Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
When talking about shock and the human body it's important to note that volts and amps are not the whole story. The amount of current is hugely important. Your body has a certain level of capacitance and internal resistance and all kinds of complication that make it not an idealized electrical conductor, especially in terms of stopping the heart. You can get hit with a level of voltage and amperage that would absolutely kill you, but for a short enough period that it is completely safe. Static shocks are the classic example, the peak current is often a number that would almost certainly kill you if sustained for longer than an extremely brief time.

This is why electric fences are safe too. Nobody wants dead cows, goats, whatever, and they certainly don't want a dead human. Maybe don't go touching random fences in Africa that are meant to stop elephants, but the average electrical fence you see is 100% not going to kill you, even if the amperage number seems kinda borderline when you look at it. They are very specifically engineered to NOT kill you.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Always touch anything that could possibly be live with the back of your hand so that if you muscle spasm you won't grab it tighter

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I remember hearing a "cautionary tale / brag" that kids would bunch their legs up in a crouch either side of the electrical socket, then jam something in. The spasms would lock their legs straight and they'd shoot across the floor.

Probably not true, but lol at whatever idiot uncle told me that when i was 7. Super cool thing to tell a kid.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Speaking of shock, YouTube recommended me JayzTwoCents static shock video after watching the Linus Electroboom one. My God, how does he live like that.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

I remember hearing a "cautionary tale / brag" that kids would bunch their legs up in a crouch either side of the electrical socket, then jam something in. The spasms would lock their legs straight and they'd shoot across the floor.

Probably not true, but lol at whatever idiot uncle told me that when i was 7. Super cool thing to tell a kid.

I stuck a hair pin into an outlet when I was like 8 and it turned my finger tips yellow. Then my dad called me and idiot and we took a nap.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Constellation I posted:

Speaking of shock, YouTube recommended me JayzTwoCents static shock video after watching the Linus Electroboom one. My God, how does he live like that.
Is there a safe way to make a shock toy with static electricity? Is that the same principle that the glass lightning globes use? I would love to know to make something like that, but strong enough that you can actually feel it.

I watched Big Clive's video since I think he is insane but also extremely smart. I think Electroboom is also insane and most likely smart too, but you can't always tell if he is pretending to be dumb or not. That said, the one thing that surprised me the most about Clive's shocker was the size the fact that he plugged it into mains electricity. He sorta kinda insisted it was safe, I think the phrase he used was "this won't kill me but it's extremely dangerous". I am user the impression a 9v battery could be used and be much safer, supposedly you can taste the power if you lick the terminals of a 9v but I've never been brave/foolish enough to try it.

Romes128 posted:

I stuck a hair pin into an outlet when I was like 8 and it turned my finger tips yellow. Then my dad called me and idiot and we took a nap.
My sister tried to hang up a picture on the wall using ab safety pin and an electrical outlet.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Go lick a telephone cord that is plugged into a live outlet. Bout 50+ Ac volts on the tounge. Make a 9v seem like nothing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VostokProgram posted:

Always touch anything that could possibly be live with the back of your hand so that if you muscle spasm you won't grab it tighter

When working on tube amps(guitar kinds) generally you only probe with one hand and leave the other behind your back. The tubes can get 400-500v going on.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

redeyes posted:

When working on tube amps(guitar kinds) generally you only probe with one hand and leave the other behind your back. The tubes can get 400-500v going on.

Yeah while wearing rubber soled shoes too. You want as much resistance between you and the ground as you can get

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

redeyes posted:

Go lick a telephone cord that is plugged into a live outlet. Bout 50+ Ac volts on the tounge. Make a 9v seem like nothing.

One of my POE powered APs wasn't booting, I gave the cat cable a quick tounge test to see if the POE switch was powering it - ouch 48 volts DC isn't pleasant. Don't know why I thought this would be a good idea... 802.3at hurts.

Deathreaper fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 27, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s always funny to me how engineers in several countries have rings made of conductive material (“iron”, but actually steel) on the pinkie finger, so very exposed.

I know a guy who got zapped by the 96v ringing voltage on a SONET backplane, after that he stopped wearing the ring :haw:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

priznat posted:

It’s always funny to me how engineers in several countries have rings made of conductive material (“iron”, but actually steel) on the pinkie finger, so very exposed.

I know a guy who got zapped by the 96v ringing voltage on a SONET backplane, after that he stopped wearing the ring :haw:

It's literally to remind us that we can be idiots too... mission accomplished?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

It's literally to remind us that we can be idiots too... mission accomplished?

No argument here!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

redeyes posted:

Telephone with a cord? And why would you plug it into an electrical outlet?

(Mostly kidding. Of course I have installed an illegal phone extension and been shocked from someone calling the house at the right time since there is no way to isolate the line. But since POTS is basically dead it would be hard to lick one now.)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Gaming Jesus smites the chair money changers.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Not Wolverine posted:

Is there a safe way to make a shock toy with static electricity? Is that the same principle that the glass lightning globes use? I would love to know to make something like that, but strong enough that you can actually feel it.

Google "violet wand"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Weirdly the exception to this is that herman miller/logitech gaming chair which is actually less expensive than the regular office version of the same chair (still $1500 tho, lol)

But so much of the gaming furniture stuff is such garbage. Best option will always be scoring a good quality herman miller or steelcase from a bankruptcy sale.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

So basically there's no such thing as a great chair, even if you spend $1200.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

There are great chairs but keep in mind every one is different and what works for you won't work for someone else. I try to pick up Steelcase Leap v2 chairs on Kijiji for about $350CAD used whenever I need one for home or office. They're great chairs and there always seems to be used ones around.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lol at their blindfolded crew all saying the Aeron feels like a cheap knockoff of an expensive chair

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

priznat posted:

Weirdly the exception to this is that herman miller/logitech gaming chair which is actually less expensive than the regular office version of the same chair (still $1500 tho, lol)

But so much of the gaming furniture stuff is such garbage. Best option will always be scoring a good quality herman miller or steelcase from a bankruptcy sale.

I wanted to like the Embody so bad because of it's looks. But when I tried it out, it was just a creaky mess and the arm rest design felt like a step in the wrong direction. Granted this was at a fancy furniture store and not a dedicated Herman Miller shop so it was probably a bad store model. But still, could be indicative of the chair after more use.

I'm still on a used Steelcase Aimia which is like a baby Leap. Hoping to upgrade to a fancier Leap or Aeron sometime.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I'd quite like a Silq but would have to try it out

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I had to replace my chair recently and the #1 thing I looked for were very padded armrests. I don't know how anyone can stand the very thin hard ones most chairs have.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm amazed anyone picks a chair on anything but the dual requirements of won't wreck your back and won't make your butt sweat.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

I need to get a new chair soon and I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and get a really nice one, spending a bunch of money on a chair will probably always feel weird to me but also ow my back

(I recognise that those last two points are probably connected)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh no, I have a Maxnomic chair. It'd relatively comforable, tho.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Get refurbished HM or Steelcase chairs from liquidators. They'll be around or even below the cost of the gaming :rice: nonsense, will easily outlast them, and help maintain good posture. Plus most are available in mesh versions to keep your goon assess cool.

I watched the GN video this morning after waking up way too early for some reason. As Steve said, the blindfold tests are fun but not really meaningful. IMO there are a few things to keep in mind:
  • People are different so if someone says they don't find a chair comfortable, it doesn't mean you won't either
  • There are tons of adjustments so you need to find the best one, the initial impression might not really representative
  • What might feel comfortable initially, won't necessarily be after 8 hours, or be good for your posture long-term
  • The height and shape of your table, the position of the keyboard and monitors also play a huge role
  • I find the headrest to be also very important especially if I'm reclining a lot

I got a Steelcase Think earlier this year when it became clear we'll be WFH for the foreseeable future. It took me a week or maybe two to find the settings that work for me, and now I really like it. I might try replacing it with a Leap V2 if they show up, but I haven't seen them locally yet.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Get refurbished HM or Steelcase chairs from liquidators. They'll be around or even below the cost of the gaming :rice: nonsense, will easily outlast them, and help maintain good posture. Plus most are available in mesh versions to keep your goon assess cool.

I watched the GN video this morning after waking up way too early for some reason. As Steve said, the blindfold tests are fun but not really meaningful. IMO there are a few things to keep in mind:
  • People are different so if someone says they don't find a chair comfortable, it doesn't mean you won't either
  • There are tons of adjustments so you need to find the best one, the initial impression might not really representative
  • What might feel comfortable initially, won't necessarily be after 8 hours, or be good for your posture long-term
  • The height and shape of your table, the position of the keyboard and monitors also play a huge role
  • I find the headrest to be also very important especially if I'm reclining a lot

I got a Steelcase Think earlier this year when it became clear we'll be WFH for the foreseeable future. It took me a week or maybe two to find the settings that work for me, and now I really like it. I might try replacing it with a Leap V2 if they show up, but I haven't seen them locally yet.

Any suggestions how to find these? I’m in NYC and I feel like I can never find any when there should be tons.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Any suggestions how to find these? I’m in NYC and I feel like I can never find any when there should be tons.

I found a HM Mira 2 for like 200 bucks on Craigslist.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Nope, sorry, not from NYC or even US.

Craigslist is probably a good idea, though I personally haven't seen anything on our local equivalent. Maybe search for cheap office furniture stores, that's how I found this place that had like hundreds of these Think chairs.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Former Human posted:

So basically there's no such thing as a great chair, even if you spend $1200.

The Aerons are pretty great chairs, but it's not immediately obvious. I think people expect to sit in one and somehow their life is transformed, but it's honestly not that amazing when you just sit on it. The real selling point of the aeron is that you can sit it in all day comfortably in pretty much any reasonable position and it's really durable. Those are hard boxes to check and gaming chairs definitely fail.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

My chair journey has been: Aeron -> Leap V2 -> Mirra 2

Mirra 2 is by far the best chair I've owned. If it had the Leap V2's arm rests, it couldn't get any more perfect. Aeron was easily the weakest.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hmm I also went from Aeron to Steelcase Leap. I've been using it for 9 years now and the height adjust is starting to get finnicky so I'm starting to look at others.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I had a leap v2 at a job and it was a nice chair. I couldn’t find one cheap enough at an office liquidator when I moved to Utah and started working from home so I bought a used Aeron and I’ve had it for 4 and a half years now and it’s still great. Instead of a chair that instantly makes you few comfortable, it trains you to sit properly and was actually uncomfortable when I first got it, but I stuck with it for a few days and then it “clicked”. Now I can sit in it for hours at a time and have a generally better back because of it. I wouldn’t pay $1200 for one though (mine was $230)

Edit: if I had one gripe about the chair is that since it’s mesh it doesn’t reflect my body heat back at me so after a while I get a bit cold. But then I just put on a jacket.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 1, 2021

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Leap V2 was a fantastic chair for about two years.

Unfortunately it had too many QC issues. I bought it refurbished but after a couple of years the cushion had almost completely flattened and the frame on one side of the chair slumped noticeably. I've had the Mirra 2 since 2015 and it's still in perfect condition. I don't think I could go back to cushioned chairs.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
One thing that video showed me that you got a big dude in a wrong sized Aeron. Hm makes those in 3 sizes / weight classes from a to c . C sizes are heavy duty And built to handle really goony framed computer guys.

Easy to repair and get parts for I got 3 at home now and been using them for 20 years.

The only time I saw gamer chairs at work was at the PC Bang at Riot games when I worked there and the e sports on camera areas I guess due to some sponsorship. The people who make the games are on aerons. My current job the studio lets us purchase any chair we wanted for the most part mostly aerons and steel cases but I saw a few of those newer Herman Miller Mirra 2 chairs ...

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 1, 2021

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I’m in the market for a chair and have found an alright deal on a leapv2. Anything i should look out for when buying?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just make sure all the adjustments work. Height, back angle, arm height, and the arms should be able to swing out too. And the seat should be able to move forward and back too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Hmm I also went from Aeron to Steelcase Leap. I've been using it for 9 years now and the height adjust is starting to get finnicky so I'm starting to look at others.
Aren't warranties like 10 or 15 years on them? Unless you got a used one of course. Then you might also just get a new gas cylinder for like $40: https://www.steelcasechairparts.com/shop/chairs/steelcase-leap-chair/steelcase-leap-chair-gas-cylinder/

Wild EEPROM posted:

I’m in the market for a chair and have found an alright deal on a leapv2. Anything i should look out for when buying?
Can you sit in it first? That'd be best imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Take the chair talk to the actual chair thread, the Disappointment PC of 2020 is out https://youtu.be/hGnBI0rDgA4