Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I liked it. They trimmed a bunch of fat, but the timeline jumps didn't bother me at all.

Having Flagg play a role in the initial infection was a good call. I spent a moment thinking of how very unlikely it was that the virus could escape a biosafety level 4 lab, but then I was all like 'eh, a wizard did it' and it was OK.

-10 points for no Blue Oyster Cult, but I think we'll hear it sooner or later. Another -5 for the sucky opening title graphic.

Stephen King: THE TAN

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

Like what?

Well the story can basically be summarized as “99.9% of humanity dies. Survivors gather in Good City and Bad city and then Bad City blows itself up.”

Nothing the main protagonists do affects that outcome. There’s story lines like “Satan Makes a Baby” but then the mother kills the baby so it doesn’t matter except briefly making Satan sad. Or “Epic Road Trip to Bad City” which ends with the protagonists being captured and then blown up with Bad City, something they didn’t cause or affect. Mother Abigail is also a weird character. People have visions of Abigail who then tells them of her visions. She’s basically an extra step you didn’t really need and it’s a lot of words and pages to spend on her in that sense.

It’s not to say I disliked it. It’s just a particular writing style – there’s reasons for it and it’s fine. I obsessively read most of Kings books when I was a kid and he was my gateway to other authors. It was fun getting re-acquainted with his style after like 25-30 years.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The stand is basically an old testament story happening in modern america, the faithful are being tested for their faith in God, the good guys go to Vegas to observe a miracle and die, Stu is a reverse Moses.

huge fan of the book, the show didn't impress me so far.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like that the show changed up some things; kept it from being too much of a retread, given that I've read the book a million times and saw the mostly faithful miniseries multiple times too. It was a kind of nice surprise to have Stu's time in lockup not all that bad and a changed conclusion, and to explore Harold through a more modern lens. I hope Larry's story is changed a bit as well, especially given the race change.

A TON of blink and you'll miss references, like Harold having a Crimson King poster on his wall and such, too.

We seriously need Stellan Skaarsgard to play the CK since his sons are Pennywise and Flagg.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

A TON of blink and you'll miss references, like Harold having a Crimson King poster on his wall and such, too.

oh snap. good catch

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Is there a list anywhere of the easter eggs? I noticed a few, like the King Crimson poster, and Harold got a rejection from Cemetery Dance, but I'm sure there are many

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Few things I noticed. in the cornfield dreams: were there creepy laughing children running unseen like in that one story/movie about the corn and the kids?

Was the wolf in the clearing in the book? I don't recall one which leads to a follow-up point, the scorpion on Harold's desk.

Desperation posted:

PART I - HIGHWAY 50: IN THE HOUSE OF THE WOLF, THE HOUSE OF THE SCORPION

They do end up in Nevada :thunk:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Few things I noticed. in the cornfield dreams: were there creepy laughing children running unseen like in that one story/movie about the corn and the kids?

Was the wolf in the clearing in the book? I don't recall one which leads to a follow-up point, the scorpion on Harold's desk.

They do end up in Nevada :thunk:

Children of the Corn, it's been a while since I read the lore but I believe he who walks behind the rows and Flagg are the same.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

Children of the Corn, it's been a while since I read the lore but I believe he who walks behind the rows and Flagg are the same.

nope

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't think King started putting Flagg in other books besides the Dark Tower (and Eyes of the Dragon) until the late 90s with Hearts in Atlantis.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fair enough, I swore I read that but it might have just been a fan theory.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I started reading King right around '99 and I was fascinated with this mysterious evil guy that kept showing up across different times/places. It's funny to imagine reading it these days now that every media property is part of a "shared universe."

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I've always been disappointed that The Shop wasn't more closely related to the Dark Tower universe. I could see them being a government-funded research centre owned by the Sombra Corporation.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Canuckistan posted:

I've always been disappointed that The Shop wasn't more closely related to the Dark Tower universe. I could see them being a government-funded research centre owned by the Sombra Corporation.

The last mention of the Shop was Tommyknockers, right? He's referenced shadowy government organizations in other stuff since then I think (Arrowhead Project in the Mist, etc) but it seems like a combination of dropping that thread after the poor reception of Tommyknockers and also like most boomers as he got rich his distrust in government got more benign.

Ostensibly the Shop is part of the Tower shared universe stuff since it encapsulates all realities but I'd be really surprised to ever see it directly referenced again.

Lester Shy posted:

I started reading King right around '99 and I was fascinated with this mysterious evil guy that kept showing up across different times/places. It's funny to imagine reading it these days now that every media property is part of a "shared universe."

Yeah he was ahead of the curve on that one, although the fact that most of his shared universe ran through 3 towns in Maine probably put a limit on things.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We probably narrowly missed a version of The Stand where everyone comes to Bangor instead of Boulder.

Flagg's gang ends up in Portland.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Okay it's driving me nuts, the bloated throats of people with Captain Trips is reminding me of a movie, and for some reason I'm thinking of Paul Giamatti, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

All I can think of is Pure Luck with Martin Short but that's not it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kung Fu Hustle?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Medullah posted:

Okay it's driving me nuts, the bloated throats of people with Captain Trips is reminding me of a movie, and for some reason I'm thinking of Paul Giamatti, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

All I can think of is Pure Luck with Martin Short but that's not it.

Jiminy Glick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcgsDM8c6V8

I think when Frannie was trying to dress up her dad in his dress uniform and then get him out of bed and into the grave he cut a death fart.

It was interesting (good) that they cut out the part where she said she was pregnant and her awful mother (not present) didn't give her the business. She was trying to bring it up to her dads but decided to save it.

Nthing that Harold is perfect in ep1. The way he tries to say something nice and his facial cues (or maybe it's me the constant reader) foreshadow things.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
episode 2 was substantially less good. Felt very network TV. And the actor for Lloyd Henreid is pretty terrible.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Medullah posted:

Total Recall when they get blown out onto the Martian surface?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Fat Bastard in Austin Powers?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

Fat Bastard in Austin Powers?

I had thought of him but dismissed it, but thinking about it that might actually be it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the throat bug sting scene from the mist

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Its Ryan Reynolds in Just Friends.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Flaggy posted:

Its Ryan Reynolds in Just Friends.

THAT'S IT! Thanks, it was driving me nuts.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Man I am so glad they casted a black man as Larry Underwood.

There will never be the line "that brown sound sure do get around" in the new series.

(just started episode 2)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Ma, have you heard me on the radio?

Of course I have. You sound white!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there a 2020 version of Baby Can You Dig Your Man?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

it's weird that I am much more fine with excising the Lincoln Tunnel when little details I always loved like MOTHER?!? MOTHERRRRRR!! and the home playe jerkoff guy make it in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's a conscience choice to only show what the main characters are seeing, versus the all-seeing eye of the book. There's zero exposition about what's happening with the plague.

I can't say whether I like that or not to be honest. It does make for a more 'personal' story.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I thought that would be very confusing for people who hadn't read the book, but that seems to be not the case. My boyfriend hasn't read The Stand or seen the other mini-series and has had no trouble at all keeping up with what was going on. I've read the book and the jumps are a little jarring for me but it's nothing too bad. We are both digging the series though. It's been easily 6-7 years since I've read the book, but it seems to be close enough to what I remember and I haven't had any issues with any of the case yet aside from Whoopie seeming to be phoning it in hard. But that could be just because she's had a whole four lines of dialogue so far so I'll reserve my judgement for now. My boyfriend is so into the series he was asking me how many seasons I thought it was going to take, and when I said it was a mini-series he made me look up the episode titles to see if it would tell the whole story. It's adorable, he normally doesn't care that much about Stephen King adaptions, but he is all over this one. I'm debating on if I should get the audiobook version so he can listen to it while walking to work.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There’s nothing about the series so far that makes it difficult to make sense of. I haven’t read the book in 15+ years and I’m liking the show so far.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RCarr posted:

There’s nothing about the series so far that makes it difficult to make sense of. I haven’t read the book in 15+ years and I’m liking the show so far.

The time jumps are not confusing so much as annoying.

(I listened to the audiobook this lovely covid spring so maybe I'm biased)

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Wake me when the mad lads do an entire episode on "No Great Loss".

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FreezingInferno posted:

Wake me when the mad lads do an entire episode on "No Great Loss".

That was a fun chapter but also pretty misogynistic.

I get the appeal but drat I almost liked the middle or even the stupid ending more.

Still needs more cowbells, imho.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm like, half and half on the new miniseries so far. The contemporary updates to the characters range from 'okay that's a pretty good take' to 'wut.' The casting isn't at all how I pictured anyone in my head, but the cast mostly works for the modern approach the story, and some of them, like Tom, are actually really good.

On the other hand, there are some nonsensical changes or little additions that don't do much, and I think it was a mistake to make the story non-chronological. There are some really great interpretations on individual scenes. But also some bad ones.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I dont have CBS all access as a service ive paid for yet so I'm gonna wait for it all to finish and then try and binge cuz I sure don't need another streaming app. Interesting to see it jumps around. I think it is a story that'll lend itself to non-linear story telling just fine. Hope that pans out

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Casting wise the only choice I don’t like is Whoopi Goldberg. She’s good in it but it’s just one of those things where it feels like they didn’t even think about it and were just like “gently caress it, we’ll just go with her”.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Casting wise the only choice I don’t like is Whoopi Goldberg. She’s good in it but it’s just one of those things where it feels like they didn’t even think about it and were just like “gently caress it, we’ll just go with her”.

Yeah it's like, if I were a casting director I couldn't think of anyone better.

Good thing that's not my job title.

Go with what works (and who works)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

She's actually starting to grow on me with the most recent episode. She's still not my ideal choice, but she's not as bland as she seemed in the other two episodes. And she's got like two more episodes to live max so it's not like it's a big issue.