Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Origami Dali posted:

Unico in the Island of Magic

I hadn’t heard of this movie, and a quick look at the wiki had me busting out laughing at the first line of the description:

quote:

This film essentially picks up after The Fantastic Adventures of Unico with the West Wind dropping Unico off in a new location called Poland where the gods will be unable to locate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Abugadu posted:

I hadn’t heard of this movie, and a quick look at the wiki had me busting out laughing at the first line of the description:

*looking around Warsaw*

“The gods have abandoned this place”

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

JordanKai posted:

I've been trying to find a film that I believe was mentioned in the Who Greenlighted? thread a year or so again. It was a South Korean film if I remember correctly, but it could've been Japanese (or a joint venture) as well. I believe it was a heightened reality action movie kind of deal, with a lot of gore and stylish editing (the trailer did, at least). It got a lot of buzz because pretty much every single significant name in South Korean cinema was signed onto it. I remember the trailer having all the names flash up one after another like it was The Godfather or something.

Not a lot of info, I'm afraid. Does anyone by chance know what I'm talking about? :shobon:

I'm going to take another shot at this; New World
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2625030/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rln9Hx_wPFw
It has some pretty big names in it, a Chinese faction in the story, some really brutal stabbing and you saying The Godfather makes me think maybe it was a mob movie like this one.

It is a fantastic movie.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BioTech posted:

I'm going to take another shot at this; New World
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2625030/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rln9Hx_wPFw
It has some pretty big names in it, a Chinese faction in the story, some really brutal stabbing and you saying The Godfather makes me think maybe it was a mob movie like this one.

It is a fantastic movie.

Sorry, I only mentioned The Godfather as a point of reference for how many big names were attached to the project. It had nothing to do with the genre.

This looks good, though! It's going on the list as well. :)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
while ago I was watching iirc Comedy Central playing a movie, it was I wanna say from the 90s synopsis is about a guy scamming the US military pretending to be a contractor with a killer app/weapon? The one scene I remember was a guy in a wifebeater (or something equally nasty and goony) in a motel ranting to the main character that he's been waiting for a phone call that will change his fortunes but for so long (weeks? months?) he's giving up hope. He shoots himself and literally the moment after the phone rings.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Alan Smithee posted:

while ago I was watching iirc Comedy Central playing a movie, it was I wanna say from the 90s synopsis is about a guy scamming the US military pretending to be a contractor with a killer app/weapon? The one scene I remember was a guy in a wifebeater (or something equally nasty and goony) in a motel ranting to the main character that he's been waiting for a phone call that will change his fortunes but for so long (weeks? months?) he's giving up hope. He shoots himself and literally the moment after the phone rings.

Sgt. Bilko has that general plot and feels like a crappy movie Comedy Central would play a lot but I don't remember a suicide

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
This one's been bugging me for a few years:

Post apocalyptic car movie, some kind of climate disaster, everything's desert, pretty standard for the late-80s, early 90s. One stylistic touch I clearly remember was that the cars all had louvers on the front windscreens.

One scene I also clearly remember is that the protagonist blows his engine or something, and his buddy has a futuristic super-engine that they can drop in, but it has a weird rectangular front intake that won't fit, so they notch the fascia (I'm thinking this is like an 80s Camaro or maybe a Fox body?) with a torch so that the engine will drop down.

Pretty sure it's not any of the Mad Max movies, nor the Death Race movies. It's definitely not a modern movie.

I'd appreciate if someone could help get this worm out of my brain, it's been rattling around in there for awhile.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

fatman1683 posted:

This one's been bugging me for a few years:

Post apocalyptic car movie, some kind of climate disaster, everything's desert, pretty standard for the late-80s, early 90s. One stylistic touch I clearly remember was that the cars all had louvers on the front windscreens.

One scene I also clearly remember is that the protagonist blows his engine or something, and his buddy has a futuristic super-engine that they can drop in, but it has a weird rectangular front intake that won't fit, so they notch the fascia (I'm thinking this is like an 80s Camaro or maybe a Fox body?) with a torch so that the engine will drop down.

Pretty sure it's not any of the Mad Max movies, nor the Death Race movies. It's definitely not a modern movie.

I'd appreciate if someone could help get this worm out of my brain, it's been rattling around in there for awhile.
Might be one of these?

https://filmschoolrejects.com/mad-max-ripoffs/

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

None of them look like what I remember, but thanks!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

fatman1683 posted:

None of them look like what I remember, but thanks!

heres another list

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

morestuff posted:

Sgt. Bilko has that general plot and feels like a crappy movie Comedy Central would play a lot but I don't remember a suicide

I dont think it's this one I'd remember it, I didn't really recognize the people in it

I think the guy who commits suicide was middle aged and lead was younger than him

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

Just from the tone, could it be Best Defense? I can't remember the movie clearly enough.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sounds like Deal of the Century.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0085412/?ref_=m_nmfmd_act_80

https://youtu.be/3c_2kWc-8Os

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 16, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yup

even found the scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNF7b86TiA

Can't believe I didn't remember it was Chevy Chase and Wallace Shawn

inconceivab le

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I can't remember any of the details of the film I'm looking for except at one point on TV there's an an old black and white movie from the 50s playing about a giant radioactive bird swoops in and eats a soldier parachuting out of a plane.

Can anybody help with this from a while back?

The movie with the giant bird I'm describing was The Giant Claw. I'm still driving myself mad trying to figure out in which film the characters were watching The Giant Claw.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alan Smithee posted:

yup

even found the scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNF7b86TiA

Can't believe I didn't remember it was Chevy Chase and Wallace Shawn

inconceivab le

Jesus, what is with that camera lens effect?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like it could be YouTube's auto-stabilization algorithm. It can get a little screwy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The movie with the giant bird I'm describing was The Giant Claw. I'm still driving myself mad trying to figure out in which film the characters were watching The Giant Claw.

Electric Dreams (1984)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Or TerrorVision. And for future reference, IMDB has a "Featured In" references section.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
There was an asian action film I watched a year or so ago with a crazy ambulance scene and at the end two women like assassins go at it and one of them chops the others hand off. Anybody remember what I'm talking about?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

MisterFister posted:

There was an asian action film I watched a year or so ago with a crazy ambulance scene and at the end two women like assassins go at it and one of them chops the others hand off. Anybody remember what I'm talking about?
Could it be The Night Comes for Us? or Furie?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I'm trying to remember a Spanish language movie (Or was it French? I think it's set in France) about a Mexico City exchange student studying abroad in Europe who begins to suffer a mental breakdown. The cinemetography and set design is exceptionally colorful, and it came out in the mid 2000's I believe.

I can remember nothing else about it due to the routine level of intoxication I was under in the mid 2000's. Any ideas?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

DOOMocrat posted:

I'm trying to remember a Spanish language movie (Or was it French? I think it's set in France) about a Mexico City exchange student studying abroad in Europe who begins to suffer a mental breakdown. The cinemetography and set design is exceptionally colorful, and it came out in the mid 2000's I believe.

I can remember nothing else about it due to the routine level of intoxication I was under in the mid 2000's. Any ideas?

That sounds like L'Auberge Espagnole (The Spanish Apartment), but in that the character is from France, not Mexico, and it's set in Barcelona.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Origami Dali posted:

Electric Dreams (1984)

feedmyleg posted:

Or TerrorVision. And for future reference, IMDB has a "Featured In" references section.

Thanks but I should have mentioned the film I'm thinking of wasn't on this list when I checked it last time.

It's a recent-ish horror/thriller film/show that I'm mostly certain I was streaming on UK Netflix. I thought it could have been It Follows. It's possibly the first episode of Locke and Key or The Haunting of Hill House, I'll go back and check.

Thanks for trying though!

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

That sounds like L'Auberge Espagnole (The Spanish Apartment), but in that the character is from France, not Mexico, and it's set in Barcelona.

From the trailer, that's not it. This was far more surrealist.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

DOOMocrat posted:

The science of sleep?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

This was driving ME crazy because I was watching this movie with my mother, and she talked about seeing The Giant Claw in theaters with her dad, who loved cheesy sci fi movies. Only problem was, I couldn't remember watching any movie with my mother recently aside from End of Watch, which it definitively wasn't.

But it was It Follows!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

SolarFire2 posted:

This was driving ME crazy because I was watching this movie with my mother, and she talked about seeing The Giant Claw in theaters with her dad, who loved cheesy sci fi movies. Only problem was, I couldn't remember watching any movie with my mother recently aside from End of Watch, which it definitively wasn't.

But it was It Follows!

Jeez I'd convinced myself it wasn't It Follows and didn't bother to go back and double check.

Thanks!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What's the Hellraiser sequel that feels like a crossover with Mulholland Drive? Feel like watching it now.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

busalover posted:

What's the Hellraiser sequel that feels like a crossover with Mulholland Drive? Feel like watching it now.

Deader?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nD0BLTV2s

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

I don't think I've ever seen that one lol. No, the one I mean had a black-haired detective solving a murder, I think.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

busalover posted:

I don't think I've ever seen that one lol. No, the one I mean had a black-haired detective solving a murder, I think.

Oh, that'd probably be Inferno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77yCHOd3c60

I might've binged the entire Hellraiser series at the start of quarantine :v:

Edit: that also kinda describes Hellraiser Judgement, though that's more a Se7en-ish vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxvrmWijW2A

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

DoombatINC posted:

Oh, that'd probably be Inferno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77yCHOd3c60

I might've binged the entire Hellraiser series at the start of quarantine :v:

Edit: that also kinda describes Hellraiser Judgement, though that's more a Se7en-ish vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxvrmWijW2A

Yeah it's Inferno. Never made it through Judgement, kinda zoned out and eventually turned it off.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've been trying to remember a movie for years and just broke down and decided to ask here.

I think it was a Blade Runner-esque sci-fi cop movie.

It was late 80s or early 90s.

I only remember one scene. They were trying to catch a killer so they set up a sting operation with a cop (android?) taking a fake shower. They're watching from the next building. The killer manages to get in kill and dismantle the android and escape without getting caught.

Very strange I know. Buts that's all I remember. I remember it also scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Travic posted:

I've been trying to remember a movie for years and just broke down and decided to ask here.

I only remember one scene. They were trying to catch a killer so they set up a sting operation with a cop (android?) taking a fake shower. They're watching from the next building. The killer manages to get in kill and dismantle the android and escape without getting caught.

Very strange I know. Buts that's all I remember. I remember it also scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Bits and pieces of this sound like Hardware.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Travic posted:

That also sounds like the beginning of F/X 2

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Trevor Hale posted:

That also sounds like the beginning of F/X 2

That's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWL0iQxE7U

I just wish I the clip went on a little longer because I clearly remember they go into the bathroom and there's dismembered body (robot?) parts everywhere. But that is clearly a real guy there.

Thanks. I'm very impressed.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Travic posted:

That's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWL0iQxE7U

I just wish I the clip went on a little longer because I clearly remember they go into the bathroom and there's dismembered body (robot?) parts everywhere. But that is clearly a real guy there.

Thanks. I'm very impressed.

There’s an animatronic clown later. F/X 2 is a lot more ridiculous than the original

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watching Soul has reminded me of an American 80s film. I think it’s got observers from the afterlife watching a guy on earth go through various trials and they’re doing VO commentary on how he’s doing. The two observer voices are a man and a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Watching Soul has reminded me of an American 80s film. I think it’s got observers from the afterlife watching a guy on earth go through various trials and they’re doing VO commentary on how he’s doing. The two observer voices are a man and a woman.

Defending Your Life?