Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they should go back to stanning bob sapp and kiefer sutherland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
These rally are organized by Falun gong. I think at some point people will realize Falun Gong is a cultier cult than Scientology.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

stephenthinkpad posted:

These rally are organized by Falun gong. I think at some point people will realize Falun Gong is a cultier cult than Scientology.

Got any good resources about them handy? I am interested in some good old fashioned horror stories.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thats a sick communism scarf

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the work load of being a mayor and doing a bachelors in math probably sucks. good luck to her

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
id like to go to a rally to restore sanity hosted by the falun gong

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lol aliens. why doesn't the CIA just encourage everyone to be buddhist priest and renounce material possessions

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rutibex posted:

lol aliens. why doesn't the CIA just encourage everyone to be buddhist priest and renounce material possessions

There'll be egg on your face when aliens show up. They're already talking to Israel, didn't you see the news earlier? ;)

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I used to call them the Moon God people but then I recently learnt that I confused them for the Korean cult that owned the Washington Times

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I used to call them the Moon God people but then I recently learnt that I confused them for the Korean cult that owned the Washington Times

'Moon God' reminds me of the Chick Tract, personally.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I heard stories from friends that The Epoch Times completely pulled out of advertising and distribution in their towns after Trump clearly lost.

It’s all a grift.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

imo it's closer to Black Hebrew Israelites

Li Hongzhi, founder posted:

"The way alien beings get human beings to shake free of the gods is to mix the races, causing human beings to become rootless people, just like the plant hybrids people make nowadays. South Americans, Central Americans, Mexicans and some people in South East Asia—all of these races have been mixed. None of this can evade the gods’ eyes. Alien beings have made rather extensive preparations for overtaking human beings."

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Is it just kooky beliefs, or does it share the other aspects of Scientology like slavery and abuse?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

does it share the other aspects of Scientology like slavery and abuse?

yes

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

is it solely because Scientology caters to the rich?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I mean they have a 400 acre compound and routinely bring people to the US on work visas

what do you think

e: the South Korean cult are called Moonies, right?

wolfs has issued a correction as of 05:57 on Dec 28, 2020

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

wolfs posted:

e: the South Korean cult are called Moonies, right?

one of them is! had to make this distinction when a close friend joined a different South Korean cult (World Mission Society Church of God)

Unification Church are the Moonies

Protagorean has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Dec 28, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
we all know who the "best" christian cult is tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o-uM4V3Sdo&t=1361s

Goast has issued a correction as of 07:06 on Dec 28, 2020

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

is there a system of major cults with government ties in all of the more globalized Asian countries?

is this the result of the Cold War and liberalism atomizing societies

like, broad strokes: IS and their various branches is when the cult goes hot and stays hot

but Aum Shinrikyo/Falun Gong/the Moonies & co just simmer with the occasional flare up — thinking of the sarin gas attacks and that business with the South Korean president a few years ago as examples

...is there a cult secretly running Vietnam, for instance?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i wouldnt describe falun gong as having "government ties"

kind of the opposite, actually

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Varinn posted:

i wouldnt describe falun gong as having "government ties"

kind of the opposite, actually

its literally cia lmao

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Goast posted:

its literally cia lmao

yes but thats not what the poster right above me was saying

wolfs posted:

is there a system of major cults with government ties in all of the more globalized Asian countries?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

wolfs posted:

like, broad strokes: IS and their various branches is when the cult goes hot and stays hot

but Aum Shinrikyo/Falun Gong/the Moonies & co just simmer with the occasional flare up — thinking of the sarin gas attacks and that business with the South Korean president a few years ago as examples

pass the bong dude

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

is Vietnam inoculated against cults because of the great spirit of Ho Chi Minh

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Ardennes posted:

I would say it depends on the Russian historian you are talking about. In recent years, most of Russian academia has been nearly hollowed out by declining budgets. There is Khlevniuk but I got my opinions.

Try Егор Николаевич Яковлев.

https://www.livelib.ru/author/1190500/top-egor-yakovlev

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

wolfs posted:

This is literally just what religion is.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Protagorean posted:

pass the bong dude

gimme some of that opiate of the masses

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx3mQftSMSo&t=52s

It was interesting but I wonder if it is all accurate or if the narrator is just posing as an "expert".

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is a religion in Vietnam called Caodaism that workships a lot of saints from Christanity, Confucianism, Daoism and more modern thought leaders like Vemictor Hugo and Sub Yat Sen. But it's constitutionalized and just a normal religion.

Goast posted:

we all know who the "best" christian cult is tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o-uM4V3Sdo&t=1361s

Holy poo poo! It's that meme gif!

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 10:24 on Dec 28, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx3mQftSMSo&t=52s

It was interesting but I wonder if it is all accurate or if the narrator is just posing as an "expert".

The entire premise that Japan is significantly more “lonely” than elsewhere is questionable. The dude is also definitely not an “expert”.

What it is is a video essay about a subject that is almost guaranteed to get views, and that should color your interpretation of it.

That doesn’t mean that Japanese society has no problems or that there isn’t some salient points/data in there, but you should ask yourself if you couldn’t make almost the same video essay about literally any industrialized nation (you could) and if this isn’t just essentially cashing in on the very in-vogue otherization and fetishization of Japan by the west (it is).

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
To his credit, he includes a link to his notes/sources.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fPScJOFg42OyLm0BTdfiJTLKDoDX9velmr8L7NXSAvU/mobilebasic

Guess what; they’re mostly garbage and YouTube videos and gently caress all for anything academic or in-depth or not generally being sensationalistic dreck. It’s basically a digest of various bullshit assembled by someone who knows literally nothing among the language or culture, set to moonlight sonata so you feel sad.

You know how this very thread often mocks China coverage for “experts” lacking cultural and language knowledge? Japan is that except generally popular enough that a shitton of *even worse* amateurs also shoot their shot at deciphering the mysterious orient, and get far more attention than they deserve because Japan and its culture and media has such soft power that a video just being about Japan will bring in fuckloads of views on YouTube et al.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The funniest part is those people often have lived in Japan for a long time but still believe it's like some weird magic land instead of just normal people going about their lives like any other Western country.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The funniest part is those people often have lived in Japan for a long time but still believe it's like some weird magic land instead of just normal people going about their lives like any other Western country.

it's because japan is western enough that nothing is so strange that it's uncomfortable but is still different enough to be novel

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think the phenomenon of expats living in an eastern countries being ignorant to the host country is fairly common. But you can make a case that the Japanese go an extra mile to pander to the US culture (things like going to KFC to celebrate Christmas etc) which make the expats more comfortable.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think the phenomenon of expats living in an eastern countries being ignorant to the host country is fairly common. But you can make a case that the Japanese go an extra mile to pander to the US culture (things like going to KFC to celebrate Christmas etc) which make the expats more comfortable.

Very much disagree with that last part, and Japan is frequently rated as less/the least comfortable for expats inn Asia by drat near every survey. Japan also doesn’t pander to western cultures to make them comfortable worth a drat (also KFC for Christmas? Literally not a thing in the west and looked upon with confusion by anyone not familiar with Japan so no idea why you’ve chosen that example; it was a clever and crazily successful marketing tactic specifically for Japan ).

There’s a certain cachet to some western stuff in Japan, just like there’s cachet to things from other cultures everywhere (be it english pubs, French wine, Italian cars and suits etc etc) but that’s essentially entirely for domestic consumption and by and large anywhere it happens to make expats comfortable is more coincidental. This is not to say there aren’t some smaller businesses etc. that specifically to expat needs but as a cultural or writ large Japan doesn’t cater specifically to expats worth a gently caress, and only very recently is this significantly shifting because tourism to Japan increased literally 600% or so in the last 8 years I think? It’s a lot and fast at any rate.

Japan is economically powerful and frankly doesn’t need to cater to expats worth poo poo compared to places like Singapore (1/3rd of the pop being foreign and a notable part of that being wealthy expats), Hong Kong (huge finance industry and access point to mainland manufacturing, at least in the past, though now changing), Thailand (huge portion of GDP from tourism), etc.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Very much disagree with that last part, and Japan is frequently rated as less/the least comfortable for expats inn Asia by drat near every survey.

may we see some of these surveys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well I have never been to Japan so I can't argue with you, I am just going by 2nd hand impression. But I am talking about the Japanese "thing" of going to KFC in Christmas, and celebrate Valentine's Day in their own Japanese way. I call these little gestures "pandering to the western culture". I don't know what else do call them. I can list alot of other things such as baseball and pro wrestling, etc.

China doesn't do that. However HKer has a habit of doing the same thing, so I say HK is friendlier to expats for the similar reasons.