Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Wait how did I miss that the Padres signed Ha-Seong Kim today too? That is going to be a crazy fun team.

I was legit excited for the Padres next year before they took one of my favorite players in the past 10 years from my own team haha.
Well I bet I watch waaay more Padres games next year for sure now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
At least win the division Padres, I believe in you.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Like why even include Zach Davies? 1 year of him pitching even decently well makes no difference when you're actively tanking. I know the answer is "he costs less" but drat, you could have at least picked up one decent prospect out of this.

It's slap dicks all the way down

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I find it hard to believe other teams could not beat that package so Hoyer probably targetted those players.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Popete posted:

Like why even include Zach Davies? 1 year of him pitching even decently well makes no difference when you're actively tanking. I know the answer is "he costs less" but drat, you could have at least picked up one decent prospect out of this.

It's slap dicks all the way down

I mean they are all the kind of young high upside guys who turn in to decent prospects. Eventually. Maybe.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I live 10 minutes from the stadium and I now have zero interest in the Cubs.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Cleveland and the Cubs being reflections of each other in how they both would have taken the exact paths that they did no matter who had won in 2016. Both see their window starting to close, so they actively slam it shut themselves early for cost savings.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

At least win the division Padres, I believe in you.
Dodgers start slow with the championship hangover, Padres take the division, lose the DS to St Louis or something.

There is a whole new world of baseball agony awaiting Padres fans now

:getin:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I find it hard to believe other teams could not beat that package so Hoyer probably targetted those players.
This is always the head scratcher when a lopsided deal like this goes down

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Harder to get a bidding war going when only three teams are actively trying to win

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'll probably never not root for the laundry, and if I can go back to wrigley in 2021 I'm gonna openly weep when I get up the ramp and see the field, but I can't see myself getting invested in the team on a day to day basis. Even the last couple years I probably couldn't have named most of the bullpen guys. I can't watch on TV legally, and I wouldn't want to anyway. Pat and Ron are great to have on doing something else, but yeah, I might be turning the Sox game on a lot more if I want something to watch.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shiroc posted:

Cleveland and the Cubs being reflections of each other in how they both would have taken the exact paths that they did no matter who had won in 2016. Both see their window starting to close, so they actively slam it shut themselves early for cost savings.

During game 7 the cubs window had been "open" for about 15 months

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

This is always the head scratcher when a lopsided deal like this goes down

We also have 0 insight into how players progressed over the summer. I imagine there's a ton of video floating between front offices in that sort of thing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

We also have 0 insight into how players progressed over the summer. I imagine there's a ton of video floating between front offices in that sort of thing.

Or the Cubs just suck and are assholes.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

xbilkis posted:

Harder to get a bidding war going when only three teams are actively trying to win

There are going to be a handful of articles about how baseball is dying because no one is trying to win while the other sports are doing just fine under Covid and I'm here for it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Homeybeef posted:

I don't post here too much (in the off-season) but I just felt compelled to come in and say I loving hate The Cubs right now and I want to go leave a flaming bag of poop on Riketts doorstep

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
The Cubs walking in like a three stooges bit makes me feel better about the Rays lovely ownership

ScumLord69
Jun 3, 2012
Chicago people feel free to join us on the South Side for the good baseball times. You know at least our manager likes to party.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

marioinblack posted:

The Cubs walking in like a three stooges bit makes me feel better about the Rays lovely ownership

I would too if I were you. Tampa sucks, but in a very specific way that encourages a degree of competitiveness. Just don't get too attached to anyone.

The Cubs are using the excuse of a global pandemic to finish closing the window they've been ignoring for the last 3 years.

ScumLord69 posted:

Chicago people feel free to join us on the South Side for the good baseball times. You know at least our manager likes to party.

As long as you party "the right way".

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I was all in on the sox but TLR is a bridge too far, I despise that guy.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
You could all just become temporary Mariners fans.

If there's one thing they do well (and there is really only this one thing, historically), it's hold on to fan favorite players way too long and pine for them to come back for farewell tours.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

R.D. Mangles posted:

I was all in on the sox but TLR is a bridge too far, I despise that guy.

He's gonna nuke all the fun of what is statistically* the most fun team in the league. Like, I'm a Twins fan and I was actually getting pumped about heading down Red Line when things calmed down. But nope. Let's just take all that youthful energy and squander it.

*This is a fact and I will not debate it.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Hell yea Brewers gonna Brewer their way to the playoffs and get smashed by the super teams.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The Fangraphs analysis of the Cubs return is up. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/scouting-the-cubs-return-for-yu-darvish/

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I tire a bit of the media and blogosphere lining up to poo poo on the Rays. You can criticize their methods, but they pretty consistently field a competitive team. You can't ask for much more than that. Maybe save the venom for the myriad of teams that are both cheap and incompetent. If my team could expand the playoff window for 4-5 years at the cost of the chance for a ring in the immediate future, I'd probably support that.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They haven't won a single ring though.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Cheap and incompetent teams deserve the beatings they take, but at least you can make the argument they’re mostly staffed by mediocre to bad players who haven’t earned big contracts. What damns the Rays, to me, is they get incredible production out of guys and don’t pay them close to what they’d make on most other teams.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The issue with the Rays is that it does work and is smart, but is not enjoyable for the state of the overall game.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1343988680785059843?s=21

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

General Dog posted:

I tire a bit of the media and blogosphere lining up to poo poo on the Rays. You can criticize their methods, but they pretty consistently field a competitive team. You can't ask for much more than that. Maybe save the venom for the myriad of teams that are both cheap and incompetent. If my team could expand the playoff window for 4-5 years at the cost of the chance for a ring in the immediate future, I'd probably support that.

the problem is that they're easily the most cynical team in the game right now. They extended Snell purely to boost his trade value. Who wants to root for a competitive window in the future as opposed to right now?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Congrats to the Phillies for acquiring a Relief Pitcher
Dunno anything about the minor league guys

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have no idea who Garret Cleavinger is or why the Dodgers want him

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Padres Give up Prospects for Yu Darvish, While the Cubs Give Up.

:suicide:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

You could all just become temporary Mariners fans.

I mean I know I’m a Cubs fan but that’s a special brand of masochism.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I think I'm rooting for the Padres this year. gently caress the Ricketts.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Not to woe is me too much, but it's dumb whiplash being a Tampa Bay sports fan.

Rays: "Players are not humans, they are only assets that need to be built up to be turned into more assets."
Bucs: "gently caress it we're signing everyone. What's that about moral character? That just makes the price cheaper!"
Bolts: "Hey let's actually put some effort into scouting and build up a strong core and add on a few key pieces to round out a roster so that we're competitive for a decade. Hey look, all that effort led us to a championship and all those franchise players you love are still on the team!"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ScumLord69 posted:

gently caress TLR’s racist DUI rear end. Guess it’s another year of pining for the Trop unless they throw him in the dumpster.

marioinblack posted:

Not to woe is me too much, but it's dumb whiplash being a Tampa Bay sports fan.

Rays: "Players are not humans, they are only assets that need to be built up to be turned into more assets."
Bucs: "gently caress it we're signing everyone. What's that about moral character? That just makes the price cheaper!"
Bolts: "Hey let's actually put some effort into scouting and build up a strong core and add on a few key pieces to round out a roster so that we're competitive for a decade. Hey look, all that effort led us to a championship and all those franchise players you love are still on the team!"

I love the Bucs but feel very dirty rooting for Touchdown Tom. I love JPP’s dumb four-finger rear end though.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 29, 2020

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1344013563661221889

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Can Nightengale possibly be right twice in a row?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

..................................................................................................................