Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I had to pick a favorite it'd be Shaun of the Dead. It's certainly the most rewatchable zombie movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I wonder if demon possession movies like Demons or Evil Dead technically count as zombie movies. They're dead bodies that are reanimated, they just happened to be possessed by demons. Demons is like a reverse zombie movie where the zombies are confined indoors with the humans while the outside world remains unaffected.

We've had this discussion before, haven't we?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If you try you can blur the lines a lot. Its why some people argue that 28 Weeks Later isn't a zombie movie because they're not actually dead or why I Am Legend turned the zombies into vampires because they're both undead creatures who feed on humans and spread their infection.

Most horror monsters are basically "undead".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh hell yeah forgot that I got really high last week and ordered the Neo Ultra Q blu as a belated Christmas present for myself :cool:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I consider any movie where a few survivors have to survive against a mob force of unruly messed up looking other humans a zombie movie. I've never seen Demons but I always considered Evil Dead somewhat a zombie movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Honestly I think I became permanently burned out on zombies the day I first saw Return of the Living Dead. It was just so perfect, so completely everything I could ever want out of a zombie movie, I knew right away that nothing could ever compare to it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love zombie movies and honestly thing the subgenre offers more when you move beyond the standard siege movie formula.

But I also love a good zombie siege movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i think you need the fear of contagion for it to be a zombie movie

this doesn't necessarily clarify anything re: Evil Dead though :v:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've seen plenty of sci-fi/horror, but have any movies - for better or worse - blended supernatural forces with aliens? Like alien demon possession, or undead/ghost extraterrestrials? It seems like it could be an interesting combination to mine content. I wouldn't really count Event Horizon, but maybe something with a similar feel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

I've seen plenty of sci-fi/horror, but have any movies - for better or worse - blended supernatural forces with aliens? Like alien demon possession, or undead/ghost extraterrestrials? It seems like it could be an interesting combination to mine content. I wouldn't really count Event Horizon, but maybe something with a similar feel.

I feel like you're basically describing a lot of Lovecraft-style cosmic horror. One that immediately jumps to mind is Quatermass and The Pit.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 28, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars

Which also manages to be the answer to "What is a movie about infectious hordes of monsters but not a zombie movie?"

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

sticklefifer posted:

Lifeforce?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

sticklefifer posted:

Slither!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sputnik was alright.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Possessor is still good ya'll. just wanted to keep everyone aware.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

Possessor is still good ya'll. just wanted to keep everyone aware.

It's so impressive. I went in with high expectations and was still blown away. Honestly I'd give it a 10/10. Brandon really does feel like a 21st century version of his dad, although I don't mean to imply he's a copy as he has his own style. Possessor is just perfect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Iron Crowned posted:

I am the only person I've ever met that hated the Snyder Dawn of the Dead (although I thought the opening sequence of the world going to hell was pretty good).

Zack Snyder should just direct montages and first acts.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I've heard nothing but bad things about The Dead Don't Die though. I think he just kinda peaked in the late 80s :shrug:

I had a lot of fun with it. Not for everyone, and you're probably not going to have a good time if you don't know at least a little of what you're getting into, but there's a good time to be had.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Zack Snyder should just direct montages and first acts.

Those Watchmen credits are pretty amazing. Maybe my favorite opening credits ever.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how the gently caress did the guy who made a movie as cool as Down By Law make a movie as lame as the Dead Don't Die. It felt like a college student trying to be as obnoxiously faux-Wes Anderson-esque-quirky as possible.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm definitely more into the zombie siege part. My least favorite part of post apocalyptic horror is the parts where they're rebuilding societies and having little clan wars like current the walking dead.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Broken Flowers is a masterpiece.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Broken Flowers is a masterpiece.

I dunno about masterpiece but it's pretty good, yea. Broken Flowers and Ghost Dog are the only ones I've enjoyed. I love Westerns and Dead Man bored the hell out of me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
In horror-adjacent news I need to watch Only Lovers Left Alive sometime, I heard it's actually really good.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Only Lovers Left Alive was so good that I did a double take when I realized it was Jarmusch.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

Only Lovers Left Alive was so good that I did a double take when I realized it was Jarmusch.

Same. It's just unbelievably good, not just for a Jarm but objectively.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

King Vidiot posted:

In horror-adjacent news I need to watch Only Lovers Left Alive sometime, I heard it's actually really good.

It's very good.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Only Lovers Left Alive is probably his best work along with Down By Law

Dead Don't Die might be the worst zombie film I've seen and I've seen several Zombi 3s

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm definitely more into the zombie siege part. My least favorite part of post apocalyptic horror is the parts where they're rebuilding societies and having little clan wars like current the walking dead.

I enjoy ones that kind of isolate people and are just kind of character studies. It Stains the Sand Red, The Night Eats the World, #Alive, The Battery. None of those are great films but I enjoy the stuff you can do telling different stories in the zombie setting.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoy ones that kind of isolate people and are just kind of character studies. It Stains the Sand Red, The Night Eats the World, #Alive, The Battery. None of those are great films but I enjoy the stuff you can do telling different stories in the zombie setting.

I think The Battery is pretty great! But generally yeah, I'll co-sign this. You can probably say this about most of the horror archetypes, actually. Still waiting on someone to make a mummy-based romantic comedy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked the Battery a lot. I think the second lead was a little weak for the material and had to carry a bit too much. But it all comes together very effectively.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think I have the absolute lowest standards for zombie movies. Social commentary, three dimensional characters and competent direction are ancillary to my enjoyment. Give me cool looking zombies and an abundance of gore and I'm set.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The Battery is pretty good for its budget. The whole car sequence was great

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

el oso posted:

The Battery is pretty good for its budget. The whole car sequence was great

Yes, the battery was excellent despite its soft opening. It got better as it went in ways most movies usually fumble the bag going into the second act.

On Jarmusch, Only Lovers Left Alive and Ghost Dog are his last two great works :colbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just saw Underwater and it's completely fine. It helps that TJ Miller's character gets killed relatively early on.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

how the gently caress did the guy who made a movie as cool as Down By Law make a movie as lame as the Dead Don't Die. It felt like a college student trying to be as obnoxiously faux-Wes Anderson-esque-quirky as possible.

My friend and I were talking about this movie recently and our conclusion was that Jarmusch was just goofin around. It just doesn’t seem like they were taking it seriously so it helps to watch it through that lens. Like they took all that time setting up Selena Gomez and her friends and then they just die off screen, I mean wtf can that be if it’s not the movie loving with us?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

My friend and I were talking about this movie recently and our conclusion was that Jarmusch was just goofin around. It just doesn’t seem like they were taking it seriously so it helps to watch it through that lens. Like they took all that time setting up Selena Gomez and her friends and then they just die off screen, I mean wtf can that be if it’s not the movie loving with us?

This is 100% what that movie is. How do you watch a movie where Tilda Swinton is a sword master coroner who at the end of the movie is revealed to be an alien and beamed up to a spaceship, and think "yes this man is being serious and this is pretentious?"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i dont think hes being serious, I just find the humor pretentious.

Which is also weird because OLLA is hilarious in a pitch black way. I think TDDD is just too self aware and kinda smug in how funny it thinks its being.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

i dont think hes being serious, I just find the humor pretentious.

Which is also weird because OLLA is hilarious in a pitch black way. I think TDDD is just too self aware and kinda smug in how funny it thinks its being.

I didn't get that impression at all. Dead Don't Die just felt like he convinced the studio to give him ten million dollars to gently caress around with his buddy bill Murray for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That's the exact problem. I don't wanna watch that, I wanna watch an actual movie.

I think what I dislike is what you like, just a difference of taste. To me it just felt like him loving around with his buddies and tossing some half assed ideas together into a mess of a movie that isnt as clever or fun as he thinks.