Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Laughing at how quickly Coach Cal has gone from "Of course our early season is rough, we have a rough schedule!" to "Yeah, I guess we suck."

Hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Statistical proof Kentucky does, in fact, suck this year.
https://mobile.twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/1343316616524800002

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
sublime

https://twitter.com/njithoops/status/1343676363765669888?s=21

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Michigan State is bad.

University of Evansville won their first conference game since the 18-19 season, beating previously undefeated Southern Illinois.

Maryland somehow won at Wisconsin tonight.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

More important news:

https://twitter.com/cdcole55/status/1343750955628683269

Hummel is really good in the color spot and in studio.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Dunno if this is a better or worse idea than just playing through it, middle fingers high. Probably something NC State should be considering, at least.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1344003350875017218?s=20

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

northwestern is ranked 19

mmhmm very normal season we have going on

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

elentar posted:

Dunno if this is a better or worse idea than just playing through it, middle fingers high. Probably something NC State should be considering, at least.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1344003350875017218?s=20

I prefer middle fingers up. This year's team wasn't a title team but I actually thought they had a chance for an upset or two if they could make the tournament. But I guess it's probably better to wipe a year like that away than risk a year in the future with higher aspirations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's a year where they might not make it anyway and there's probably still at least some chance the tournament doesn't even happen so if you're gonna do it might as well be this year

Declan MacManus posted:

northwestern is ranked 19

mmhmm very normal season we have going on

Yeah it loving sucks they were supposed to be one of the like 3 nights off in the big ten

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

It's a year where they might not make it anyway and there's probably still at least some chance the tournament doesn't even happen so if you're gonna do it might as well be this year

Yeah it loving sucks they were supposed to be one of the like 3 nights off in the big ten

i'll see you in hell!!!!

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Ron Harper has an ankle injury and everyone is getting hurt for Rutgers now. Let's see if they can hang on with multiple injuries against Purdue.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Ron Harper has an ankle injury and everyone is getting hurt for Rutgers now. Let's see if they can hang on with multiple injuries against Purdue.

They also can't buy a call in this game either. They are the ranked team and they are home... How about a loving whistle?

Gutty win against a team they are better than. Gotta love with Miles did and Young is clutch down the stretch at the line.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 30, 2020

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/BJRains/status/1344085969692192768

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The Big Ten makes sense again. MSU is just bad, and people overreacted to a few games because they didn't realize that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've been to games involving unaccredited Christian high schools in better facilities than that. The floor does look hardwood, but I'm holding out hope that it's actually tile.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Bears watching
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1345195461775388673?s=20
edit: in the meantime, the game as a whole has also been postponed due to a positive test and quarantine measures among the Florida State team.

elentar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 2, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Arizona is going to win the PAC-12 and be able to just say “gosh who knows what would have happened if we went to the tournament “ which is pretty much Sean Miller’s dream season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Arizona is going to win the PAC-12 and be able to just say “gosh who knows what would have happened if we went to the tournament “ which is pretty much Sean Miller’s dream season.

it should probably be usc but their coach sucks so loving bad. Oregon is also pretty good though

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 3, 2021

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I don't think MSU is "back", but if they've improved, and then the Big Ten gives them bullshit calls when Rutgers plays them, I will be extremely mad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

I don't think MSU is "back", but if they've improved, and then the Big Ten gives them bullshit calls when Rutgers plays them, I will be extremely mad.

were you just very impressed by them beating nebraska by 7 points or something what prompted this lol

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The Nebraska win implies they're #70 or so. They had been playing like a sub-200 team. I am just paranoid enough that I'm waiting for Boroski to ref the game and give it to Izzo on a silver platter. That's what the last four years of the Big Ten has taught me. It does seem crazy that they'd be that bad, and I think the Nebraska performance is probably more representative of who they are.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Shooting like 20% against Minnesota was obviously an outlier. This is not a great MSU team but they’re not gonna miss the tournament or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

The Nebraska win implies they're #70 or so. They had been playing like a sub-200 team. I am just paranoid enough that I'm waiting for Boroski to ref the game and give it to Izzo on a silver platter. That's what the last four years of the Big Ten has taught me. It does seem crazy that they'd be that bad, and I think the Nebraska performance is probably more representative of who they are.

nebraska is one of the worst major conference teams in the country not even covering the spread against them is pretty bad! MSU is like 52 in KenPom even with preseason projections (where they were 15) still being included as part of the rating, they're not good.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

I wish I had a tenth of this dude's confidence

https://twitter.com/NEblessed_20/status/1345860463284908032

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
i mean he'll be a professional basketball player somewhere even if it's not the NBA and risking covid to play for one of the worst teams in the country seems extra pointless

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 4, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Nojel Eastern is the new Brandon Kirsch

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

MourningView posted:

i mean he'll be a professional basketball player somewhere even if it's not the NBA and risking covid to play for one of the worst teams in the country seems extra pointless

If he wants to go, he'll get on with a team in Europe, not in the top EuroLeague, but he's got the size and athletic ability to carve out a decent career overseas. Even in those lower leagues his complete inability to shoot is going to be a liability.

I was curious to see how he would have done at Howard, but the NCAA hosed around with his transfer eligibility, and it looks like they're only going to get 2 games out of Makur Maker due to injury. Lots of what-ifs for them this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well it looks like the northwestern dream is coming to an end but they've already won more big ten games than i thought this year and they are actually running a fun offense so i'll take it.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I hate that this year I will never leave work early on a Tuesday to make a 6 PM game against Northwestern at the Kohl Center to just scream BOO BUIE over and over.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Coco13 posted:

I hate that this year I will never leave work early on a Tuesday to make a 6 PM game against Northwestern at the Kohl Center to just scream BOO BUIE over and over.

i agree boo buie owns

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Bah boo buie

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Drake is 12-0. They've played absolutely no one, but still, pretty cool. DeVries is a hell of a coach, hopefully him being an Iowa guy means they can hang on to him a little longer than they usually do when they have a good coach.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

They confirmed that the entirety of the NCAAT will be played within the borders of Indiana: https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1346128131468517378?s=20

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Every year I hope for an early round to be in or near Chicago and then they do it THIS year. :mad:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
white sports writers are going to jerk themselves raw if hinkle gets the final four

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

I'm Ball State (from Muncie) "hosting" a tournament game in Indianapolis (an hour away from their actual arena)

edit: also I'm annoyed they're doing this but not roping in all the division 1 schools to at least host early round poo poo. Evansville, Indiana State (Terre Haute), Ball State (Muncie), Purdue-Fort Wayne, Valparaiso

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Peanut President posted:

I'm Ball State (from Muncie) "hosting" a tournament game in Indianapolis (an hour away from their actual arena)

edit: also I'm annoyed they're doing this but not roping in all the division 1 schools to at least host early round poo poo. Evansville, Indiana State (Terre Haute), Ball State (Muncie), Purdue-Fort Wayne, Valparaiso

they do the distant "host" thing all the time, some member institution has to be designated host to coordinate everything

but i do think they should have made an effort to spread things out more, all of those would have been fine and also South Bend is right there. it's not like anywhere in the state is more than a bus ride away

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
yeah isu was the "host" school when they played first round games in des moines a couple years ago even though it's an hour away and there is a d1 school in des moines

indy is a good city to host stuff and probably makes the logistics a lot easier but it could have been fun to have it in smaller arenas if you're not gonna have fans anyway

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

yeah isu was the "host" school when they played first round games in des moines a couple years ago even though it's an hour away and there is a d1 school in des moines

indy is a good city to host stuff and probably makes the logistics a lot easier but it could have been fun to have it in smaller arenas if you're not gonna have fans anyway

I have driven from Ames to Des Moines enough to know you can get there in 30 minutes easily, well depending on what part of Des Moines I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I have driven from Ames to Des Moines enough to know you can get there in 30 minutes easily, well depending on what part of Des Moines I guess.

I'm on the south side where it's more like 50 minutes but whatever the point is there is another D1 school like 5 miles from the arena.