed that the boosted boards were belt drive. None of the youtubers that were running ads for it mentioned the drive train.

While I will resist the electric car as much as possible until it is already too late, I'm happy that as a result li-ion batteries and brushed electric motors are cheap enough to give us electric scooters and dirt bikes.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Shaving sucks. I bought into the whole safety-razor/wet shaving craze that hit the forums a bunch of years back and realized I don’t like spending 15 minutes to get yet another routine done as well as having another pile of stuff to clutter the bathroom, so it all got relegated to a box somewhere.

I just take the guard off of my hair clippers and knock everything down to a stubble, and if I have a job interview or something I just use a disposable razor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

T-Square posted:

Shaving sucks. I bought into the whole safety-razor/wet shaving craze that hit the forums a bunch of years back and realized I don’t like spending 15 minutes to get yet another routine done as well as having another pile of stuff to clutter the bathroom, so it all got relegated to a box somewhere.

I just take the guard off of my hair clippers and knock everything down to a stubble, and if I have a job interview or something I just use a disposable razor.

I tried wet shaving and cut myself really bad, left a splash of blood across the sink and mirror. Went right back to disposables after that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

The Oneblade is great for that and way less awkward than trying to use hair clippers.

My routine for shaving is the Oneblade if it's pretty long (not that often) then the Panasonic electric, then if I want a super smooth shave I will wet my face a bit and go over it with a good disposable razor. But most of the time it's usually just the Panasonic.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

T-Square posted:

I completely agree. Shaving absolutely sucks. I use a cheap beard trimmer to knock back my facial hair whenever it gets annoying, and otherwise I just let it ride.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I'm a terrible human being that uses disposable razors that I get on sale from Dollar general

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Giant pack of disposable razors and gel in a can for me. Used it for years, used a brush and nice lather for a while. In the end I decided my time in the morning was precious enough that I didn't care. Faster and more convenient is better.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

What is it with upper management/leadership embarrassingly reinforcing their terrible stereotypes?

My team returned to the office on an every other week basis (completely pointless but whatever) back in June and I requested to remain at home because of my fiancé’s cancer and putting her at risk. Since then every month and a half I have to submit a request to management to extend my request which is annoying, but they’ve been understanding and have granted them every time. Today though, Mr Big Director Man who’s adamant that we submit descriptive, specific, and measurable goals for personal growth every quarter or some bullshit came back with a “you need to follow the process for submitting as you’ve done in the past.” Uh, I did? I keep emailing him back and forth about what I’m doing differently or incorrectly and he just keeps telling me to review my prior email. I finally got sick of his beating around the bush and told him to specifically tell me what I’m doing wrong with my request and now I haven’t heard a peep from him. So much for descriptive, specific, and measurable...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tomarse posted:

You cant go far wrong with a decent lenovo. Just go for one of the big names and go for a higher end business model rather than a low end home user one.

Instead of buying a low end one and upgrading it consider buying a high end one that already comes with the good stuff. I always look at the ultrabooks (which would be an X1 with the Lenovo's i think). You should be able to find one with an i7 with 8 or 16GB RAM and an SSD or M.2 SSD and it will also come with windows 10 pro so you can bitlocker it.

I just got myself a toshiba ultrabook (a Z30) which came with an i7, 16GB of RAM and a 512 M.2 SSD and win 10 pro

The Lenovo T480s and T490s are barely bigger than the X1 like literally a few mm wider/deeper, and maybe a couple mm thicker. The current model in the "T" line would be the T14s, and the X1 just went into the 8th gen as well. All are solid choices. The T490s wnet USB-C charging only. I believe the T480s can still use the standard Lenovo charger, while also sporting USB-C charging and connectivity, if any of that matters to you. I find all of those machines to be solid at work. I think I like them better than the Dell Latitude 7480/7490/7400/7410 equivalents we also use. We've only deployed a few Lenovo T14s machines, but I have no reason to expect them to be under par.
One important consideration might be that the T series includes an Ethernet jack, while the X1 does not, if that matters. For the record, Dell dropped the Ethernet jack from the 7400/7410 as well. The 7480 and 7490 (now 3 and two years old, respectively) had severe battery issues early on. First swelling batteries, then sub-par lifespan, all out of the 1-year battery warranty that is conveniently separate from the 3-year warranty we buy on the machines. I have a stack of over 20 batteries on my desk that were replaced for having less than an hour of run time. Haven't replaced any 7400 or 7410 batteries (yet.)

Shaving: I am a heathen and have a Norelco (I think. I really don't care, much) rotary. It's OK. I have had a goatee or beard for the last 20 years, so I don't really ask much of a razor. When C19 started, I literally didn't shave or cut my beard other than minor trimming, until earlier this month, when I decided it was getting in the way. I really didn't want to snatch it in the drill press or something.
I think I'll try out that OneBlade. Seems like it would last forever at the rate I shave.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just recommended a Lenovo to close friends, a refurb i5 10th gen with 16 ram for $416 he just needs something to use at meetings. In my experience owning a computer store since Dell went to the smaller charger it’s a poo poo show for their cheap stuff. Lenovo and Asus have problems too. I wouldn’t say don’t buy them but be aware.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Didn't the pedophile who must not be named give his cat to another goon? 14 inch dick

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
+1 for thinkpads. I've been using the X series for almost 7 years now, haven't killed one yet.
not a thinkpad? meh. Dell's pro line is alright, I wouldn't do lenovo or dell's consumer line again, that's me though.

Ideapads i've not had good luck with.
The y50-70 is a big ole flimsy shitbox but at least it'll do 4k. It's no powerhouse though, the 860m doesn't have the stones to drive 4k gaming.

x220*/x230 with an i7, 16gb, SSD + 9cell/slice, and a fhd upgrade is a force to be reckoned with. Magnesium body with cheap GM plastics like a Dell, up to 20 something hours battery life, decent display for coding, and adequate hardware for compiling.

*sandy/ivy i7s are about the same for a dd. Sandy is a little easier to crack open and get the machine to do what you want. UEFI/Embedded license keys started with Ivy so there's extra steps involved to access the advanced/fun stuff. There are benchnerds that claim the I5 runs better as the I7 runs into thermal throttling. Haven't owned one so I can't weigh in on that. They do run hot though so do repaste them and throw a new fan on it while you're in there.
X-series build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Not Wolverine posted:

Didn't the pedophile who must not be named give his cat to another goon? 14 inch dick

Not to defend him but he was a rapist not a pedo.