Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Not too pumped to face Snell on a regular basis for the foreseeable future.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Padres fans, are those slapdick prospects?

Mejia came over from the (team as of now still named the) Indians as a blue chip prospect in the Brad Hand trade, but hasn't really done much. Probably a "change of scenery" guy. Patino, Wilcox and Hunt are numbers 3, 7 and 14, respectively, in the Padres system, and Patino is number 22 overall (both from the MLB list). Hard not to have faith in the Rays' scouting department, but then again they did kind of get raked over the coals the last time they traded with Preller.

In any case, massive get for the Padres.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Rays being seen as the ideal for all franchises just turns me off the sport so much. I know we all root for the laundry, but this poo poo only works if there are players you care about.

Why bother caring about the prospects coming in if they’re going to be gone in three or four years when they might make a little bit of money? Why do we have to be constantly reminded about the business side of the sport that’s supremely unfair to the player and see it praised? gently caress the Rays

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The return is pretty good but Jesus Christ I hate the Rays

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Patino is very good

Wilcox was a 1st round pick this year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

The Rays being seen as the ideal for all franchises just turns me off the sport so much. I know we all root for the laundry, but this poo poo only works if there are players you care about.

Why bother caring about the prospects coming in if they’re going to be gone in three or four years when they might make a little bit of money? Why do we have to be constantly reminded about the business side of the sport that’s supremely unfair to the player and see it praised? gently caress the Rays

yeah they are a complete garbage and it really loving sucks that their poo poo is working and they are winning. It's horrible for the sport.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The Padres were so fun to watch this past season, especially in those gorgeous unis. Excited for them once the season starts in... June?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol I hate the Rays

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/tipping_pitches/status/1343416242032537605

:getin:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The return is pretty good but Jesus Christ I hate the Rays

:hmmyes:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I would like to know if the Angels even tried to get Snell

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Congrats to Snell

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Yeah but that last part doesn’t matter anymore because half the teams in the league will make the new expanded playoffs.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Trading with Tampa is always scary but I like this deal for the Padres. Would be nice if the Dodgers could gently caress off though

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they felt like they needed to trade Snell after he got pulled. Maybe they felt the relationship had soured too much. Not that I doubt the Rays are also just being huge cheapskates.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Winning the WS or coming close to winning and then turning around and trading away your best pitcher is an awful, terrible, no good look, so I'm sure ownership was very grateful to Cash for giving them wonderful PR cover for doing so with that early hook.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah but that last part doesn’t matter anymore because half the teams in the league will make the new expanded playoffs.
Don't worry the Padres have a great trackrecord against LA in the postseason, they lost the most competitive sweep I've ever seen.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 28, 2020

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I hope Mejia thrives for Tampa, but I fear he's going to just rot behind another catcher and get 2 starts a week.

Also that is a fantastic return for Tampa, I wonder what the Cubs were asking for for Darvish if that netted Snell.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC the quote was that the Cubs were asking for a "Babe Ruth" return for Darvish, and considering the priorities of the front office right now my guess is they would have drawn a line in the sand on Gore being included which presumably would have killed the trade.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Didn't Babe Ruth get traded for cash to fund a broadway play?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

I wonder if they felt like they needed to trade Snell after he got pulled. Maybe they felt the relationship had soured too much. Not that I doubt the Rays are also just being huge cheapskates.

Snell is on a really cheap deal though

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Popete posted:

I wonder if they felt like they needed to trade Snell after he got pulled. Maybe they felt the relationship had soured too much.

I suspect this played a part in it.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
i guess I'm gonna watch the Pirates lose 105 games next year and whiff on every prospect they trade for

:smith:

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
The return seems good for the Rays, but from a roster construction it makes no sense to me. You don't trade current value for future value when you are a world series contender. Either there is bad blood, or maybe they have some reason to believe he is about to decline nobody else noticed. Or the third and most likely option: The Rays have discovered a level beyond super cheap, which I call super cheap 2.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I hate my team's ownership so much, and I'm sure this trade will work out for the Rays. Only they can turn the thrill of making the World Series into "hey we now have all these high value players we can trade off for even more assets!" At the very least for the sake of everyone that hates this method, the Rays are probably not competing anywhere near the level they did last season with Morton and Snell gone.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Strasburgs UCL posted:

The return seems good for the Rays, but from a roster construction it makes no sense to me. You don't trade current value for future value when you are a world series contender. Either there is bad blood, or maybe they have some reason to believe he is about to decline nobody else noticed. Or the third and most likely option: The Rays have discovered a level beyond super cheap, which I call super cheap 2.

Too bad for them Bob Nutting has already gone further beyond to super cheap 3.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

They sent Snell to the Padres just so he can get pulled against the Dodgers for no reason even more.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Same old Rays but this will probably work out in some way or another for them too

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Sydin posted:

IIRC the quote was that the Cubs were asking for a "Babe Ruth" return for Darvish, and considering the priorities of the front office right now my guess is they would have drawn a line in the sand on Gore being included which presumably would have killed the trade.

Did the Cubs’ owner lose his shirt investing in the Starlight Express revival or something?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1343616195149193218

Still could happen!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the gently caress

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What prospects would the Padres even have left to make it worth while? Unless the Ricketts are looking to dump payroll, which is probably the case.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'd imagine they start with Abrams and go from there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The fathers aren't loving around.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Good to see them really going for it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

What prospects would the Padres even have left to make it worth while? Unless the Ricketts are looking to dump payroll, which is probably the case.
Gore, but I get the feeling the Cubs are looking to dump salary and not that motivated to extract the best prospect haul

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1343616195149193218
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1343624815735926785

:suspense:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Yeah, they're rebuilding.

We should have gotten more out of this core, but I guess the Ricketts need to give more money to regressives.

We're selling as high as we can on him, so we better get a worthy return.

I assume the Padres have a good farm system?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Darvish/Contreras would have to be a massive haul. It would be insane to dump them just for salary relief right now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That should absolutely cost SD Gore but it's the Ricketts so I am sure it won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1343633741843820544?s=21