Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's especially bad cause it's Jarmusch, I bought a ticket to your movie because I was under the impression you knew what you were doing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's especially bad cause it's Jarmusch, I bought a ticket to your movie because I was under the impression you knew what you were doing!

Yeah that's it for me. I like Jim's movies and was hyped for his foray into zombies with a loaded cast. It was a major disappointment.

One of my best buds loves it though and jams out to the song frequently.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

He was just trolling the zombie comedy fan base because it’s objectively the worst sub genre in horror

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

tonedef131 posted:

He was just trolling the zombie comedy fan base because it’s objectively the worst sub genre in horror

Movies that make fun of a certain genre but don't actually have genuine love for it are usually pretty bad. That's why Return of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead are so good, you can have fun with something while also still loving it and celebrating it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah that's it for me. I like Jim's movies and was hyped for his foray into zombies with a loaded cast. It was a major disappointment.

One of my best buds loves it though and jams out to the song frequently.

Yeah I do like the song honestly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Movies that make fun of a certain genre but don't actually have genuine love for it are usually pretty bad. That's why Return of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead are so good, you can have fun with something while also still loving it and celebrating it.

Yeah. Trolling something you dislike is just being an rear end in a top hat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think people who like something just don't respond well to it being mocked. There are plenty of mean-spirited parodies that are great, because the subject matter sucks rear end.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Right. I doubt too many people in here are bothered when they see someone doing an exaggerated Trump impersonation. It's all about how your opinions line up with what's being mocked.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think people who like something just don't respond well to it being mocked. There are plenty of mean-spirited parodies that are great, because the subject matter sucks rear end.

Typically what happens when a parody is made without love for the thing being parodied is you end up with something hollow that doesn't bear enough resemblance to the original to be considered a good parody. Young Frankenstein doesn't work nearly as well if Mel Brooks didn't meticulously reproduce the look and feel of the Universal monster movies of the 30s and 40s. He did that because he loved those movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

tonedef131 posted:

I want to agree with this but can't because the horror sub genre oeuvres of people like Bill Zebub and Massimiliano Cerchi exist

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean its almost certainly true that I've laughed at mean spirited parodies of stuff I disliked. But I was kind of being an rear end in a top hat. Its just the fundamental difference of laughing with someone or laughing at someone. I'm not saying it to shame Jarmusch or people who like Dead Don't Die. I am sometimes an rear end in a top hat. I just think its a real difference in what you're making.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Right. I doubt too many people in here are bothered when they see someone doing an exaggerated Trump impersonation. It's all about how your opinions line up with what's being mocked.

People generally hold feature length films to a higher standard than a paint by numbers SNL sketch, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I mean its almost certainly true that I've laughed at mean spirited parodies of stuff I disliked. But I was kind of being an rear end in a top hat. Its just the fundamental difference of laughing with someone or laughing at someone. I'm not saying it to shame Jarmusch or people who like Dead Don't Die. I am sometimes an rear end in a top hat. I just think its a real difference in what you're making.

I'm not even really talking about being mean or anything like that, for me I just don't think parodies are nearly as effective and enjoyable if they don't have the basic foundation of the thing they're parodying. And that seems to be an issue when people do a parody of something they never liked in the first place, they don't put the foundation in because they don't care about it. So the whole thing ends up feeling empty.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbxqkUIPfUo

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

These parody movies are just the loving worst. Make a one dimensional reference to something popular, add a dash of zaniness, profit. Who actually laughs at this poo poo?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

tonedef131 posted:

I love movies that troll the audience, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 or Exorcist 2. But you have to commit to the idea or you're just making a bad movie.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

That's the exact problem. I don't wanna watch that, I wanna watch an actual movie.

I think what I dislike is what you like, just a difference of taste. To me it just felt like him loving around with his buddies and tossing some half assed ideas together into a mess of a movie that isnt as clever or fun as he thinks.
[A mirror with a copy of 31 taped to it]

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Darthemed posted:

[A mirror with a copy of 31 taped to it]

If the Dead Don't Die had Doomface in it itd be a good movie! But it doesn't.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

If the Dead Don't Die had Doomface in it itd be a good movie! But it doesn't.
[Very Zoolander voice]
Doom Head! Doom Head!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Darthemed posted:

[Very Zoolander voice]
Doom Head! Doom Head!

the drugs have finally fried my brain. Ive stared into the poser abyss and become the poser

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

The ending of that movie is just so mind bogglingly bad and lazy that it’s burnt itself into my brain forever.

It’s a “parody” of Sarah Silverman’s I’m loving Matt Damon, except they say screwing, and also it’s literally just “you’re screwing Matt Damon? Well I’m screwing Hannah Montana” and then just a line or two of what parody character they are screwing. It goes on for like 3 minutes.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Just popping in to say Hunter Hunter is way gnarlier than I was expecting. Holy poo poo. Would definitely recommend to everyone in here.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
That ending is truly something loving else. Gonna stick with me for years

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

dorium posted:

Possessor is still good ya'll. just wanted to keep everyone aware.

Been meaning to watch this. Is the Uncut version better than the original release?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It is. The cut version loses a lot of punch in some very important scenes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

the drugs have finally fried my brain. Ive stared into the poser abyss and become the poser

I warned yoooooooooou

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Been meaning to watch this. Is the Uncut version better than the original release?

def spring for the uncut

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

trip9 posted:

Just popping in to say Hunter Hunter is way gnarlier than I was expecting. Holy poo poo. Would definitely recommend to everyone in here.

Agreed. That loving ending is French Extremity as gently caress.

I have a lot of questions about the rest of the movie though. How does all the wolf stuff connect to the rest? Am I looking for subtext where there is none? Or is it so obvious and I'm just missing it?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I honestly can’t remember a ton about Dead Don’t Die except it felt like his weird attempt to make a zombie movie that was definitely about climate change but also didn’t take itself very seriously despite trying to say something and also not being very good?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It felt like a zombie comedy by someone whose only exposure to zombie films is skimming plot summaries on Wikipedia.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not even really talking about being mean or anything like that, for me I just don't think parodies are nearly as effective and enjoyable if they don't have the basic foundation of the thing they're parodying. And that seems to be an issue when people do a parody of something they never liked in the first place, they don't put the foundation in because they don't care about it. So the whole thing ends up feeling empty.

what it comes down to is the better you understand something, the better you are gonna be at making fun of it. that doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to like the thing you're parodying, but who understands what makes something work better than a genuine enthusiast?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

It felt like a zombie comedy by someone whose only exposure to zombie films is skimming plot summaries on Wikipedia.

It's kinda like how Cabin in the Woods came out with it's clever criticism of how horror movies reuse the same premises over and over and how stale they've become.

Nevermind that the few years leading up to Cabin in the Woods we had stuff like Let the Right One In, Martyrs, Lake Mungo, Drag Me to Hell, Zombie's Halloween 2, Troll Hunter, You're Next, Kill List, just to name a few. And in just the one year after Cabin in the Woods there was Lords of Salem, Sinister, Maniac, Prometheus, and VHS, among others.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

It's kinda like how Cabin in the Woods came out with it's clever criticism of how horror movies

sir are you okay i fear you may be having a stroke

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

sir are you okay i fear you may be having a stroke

Well I thought the sarcasm was clear from the rest of the post.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I enjoyed the first 2/3rds of The Dead Don't Die quite a bit but man does it poo poo the bed towards the end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I looked at the case of the Dead Don't Die DVD and nope'd out immediately.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Well I thought the sarcasm was clear from the rest of the post.

im a dummy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember some years ago there was a new poster who came into the thread and basically introduced themselves by saying that Cabin in the Woods was their favorite horror movie of all time.

I feel bad about it because iirc we heckled that poster and they were never heard from again. As Jules said, we should've tried harder to be the shepherd.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I remember some years ago there was a new poster who came into the thread and basically introduced themselves by saying that Cabin in the Woods was their favorite horror movie of all time.

I feel bad about it because iirc we heckled that poster and they were never heard from again. As Jules said, we should've tried harder to be the shepherd.

Especially because I (and iirc a lot of people here) don’t even hate the movie, I just object to it being called a good or effective satire. Like it’s a very good monster mash movie and I like the conceit overall.

e: I like the cast too. Jenkins, Whitford, and primordial Chris Hemsworth. I didn’t mind the Weaver cameo either.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The actual cabin parts of Cabin in the Woods I can take or leave, but all the behind the scenes bureaucratic stuff with the betting pool and the petty politics between the world branches is fantastic.