Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The end credits have a lot of African-American cultural institutions listed so they did their homework on some aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Pixar’s Get Out

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I loved the barber shop scene and especially the barber himself

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dez was a truly great character, well rounded with a good story.

Also, people are thirsting.

https://twitter.com/freeblackgirl/status/1343608507849818113

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I loved Soul. Maybe not quite as much as Coco and certainly not god-tier like Moana, but visually it was stunning and I thought the themes they brought in were interesting if not sightly too heady for my kids. I'd maybe like them to develop some of the characters better, but Disney's tendency to spin off nearly everyone in their properties means that we'll likely get shows based on everyone from the Accountant to the mean guy in the barbershop eventually.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not commenting on the attractiveness of cartoons but agree that he was a really good character. Everything to do with the barbershop was perfect.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm not commenting on the attractiveness of cartoons

COWARD

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You want some good barbershop talk then you should check out the docuseries about Chicago called City So Real, streaming on Hulu right now. They show some good discussion from both an Italian and an African American neighborhood barbershop in the first episode.

I had a gun pulled on me in that Italian barbershop back in the day. I love my hometown. :clint:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

I haven't seen Soul, but Dez does indeed have a fantastic. I'd love to watch a whole movie of that dude doing stuff.

Anyway, I dislike Steven Universe. Partially because of the incompetent ways in which it handles serious topics, and partially because it's borring. I could say more, but I don't feel like it, so I won't.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Didn't I used to see you in the SU thread all the time? I had though you were actually

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

The way I figured they would handle the Freaky Friday thing was that 22 and Joe would end up in the same body. Shame they did it the way they did

I was also hoping for a Roxanne Man with Two Brains-style situation, but that wouldn't have solved the problem. Then again I just like watching people fight with themselves.

graventy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 29, 2020

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

graventy posted:

I was also hoping for a Roxanne-style situation, but that wouldn't have solved the problem. Then again I just like watching people fight with themselves.
I think you mean All of Me?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Neon Noodle posted:

I think you mean All of Me?

Or The Man With Two Brains.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Or The Man With Two Brains.

Yup, this one. I haven't seen any of them in a long time so they all run together.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sivart13 posted:

Soul:

The character of 22 fucks it all up. How am I supposed to relate to a little blob who has not-lived for millennia and knows everything about Earth culture but has just been two stubborn to give it a try?

It isn't hard to figure out a version of the character whose attitude is a little more understandable, especially with what we know about Earth passes by the end of the movie. Imagine being the 22nd soul ever created and being completely unable to find yourself ready for life. You've tried literally everything in the Hall of Everything. You've seen dozens and dozens Halls of You. But somehow, the metaphysical fabric never comes together and you're never judged by whatever it is to be "ready" for life. At some point, you stop looking for that last bit that makes you ready. Then the sour grapes set in, and you start resisting the process. Then the movie picks up

It still doesn't answer the question of why exactly 22 wasn't ready for life, but it does make her less of a prat.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

graventy posted:

Yup, this one. I haven't seen any of them in a long time so they all run together.

Haha wow, Steve Martin microgenre

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

*Exhausted sigh*
The drummer in the quartet can get it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Didn't I used to see you in the SU thread all the time? I had though you were actually

You did! Because I liked the show a lot when it first started! Then it through in a few plotlines that made me go "oh, I don't like this" but I kept watching anyway. Then I went back to school to learn how to become a counselor ( and it's going great btw, I'll be starting work as a case worker in January) and learned quite a bit about trauma and abuse and then I went back and tried to watch the show and was like " oh, I actually hate this!"

So, yeah, tastes change over time.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I watched Onward to catch back up on Pixar movies, and while I think the first half hour is kind of a wacky Dreamworks-y mess, it really starts to gel together when it becomes a brother's road trip. I think I cried for the last fifteen or so minutes. Pixar knows how to emotionally manipulate me.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really loved Onward and it made me cry a lot more than Soul, is that weird

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Onward's payoff is legit. But it feels like that was someone's initial concept thought that it was never about him, but rather his quest to help his brother say goodbye and that everything else was just ill thoughtout filler to get up to that point. Almost none of the jokes were funny nor characters really relatable. Like... whoa dude... BIKER FAIRIES! It's so funny cuz like... they're SMALL but acting big!

It was just very junior level writing. But the last 10 minutes were almost worth it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The manticore was cool

The stepdad being a cop sucks

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Neither of those were cool. I've seen it like 5 times now and it's just... all. so. forgettable.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why watch it 5 times if you don’t like it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hedrigall posted:

Why watch it 5 times if you don’t like it

This probably will seem obvious, but:

Kids.

edit: Also I love watching movies with my kids and we watch tons of animated movies. *tons*. And Onward is one of the very few I find it so hard to get through. But then weep like a baby at the end.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
They make movies for kids now?? 🙀

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I kinda wish Onward was more from the focus of the mom than the two kids. I would def watch a mom + manticore buddy movie

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hawkperson posted:

I kinda wish Onward was more from the focus of the mom than the two kids. I would def watch a mom + manticore buddy movie

I would have liked that better too, they were the best characters.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Souls soundtrack was amazing, and I do appreciate that it was a softer, gentler film

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm watching Hercules for the first time in a long-rear end time. I got sick of it because Kingdom Hearts will not stop doing bad levels based on it. And that's saying a lot given how not great KH is.

Not only is the animation great, but I forgot John Goodman is Zeus. And this is also more interesting after I've played a lot of Hades. James Woods is a shithead, but goddamn I love his commitment to being Hades.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Skeletome posted:

Souls soundtrack was amazing, and I do appreciate that it was a softer, gentler film

I just came here to make this exact post and rave about the Soul soundtrack.

This one made me cry. It's played over the final piano scene where Joe lays out 22's things on the piano and the gorgeous night shots of NYC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNXY1av-NUE

This one plays a few times but you hear it fully during the end credits and is beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtcPriBV65U

Great Beyond is just a really good ambient track (which is no surprise considering Trent Reznor loves playing in that genre).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_PhLde3QUA

Jon Batiste's jazz pieces are also utterly fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJcpAwcNbc

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Man. I haven't seen Soul yet, but it's kinda amazing that Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross put out 2 way different scores in the same month.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The_Doctor posted:

Jon Batiste's jazz pieces are also utterly fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJcpAwcNbc

The way his right hand floats over those high arpeggios in this piece is just transportive.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fartington Butts posted:

I'm watching Hercules for the first time in a long-rear end time. I got sick of it because Kingdom Hearts will not stop doing bad levels based on it. And that's saying a lot given how not great KH is.

Not only is the animation great, but I forgot John Goodman is Zeus. And this is also more interesting after I've played a lot of Hades. James Woods is a shithead, but goddamn I love his commitment to being Hades.

Uhh wait, are we talking about the Disney one? That's Rip Torn, no?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You did! Because I liked the show a lot when it first started! Then it through in a few plotlines that made me go "oh, I don't like this" but I kept watching anyway. Then I went back to school to learn how to become a counselor ( and it's going great btw, I'll be starting work as a case worker in January) and learned quite a bit about trauma and abuse and then I went back and tried to watch the show and was like " oh, I actually hate this!"

So, yeah, tastes change over time.

This is totally off topic to the thread but I'd actually be really interested to hear what you have to say about Steven Universe wrt how it handles trauma/abuse as someone who has a more studied background for it, since I always hear people talking about how the show handles those issues as one of its strong points.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Uhh wait, are we talking about the Disney one? That's Rip Torn, no?

Correct, John Goodman isn't in that movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

This is totally off topic to the thread but I'd actually be really interested to hear what you have to say about Steven Universe wrt how it handles trauma/abuse as someone who has a more studied background for it, since I always hear people talking about how the show handles those issues as one of its strong points.

Maybe this can happen in the still very alive SU thread rather than the animated movies thread.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ruddiger posted:

I had a gun pulled on me in that Italian barbershop back in the day. I love my hometown. :clint:

go on

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The part at the beginning of Soul with all the the souls sitting in a movie theater, and also the moving filmstrip into the exploding star felt oddly scientologist-y.

But on the whole deeply unimaginative!! I was really disappointed with it. The cubist 2D characters were a nice touch, but the whole environment they and the souls lived in felt like a blank coloring book. And maybe that's the point, that life is the thing with the substance, but there are so many abstract ways to define unsubstance! They could have gone super abstract and done anything but kept going back to the most basic understanding of "void." What if the void was beautiful? Could that present a challenge to the character, that he wouldn't want to leave, or he's losing himself? All the spiritual questions the movie asks are in the material world, but presents the common knowledge afterlife, souls look like blue minions, babies live in limbo, the afterlife is an reused special effect from 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Also weird that Joe doesn't have much in the way of musician friends! Just an ex-student calling him to get a gig. Gigs, according to his mother, he is wasting his life in pursuit of, that he is also not gaining connections at? The social aspect of music (and all the other arts) is huge, and finding camaraderie in a group of artists is a specific, beautiful meaning of life. How did the group of artists making this one miss it? We don't see almost any of Joe's life before he dies! And the only thing he learns from doing music with a quartet is, "this is your crappy day job now?" Boo! Booooooo!

It's just such a limp movie! Theologically, from a character motivation standpoint, and ESPECIALLY because the two never meet in a meaningful way. It's like Monkeybone without flavor. RIP MoonBeam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe this can happen in the still very alive SU thread rather than the animated movies thread.

I've actually been intentionally avoiding posting about any of my thoughts in the Steven Universe thread specifically because I don't want to ruin anyone else's good time.

I already posted quite a few negative hot takes over there while the show was on going, and now my negative hot takes are even more intense and angry and I really don't think it would do any good for me to rehash all my old complaints. The show is over, what happened happened, best to let it be and not spend too much time ruminating on something that puts me in such a negative headspace and then spreading that negativity to others.

ishikabibble posted:

The TLDR summary of my thoughts is that Steven Universe gets just enough stuff right that it makes the stuff it gets wrong even worse, and it tries to have its cake and eat it too by bring up real and serious issue while also presenting these issues as easy to solve. And the way it depicts abuse is bad, really bad, especially among family members. It's not your responsibility to fix your abusive biological parents, it is perfectly fine to cut them out of your life (in fact, I personally strongly recommend it).