Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

every game megathread goes through the same progression of "PREORDERED! Can't wait :D" -> "This game rules! Have you guys found x???" -> "Huh. I kinda wish you could y" -> "gently caress this game. Completely terrible. I'm going back to Dark Souls"

i post in those sometimes and yeah i mostly complain about X thing or whatever. like i posted a few times about breath of the wild and i bet its like 50/50 positive/negative things. like i would highly recommend botw but i do have opinions about parts of it, and i probably broadcast my negative opinions more than my positive experiences.

at this point i try to avoid reading about games before they come out so i avoid threads pre-release as much as possible. like it’s an adversarial relationship between game companies and their consumers and i don’t get anything useful out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
games forum is fuckin great, just go ask questions there in a megathread for the game you're playing. nobody expects you to read all that poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
About the only game that caught and held my attention this year was Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1 of ???

It's pretty good.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561197961923350/

I'm streaming half life 2, and I'm really high

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

nice

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmao

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i got dragon's dog for $8 or whatever it was on steam sale and it's worth the money. v much enjoying it

Mr. Bonkers
Sep 21, 2006

You're wrong and you're a grotesquely ugly freak
playing doom eternal and so far it succeeds in ripping and tearing. also works well with potato gfx cards which is a plus. a+ would steam sale it again.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Casual Encountess posted:

i keep trying to read game megathreads to catch up on games since i’ve not really kept up since 2008. everybody seems to hate everything all the time though so if sucks. civ vi is doing a content pass with monthly releases and it’s honestly pretty good. you could never tell in the thread because everybody’s just screeching about poo poo

im kinda the same. same with movies

everyone else seems to be some hyper critic who can see foot fetishes a mile away, and im too lost just enjoying the movie. same with games

I dont have a lot of patience for games tho.

glad you're enjoying civ 6. i have it but havent really chewed into it. not being able to stack units is a useability killer for me. not moaning or being fussy, but just cant do it lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jesus WEP posted:

every game megathread goes through the same progression of "PREORDERED! Can't wait :D" -> "This game rules! Have you guys found x???" -> "Huh. I kinda wish you could y" -> "gently caress this game. Completely terrible. I'm going back to Dark Souls"

*over 100 hours on record*

*NOT recommended*

mate, if something can keep you busy for 100 hours and youre not getting paid, it cant be that bad

unless some people like hate-gaming. im sure its a thing lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Tron_MYC/status/1343275879401709568?s=20

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

echinopsis posted:

im kinda the same. same with movies

everyone else seems to be some hyper critic who can see foot fetishes a mile away, and im too lost just enjoying the movie. same with games

I dont have a lot of patience for games tho.

glad you're enjoying civ 6. i have it but havent really chewed into it. not being able to stack units is a useability killer for me. not moaning or being fussy, but just cant do it lol

its really not that bad. the ai is pretty easy to exploit both in solo and in multiplayer. also this game is fun in multiplayer but in a 6 hour standard/gathering storm session you'll at best get to industrial if you do a standard start. so when I play multiplayer with people we'll do all kinds of mutators like the pirates or red death maps. both of those have turn timers and turn limits and can be done in 20-30 minutes. we haven't really done turn timers in regular play because most of the people we've been playing with are relatively new to civ as a series and its kind of lovely to chess timer them. there's also some real lovely things you can do if its on dynamic turns and not sequential if you click faster than the other person. i got to zerg rush somebody one time and i took like 3 cities before we banned that one.

in non-civ i'm trying to find some coop campaign stuff. i think we're going to try to play the division 2 for a bit since it was on sale for 8 bucks. i never played borderlands or any of those kinds of games and i'm not really interested in grindy poo poo i just want to shoot dudes with my friends, and destiny seems waaaaay too involved for me. i wish there was some kind of current gen sven coop or serious sam kind of game but nothing i've seen has really seemed like a fun social experience.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

it is cool that i can reliably pay less that 15 bucks for most of the games I give a poo poo about. but at the same time i now have 5 different game services installed and a 60 game library that i already will never play all of. its wild to see people in sa-mart have like thousands of keys for games on their account

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

*over 100 hours on record*

*NOT recommended*

mate, if something can keep you busy for 100 hours and youre not getting paid, it cant be that bad

unless some people like hate-gaming. im sure its a thing lol
I've probably put 100+ hours into NMS and think it's a bad game. It's the perfect example of a game where the potential is just insane, with such an incredible sense of 'ok so this is getting boring real quick but surely it will be fun once blah blah happens' that you play it in spite of how little fun you're having, and it does such a good job of padding the few actually fun bits out that you need to play it for 20+ hours to realise that no, it will never be 'good'. Multiply that across all the frankly incredible updates since the release and that's how I got to '100 hours, hate it' territory. It's not really hate tho, just disappointment.

Maybe I'm getting too cranky to put up with the things that bug me in games, or perhaps NMS has just exhausted me with disappointment fatigue, but I don't think I like gaming that much anymore.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/iamandyholt/status/1343309990459674624

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

I got Chernobyl dlc for Spintires and it runs worse than CP2077 on launch, no wonder you can't buy it anymore from steam because it's such a trash addon.
Also got myself Squad because being screamed at by tryhards at airsoft events is not enough masohism for me and I want to experience it in front of my PC

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Casual Encountess posted:

its really not that bad. the ai is pretty easy to exploit both in solo and in multiplayer. also this game is fun in multiplayer but in a 6 hour standard/gathering storm session you'll at best get to industrial if you do a standard start. so when I play multiplayer with people we'll do all kinds of mutators like the pirates or red death maps. both of those have turn timers and turn limits and can be done in 20-30 minutes. we haven't really done turn timers in regular play because most of the people we've been playing with are relatively new to civ as a series and its kind of lovely to chess timer them. there's also some real lovely things you can do if its on dynamic turns and not sequential if you click faster than the other person. i got to zerg rush somebody one time and i took like 3 cities before we banned that one.

i’ve played every civ since civ 1 on amiga and civ 2 on playstation lol but i’ve never been able to win on anything above settler difficulty lol. tragically terrible at the game. most of the hundreds of hours of play over my life haven’t gone towards winning games but getting 3/4 thru and restarting. i enjoy the game but am terrible at it. i no longer have the time in my life for long stretches of gameplay that could lead to completing the game.

i often wish the game had some grand plan method of playing because often i’ll have some unit moving over many turns and then it’ll get interrupted for some reason and then it’s like, wtf was i trying to do with you, 13 days ago when i started your move.

in fact often my biggest issues with the game is that it’s constantly happy to interrupt your thought process. how about a “just keep doing what i originally asked you to do” feature?

just me moaning about civ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

I've probably put 100+ hours into NMS and think it's a bad game. It's the perfect example of a game where the potential is just insane, with such an incredible sense of 'ok so this is getting boring real quick but surely it will be fun once blah blah happens' that you play it in spite of how little fun you're having, and it does such a good job of padding the few actually fun bits out that you need to play it for 20+ hours to realise that no, it will never be 'good'. Multiply that across all the frankly incredible updates since the release and that's how I got to '100 hours, hate it' territory. It's not really hate tho, just disappointment.

Maybe I'm getting too cranky to put up with the things that bug me in games, or perhaps NMS has just exhausted me with disappointment fatigue, but I don't think I like gaming that much anymore.

i felt this

I think a big part of this is simply being unable, as a human, to put down something that compelling just enough to keep you going but not enough to retrospectively say “it’s worth it”.

I feel the same about jerking off lol. if you don’t get it done in ten mins.. well.. you’ll keep going until you do.. but that doesn’t mean it was a good use of that 3 hours

(repeat and rinse)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RustyKnight posted:

I got Chernobyl dlc for Spintires and it runs worse than CP2077 on launch, no wonder you can't buy it anymore from steam because it's such a trash addon.
Also got myself Squad because being screamed at by tryhards at airsoft events is not enough masohism for me and I want to experience it in front of my PC

i got spin tires a long time ago

i guess i don’t get it?

you get stuck.. and then you’re not.. and then you’re lost.. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
game as game vs game as dissociative drug

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
very true

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I got Ark on the epic store because the concept seems cool and it was like £5 with all the expansions, but it's over 100gb lol. I don't mind a big game but that's easily the biggest I've seen

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

bob dobbs is dead posted:

game as game vs game as dissociative drug

can't wait to get too high to open my eyes and then play some animal crossing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i felt this

I think a big part of this is simply being unable, as a human, to put down something that compelling just enough to keep you going but not enough to retrospectively say “it’s worth it”.

I feel the same about jerking off lol. if you don’t get it done in ten mins.. well.. you’ll keep going until you do.. but that doesn’t mean it was a good use of that 3 hours

(repeat and rinse)

I think it’s the thought that “well the NEXT planet almost has to be that perfect one”.

we all still have that pre-release footage setting the bar in our heads

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bought no man's sky on release and played it until i got bored. i didn't like the shooting or the being shot at. in general both those things are fine, but nms had bad implementation of both.

tbh i didn't really expect much out of the game and didn't follow the hype, i just preordered it because "first person space exploration, cool"

i still haven't got around to playing it with little jones since it got its big update. but we will one day!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i've been playing through ac: valhalla and enjoying it well enough. it has a fun bug where if you die and respawn, you are drunk when you respawn.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
if u died and went to valhalla wouldnt you get drunk?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i bought no man's sky on release and played it until i got bored. i didn't like the shooting or the being shot at. in general both those things are fine, but nms had bad implementation of both.

tbh i didn't really expect much out of the game and didn't follow the hype, i just preordered it because "first person space exploration, cool"

i still haven't got around to playing it with little jones since it got its big update. but we will one day!

post-update nms is really good and my kiddo loves flying the spaceship around

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nms, despite or because of all the updates, is a game that is what you make of it beyond the 8~12 hours of plot missions like a sort of intergalactic minecraft explore mode which can be frustrating

the general best moments are emergent or people-heavy, but the odds of those are low with a quintillion systems unless you play on the weekend events, find a regularly populous system, or have a group of friends ready to roll play space exploration

personally, i enjoy system hopping and finding things/base building so once i found one of the hub systems players built i was set for seeing basses and branching to neighboring civilizations

the early game struggle and plot are a bit barebones but enjoyable enough ive done the permadeath run, but that can be brutal. for that, it becomes a planetary rogue-like that starts you on an extreme hazard planet each time

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we're just gonna gently caress around and look at the animals and stuff. if the boy can tool around on the planet without those annoying laser robots ruining his fun for no reason, it'll be perfect

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

My favorite part of the game was the entire soundtrack produced by 65daysofstatic because math-rock is :coolfish:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hades is good

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i'm playing apotheon which i've had on ps+ for forever. it's fun

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Achmed Jones posted:

we're just gonna gently caress around and look at the animals and stuff. if the boy can tool around on the planet without those annoying laser robots ruining his fun for no reason, it'll be perfect

ah yeah you'll be all set as long as you find a paradise planet or a low conflict system

theres the galactic hub project if you want to hunt down a few systems and planets with lots of bases and low conflict and calm biomes

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Galactic_Hub_Project

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
should I get Witcher 3 on switch or steam?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

LibCrusher posted:

should I get Witcher 3 on switch or steam?

Steam, there are a couple of qol mods that really help with the game.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the switch version is lol

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006