Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
wizards have so much teleportation magic that makes that train pointless. like maybe it’s traditional but shouldn’t wizards have their own older tradition that isn’t a magical clone of muggle tech?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

wizards are into steampunk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

wizards have so much teleportation magic that makes that train pointless. like maybe it’s traditional but shouldn’t wizards have their own older tradition that isn’t a magical clone of muggle tech?

its because jk rowling is a luddite

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if I was a wizard I would just make a Flying Nimbus to take me everywhere

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Shaggar posted:

its because jk rowling is a luddite

pining for the days of brunel. also empire

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

rjmccall posted:

i think in-universe, children aren't supposed to be using any sort of teleportation magic which must make vacation travel with a child even worse knowing you could have just teleported there

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

duz posted:

i think in-universe, children aren't supposed to be using any sort of teleportation magic which must make vacation travel with a child even worse knowing you could have just teleported there

this is still a silly reason since they could just have a adult wizard waiting at the station to teleport the kids

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dear scifi thread, nothing about the world of harry potter actually sense if you think about it. It's all just written to be whimsical and based on what JK Terfling needed to happen in the story at any given time.

It's meaningless to start analyzing it and that was my point in comparing John Wick to it. I absolutely wasn't trying to start a harry potter derail and you should all be ashamed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

im writing a story about literal wizard children that could magic themselves to their nerd spell college, and they're gonna monopolize the only train that still runs on time in britain to get there

Also there are gonna be slaves. Every wizard family has a slave

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

*hagrid voice* you're part of the 1% harry

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

I absolutely wasn't trying to start a harry potter derail and you should all be ashamed.

fuckin owned

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mystes posted:

Dear scifi thread, nothing about the world of harry potter actually sense if you think about it. It's all just written to be whimsical and based on what JK Terfling needed to happen in the story at any given time.

It's meaningless to start analyzing it and that was my point in comparing John Wick to it. I absolutely wasn't trying to start a harry potter derail and you should all be ashamed.

so are you trying to say that in the john wick universe assassins just poo poo wherever they are and shoot at the poo poo to make it disappear?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

*hagrid voice* you're part of the 1% harry

Harry potter is a dumb jock who only ever learned one spell and later became a cop

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

duz posted:

so are you trying to say that in the john wick universe assassins just poo poo wherever they are and shoot at the poo poo to make it disappear?

no no

they gunkata the poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the magicians was really bad. the premise sounded cool but the delivery was joss whedon bullshit at best, torchwood or something at worse. it was so bad

it's awesome that most people seem to have turned on joss whedon finally. now i can talk about how terrible he is without folks tripping over themselves to defend his poo poo and i like it a lot

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

the magicians was really bad. the premise sounded cool but the delivery was joss whedon bullshit at best, torchwood or something at worse. it was so bad

it's awesome that most people seem to have turned on joss whedon finally. now i can talk about how terrible he is without folks tripping over themselves to defend his poo poo and i like it a lot
I didn't like The Magicians but at least it sort of seems to have some minimal self awareness of the fact that it's dumb, which I think puts it slightly ahead of Joss Whedon shows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones posted:

has anyone had anything nice to say about him since, idk, dollhouse?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

infernal machines posted:

no

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im also bummed david boreanz is on the call of duty tv show

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

everybody loved the avengers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Slippery Tilde

mystes posted:

mystes posted:

I didn't like The Magicians but at least it sort of seems to have some minimal self awareness of the fact that it's dumb, which I think puts it slightly ahead of Joss Whedon shows.

don't forget the cum drinking

so much cum drinking

https://twitter.com/aardvarkwizard/status/1117602304478339072

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

everybody loved the avengers

i honestly forgot he directed that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

indigi posted:

they can’t explain it, as in there’s no way to explain a full quarter of the Earth’s population being killers for hire or support people for that industry. it’s just a different universe to ours
*me, familiar with capitalism, wise* oh really now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

they can’t explain it, as in there’s no way to explain a full quarter of the Earth’s population being killers for hire or support people for that industry. it’s just a different universe to ours

the gold coins appear to be valued at wildly different rates, depending on the plot

like one will buy you a night at the continental, or an assault rifle, or entrance to the hitman club, or a drink from the hitman club's bar

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the gold coins appear to be valued at wildly different rates, depending on the plot

like one will buy you a night at the continental, or an assault rifle, or entrance to the hitman club, or a drink from the hitman club's bar
must be a drat good drink tho

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the problem with indivisible currency, i guess. rampant deflation has made things kind of insane ever since the one guy that made the coins in his basement got into a trade dispute.

the assassins should really establish a central bank to float the currency under a sustainable monetary policy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'd say that a night at the exclusive hotel, entrance to the exclusive club, or a fancy gun are probably all valued about the same -- several hundred to a few thousand dollars.

flipping a coin to the bartender for a drink is probably just showing off.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sagebrush posted:

i'd say that a night at the exclusive hotel, entrance to the exclusive club, or a fancy gun are probably all valued about the same -- several hundred to a few thousand dollars.

it always has been

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

the problem with indivisible currency, i guess. rampant deflation has made things kind of insane ever since the one guy that made the coins in his basement got into a trade dispute.

the assassins should really establish a central bank to float the currency under a sustainable monetary policy

in one of the sequels they establish that the continental is their central bank and mints the coins

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

he buys a favor from that old dude for one coin, and his bulletproof business suit was also one coin

everything costs one coin because that was the style at the time

but when they put the bounty on his head it's in dollars. it's weird

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

agreed with the poster that less time exploring the mechanisms of the universe is better like i dont need to know about seigniorage in john wick; i dont want to hear about tariff disputes in star wars, man

how much of chinas gdp goes into experimental drugs and illicit medical procedures in the crank extended universe anyway

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Casual Encountess posted:

im also bummed david boreanz is on the call of duty tv show

why

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i always liked him on buffy and angel, and he was honestly pretty ok in bones.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Slippery Tilde
he was the one that forced that nickname in the pilot

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

David Boringanus

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i kept expecting someone to shoot a crossbow bolt at him and have him catch it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

he's not making money in a way that is personally entertaining to me

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

this is why the TV show is actually good -- the books have absolutely no self awareness, they rip off Harry Potter and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe but they're edgy and dark and for adults (which means some teen girls get raped) and the author is busy patting himself on the back for copying these children's stories and making them Real Literature while ignoring the past 50 years of SF writing where much more capable authors who were actually familiar with the genre already did exactly this, but better and without all the rape

meanwhile the TV show starts out as a kind of faithful adaptation of the books but starts engaging with the idea that the books are terrible towards the end of the first season and by season two all the characters are now audience proxies towards the idea of how worthless the source material is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

harry_potter_and_the_methods_of_rationality.odf

I still can't believe that's a real thing