Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

oldskool posted:

:ssh: there's a physical lock on the driver's door under a fascia of some sort

Yeah, but no one is going to be prying off the fascia of their door handle purely for the convenience of leaving the fob inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

wesleywillis posted:

No.
Up till probably the mid 90s most cars had separate keys for door and ignition.
Ignition and trunk, yes. Door and ignition, no. Source: Been driving since 1975, did a fast Google.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Not disputing your personal experiences but mine are 'round' key door and trunk, 'square' key ignition. These were Ford's and gm if that makes a difference.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Almost all GM-built vehicles up to the mid-Nineties-ish used a round key for trunk/doors and a square key for the ignition.

Source: I’m a mechanic and have had to deal with approximately three zillion car keys, plus I owned several mid-Nineties GM products, God help me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

JnnyThndrs posted:

Almost all GM-built vehicles up to the mid-Nineties-ish used a round key for trunk/doors and a square key for the ignition.

Source: I’m a mechanic and have had to deal with approximately three zillion car keys, plus I owned several mid-Nineties GM products, God help me.

I will be dogged. Thanks for the info. Wow, I bet that was annoying on a winter's day.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I will be dogged. Thanks for the info. Wow, I bet that was annoying on a winter's day.

You just kinda get used to it, even half-asleep with gloves on, muscle memory grabs the correct key 90% of the time.

I’m kind of ambivalent about the proliferation of gadgetry in cars(mostly because I have to fix them), but power locks/remote key fobs are a wonderful thing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Or when you're being chased by an axe-wielding undead maniac :v:

The Ford keys IIRC were the "round" key was more oval shaped cause Ford blue oval while the "square" key was more of a six sided, type shape.
GM products were more rectangular and slightly oblong circle.

I forget what my grandad's Chrysler Lebaron's (the car that talked to you!!) keys looked like. I think the the Ignition key was Pentagram shaped. Don't remember the door key though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

wesleywillis posted:

the Ignition key was Pentagram shaped

Either you meant "pentagon" or that poo poo was loving wild.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Hell on Wheels.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Aw gently caress. Yeah pentagon. He had enough crosses in his car though, Italian Catholic and all that

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O no, word up. The image of this rocking heavy metal pentagram key that would totally rip your pockets apart amused me a lot.

Typos happen to everyone and that one was just really funny.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Necro-ing this thread because I was just so chagrined about figuring this out, and feeling old.

We have 2 new hires at the restaurant I work at. One is a really good, hard worker. The other spends way too much time gabbing, lazing about, constantly asking for cigarette breaks.

The shift lead (who is 20) mentioned that he was gonna cut* them both around 1:00 pm, so around 12:50 I (who am 46) asked, "Hey, can I get a smoke in real quick before we cut Goofus and Gallant?"

"What did you call them?"
"Goofus and Gallant."
[blank stare]
"Y'know, from Highlights For Children?"
[more blank stare]

*"cut" means they're getting off the clock because our labor costs are too high, so we need to get people off the clock and out of there

Carillon
May 9, 2014

If it's any consolation, I'm 32 and know exactly what you're talking about! But Highlights was definitely a niche thing, I dunno how many of my age peers got it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I think you'll find that Goofus and Gallant were also in Boy's Life, which every Boy Scout got.

So what I'm saying is that all the coolest kids know about them.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Highlights For Children, including Goofus and Gallant, is still going. Magazines in general just aren't as common as they once were.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Gnoman posted:

Highlights For Children, including Goofus and Gallant, is still going. Magazines in general just aren't as common as they once were.

I am older than Olduvai dirt, but I saw Highlights for Children only at dentists' and doctors' offices. Maybe doctors and dentists have wised up?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
We got the same sample issue every single year in elementary school

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I went to pick up my friend's guitar from a luthier. When I went to pay for it, the luthier asked his apprentice to take my money and do the receipt because he had to attend to someone else and handed him a carbon duplicate receipt book and pen.

This kid opens the book up grabs the carbon copy sheet and goes "woah, what the hell is this?". I had to coach him through the whole process.

"Hey buddy, don't rip the receipt out, keep it in the book when you write on it and it'll transfer onto another copy"

"Wait, you have to put the thicker cardboard bit behind the yellow receipt"

"That's it, but put the coloured flap between the white and yellow receipts as well, that's what makes it transfer"

"No, no, no, wait. Write on the white receipt not the yellow one".

"No you don't have to write another one, it'll be copied onto the yellow receipt".

When he sees that writing copied onto the duplicate receipt he goes "oh, I GET IT NOW!'

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Pocket Billiards posted:

I went to pick up my friend's guitar from a luthier. When I went to pay for it, the luthier asked his apprentice to take my money and do the receipt because he had to attend to someone else and handed him a carbon duplicate receipt book and pen.

This kid opens the book up grabs the carbon copy sheet and goes "woah, what the hell is this?". I had to coach him through the whole process.

"Hey buddy, don't rip the receipt out, keep it in the book when you write on it and it'll transfer onto another copy"

"Wait, you have to put the thicker cardboard bit behind the yellow receipt"

"That's it, but put the coloured flap between the white and yellow receipts as well, that's what makes it transfer"

"No, no, no, wait. Write on the white receipt not the yellow one".

"No you don't have to write another one, it'll be copied onto the yellow receipt".

When he sees that writing copied onto the duplicate receipt he goes "oh, I GET IT NOW!'

It's like CTRL-A CTRL-C CTRL-V in one step!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ynglaur posted:

It's like CTRL-A CTRL-C CTRL-V in one step!

You mean that thing where you drag your finger over some text, then hold your finger down for the popup with the "copy" option, then paste it somewhere else by pushing the appropriate thingies on the touch screen?

(Seriously I've seen threads on these forums from school teachers about high school kids literally "typing" essays on their phones because that's the only computer they have.)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I haven't seen a receipt like that in probably 10+ years, so I sympathise with the apprentice.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am older than Olduvai dirt, but I saw Highlights for Children only at dentists' and doctors' offices.

Same.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am older than Olduvai dirt, but I saw Highlights for Children only at dentists' and doctors' offices. Maybe doctors and dentists have wised up?

I had a subscription for a few years.

Goofus and Gallant were by far the best part of it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I always felt sorry for Goofus and hated Gallant's stinking guts.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, that's where I mostly encountered them too. In fact, when I asked my boss (who's 60-ish), "YOU know who Goofus and Gallant are, right?" she said "Yeah! They were in that magazine in every doctor's office!"

My first job was shelving children's books at the public library, and they carried it, too. Anytime I had to put an issue back on the shelf I couldn't resist sneaking a peek at what those two were up to this month.

Jeza posted:

I haven't seen a receipt like that in probably 10+ years, so I sympathise with the apprentice.

I owned a shop in a flea market just a few years ago, and a lot of the vendors still used them. Even if you had an inside booth like I did, with electricity, it was safer than having a laptop/iPad sitting around --- which might get stolen --- to keep track of your transactions. Even when I got a Square reader for my phone so I wasn't cash-only, that doesn't really keep track of what they bought, so I rocked the old school carbon receipt pads.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

if you know any people with young kids, subscribe them to highlights. kids love it for the dual reasons of "activity book with coloring" and "something came in the mail, for me?!?"

we get highlights as a gift from now-deceased grandma and it's popular with the child. a good diversion for an hour or so that's not youtube

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why has Disney Adventures not gotten lots of nostalgia attention??

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Good question. I had subscriptions to both it and Highlights for Children for much of my childhood.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Back when I was a kid, Highlights was printed on such cheap paper stock that you could 'erase' print using a pencil eraser. Fast forward to all us erasing everyone's eyeballs so they looked like zombies.

I must have spent all my time doing that and not reading the magazine because I have no memory of Goofus and Gallant.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I owned a shop in a flea market just a few years ago, and a lot of the vendors still used them. Even if you had an inside booth like I did, with electricity, it was safer than having a laptop/iPad sitting around --- which might get stolen --- to keep track of your transactions. Even when I got a Square reader for my phone so I wasn't cash-only, that doesn't really keep track of what they bought, so I rocked the old school carbon receipt pads.

Sporting organisations too. You have volunteers taking cash money for uniforms, memberships, donations, entrance fees, etc and you need to maintain fully audited financial records as a condition of the grants/subsidies you receive from state government.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Jeza posted:

The "I could buy this shop and everyone in it" vibe will be lost to history.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Here's a reference lost in modern viewers in modern media - but I didn't realize that Eyewitness News refers to a difference in news broadcasting.

It refers to how there's a focus on footage from the scene rather than having someone in the studio just read the news to you.

Growing up, it literally meant nothing to me. It was just the name of the news on channel 7, but nope, it's an actual format that came from the rise of portable video recorders.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

See also "Film at 11", meaning that right now we're telling you about it, but we'll have actual footage after we've had time to print and edit it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
poo poo. I always thought that meant the movie running at 11. Like it was some joke about tv movies.

My mind is being blown, and I love it.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
television news being anything other than putting facebook comments, tweets, and viral youtubes on screen

they used to do journalism!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just watched Broken Flowers where Bill Murray travels all around the USA, navigating with a big stack of Mapquest printouts. It's only from 2005!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Quite a few of the lesfic roadtrip books I've been reading lately have the characters using maps instead of GPS.
Then again, books might be lost on modern audiences.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I went on a roadtrip this summer and we used a map a bunch. Partly because the gps gets very confused about Icelandic backroads and if it notices them at all it thinks they're a few meters in my away from where they are.

Not sure why this is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My father used to have those roadmap books made for specific cities that were an inch thick and mapped everything down to the neighborhood level. Those were awesome.

To which my kid would probably ask, "don't all maps zoom to the neighborhood level?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

My father used to have those roadmap books made for specific cities that were an inch thick and mapped everything down to the neighborhood level. Those were awesome.

To which my kid would probably ask, "don't all maps zoom to the neighborhood level?"

Hagstrom?