Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Edge of Extinction was 15/18 white. All three minorities voted out in the first 7 votes.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seems to be a CBS Reality Show move in general more than a Survivor one. And I gotta think Big Brother has something to do with that because they've had some horrific results the last few seasons where all the POC were just systematically picked off one after another, gaslit against each other, and taking tons of ugly treatment their whole time. BB21 was so ugly and terrible that the finale night became all about the host calling out the winner and his allies for racism, misogyny, and bullying, and then they did All Stars for BB22 to try and right the ship and not only did all that poo poo continue but fans have mostly called it the worst season ever. Something had to break.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
These are VERY VERY broad categories. And some guesswork had to be done which I did not care for at all.

For season 40, Natalie might have gotten second place, but she was voted out first.

Look at the first half of the last 10 seasons. Or that the first voted out in the last 20 second seasons is a minority half the time.

But don't live or die by the charts. Just read the experiences of minority players and imagine what it's like to be treated as the "other" in a game where you're removed for not fitting in.

Julia Carter (season 38) Push Me to the Edge: My Survivor Experience

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Excited for more race war seasons

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

then they did All Stars for BB22 to try and right the ship and not only did all that poo poo continue but fans have mostly called it the worst season ever. Something had to break.

Glad to hear I made the right choice bailing on the season two weeks in. I was so hype to follow the feeds and sink a ton of quarantine time into the show too. :sigh:

nexous posted:

Excited for more race war seasons

Yeah, feeling like this is about to happen again. But maybe we’ll be surprised and they just treat PoC like people?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gonna end up just being a bunch of Asians on Survivor next season and call it racially diverse :smug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yul is auctioning some of his old survivor gear for Compassion Care ALS

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

Edge of Extinction was 15/18 white. All three minorities voted out in the first 7 votes.

Julia at least was the 9th voted out, she made it mid-merge.

Also they're vaguely white passing but Chris Underwood is Latino and Wardog is of Portuguese descent. Not denying that that season was pretty white, but it's not as bad as it seemed on first glance, though it is a little lopsided that Julia was the only minority on her tribe.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Gonna end up just being a bunch of Asians on Survivor next season and call it racially diverse :smug:

I'm at least hoping for more personality diversity. The most recognizable Asian guys are still only Yul and Tai?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm at least hoping for more personality diversity. The most recognizable Asian guys are still only Yul and Tai?

Ken Hoang from Gabon (the pro gamer), Yau-Man, and Woo all come to mind.

Kinda ashamed I forgot Cao Boi till I googled.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually not a fan of Cao Boi, though I'm aware I'm in the minority. He has a lot of antiquated opinions on Asians and I know way too many Cao Bois to respond to them positively.

I guess it's also that aside from Woo and Tai (and Woo was over 10 seasons ago), most of them are early on in the show's running.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

how soon we forget the sushi chef whose name i can't remember

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Yul is still the best.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Who could ever forget Becky from cook islands, who made it to the final 3 with her compelling story and huge character? Or Edna who was the embodiment of evil according to her tribe, for wanting to stay in the game? Or So Kim from worlds apart who was a person on Survivor?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

As someone married to a Portuguese person, Portuguese people are white lol

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’ll never forget Becky’s victory over Sundra in the firemaking challenge lmao.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SweetJahasus posted:

Who could ever forget Becky from cook islands, who made it to the final 3 with her compelling story and huge character? Or Edna who was the embodiment of evil according to her tribe, for wanting to stay in the game? Or So Kim from worlds apart who was a person on Survivor?

A&O specified guys or I definitely would have included early season stars Peih-Gee and Shii-Ann.

I think it’s again time for me to repost MTV’s Rumble In The Jungle Survivor Amazon preview show starring Shii-Ann and the legendary Robb Z, master of the choke slam and bringer of a skateboard to a beach.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQ36WsW6O0

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
In case it wasn't clear, I was more being sarcastic about those 3 being very forgettable characters and me having to sperg out to remember them.

In other news, survivor being on Netflix is great, and is giving me a reason to rewatch a couple top tier seasons while the world burns around me!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

SweetJahasus posted:

In case it wasn't clear, I was more being sarcastic about those 3 being very forgettable characters and me having to sperg out to remember them.

In other news, survivor being on Netflix is great, and is giving me a reason to rewatch a couple top tier seasons while the world burns around me!

I put on the first episode of Cagayan last weekend and ended up rewatching all of it + HvV in two days as a result.

I want J'Tia on another season, please.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Murmur Twin posted:

I want J'Tia on another season, please.

I will say every time this comes up that Kass' husband couldn't make the family visit for Cambodia, and if Kass had survived ONE more vote then J'Tia would have graced survivor again

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

No Frosti fans?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I haven't checked in on this thread in years. As with many people, early in quarantine I "rewatched" Survivor on Hulu. I put rewatched in quotes because I started with All-Stars, and skipped seasons I remembered as being boring, like mostly everything between Heroes vs Villains and Cagayan. I also watched Gen X vs Millenials and Second Chances for the first time as I didn't have CBS on my cable package at the time.

Quarantine has gone on long enough that I've run out of things to watch, and when I got an offer to have a free month of CBS All Access, I decided to actually rewatch Survivor from season 1 for the first time in like 15 years. I've been surprised at a number of things that I've noticed, and I wanted to share them.

1) They were really all about typecasting for the first few seasons, especially after how popular Colleen was after season 1. It's actually kind of annoying how they kept on trying to force a sweetheart type for the first few seasons after. We got loving Elizabeth Hasselback and Neleh. I did actually really like Kim P in Africa though.

2) The soundtrack has been set for so long that I forgot how much they experimented the first few seasons. They used a lot of bad techno, the faux tribal music was used to a minimum.

3) I seem to remember that people didn't really strategize a whole lot until later in the series, and that the Pagonging of season 1 was just a bunch of idiots not seeing what was coming. So I was surprised to see that people picked up on the whole alliance thing pretty early on and actually did try and organize against it.

4) Australia has not aged well at all. Colby, the golden boy of the season who I loved, was actually a loving dick. Jerri wasn't as evil as I remembered her being, I actually quite liked her this time around. They voted out anyone interesting, and by the end we were left with what I dubbed this time around the "aw shucks" alliance, just people with a bunch of faux humility who were obnoxiously self-righteous, and even worse, boring. I did not remember Keith at all, so I was shocked to see that he made it to the final 3.

5) Season 1, I was shocked at how freely Sean said the slur f*g, and how in early seasons, homophobes were played for laughs (i.e. Frank). Despite Richard winning, the homophobia was very real. In season 4, it felt very gross when John and Boston Rob got into a big argument, and at the end of the argument, out of nowhere, Rob asked John, "Are you gay?" And when John confirms that he is, Rob just kind of chuckles and rolls his eyes.

6) I enjoyed the focus on camp life that we don't see too much these days since it's now strategizing 24/7. I totally understand the stories you hear of people leaving the show in recent years and basically having mental breakdowns and being unable to trust anyone after.

7) The challenge budgets were a lot smaller. Lots of trivia challenges. Instead of picking someone to go on a reward challenge, Jeff Probst was your companion. It was awkward.

8) Marquesas loving holds up, and Kathy Vavrick O'Brien is still a queen.

9) The water situation in Africa was gross.

10) And finally, not an observation, but I learned that season 4 was apparently planned to be filmed in Jordan, and it was going to be called Survivor Arabia, but then 9/11 happened. I completely forgot that Clinton was president during the first two seasons.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Lone Goat posted:

how soon we forget the sushi chef whose name i can't remember

It was Timothy Olyphant OP

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Nihonniboku posted:

7) The challenge budgets were a lot smaller. Lots of trivia challenges. Instead of picking someone to go on a reward challenge, Jeff Probst was your companion. It was awkward.

Yeah I think I remember Colby and Jeff going to camp with the Australian cowboys or whatever, it was weird as hell

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I would probably rather hang out with Jeff than any of my relatives tbh

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The tidbit that a lot of casual viewers don't know about Borneo is that for the 'Survivor bar' reward the original prize was one (1) can of beer and the players all went 'uh no that's not worth playing for' so the producers scrambled to put together something.

Hmm I wonder if that has any reason why Probst now goes 'I know it's worth playing for' now as if daring his puny player peons to object.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The tidbit that a lot of casual viewers don't know about Borneo is that for the 'Survivor bar' reward the original prize was one (1) can of beer and the players all went 'uh no that's not worth playing for' so the producers scrambled to put together something.

Hmm I wonder if that has any reason why Probst now goes 'I know it's worth playing for' now as if daring his puny player peons to object.

I love trivia like this. I was reading on reddit yesterday, apparently Elisabeth Hasselback (ugh) was asked to participate in All-Stars but she had just started her controversial turn on The View. Colleen was asked, but she turned it down because she wanted to move on from Survivor in her life. Gervaise and Sean Rector were alternates to participate, but obviously didn't make the final cut.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you're a douche in the game, you're a douche in real life.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/12/22/survivor-villain-jonny-fairplay-arrested-larceny-mother/

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Edit: Possibly expired deal.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 4, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey, that worked! Thanks!

Guess I'm watching The Stand!

edit: I oddly briefly worked for Sportsline a long time ago. Heh.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

Hey, that worked! Thanks!

Guess I'm watching The Stand!

edit: I oddly briefly worked for Sportsline a long time ago. Heh.

Glad it helped! I’ve been thinking of doing a Deep Space Nine rewatch lately so this deal makes it nice and simple.

Unfortunately I just realized you now have the feeds for next year. I’m sorry STAC. :doh:

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I haven't been on here for a while, but I don't see it mentioned here... Russell Hantz was on Catfish last week, because his boy Michael (Cowboy) from BB was getting catfished. James Zinkand (BB9) and James Huling (BB17 and BB18) also got involved, she was talking to everyone. :blindside:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BGrifter posted:

Wasn’t really sure where best to post this but most of the Big Brother regulars also read the Survivor thread so it seemed like this was as good a place as any.

There’s a crazy deal on that works out to 15 months of CBS US All-Access for $9.99 USD. If you’re in Canada it requires a VPN to sign up and to access All-Access, but it takes Canadian credit cards. Same VPN trickery as is required to view the Big Brother live feeds.

You sign up for Sportsline, some sort of CBS owned gambling advice site from what I gather? A one year membership is $9.99 USD with promo code PLAYOFF. Once you’re done you link it to your CBS All-Access account using the second link.

Sportsline:
https://www.sportsline.com/join/

Link to CBS All-Access:
https://cbs.com/sportsline

After you sign up if you go to cancel Sportsline they offer you a bonus three months to not cancel, meaning your sub will run through March of 2022.

:10bux: for 15 months access to unlimited Survivor and Big Brother streaming feels like a steal. Signed up and after a little messing around with a US iTunes account I’m watching BB10e1 now on my iPad.

Source with way more details:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/cbs-15-months-commercial-free-cbs-all-access-25-us-now-10-vpn-smart-dns-required-2431271/

Hmm. I'm coming up on the end of my free month of CBS All Access. I have 0 desire for a sports streaming service, but if I can get another 15 months of CBS for $20, I might need to do it

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

BGrifter posted:

Unfortunately I just realized you now have the feeds for next year. I’m sorry STAC. :doh:

Mission accomplished :cheerdoge:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's summer me's problem. At the rate time moves these days I can't even imagine that far out.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Nihonniboku posted:

4) Australia has not aged well at all. Colby, the golden boy of the season who I loved, was actually a loving dick. Jerri wasn't as evil as I remembered her being, I actually quite liked her this time around. They voted out anyone interesting, and by the end we were left with what I dubbed this time around the "aw shucks" alliance, just people with a bunch of faux humility who were obnoxiously self-righteous, and even worse, boring. I did not remember Keith at all, so I was shocked to see that he made it to the final 3.

This is one of the worst seasons mostly because most of the strategy talk happened unfilmed on the ride to Tribal Council thanks to Tina, which is why a lot of the episodes feel disjointed.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Interesting. I wonder if that is why they banned talking in later seasons. That has to be so nerve wracking driving in total silence to and from tribal council.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Stokes posted:

This is one of the worst seasons mostly because most of the strategy talk happened unfilmed on the ride to Tribal Council thanks to Tina, which is why a lot of the episodes feel disjointed.

I wonder how you talk strategy if everyone is in an enclosed space in a van.

Also, I read on reddit today that apparently in Cagayan, Kass and Tasha wanted to vote out Spencer over J'Tia, and Jeff held tribal council for many hours until they agreed to vote out J'Tia. I remember the HvV tribal where Jeff chastised everyone for voting out Rob, but I had no idea he would actually keep everyone there until he got his way.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Nihonniboku posted:

Also, I read on reddit today that apparently in Cagayan, Kass and Tasha wanted to vote out Spencer over J'Tia, and Jeff held tribal council for many hours until they agreed to vote out J'Tia. I remember the HvV tribal where Jeff chastised everyone for voting out Rob, but I had no idea he would actually keep everyone there until he got his way.

link to source?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousCat posted:

link to source?

It was a comment in a random thread. I was curious about the source myself, but nobody provided it. People in that subreddit listen to every podcast that any Survivor has ever appeared on and talk about things they hear like it's common knowledge. Apparently Jenna Lewis has a podcast, and in like episode 46 she revealed that Kelly Wigglesworth in season 1 was caught loving one of the cameramen in exchange for food, which is supposedly why she dominated the later challenges, and was the real reason why everyone was so angry at her at the finale.

Who knows if it's true, I feel like that would have come out a long time ago if it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems really odd. I guess I don't know much about the production side, but I can't imagine it would be too hard for a cameraman to have sex with someone else on the crew / at the resort instead of a dirty lady who hasn't showered in a couple weeks.