Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Halfway through Valley of Tears and it's... a mixed bag. I can't really say too much about the outlandish characters and improbable situations, given the actual history of outlandish characters and improbable situations. Despite the egregious use of CGI for muzzle flashes instead of blanks, they are shooting on the historical locations with (mostly) correct gear. If you like Uzis and Centurions, this may be your show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

So I just read a recommendation for Desperate Housewives in this very thread, and it's something that I never remotely considered. Is it actually self-aware and funny? I'd never even considered it, but I'm reminded now of how Devious Maids turned out to be a lot of fun.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Yes, it’s a lot of fun. I think I used to mix it up with sex and the city so never bothered with it but it’s a good black comedy.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished Unforgotten, a BBC detective show about found bodies re-opening old cases. 3 series, each a separate case.

Nicola Walker is excellent in it. I am a big fan of the whole genre of 1 season/miniseries long mystery shows, this one I think hit the spot very well.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

P-Valley is surprisingly good, I like that its a bunch of interconnected stories revolving around the strip club. they also pretty much dropped the nudity after the first two episodes, I guess that was to reel people in

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The new Christmas episode of Euphoria is fantastic. Really solid bottle episode full of great points.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Finished Banshee, weaker 4th season but still liked the ending. Watched the first season of Dirk Gently, it was ok I guess? Watched the first 2 season of Castlevania which was fun.

Hannibal just hit Prime (in the UK) so I'm feeling a rewatch to pass the time between new Expanse.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

I'm watching Supernatural for the first time because I've been blasting through too many shows and I need something long.... It took me 3 seasons to get into it and I'm currently on season 7, and I can see how Destiel was even a thing, but why did they want to shy away from it?

p.s. any other long recs ? I've watched so many shows during quarantine.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Norse Code posted:

I'm watching Supernatural for the first time because I've been blasting through too many shows and I need something long.... It took me 3 seasons to get into it and I'm currently on season 7, and I can see how Destiel was even a thing, but why did they want to shy away from it?

X-Files (which is basically the show Supernatural most clearly owes a debt to) and Doctor Who are the other two big epics of sci-fi / fantasy television. Stargate also exists, but it can be very basic a lot of the time (and pretty awesome some other times, though not as frequently as the other big hitters here).

If you're looking for something of a similar genre ilk, but not quite as long, then Babylon 5, Hercules and Xena from the 90's; Buffy, Angel, Farscape and Battlestar from the 00's (and Lost if you're feeling like a masochist), and The Expanse, Wynonna Earp, The Magicians, Killjoys and Defiance from the 10's. And there are probably other shows I'm forgetting.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Norse Code posted:

because tv was still pretty homophobic early 2010’s

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I started watching Cobra Kai, and it's fun. I really don't buy the implication that losing a karate tournament as a teenager ruined Johnny's life and he's been a loser with a grudge against Danny ever since, but beyond that I'm enjoying it. Do they ever address the 2nd and 3rd movies, or do they stick to references from the original?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Finished watching Ted Lasso. It was wonderful, just wonderful.

Also, Hannah Waddingham is a total fox, goddamn!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sticklefifer posted:

I started watching Cobra Kai, and it's fun. I really don't buy the implication that losing a karate tournament as a teenager ruined Johnny's life and he's been a loser with a grudge against Danny ever since, but beyond that I'm enjoying it. Do they ever address the 2nd and 3rd movies, or do they stick to references from the original?

Based on the first two seasons and the trailer for season 3 it does reference all the Daniel movies. Though Will Smith is also an executive producer so I'm sure they'll shoehorn in Jaden Smith someday.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vincent posted:

Finished watching Ted Lasso. It was wonderful, just wonderful.

Also, Hannah Waddingham is a total fox, goddamn!

We had just finished watching 12 Monkeys before Ted Lasso, and she played a pretty scary and evil recurring villain on that show. She is a fox, but I'm 42, and I was surprised to learn she was only 46. I assumed she would have been older.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mu Zeta posted:

Based on the first two seasons and the trailer for season 3 it does reference all the Daniel movies. Though Will Smith is also an executive producer so I'm sure they'll shoehorn in Jaden Smith someday.

Hopefully he makes fun of karate and beats everyone up like Bruce Lee in Way of the Dragon.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We binged through Schitt's Creek in about a month. Difficult watching a show with a toddler around. But probably one of my favorite shows of all time. My wife turned to me after the last episode and said let's start it over.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I only got into about half the first season but Grimm was pretty close to Supernatural.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I watched the first four episodes of The Umbrella Academy. I’m really digging it. A lot. I knew nothing about it going in so it’s a wild ride so far.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sweet Home. It's fun when it's being deliberately cheesy, and occasionally so bad it's good. It's dramatic to the point of absurdity, and pretty extreme when it wants you to feel sad about something. So there's lots of crying, quite a few drawn out self sacrifices and mercy kills, with at least two characters receiving both.

The lead isn't very good, and they give him a really lovely wig to wear which doesn't help things. The supporting performances can be pretty good though, particularly from the older cast (the ones who aren't burdened by having to play fuckhead characters at least).

Monster designs are mostly good too, though if you expect the show NOT to end with two K-pop idols exploring their shared homoerotic tension I don't know how to help you.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

I started watching Cobra Kai, and it's fun.

Wow, the writing really took a header off a cliff in the 2nd season. Training new rivals and building to a tournament was a fun gimmick for the first season, but season 2 just turns into nonstop teen drama and people coincidentally running into each other in the huge city of LA at the exact right time to cause a misunderstanding (which we now have to beat each other up about).

I also just don't buy Robby as a squeaky-clean hero kid and expert karate competitor like 3 months after he starts training. They spent so much time building him up as the rear end in a top hat delinquent and Miguel as a new protagonist that the shift makes no sense. Sam only exists to play the role of "love interest", and Tory exists entirely to be "evil love interest". I still have no idea what purpose the gamer kid little brother serves.

And as much as Tommy's death was supposed to be a sad and tragic moment, I couldn't help laughing that the final shot of the "get him a bodybag" guy was being zipped up in a bodybag. I'm sure it was meant to be ironic and symbolic, but it came off morbidly hilarious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was hilarious. I thought they were going for that joke.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is a recommendation, but we just watched 800 Words on Acorn. It's a mostly sunshiny comedy/drama set in a small town in NZ. The local characters are appropriately quirky and good natured, and are the main reason we kept watching the show. The plots are pretty bland and there's way too much conflict generated by characters not just talking to other characters. I doubt I would have given it the time of day if it were a us network show but it sort of worked as a vacation binge.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Retrowave Joe posted:

The new Christmas episode of Euphoria is fantastic. Really solid bottle episode full of great points.

Euphoria is one of the best things on TV. I’m glad it won some awards.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm watching The Untamed, a Chinese martial arts/fantasy show on Netflix. It's based off a Xanxia novel, which is a popular genre of fantasy in China based around powering up and fighting things forever, incorporating various daoist ideas.

The CGI is terrible but the whole thing is somehow very charming.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was hilarious. I thought they were going for that joke.

The only reason I didn't think it was intentionally funny is because the actor was actually sick at the time and has since died, so if it was played for laughs holy gently caress that's morbid.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finally decided to watch Peaky Binders and we have flown through the first 3 seasons. I like it, but man it can be ridiculous. I mean like Sons of Anarchy ridiculous.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nate fisher posted:

Finally decided to watch Peaky Binders and we have flown through the first 3 seasons. I like it, but man it can be ridiculous. I mean like Sons of Anarchy ridiculous.
but hey it's fun

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It’s fun as hell and a lot better than SoA ever was. Its just in my mind I thought the show would be a lot more grounded.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Currently chaining a few DS9 eps,and then gear switching to The Librarians when space war gets too heavy. And back again when I need a break from YA schmaltz

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a really good DS9 documentary for free on Youtube when you're done. The writers go through what season 8 would have been like.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a really good DS9 documentary for free on Youtube when you're done. The writers go through what season 8 would have been like.

Ooh please, do you have the title?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I assume it's What we've left behind

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I watched Manhunt: Deadly Games on Netflix this week and it was quite enjoyable. It's not on the level of Mindhunter but it scratches that same true(-ish) crime itch. It's also a much better examination of Richard Jewell than that Eastwood movie. The show itself sometimes dips into cheesy procedural territory but it's elevated by multiple incredible performances, particularly Cameron Britton as Richard Jewell, Judith Light as his mother, Carla Gugino as journalist Kathy Scruggs, and Arliss Howard as a fictional ATF agent.

I also highly recommend the first season, Manhunt: Unabomber.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sloth Life posted:

Ooh please, do you have the title?

Oops yeah I meant to link it. Not sure how long it will be free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHixW9PLsAc

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We finished The Night Manager, a six part slow burn spy/intrigue thriller on Prime starring Hugh Laurie, Olivia Coleman, and Tom Hiddleston. It was OK but didn't fully grab either of us. The performances were good but somehow we thought it might have done better as a movie rather than a 6 hour series, plus some plausibility problems and issues with the ending.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Midway through the first season of The Boys. Enjoying it so far bug just hoping it doesn't get bogged down in the big conspiracy plot to keep having fun with the premise.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Two episodes into The Queens Gambit on Netflix and it's really good so far. Who even needs movies when TV shows look this good

I don't really know anything about chess and it's still massively entertaining to me. Possibly because most of it seems to be about the characters themselves

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 30, 2020

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We finished The Night Manager, a six part slow burn spy/intrigue thriller on Prime starring Hugh Laurie, Olivia Coleman, and Tom Hiddleston. It was OK but didn't fully grab either of us. The performances were good but somehow we thought it might have done better as a movie rather than a 6 hour series, plus some plausibility problems and issues with the ending.

It completely falls apart once it strays significantly from Le Carre's novel. The first half of the series is quite faithful to Le Carre's style but then it decides it wants to become a James Bond adaptation.

Smiley's People is still by far the best Le Carre TV adaptation. It's honestly one of the best TV shows the UK has produced. It's a huge shame BBC didn't have the budget to do The Honourable Schoolboy with Alec Guinness.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just started season 1 of Superstore. Seems pretty funny so far, reminds me a little of my Circuit City tenure.

Also, has the Animal Control dude from Parks and Rec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Superstore is charming and fun, with surprising good satire and sparsely but efective use of black comedy. It's a breeze to watch too.

Saw the first season of the wilds, about a group of misfit teenagers that become stranded in a island after a plane crash. Its pretty good, the group's dinamics is interesting and learning the history of why each of the girls are there is engaging. I found it less interesting when the conspiracy plot unfolded. Based on the season ending it will either became absolutely mental or completely implode with stupidity.
Dot is the best.