Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
It's also important for setting up the myth of Heros and that the warhammer titan was unique in its motivations. Still wondering what the hell Eren saw when he drank that coconut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I just realized that Eren infiltrating Marley, killing their ruling family and stealing their titan mirrors Grisha dong the same on Paradis with the Reiss family

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eustace posted:

I just realized that Eren infiltrating Marley, killing their ruling family and stealing their titan mirrors Grisha dong the same on Paradis with the Reiss family

Slaughtering national governments, holding the Attack Titan, plotting coups, having sex with exiled members of the Fritz family...

Like father like son, eh?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

The anime reminded me of how weird and ultimately surprisingly unimportant the whole Tybur family being the secret rulers of Marley thing was.

It's important, because it shows Marley's narrative of racial shared responsibility as bullshit. Random Eldians are punished for the sins of their ruling class from previous generations, yet here we have an actual member of the Eldian ruling class actually ruling the country and no one gives a crap.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I know it's a pipe dream but I hope Guren no Yumiya plays sometime during the final season. Playing it when the Scouts show up in Liberio would be rad. Alternatively, when the Alliance jumps out of the plane.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

I know it's a pipe dream but I hope Guren no Yumiya plays sometime during the final season. Playing it when the Scouts show up in Liberio would be rad. Alternatively, when the Alliance jumps out of the plane.

I always want longer anime to play the first opening again near the end for dramatic effect and they always let me down.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ethiser posted:

I always want longer anime to play the first opening again near the end for dramatic effect and they always let me down.

jojo nailed it

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
Guren no Yumiya really, really doesn't fit thematically with all the stuff going on.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

On the other hand using it would be an incredible signifier of having just completely missed the point.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

On the other hand using it would be an incredible signifier of having just completely missed the point.

Look if in the final chapter the evil parasite aliens that created the titans descend from space and all the characters have to join together to fight them that song will fit extremely well. That has a 0% chance of happening, but you never know.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Play Guren no Yumiya as most people if not everyone in the main cast dies ignominious deaths at the hands of the Titans.

I mean, it'd kinda work. :shrug:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Play it at the end of the episode as Eren declares genocide, the walls fall and everyone looks shocked, the ED credits play on the screen but it's all just walls crumbling, the titans rising and starting to move.

for bonus points, intersperse the abstract images from the original op as well. In fact, put images from all the different ops and eds in there, really let it stew that this is all it's led to.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 29, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
It's probably going to be some rendition of ət'æk 0N tάɪtn or ERENthe(coordinate).

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Anybody know what the tumblr and kpop teens who accused aot of being fascist propaganda are saying about this season? are they still running with Isayama being a cryptofash?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Biden won so fascism was defeated forever.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Tumblr is dead but Twitter is still on that poo poo and refusing to take the L.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Beefstew posted:

Tumblr is dead but Twitter is still on that poo poo and refusing to take the L.

Tumblr is more of a description of a certain mindset than a place at this point

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eustace posted:

Anybody know what the tumblr and kpop teens who accused aot of being fascist propaganda are saying about this season? are they still running with Isayama being a cryptofash?

It was always about taking the depiction of fascism as an endorsement, so the fact that fascism is now depicted more directly means that the AoT has become more fascist.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
People still haven’t learned that depiction does not mean endorsement if that’s what you’re asking.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
How fascist is Star Wars, according to twitter?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I feel like the best comparison is still Veerhoven's Starship Troopers.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eustace posted:

Tumblr is dead but liberal reaction lives on.

Lol remember way back when the hot take was AOT is antiweasterner and pro Japanese imperialist, because titans are grotesque caricatures of white people (ignoring that everyone except mikasa is depicted also as western)

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I watched the first 20 minutes of Schindler's List then stopped so I could write this Kotaku article and let me tell you that is some crazy fascist propaganda.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I watched the first 20 minutes of Schindler's List then stopped so I could write this Kotaku article and let me tell you that is some crazy fascist propaganda.

"Zaillian begins his banal attempts to redeem Oskar Schindler by melodramatically having him witness the execution of a young girl, prompting a change of heart, but as a wealthy man with privileged connections to the Nazi Party it is clear he should've been able to do a lot more, a lot sooner."

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 30, 2020

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Tumblr is dead but liberal reaction lives on.

Lol remember way back when the hot take was AOT is antiweasterner and pro Japanese imperialist, because titans are grotesque caricatures of white people (ignoring that everyone except mikasa is depicted also as western)

Around the point the anime is at, I could see someone coming out of what's going on with the idea AOT is saying, "oh look at us poor Japanese, oppressed and hated by everybody in the world, Imperial Japan did nothing wrong, it is everyone else who are the monsters," but I think it's a reading where you really have to turn your head and squint, and isn't really borne out by events later on.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The entire "AoT is fascist!" discourse has changed its mind about how it's fascist with each new development in the manga, because their arguments are constantly getting disproved. First its anti-immigration, then it's pro-police state, then it's villainizing refugees, then it's pro-imperial Japan, then it's pro-Nazi, then it's pro-Israel, then it's tankie. And what's funny is that every time they move goalposts, they also have to change who they think is being vilified by the show. The arguments are so conspiracy-laden and contradictory that they belong on a QAnon board.
Twitter left bad. Real left good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Attack on Titan is fascist because it glorifies zipping around like Spider-Man on portable ziplines. Like dang, why don’t I have a zipline?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
You're not fascist enough.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

Attack on Titan is fascist because it glorifies zipping around like Spider-Man on portable ziplines. Like dang, why don’t I have a zipline?

*slams desk* I need pictures! Pictures of Survey-Man!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Homora Gaykemi posted:

*slams desk* I need pictures! Pictures of Survey-Man!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Super Rad posted:

How fascist is Star Wars, according to twitter?

Depends on if you like or hate Reylo I think.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

time for a new thread title

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
This current volume has been confirmed to be the last one, which means that the series will end on Chapter 138 or 139 (if the final volume is extended to five chapters). As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, 139 would be appropriate due to the importance of the numbers 13 and 9 in the series.

Even with four chapters left, that's remarkably soon. Isayama is going to have to be careful for things to not feel rushed. I hope we have at least one full post-battle chapter so that the story has some space to breathe before ending.

Ideally, it would look something like:
- 136: A "false hope" chapter where Annie and Falco's arrival seem to turn the tide. Chapter ends when Armin transforms.
- 137: Eren reveals that this is all according to Keikaku (whatever that may be), defeats the Alliance, likely kills at least some of them.
- 138: A final confrontation between Eren, Armin and Mikasa. Armin tries to Talk no Jutsu either Eren or Ymir but ultimately fails. Mikasa dies, her last words are "See you later, Eren". Eren returns to Paradis, greeted as a hero but a broken shell of a person. Eren reunites with Historia, who has given birth to their daughter Ymir, the reincarnation of the original.
- 139: Epilogue. I'm hoping it's basically just an adaption of the music video for Akatsuki no Requiem, with a 10-year-old Eren contemplating his future self's actions and coming to terms with them once he sees a world without walls. Series ends with an adult Eren holding his daughter, weakly proclaiming that she is free. It is either inferred or explicitly stated that Ymir's freedom means there will be no more titans.

You could crunch it down to three chapters but I struggle to think that it wouldn't feel rushed. I'm crossing my fingers for four.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I know we're working on manga logic here, but if Eren/Ymir win and crush every plant and land based creature in the world, there wont be much of a future for eren jr

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Eren Jr. is just an extra tiny titan Ymir made out of sand.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

What do you guys think the best fight in the series was? I think the best drama comes in the Marley and War for Paradis arcs, but I think the Battle of Shiganshina still might be the best battle overall.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
The first Levi vs Zeke is probably my favorite singular "battle" - it was insanely hype to see Marley's most talented prodigy get owned by Levi in a way that was both methodical and ruthlessly savage. The flashbacks to Reiner and Berthold warning Zeke and Zeke not quite getting it just added to the whole spectacle.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation

Beefstew posted:

What do you guys think the best fight in the series was? I think the best drama comes in the Marley and War for Paradis arcs, but I think the Battle of Shiganshina still might be the best battle overall.

Zeke's escape from the forest was peak Levi, but I'll give it to the second battle at Shiganshina since it did a great job conveying the desperate struggle of everyone involved.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Eustace posted:

I know we're working on manga logic here, but if Eren/Ymir win and crush every plant and land based creature in the world, there wont be much of a future for eren jr

They left Paradis without devastating the landscape so there's that. How they did it is a head scratcher. They must have left the island in single file formation :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
They left on their tippy toes.