Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Just scrub the entire top of the battery/that side of it, or just where the cable connects?

All the exposed metal, so the battery post and the termanal ring thing

Disconnedt the battery before cleaning
Make sure your water/soda mix doesn't pool on the top of the battery and short itself between its posts ir something silly

simplefish fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Are all windshield wipers created equal or are there particular ones I should be buying, and how often should I get new ones? It rains really hard here very frequently and my current ones aren't doing the job anymore. No snow or ice to deal with.

2010 Nissan Xterra if that matters.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are all windshield wipers created equal or are there particular ones I should be buying, and how often should I get new ones? It rains really hard here very frequently and my current ones aren't doing the job anymore. No snow or ice to deal with.

Some are better than others, but the good ones are expensive and I find them not to be worth it. I just buy whatever Sams Club (Peak Optix branded) or Costco (Michelin branded) is selling for about 10 bucks and replace them as needed. It doesn't rain much where I am, but the heat and sun are really tough on wipers. Sometimes if my car is getting the oil changed at the dealer Ford will run a special on replacement blades for 19.99 installed, if so I'll have the dealer swap them.

You can splurge on a nice set of Bosch Icons or full silicone blades if you want to give them a try, but just replace them every 6 or 9 months with inexpensive blades.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Get yourself an application of Aquapel and then shrug at your wipers because they become water movers rather than removers.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3S8udUSKtY&t=10s

Not even close to equal.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The $2 ones from rock auto excel at getting rain off your window.

e: not sarcasm.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I've got a 73 Cutlass running 255/60R15 tires up front.

How would fitting shorter tires up front change the steering response or turn radius?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shouldn't be noticeable. The shorter sidewalls may translate more road impacts through to the suspension, but that may not be noticeable either.

I run 215/75 - 14s on my Bonneville because that's the largest tire I can find that's not Coker.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Not all equal, but you'll find they're much cheaper on Amazon vs a parts store. And even cheaper on Rockauto.

Get new ones when they streak or chatter.

KakerMix posted:

Get yourself an application of Aquapel and then shrug at your wipers because they become water movers rather than removers.

Also, this. Even RainX is a game changer, but Aquapel is much better. You don't even need the wipers with that stuff applied, it just beads up and rolls off.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Cowslips Warren posted:

3 years.

The tow truck guy asked to see under the hood, showed me how the negative battery cord was corroded, and loving cleaned it off for me. I didn't need a tow. I do need a loving kick in the head because I never cleaned it myself.

So need a new battery and a new cord. I can handle that.

For 19 years now I have kept a battery terminal/cable cleaning tool in my car kit and it has saved me many times. Turn the shitbox off, pump gas, turn the key, silence, clean terminals, start up and drive away. My dad gave the tool to me for my second car and I will keep it in my trunk until I buy a car without a traditional battery.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

MrKatharsis posted:

For 19 years now I have kept a battery terminal/cable cleaning tool in my car kit and it has saved me many times. Turn the shitbox off, pump gas, turn the key, silence, clean terminals, start up and drive away. My dad gave the tool to me for my second car and I will keep it in my trunk until I buy a car without a traditional battery.

Any certain brand I should get/avoid? is it safe to leave in the car when summer temps hit (ie, over 110 for me)?

New battery and cable and install was about $300. Could have been worse, and I still boggle at how the battery lasted for 3 years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I swear the wiper blades I get from Rockauto seem like they're old stock that's sat around too long and have started to harden from age. I've had new blades from there chatter right away. They're absurdly cheap to be fair.

I just get new ones from Costco once a year or so when they have whatever they're carrying on sale.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ugh the Costco goodyears are poo poo

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

get from Rockauto seem like they're old stock that's sat around too long

This is literally exactly what they are, because that is Rockautos business model. they buy up new old stock auto parts cheap, then sell them at below normal market rates. everything they sell has been sitting on the shelf for years.

which is fine for poo poo like 02 sensors or spark plugs or wheel bearings or gasket kits. Wipers not so much.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just get new ones from Costco once a year or so when they have whatever they're carrying on sale.
I know you and I both live in places that get Hot, and I’ve found that no matter the brand, nothing lasts more than a season.

It’s frustrating because we’ll get rain over maybe a 6 week period and then nothing for a year. The end result is that it just makes sense to buy whatever is cheap because it’s going to get used for about a month and then replaced.

Battery terminal cleaner tool chat:

They’re pretty interchangeable all metal tools. I got something identical to this at Autozone years ago:

Metal Battery Post and Terminal Cleaner https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002PS7QRK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_xZ55FbP9ZBVCD

... and would certainly leave it in a car at any temp.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Cowslips Warren posted:

Any certain brand I should get/avoid? is it safe to leave in the car when summer temps hit (ie, over 110 for me)?

New battery and cable and install was about $300. Could have been worse, and I still boggle at how the battery lasted for 3 years.

It's just a wire brush that looks like a vagina dentata fleshlight with another wire brush shaped like a little xmas tree. I have no idea of the brand, it's probably as old as me.

It won't get you out of needing a new battery though, it will just get you going again.

edit:

Yeah it's basically that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Lead acid batteries can be funny sometimes. I got 9 years out of the original battery in my Corolla, and when I got rid of it it was, according to the dealer's inspection thing at '75%'. That was through cold winters, hot summers, sitting and listening to the radio for long periods etc.. But some of the batteries from work equipment last a year or two. All theyre really doing is starting our machines and maybe running some lights every now and then.

I suppose the actual quality of the battery is a big factor too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Charles posted:

Ugh the Costco goodyears are poo poo

My Costco has had Michelin wipers for a while. Only problem with them was one of the two sizes the Canyon needs, didn't come with the adapter to fit the Canyon (and this seems to be on purpose).

Krakkles posted:

I know you and I both live in places that get Hot, and I’ve found that no matter the brand, nothing lasts more than a season.

It’s frustrating because we’ll get rain over maybe a 6 week period and then nothing for a year. The end result is that it just makes sense to buy whatever is cheap because it’s going to get used for about a month and then replaced.

Yup, this is why I've just switched to replacing them about every year instead of waiting for them to wear out. If I wait for them to wear out, I'll have driven through the one storm for the next few months with lovely wipers.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Hey, I have a 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis and I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with the 2-speed cooling fan. When the engine is hot, the low speed mode does not engage, so my car will just sit there and eventually overheat. The only way I can make the fan come on is if I turn the AC on, and then the high-speed mode engages.

Things of note:
-I just replaced the entire fan unit with a brand new one.
-The PCM in my car is from a 1998 police car because my antitheft system was going crazy with the previous standard PCM and wouldn't allow me to start the car.
-I have a cheap OBD2 reader, which apparently is so cheap that it can't communicate with this PCM. However, it could with the previous one. The car otherwise runs totally fine.
-The wiring pigtail to the fan is brand new.
-The fan WILL engage low-speed mode if I jump it to the battery, it's just not getting a signal from the PCM or whatever that's supposed to turn it on otherwise.

Anybody have any ideas? I know that I can drive around with the AC on all the time to keep the fan going, but it seems like that might eventually wear the fan out faster and I'd prefer to just get this weirdness fixed if possible.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla and the windshield molding has come off. It was given to me by my parents and it had come loose while they had it and they had someone glue it down. Do I have to remove the windshield to replace it?

If so, would someone like Safelite replace it when they replace the glass?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Achtane posted:

Hey, I have a 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis and I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with the 2-speed cooling fan. When the engine is hot, the low speed mode does not engage, so my car will just sit there and eventually overheat. The only way I can make the fan come on is if I turn the AC on, and then the high-speed mode engages.

Things of note:
-The PCM in my car is from a 1998 police car because my antitheft system was going crazy with the previous standard PCM and wouldn't allow me to start the car.
-I have a cheap OBD2 reader, which apparently is so cheap that it can't communicate with this PCM. However, it could with the previous one. The car otherwise runs totally fine.
-The fan WILL engage low-speed mode if I jump it to the battery, it's just not getting a signal from the PCM or whatever that's supposed to turn it on otherwise.

Anybody have any ideas? I know that I can drive around with the AC on all the time to keep the fan going, but it seems like that might eventually wear the fan out faster and I'd prefer to just get this weirdness fixed if possible.

How are you jumping the fan to battery - are you just hooking the giant wires to the fan to the battery, or are you triggering whatever relay the PCM would control to turn the fan on?

PCM communication - yes, a lot of the super cheap OBD2 scanners out there did not properly implement the particular OBD2 standard that Ford used early on. I ran into this with my '98 Ranger. However, the fact that it could communicate with the old PCM but not the new PCM makes me seriously question whether or not you've got the right PCM in there. I don't know how much wiring varies between a P71 and a Grand Marquis but it's conceivable that the P71 computer outputs the low speed fan control on a different pin than the Grand Marquis harness would use.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla and the windshield molding has come off. It was given to me by my parents and it had come loose while they had it and they had someone glue it down. Do I have to remove the windshield to replace it?

If so, would someone like Safelite replace it when they replace the glass?

I don't know your car specifically, but in most cases the windshield molding needs to come off to replace the windshield, not the other way around.

Is it these pieces? https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_2004_Corolla/Windshield-Molding/63139706/7553302050.html

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Motronic posted:

I don't know your car specifically, but in most cases the windshield molding needs to come off to replace the windshield, not the other way around.

Is it these pieces? https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_2004_Corolla/Windshield-Molding/63139706/7553302050.html

It's the outer surround molding. It just peeled away from the body.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Achtane posted:

Things of note:

Does check engine light come on when you first start the car?

Does your gas mileage suck?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's the outer surround molding. It just peeled away from the body.

I don't know what that means. Are you saying that is the same part or a different part than what I linked?

If you'r on phone or something and can't see that link these are the parts I'm talking about :

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Motronic posted:

I don't know what that means. Are you saying that is the same part or a different part than what I linked?

If you'r on phone or something and can't see that link these are the parts I'm talking about :

Yeah, that's the part. I assume it's just glued in place. but what kind of glue?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, that's the part. I assume it's just glued in place. but what kind of glue?

It's doubtful it needs glue. It's likely broken (i.e., the part that holds it in is broken off in the part of the car that holds it there)

Again, I don't know your particular car. Maybe someone else can confirm.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Achtane posted:

Hey, I have a 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis

How could he tell :haw:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I am not familiar with that specific year/make/model, but when my 2012 Flex needed a new windshield, it had this plastic reveal molding around the three sides like in that diagram that the Safelite guy just peeled off using a razor gaffe and re-adhered it with 3M from a caulk gun, taped it down & told me to remove the tape after at least 12-hours.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It’s usually either “the thing that holds the windshield in” or what Painter described.

If the windshield is still in there, I’d bet on the latter. And fixing it ... depends on how much you care. I’ve definitely seen it fixed with a caulk gun pretty effectively.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Krakkles posted:

It’s usually either “the thing that holds the windshield in” or what Painter described.

If the windshield is still in there, I’d bet on the latter. And fixing it ... depends on how much you care. I’ve definitely seen it fixed with a caulk gun pretty effectively.

The car is in excellent condition, so I would want to do it the right way.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

The car is in excellent condition, so I would want to do it the right way.

I had a 99 Camry that had the same thing happen a few years back. I just went to the auto parts store and got some specific adhesive made for weatherstripping by 3M and glued it back down. Unless the trim bit is physically damaged and needs replacement, that ought to work. It sounds to me like your parents had it repaired the right way.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

IOwnCalculus posted:

How are you jumping the fan to battery - are you just hooking the giant wires to the fan to the battery, or are you triggering whatever relay the PCM would control to turn the fan on?

PCM communication - yes, a lot of the super cheap OBD2 scanners out there did not properly implement the particular OBD2 standard that Ford used early on. I ran into this with my '98 Ranger. However, the fact that it could communicate with the old PCM but not the new PCM makes me seriously question whether or not you've got the right PCM in there. I don't know how much wiring varies between a P71 and a Grand Marquis but it's conceivable that the P71 computer outputs the low speed fan control on a different pin than the Grand Marquis harness would use.

I was just hooking wires straight from the battery to fan.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Does check engine light come on when you first start the car?

It comes on when the key's in "on" position but it doesn't stay on while the car is running. The gas mileage sucks because it's a Grand Marquis but it doesn't suck any more than usual, haha.

So, I actually just re-replaced the coolant temperature sensor and took it for a drive. And....the cooling fan works as intended! So, yay. Thank you guys for the replies. It's still a little worrisome that I can't communicate using my lovely OBD2 scanner, but whatever.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Achtane posted:

It comes on when the key's in "on" position but it doesn't stay on while the car is running. The gas mileage sucks because it's a Grand Marquis but it doesn't suck any more than usual, haha.

So, I actually just re-replaced the coolant temperature sensor and took it for a drive. And....the cooling fan works as intended! So, yay. Thank you guys for the replies. It's still a little worrisome that I can't communicate using my lovely OBD2 scanner, but whatever.

The clone elm scanners are not perfect and it's pretty much impossible to not get a clone one sadly. That and early Fords don't always play nice.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Achtane posted:

Yeah, that's why I asked about the light and the gas mileage. I figured the pcm would bitch enough about the temp reading low for so long and being stuck in open loop.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

The clone elm scanners are not perfect and it's pretty much impossible to not get a clone one sadly. That and early Fords don't always play nice.

That reminds me, I've always wanted to ask you guys about those OBD HUD thingies on eBay and co:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Head-U...2AAAOSwel1ekD01

I like stupid poo poo and having a water overheat warning, and these things seem to fit both categories. I however don't know if they work with a 1999 Chrysler Voyager (as far as I've found, the data is there, and I could read speed and water temp with an ELM adapter). Any guesses?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's likely using the same pirated ELM code for interfacing, so it should work.

My own stupid question. Had a license plate stolen. My front plate is mounted via a $6 bracket from Walmart that just screws into the bumper cover. Apparently front plates getting stolen is An Issue in the neighborhood my workplace is in. (I thought the plate maybe got torn off on a dirt road, got new plates today, found the bracket and screws fully intact).

Security screws worth it, or should I just keep the ~$7 fee set aside in case a plate moves out on its own again? The holes there already are fairly large (not factory drilled, PO had the plate directly on the bumper... I've added a cheap Walmart bracket, at least). If they are worth it... suggestions? I can hog the holes out enough to take an insert if I need to.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 28, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

STR posted:

What specific EGR code is it throwing? If it's "flow when no EGR called for", then the valve is stuck open, and the rough idle would very much confirm that. Or the vacuum lines are mixed up to the valve.
So I went to check it out. There's no EGR code, in fact I'm not sure it's an issue at all. But on cold idle, it fluctuates between normal idle and 2-2.5k rpm, and then settled into reasonably normal range and I could drive it. Obviously in limp model, little power even for a 1.2l and won't rev over 3k RPM. The CEL codes are

P0221 "Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Range/Performance Problem"
P0638 "Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance (Bank 1)
P0122 "Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input"

After googling a bit, seems like either a throttle body issue, or a broken wire near it. The guy near the end of the thread had the exact same set of codes: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-fit-73/honda-jazz-fit-2005-p0638-p0122-3186613/

So unless someone has a horror story with a similar scenario, I'm going to make him an offer tomorrow. There's a bit of pilot bearing noise when cold but otherwise it's in pretty good shape and should do what i need.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
STR:

Seems like cheap insurance against the hassle to me. Might be just enough work to get the theives to steal from someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, and I live in copland. I've already been stopped twice over it. I've been stopped more times in this sleepy suburb in the ~2 yrs I've been here than in the past 20 loving years combined. :fuckoff:

I've never paid much attention to the antitheft screws - guessing they require clips in the bumper? The ones I saw at Walmart were a very fine pitch, while the screws holding my bracket and plate on right now are basically sheet metal screws with a coarse pitch - but they're just screwed through the plastic bumper cover right now (these are the screws that came with the mounting kit when I bought it last year).. I don't really go into any parts stores except for Advance, and always for an online order pickup, so... don't exactly browse them much. IDGAF about wallowing the holes out to accept inserts/clips if I need to - the car is very much a beater.

mobby_6kl posted:

After googling a bit, seems like either a throttle body issue, or a broken wire near it. The guy near the end of the thread had the exact same set of codes: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-fit-73/honda-jazz-fit-2005-p0638-p0122-3186613/

So unless someone has a horror story with a similar scenario, I'm going to make him an offer tomorrow. There's a bit of pilot bearing noise when cold but otherwise it's in pretty good shape and should do what i need.

Probably a safe bet, but the "pilot bearing noise" is possibly (probably) the main input shaft bearing inside the transaxle. * Source: I've blown up several Honda transaxles

They'll go for quite awhile making noise, but if it's in the early stages (i.e. only while cold), you probably have a year or two that you can get out of it. Just don't plan on being able to rebuild the transaxle (I tried once, and it was ~$3k... should have just thrown a junkyard transaxle in - only usable hard parts were gears and case).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 28, 2020