Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

Funny you mention Future, as while I get what they're going for, but it falls flat on its face by making the gems regressed back to 'lol how do humans function?' of S1 SU to drive the conflict

SU fell on its rear end and the movie was so bad I couldn't even get through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Steven Bomb I think hurts the series, and the movie really does feel like Sugar really, really wants you to know Rose was a colossal, selfish gently caress up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Unfortunately it's the former. Jazz is weird. I basically like music from every single genre, but that one is somehow both boring and overbearing. Also, for some reason I get headaches from the sound of saxophones. Oh, and I don't like pretentious jazz people. All of that makes me stay away from that movie.

Too bad really, I heard early stuff about it and I heard about some story about ghosts needing to come back and the animation was neat. But that's an absolute deal breaker.

I will be the rear end in a top hat and suggest that you probably could've spent the minutes writing these posts just watching the start of Soul instead, and maybe it turns out you love it despite jazz.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

Funny you mention Future, as while I get what they're going for, but it falls flat on its face by making the gems regressed back to 'lol how do humans function?' of S1 SU to drive the conflict
Eh, I don't know if that's really a fair criticism altogether when Pearl has a big friend group of queer middle aged women friends. The bigger issue with the Gems and the Diamonds is that they're falling into the same pattern they fell into with Rose of either treating her her like a savior or a scared confused child. Just like Rose, Steve has the capacity of being both. Greg does the same exact thing.

SU: F is a lot, but for my wife who is coming to terms with abuse and myself who is centralizing a gender identity, it was a very cathartic experience.

I do genuinely have no idea how anyone could dislike the movie. Like at the very least, it's a great musical.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
If you look at Pixar’s output, most of their best work was written either by Andrew Stanton (Toy Story, Wall-E) or Pete Docter (Up, Inside Out, now Soul). And of course Brad Bird. So the talent is still there. I think the decline is more about them bringing in other writers who’s work hasn’t been as strong. Brave, Onward and the Cars series were all written by other writers. Coco seems to be the only one not written by the three I mentioned that was really beloved.

Edit. Actually Toy Story 3 was also written by someone else. Only Toy Story movie Stanton didn’t do the screenplay for. (He co-wrote the story though).

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 27, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I do genuinely have no idea how anyone could dislike the movie. Like at the very least, it's a great musical.

Pick hates SU to be fair

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

theblackw0lf posted:

If you look at Pixar’s output, most of their best work was written either by Andrew Stanton (Toy Story, Wall-E) or Pete Docter (Up, Inside Out, now Soul). And of course Brad Bird. So the talent is still there. I think the decline is more about them bringing in other writers who’s work hasn’t been as strong. Brave, Onward and the Cars series were all written by other writers. Coco seems to be the only one not written by the three I mentioned that was really beloved.

Brave is great!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Pick hates SU to be fair

I loved a lot of early SU, but it just did the JJ Abrams thing where it turns out it had no plan and its themes are all messed up.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

BonoMan posted:

Brave is great!

Yea didn’t mean to dis Brave (I’ve never seen it). Just pointing out those movies that seem to have gotten more mixed reaction.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I loved Onward myself. Just watched Soul and it was also great.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Pick posted:

I loved a lot of early SU, but it just did the JJ Abrams thing where it turns out it had no plan and its themes are all messed up.

This is incredibly wrong. SU had things extremely well planned out. Its theming is very consistent.

And yeah, the movie rules.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Unfortunately it's the former. Jazz is weird.
How the fuxk can anyone listen to this and just write off the whole genre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCqZE6oBSsQ

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Wittgen posted:

This is incredibly wrong. SU had things extremely well planned out. Its theming is very consistent.

And yeah, the movie rules.
Yeah, Steven's whole Story Arc is in the original opening theme song and Cookie Cat basically explains the whole big twist.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I would like to see a real debate where it is decided if SU is good or bad, once and for all! But both sides need to show their work, there is too much conjecture.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
SU is good because it has a single dad being a supportive and positive (if somewhat absent) role model for the son, and dealing with the onslaught of puberty in a positive and accepting way.

It also tries to be inclusive by showcasing different ethnicities and orientations, and deals with anxieties of friendships, professional relationships, and romantic interests.

Primarily, it works to show that children have to deal with the bullshit foisted upon by their parents (either through genetics, actions, or seeming legacies), and must work to become their own people (hopefully learning that parents are fallible in the process).

Also it cribs liberally and heavily from Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Before we can mathematically prove the goodness of SU we must first establish this lemma: that the comet arc of Adventure Time was good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that Steven Universe has metaphors which can be interpreted in good faith as bearing a meaning that some viewers disapprove of on moral grounds, but which do not necessitate such interpretation.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Boxman posted:

Anyway this rando on Disney twitter is having a normal one thanks to Soul, and I think we can all agree that its pretty great.

https://twitter.com/JLHomni/status/1342699861163053056
https://twitter.com/JLHomni/status/1343025878687752192

Hahaha woow.... I've met this guy in person. He's exactly as pretentious as you would think.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, Steven's whole Story Arc is in the original opening theme song and Cookie Cat basically explains the whole big twist.

Exactly. I get it if someone doesn't like SU or where it ended up going. But "poorly planned" and "thematically inconsistent" are just inaccurate criticisms.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I want an antire full length animated movie in the style and surreality of Felix Colgrave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhVehcHwOB8&hd=1

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

FilthyImp posted:

SU is good because it has a single dad being a supportive and positive (if somewhat absent) role model for the son, and dealing with the onslaught of puberty in a positive and accepting way.

It also tries to be inclusive by showcasing different ethnicities and orientations, and deals with anxieties of friendships, professional relationships, and romantic interests.

Primarily, it works to show that children have to deal with the bullshit foisted upon by their parents (either through genetics, actions, or seeming legacies), and must work to become their own people (hopefully learning that parents are fallible in the process).

Also it cribs liberally and heavily from Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Theoretically all positive, but how does the show itself support these themes? We gotta see some proofs, in the writing and directing.

Schwarzwald posted:

Before we can mathematically prove the goodness of SU we must first establish this lemma: that the comet arc of Adventure Time was good.

Both would have been great, if they had been movies. And there's at least a good movie's worth of SU.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Well, I guess I am the anti-target audience for this movie than. Too bad. It's just not for me and I have to accept that.
Maybe one day someone will make a movie for someone like me. An absolutely white, hetero cis-male. I bet nobody has ever made a movie about and for that kind of person. :v:
you should watch heavy traffic

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I would say that the music in Soul is pretty "safe" in terms of improvisational jazz. You'd have to be irrationally opposed to it to be turned off the whole movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im probably not going to watch Soul because Jazz is a thematic element to it. Across all the instruments I played Jazz was the carob of music.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Random thought in the middle of watching Soul: why would you not be able to smell or taste things in the Hall of Everything? It’s like 80% of all cooking and baking, and would be an integral part of gaining the spark, surely?

Probably more to come!

EDIT: ah.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 28, 2020

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

U kno who else liked jazz?

Thats’s right, it’s Barry B. Benson and he was reincarnated as Joe in soul, setting up the Dreamworks/Disney Pixar animated universe. In this essay I,

(Soul was enjoyable, watch it even if you aren’t a fan of jazz ya nerds)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Barudak posted:

Im probably not going to watch Soul because Jazz is a thematic element to it. Across all the instruments I played Jazz was the carob of music.

Jazz is a part of soul but it's very melodic jazz and completely inoffensive. It's also only half of the music themes. The rest is this synth abstract stuff and it's awesome.

I def don't hate jazz but I'm pretty indifferent to it. It's not going to even remotely ruin the movie for anyone.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Not watching Soul because you don’t like jazz is like not watching Coco because you don’t like uhhhh the genre of music in Coco

Aka a dumb reason to not watch an amazing movie

(Actually I haven’t seen Soul yet, watching it tonight, can’t wait)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Next from Pixar, a movie about rap and country

Working title, “Everything Except”

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Soul review: It was good! Little rote, but great music and animation that really made it enjoyable to watch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alright, finished Soul. Pretty good, and definitely angling more towards an adult market while still being kid friendly. Top notch music throughout, from both the score by Reznor/Ross (who have been knocking it out of the park with everything they’ve done lately) and the jazz pieces from Jon Batiste. In some ways they’re more transcendent than the some of the plot beats.

I feel like this is by far the most detailed Pixar film? NYC looked absolutely stunning and incredibly realistic every time it appeared. Some shots I wasn’t even sure if they just went out and filmed or used some stock footage. It was so vibrant.

Pixar definitely doling out the gut punches right now with their ‘go live life’ message and some of us in lockdown unable to do exactly that. More than anything it just makes me want to go back and visit NY again.

Now, let’s see how gay they’re gonna make Luca!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The_Doctor posted:

Alright, finished Soul. Pretty good, and definitely angling more towards an adult market while still being kid friendly. Top notch music throughout, from both the score by Reznor/Ross (who have been knocking it out of the park with everything they’ve done lately) and the jazz pieces from Jon Batiste. In some ways they’re more transcendent than the some of the plot beats.

Ha poo poo... for some reason I hadn't gotten around to checking out who did the non-Jazz portions of the score. Of *course* it was Reznor/Ross. Yeah they kill it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There was a few second shot near the end of Soul showing an aerial of all of Manhattan at night and that must not have been a fun assignment.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

"All Pixar movies are alike; every poorly-animated movie is interesting in its own terrible way."

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Great little article on Earwig and the Witch: https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-topics/g01000/ghibli-rebooted-studio-goes-3d-for-new-movie-earwig-and-the-witch.html

It seems like Goro Miyazaki sees CG as Ghibli’s future.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

Next from Pixar, a movie about rap and country

Working title, “Everything Except”

Ends up an animated remake of Wild Wild West

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Saw Croods 2 today and it’s about as bad as the commercials make it out to be. It has big boomer energy oozing out of it. I rather liked the first movie and there is a couple of good bits in it but drat it’s completely pointless.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bummer, since I quite liked the first one. Not amazing but not bad. But yeah, the ads for the second made it seem annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Inspector Gesicht posted:

"future pixar offerings". This former 27 year old had seen plenty of their movies before Tolstoy 4, but now it feels like Ive seen all the tools in their box and theres no real reason to get excited, unless there's new blood in the company.

I liked the drat movie where Will Smith turns into a pigeon better. It even had the same plot as Spider Man far from Home but much less tone-deaf.

I agree, I found Tolstoy 1-3 to be superior.