Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I honestly really enjoy it.

It's very similar to Stardew Valley, the main difference is the focus is on crafting rather than farming and it's a fun system.

So if you enjoyed Stardew Valley but wanted the crafting system to be way more involved I would strongly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Stardew just got another major release with a large content drop so you should play stardew again anyway

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

I picked up Portia today and have been having a lot of fun with it! It has both enough similarities to Stardew but also its own uniqueness that I'm really digging.

Plus, just lookit this smug little happy baby cow. :3:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

Overcooked got added to Prime Gaming today.

Also a reminder that Xbox/Windows Game App for PC still has problems if you don't install all games to the C drive.

What issues?

I don't have it just now, but when I did everything was on the d drive without issue

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is Portia different enough from stardew that someone who bounced off stardew would like it?

I mean it’s free, I’m gonna get it anyway, but I’m wondering if I should play it from the backlog

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is Portia different enough from stardew that someone who bounced off stardew would like it?

I mean it’s free, I’m gonna get it anyway, but I’m wondering if I should play it from the backlog

I think it depends on what you didn't like about Stardew.

I did read a few "new player tips" guides and one thing that people stressed is that if you didn't like the Time Management aspect of Stardew, MTaP is a lot more flexible. There's a slider in the options for how long a day you want to have (I have mine set at 70% currently because my first few days went past in a blur). You lose stamina through actions like in Stardew, but so far I haven't had a problem with not being able to do things I've wanted to do. The game time flows where one 28 day month is one season (with 4 seasons/months in a year), but you aren't on any sort of time limit for the ending - there's no "Grandpa is going to judge your farm on Day 1 Spring Year 3". You can take full days or weeks off from being the Mega Crafter if you just want to gently caress around and explore or fish or do whatever.

Portia is focused on building/crafting rather than farming. You *can* do some farming and ranching but it's not the star of the show. So if you didn't really enjoy the actual farming in Stardew and wanted to do more of the other things (mining, fishing, crafting things from other things) then Portia seems like has a much more expansive system.

On a very basic level, the whole art style is drastically different, if the retro style of Stardew is what didn't hit the mark for you. I love the Stardew style, but there is something to be said about a 3D world that you can turn and twist and see different aspects of.

On the whole, while the games have a lot of similarities, they have a lot of functional differences and I think that makes it worth checking out (with the caveat that I have hundreds of hours in Stardew and have only just been playing Portia for the day so far. Maybe others can weigh in).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Portia's combat is pretty awful (even compared to other similar games), but otherwise it's quite nice chill crafting game with plenty of story content.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Another big difference is Portia has more emphasis on its story and you crafting is a huge part of that.
Like the first thing the game asks you too make is a bridge, and when you finish it it unlocks a large new area and you do this multiple times during the storyline always unlocking new areas, dungeons and at one point you help build a small trading post unlocking a new store.

In my opinion it works much better than the community centre in Stardew because it makes you actually expand on your workshop and focus on a goal.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Portia is free today

...what platform? Should be more clear on that. This isn't an EGS thread exclusive thread.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I prefer my farming/crafting sim to have strong emphasis in world-building and social interaction, which Portia is vastly superior to Stardew in that aspect.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zesty posted:

...what platform? Should be more clear on that. This isn't an EGS thread exclusive thread.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Zesty posted:

I mean even you figured it out and also all of the recent posts these last few days have been about the highly publicised EGS free game Christmas giveaway sooo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

teacup posted:

I mean even you figured it out and also all of the recent posts these last few days have been about the highly publicised EGS free game Christmas giveaway sooo

it's probably just a lead-in to another diatribe about the epic game store again

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, is Inside the prequel to the Uncharted games because this little dude has the endurance of a veteran Ironman competitor.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
go away guy mann

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zesty posted:

lol

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

"Sale ends 12/27/2020 at 6:00 PM"

Umm, at 6:00 PM where, exactly? Can't even get that much right?

(I actually need to know this for complicated "I got this friend" reasons)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Xander77 posted:

"Sale ends 12/27/2020 at 6:00 PM"

Umm, at 6:00 PM where, exactly? Can't even get that much right?

(I actually need to know this for complicated "I got this friend" reasons)
Your time, or whatever Epic thinks is your time. 8 hours from now, 4PM GMT.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

Also a reminder that Xbox/Windows Game App for PC still has problems if you don't install all games to the C drive.

This isn't true. I have gamepass games installed across 3 different drives and they all work fine.

Fallout 76 was broken if not installed to the c drive, but that's an issue with that one game, not gamepass.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

..btt posted:

This isn't true. I have gamepass games installed across 3 different drives and they all work fine.

Fallout 76 was broken if not installed to the c drive, but that's an issue with that one game, not gamepass.

I've had problems with games installed in other drives (Frostpunk not saving and not having a cursor, Ori switching from full screen to windowed at random, and general slowdowns...) but I can believe it's some other issue with game pass.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Frostpunk works just fine for me installed to my F drive. Not tried Ori. Maybe you're having some local issue?

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
When I had Game Pass, games would stop launching seemingly randomly, and rebooting, reinstalling, moving drives, I could never find anything that would consistently fix it. Sometimes I'd try a few days later and it'd just work again. It's a mess.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

..btt posted:

I had the same issue with Wolfenstein: Youngblood and others have with Metro Exodus as well. From what I can figure out it's related to games using Denuvo DRM.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
I've installed 0 games on my C drive and they all work fine, including 76 for the 20 minutes I played that

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Night in the Woods is free on EGS today

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

..btt posted:

The example I heard was Rorie from Giant Bomb saying he had issues with Master Chief Collection on anything that wasn't the C drive.

As the rest of the posts have indicated, this seems to be an extremely YMMV problem.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

repiv posted:

GREGG RULZ OK

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

repiv posted:

I've been streaming this on my twitch and it's FAN loving tastic. Highly recommended. If you missed it is on gamepass and it was in that giant social justice set I think.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stranded Deep is free on EGS today

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

repiv posted:

Stranded Deep is free on EGS today

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/stranded-deep/home

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

That game looks super generic. Has anyone played it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s abandonware that’s been in early access since 2015

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s FREE abandonware that’s been in early access since 2015

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Steam says it was just updated last week, so it can't be that abandoned.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Social Animal posted:

That game looks super generic. Has anyone played it?
i love my free generic game

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Weird, I saw that game in my Steam wish-list yesterday, and decided to remove it because I couldn't remember what it was and a few reviews said it was abandoned. I didn't even realize that it was going to be one of the free games, so guess I lucked out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's not a bad game by any means and it hasn't been abandoned. It just tried to ride the gravy train of survival-crafters years ago and suffers from being middle-of-the-pack and forgettable with the exception that it's still trying to limp along to the finish line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Solitairica is free on EGS today

Just Torchlight 2 and Jurassic World Evolution left now