Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Why the gently caress did your friend sign before checking it out?

Thank god for the actual explanation written below your weird conversation you tried typing out. I speak English as my first language but god drat I couldn’t make sense of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

nwin posted:

Why the gently caress did your friend sign before checking it out?

With services like Vroom and Carvana, generally, the signature on delivery is just "I received the car I ordered on the website, it has all the pieces that should go with it, and it is not currently on fire." They have a return window that you can use to get a car actually checked out after delivery, that replaces the traditional pre-purchase inspection.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey you try translating a few hours worth of an unofficial work discord into English and see how far you get :bahgawd:

Sorry though. I'm with kids this week and compensating by being too online.

AFAIK the sequence for the delivery was short notice, my coworker having to duck out of a meeting with admins and other dept people, then being told 'take a look at it and sign here for the keys' which they took to mean 'complain online if something falls off while you drive it this week'.

Apparently the original delivery estimate was supposed to be later this weekend so the changed date probably made them more antsy.

I think the takeaway is 'just because it's internet doesn't make it better than dealers'

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
return that car immediately, that's the only thing better about Online Car Buying

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

return that car immediately, that's the only thing better about Online Car Buying

This.

I actually like the true "return policy" concept that CarMax / online-only dealerships have. You get possession of the car, you can take it to whatever mechanic / wherever you want to inspect it and thoroughly drive it, and then decide if it's yours to keep or not.

The only downsides are the sometimes higher transaction prices, and the fact that you don't get to negotiate based on the results of the inspection - no $500 off for worn brakes, etc. Either the car is good enough for the price you paid or it's not.

With a rushed delivery like that I absolutely agree on getting it professionally inspected before the return policy runs out.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
how long should I wait to buy new generation bronco

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Greg12 posted:

how long should I wait to buy new generation bronco

Standard advice is don't buy a new model the first year. I believe this is a new model and new platform - so at a minimum I'd want a 2022/3.

That's the conservative, logical side. Now you need to pit that against how bad you want one, the cool factor of having the first model before many others have it and how much cash you have to burn.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fords been having major issues with their new models. I’m a bit of a Ford homer, and even I wouldn’t recommend a first year model. The new explorer launch was a mess (10 recalls now). The f-150 launch is questionable.

I’d give it a year for them to work out the issues. Maybe 2 years.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I want a new bronco now

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is it possible to get an auto loan made out to yourself?

I can buy this car cash, but it would be kind of nice to not take the hit to the bank account when the interest over the life of the loan is only going to come to $400.

Step 1: cut guy check from my checking account
Step 2: call bank and ask to get an auto loan on the car I just bought
Step 3: get check for $9k, send bank the title
Step 4: make monthly payments on the car

???

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What's the best way to tell a dealer to give you a new sales rep because the one you're dealing with is a shithead who cracks racist jokes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

What's the best way to tell a dealer to give you a new sales rep because the one you're dealing with is a shithead who cracks racist jokes?

You can tell the manager exactly that. And they will send you another shithead who cracks racists jokes who's on notice to not do that while you're around.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phone posted:

I can buy this car cash, but it would be kind of nice to not take the hit to the bank account when the interest over the life of the loan is only going to come to $400.
Why not just have the check made to the dude and make payments on it as usual???

KillHour posted:

Ask to talk to the Internet Sales guy??

But either way it sounds like they might Get Talking and suddenly the deal sucks balls.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just asked to be contacted over email and not phone so I at least don't have to hear him.

It's a BMW dealership and I'm considering a new M4 Comp, if that makes a difference in how... receptive they will be to feedback.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Phone posted:

Step 1: cut guy check from my checking account
Step 2: call bank and ask to get an auto loan on the car I just bought
Step 3: get check for $9k, send bank the title
Step 4: make monthly payments on the car

???

Yes, this is just a title loan. They have a sketchy reputation as quick cash for desperate people, but if your car is in good shape and eligible for an ordinary used car loan, most banks and credit unions will set you up with one

With that said - why not just buy the car with an ordinary used car bank loan, instead? That way you don't have to worry about any extra moving parts like valuation, and you get to go down the path with lower chances of "weird, we don't do a lot of these loans and I've never seen this before, I think I need to talk to my manager" oddities.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

I just asked to be contacted over email and not phone so I at least don't have to hear him.

It's a BMW dealership and I'm considering a new M4 Comp, if that makes a difference in how... receptive they will be to feedback.

Just raise hell and if they try to gently caress with you on the deal get it from another dealer. I feel like you've been around the block enough times that it wouldn't really cause you a problem. gently caress racist shitheels, IMO.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Just raise hell and if they try to gently caress with you on the deal get it from another dealer. I feel like you've been around the block enough times that it wouldn't really cause you a problem. gently caress racist shitheels, IMO.

:cool::respek::coal:

Never negotiated on a build to order car, just on ones they have on the lot. Hoping it's a similar process. Good news is I'm considering several options (although leaning heavily M4 at the moment), so I can potentially use that to turn the screws a bit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Space Gopher posted:

Yes, this is just a title loan. They have a sketchy reputation as quick cash for desperate people, but if your car is in good shape and eligible for an ordinary used car loan, most banks and credit unions will set you up with one

With that said - why not just buy the car with an ordinary used car bank loan, instead? That way you don't have to worry about any extra moving parts like valuation, and you get to go down the path with lower chances of "weird, we don't do a lot of these loans and I've never seen this before, I think I need to talk to my manager" oddities.

The car's 2 hours away and I'm trying to avoid moving parts that are out of my hands (like having to go to Fort Bragg to get the check for the car dealership since PenFed messed up the shipping). It was mostly a hypothetical because my patience for paperwork probably isn't that high.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phone posted:

(like having to go to Fort Bragg to get the check for the car dealership since PenFed messed up the shipping)

This is the airborne-est thing I've seen written in a long time.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Here’s another one for you, is penfed gooder than my local credit union..

Edit: not even exclusive... anybody can join?? Pff forget that I’m all about my loan exclusivity

ethanol fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 29, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Fords been having major issues with their new models. I’m a bit of a Ford homer, and even I wouldn’t recommend a first year model. The new explorer launch was a mess (10 recalls now). The f-150 launch is questionable.

I’d give it a year for them to work out the issues. Maybe 2 years.

Escape launch was bad too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ethanol posted:

Here’s another one for you, is penfed gooder than my local credit union..

Edit: not even exclusive... anybody can join?? Pff forget that I’m all about my loan exclusivity

penfed gave me a 36 month loan @ 1.49% for $5500 in 2016 for a 2005 silverado

i haven't seen anything remotely similar from any other credit union or bank

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Yeah, Penfed's customer service is horrific, but their rates are often better than anyone else's.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

lol, nah. Because:

Motronic posted:

You can tell the manager exactly that. And they will send you another shithead who cracks racists jokes who's on notice to not do that while you're around.

saintonan posted:

Yeah, Penfed's customer service is horrific, but their rates are often better than anyone else's.

I used Penfed for a loan a few years back. I can echo the complaint about customer service leaving something to be desired. Rates were definitely decent though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

saintonan posted:

Weirdly, my CU is pretty consistent about beating Penfed. No idea how they do it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 29, 2020

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I kind of want to look into penfed but I already let the stupid navy credit union pull my credit because im dumb as hell and didn’t know the button was gonna do the hard pull.

my local union is like 3.5-4% with excellent credit so I dunno whether to even bother having them do an inquiry if it’s that high for excellent. They do have pretty good customer service. Just trying to avoid having too many inquiries. But maybe just do both anyways.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you do multiple hard inquiries in a short period (like a week), it will count as 1 for score purposes because people cross shop loans all the time.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ethanol posted:

I kind of want to look into penfed but I already let the stupid navy credit union pull my credit because im dumb as hell and didn’t know the button was gonna do the hard pull.

my local union is like 3.5-4% with excellent credit so I dunno whether to even bother having them do an inquiry if it’s that high for excellent. They do have pretty good customer service. Just trying to avoid having too many inquiries. But maybe just do both anyways.

1.9% from dealer financing is extremely common right now, you should be able to get 2.5% or better from a credit union.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Yeah, the mega-CU around here is at 2.19% all the way up to 66 months (I don't personally recommend car loans that long but YMMV). You should be able to shop around and get somewhere close to those rates.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
Howdy I'd like a recommendation if anyone's interested.

Short:

Budget: $5000~
Used or New: Used
Type: Truck
What for?: If possible at budget I want a rock solid truck to daily, and do some moderate wilderness stuff (snow, forest service roads/offroad.) Will revise budget or wait if the options aren't good.
Most important?: Reliability. Second would be ease of working on it, but I'd prefer to pay more upfront to have a car I won't need to mess with often.

Longer:
Have daily driven a 2007 Subaru Legacy for like 7 years now. Subaru has a parasitic draw on the battery. It's not the battery or the alternator. No one can figure it out. I'm getting rid of it because I am tired of the problem.

Recently bought a 80's Ford Ranger as a 'haul junk from storage' / 'easy to work on project for learning about cars' / 'learn to drive a manual' type thing. Runs great but I think the throwout bearing is going out or something. It's basically just for mechanic experiments and craigslist/dump runs at the moment.

I want to replace the daily driver Subaru with another daily but I'd prefer it be a 4x4 truck.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not a truck guy, but AFAIK, RAM 1500s run forever.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KillHour posted:

I'm not a truck guy, but AFAIK, RAM 1500s run forever.
Not in my experience, but I'm sure someone can jump in with actual data.

For $5,000 it's not the brand, but condition and maintenance history that's going to be a deal breaker. Any big 3 full size 4x4 pickup is on equal footing here. Beware of trucks that have been used to plow snow, as they usually discard it from service because of rust issues.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox is right. Basically all domestic half tons are created somewhat equal, and that's where your $5K will go the furthest. History and lack of rust are the most important.

Ford - generally good all around, some issues with various powertrain combos (some EB engines, 3 valve V8s)
GM - mostly good powertrains in a lovely wrapper - not necessarily unreliable but just kind of junky
RAM - until recently, not all that great at anything except for the diesels
Toyota - the Toyota tax is prohibitive
Nissan - you'll have to find one of the four people who bought a Titan

Five grand doesn't buy you a rock solid anything unless your definition of rock solidity is pretty flexible. If you can work on up to $10K you'll do a lot better. You also didn't really mention your use case. If it's just for wilderness stuff and daily driving I'd recommend you keep the stranger for dump runs and put your money towards a used SUV.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nitrox is right. Basically all domestic half tons are created somewhat equal, and that's where your $5K will go the furthest. History and lack of rust are the most important.

Ford - generally good all around, some issues with various powertrain combos (some EB engines, 3 valve V8s)
GM - mostly good powertrains in a lovely wrapper - not necessarily unreliable but just kind of junky
RAM - until recently, not all that great at anything except for the diesels
Toyota - the Toyota tax is prohibitive
Nissan - you'll have to find one of the four people who bought a Titan

Five grand doesn't buy you a rock solid anything unless your definition of rock solidity is pretty flexible. If you can work on up to $10K you'll do a lot better. You also didn't really mention your use case. If it's just for wilderness stuff and daily driving I'd recommend you keep the stranger for dump runs and put your money towards a used SUV.

You mentioned the Ram-what do you mean by “recently”?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nwin posted:

You mentioned the Ram-what do you mean by “recently”?

I still think of fourth gens as fairly new but that's as old as 2009. There was a midcycle refresh in 2013 which made the inside a lot nicer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Do they ever stop transmissions from exploding? Because my 2001 truck had one falling apart at 60k miles. Everyone I've met, who drove a Dodge/RAM truck of similar vintage, had some kind of drivetrain issue. That's a sample size of like 15 people, convinced me never to recommend a Dodge truck to anyone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Do they ever stop transmissions from exploding? Because my 2001 truck had one falling apart at 60k miles. Everyone I've met, who drove a Dodge/RAM truck of similar vintage, had some kind of drivetrain issue. That's a sample size of like 15 people, convinced me never to recommend a Dodge truck to anyone.

Which transmission did you have? I think some of the early RFEs were pretty bad with torque converter and overdrive issues but at least by 2012 the thing was unrecognizable and had a new TC design.

The Torqueflite 8 is a ZF 8HP which is pretty much the greatest transmission devised by man, available after 2013 on the 5.7 and the 3.6. this is also another reason to get the post refresh if you are thinking about buying one.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Which transmission did you have? I think some of the early RFEs were pretty bad with torque converter and overdrive issues but at least by 2012 the thing was unrecognizable and had a new TC design.

The Torqueflite 8 is a ZF 8HP which is pretty much the greatest transmission devised by man, available after 2013 on the 5.7 and the 3.6. this is also another reason to get the post refresh if you are thinking about buying one.
Google says 46-RE, not sure if true. It was 5.9 V8 4x4

I upgraded to a 2wd silverado with 5.3 and it was a better vehicle in every way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh man that was last of the old torqueflites, drat.

GM gas truck powertrain has always been the strong point of those trucks. There are some misses but generally if you're buying some SBC derivative you'll be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I could wait a bit and do 10. What are some fun SUVs?