Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

this owned tho, I had two of them trucking along until a year or so ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I remember seeing a physical copy of this in a store once
i bought a physical copy of this in a store once, lol. it was amazing.

afaik bleem is the only emulator that was out at the same time as a major console and provided better performance and graphics on PC. it was written entirely in assembly and was just way fuckin better than anything else out there. with bleem i just had no reason to want a playstation, i could play twisted metal 4 all day for 40 bucks at higher res and with a better framerate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flash

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
the timex watch that synced your schedule by blasting your CRT at its face.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I had a copy of bleem, I remember playing chrono cross on an ibook

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i remember trying to convince people streaming was the future and theyd rightly ask me 'what can you watch on it?' which was nothing newer than the public domain cutoff

kitten emergency posted:

I had a copy of bleem, I remember playing chrono cross on an ibook

same, same, but on a windows desktop

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Midjack posted:

connectix virtual game station
i remember hearing that because of the way connectix was bought and chopped up, it’s likely that ancient connectix code still lives inside playstations, windows, and xboxes.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
holding down shift key on startup to disable extensions my mom installed from aol so chuck yeager's air combat would run better

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fack you posted:

holding down shift key on startup to disable extensions my mom installed from aol so chuck yeager's air combat would run better

same but my dad

maybe my dad was your mom?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

codec packs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Viewing videos with something that isn't VLC, lmao.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

dope music visualizers

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Unless posted:

dope music visualizers

AVS for winamp was the poo poo. big community on deviantart of people making presets back in the day, mainly dudes from sweden/finland for some reason

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Midjack posted:

connectix virtual game station

I loved this I played thru many psx games on my iMac. fuckiin os9 or the slot drive iMacs made fmvs run like poo poo. the tray drive iMacs were fine though.

amazing how trash psx emulation manages to be 20 years on.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

afaik bleem is the only emulator that was out at the same time as a major console and provided better performance and graphics on PC. it was written entirely in assembly and was just way fuckin better than anything else out there. with bleem i just had no reason to want a playstation, i could play twisted metal 4 all day for 40 bucks at higher res and with a better framerate.

the same was true for Connectix Virtual GameStation, hence the Sony lawsuit and eventual settlement (where Sony bought the product from Connectix rather than risk losing the suit, as Connectix had a pretty loving good defense and was well-prepared for the suit)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
QBASIC, bundled with the best video game of all time, Gorillas.bas

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I spent a lot of time writing qbasic adventure games during 8th/9th grade free periods

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

once I had had cross dos for my amiga

trying to run a game made for a 386

on my 16 bit amiga 500

i couldnt even use pc disks coz they were 1.44 mb i had to format my lame rear end 720kb disks as fat and give one to a mate for them to put a game on

i remember even cd and dir commands at the dos prompt taking many many seconds to work lol

turns out 68000s dont run much well if it wasnt designed exactly for it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Volmarias posted:

QBASIC, bundled with the best video game of all time, Gorillas.bas

i had a bright pink 5.25” floppy

and also a disk with gorillas.bas and nibbles.bas on it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

and also a disk with gorillas.bas and nibbles.bas on it

thats whats up

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

just remembered this hilarity

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Silver Alicorn posted:

lmao, I'd forgotten that

mystes
May 31, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

Was there something dumber about that than other AIOs?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

Was there something dumber about that than other AIOs?

uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OQRO8naOsc

yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that one's smaller but the idea is the same. they thought they could drive sales by having people schlep one big stupid gorilla arm touchscreen around their house and drop it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
That's too bad, I thought it was some kind of "here's a wall mounted computer to organize your smart home, play music, take grocery list notes, quickly look up things on the interwebs, etc." but they actually expected people to lug this thing around?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Silver Alicorn posted:

reminds me of the original Microsoft Surface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VfpVYYQzHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh9cOlVFItQ

"microsoft have not been working on this project anymore, which is a shame because I would really like an updated table in my living room running windows" :psyduck:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

do u all remember AMR slots?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio/modem_riser

for some loving reason part of my mind is forever filled with the knowledge of AMR

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no but i do thing about agp twice

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

echinopsis posted:

no but i do thing about agp twice

that short period of agp 8x before pci-e that was meaningless

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a computer with an AGP video card. it’s very advanced.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have a computer with an AGP video card. it’s very advanced.

I bought a computer with "AGP video" for thousands of marks and of course it was a video chip directly soldered onto the AGP bus and no AGP connector so when I upgraded I had to get a 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16MB PCI :bahgawd:

e: I think it was like 9 995 marks, drat.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
when i was like 12 i bought a video card at a marshalls for like $20, it was pci, not agp and i have no idea if it actually made my graphics any better but the box looked cool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

for some loving reason part of my mind is forever filled with the knowledge of AMR

i sure fucken do

remember the multi io cards that had 2 serial ports, a printer port, ide and floppy all on one?

fucken game changers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

when i was like 12 i bought a video card at a marshalls for like $20, it was pci, not agp and i have no idea if it actually made my graphics any better but the box looked cool

I paid 995 marks for the Voodoo 3 3000 and it was fine for playing Half-Life, MDK 2, The Operative No-One Lives Forever, etc.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I had a voodoo banshee because I needed a 2d and 3d card, those were the days.

I got half life free with it and that was like a third of the price so that was a pretty good deal imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i never had an AMR card but yeah i remember those doofy little bullshit slots