Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Shogunner posted:

if this thread fucks with smelt, do yourself a favor and find a seafood city in your area. it's a filipino grocery store, usually with a grill city or crispy town attached.

i rarely walk out without an order of crispy smelt and vinegar

That looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Can confirm Seafood City has baller fried smelt.

Alas the closest one to me is up in Seattle.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Planet X posted:

What did this look like and how did it work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5TqRfLcWBU

I guess I hung out with him while they ran it, but I have no memory. This was probably early 80's. The manufacturer is still in operation today and ships around the world.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

Can confirm Seafood City has baller fried smelt.

Alas the closest one to me is up in Seattle.

https://www.seafoodcity.com/true-filipino-goodness/balikbayan/

I don't and just cant.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

fish per minute

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Glad to see this thread is still going strong, even though I haven't 'dined in far too long.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Big Beef City posted:

In Wisconsin, in early spring time pretty much 'the week after the ice clears' on the rivers, it's smelt season, and you will see Dads of all shapes and ages out there with dip nets (square fish nets that are attached with a rope to either a pole or a 2x4 and using another beam as a lever) and they will wait a bit and then hoist the nets from the river, bringing up smelt.

When they get home, they and their family will use a scissors to make "the sign of the cross" on the fish. One across the neck, then one down the belly. Then run your finger down it to gut it, and toss it into a clean bowl of water.

Here is one cheat code: when you throw your dip net into the river, get the brightest flashlight you got and shine it at it. This attracts the smelt. Wait about 4-5 minutes and haul 'er up.

I've been told (I'm nearing 40) that before I was even around, a guy (or gal) could go down to the river during smelt season and literally catch a 5 gallon bucket full and never think twice about it. ie: more smelt than a family could process or even want from just an hour or so's work.
These days...you're lucky to catch a meal's worth in a night. At least, last time I tried which...well, drat was like 20 years ago now lol holy poo poo. Maybe and hopefully things have got better here on the Wisco side of lake michigan and someone can pipe in.

Smelt numbers in Wisconsin are way down from half a century ago, which by itself is probably good for lake ecology in L Michigan and L Superior since they displaced native species. I'm afraid it might also be a case of total biomass of all Great Lakes fish going down though, in part because of zebra and quagga mussels. I remember people catching respectable numbers on McKinley Pier in Milwaukee maybe 2-3 years ago but very few since. Back in the 70s my dad used to bring home buckets full that friends who caught garbage cans full didn't need. I still love to fry a bunch up but I buy Canadian ones frozen.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MetaJew posted:

Got my KO cod liver cans and KO cod liver and roe pate.

A little disappointed that the cod liver cans are dated 2018 but the expiration is 2023 so I guess it's okay.

Send ideas on how I should eat each of the six cans (3 of each) ITT. Pls and ty.

Update on cod liver, and cod liver and roe pate

The KO cod liver alone is dope in fisherman's eggs and shakshouka.

The KO Cod Liver and Roe Pate is pretty good on fresh sourdough I just made. A little fishy and salty, maybe not as rich tasting as just the cod liver alone. However, It's salty or strong enough that I don't think I can eat a whole can in one sitting, so I popped maybe 2/3's or 1/2 of it in the fridge for later dining. :dadjoke:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
whoever smelt it

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Friday, Saturday and Sunday the supermarkets were all closed and I was running out of food.

I have been saved by the 'dines

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
during Xmastide charcuterie I put caviar on reindeer sausage and now I can speak Norwegian

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Empty Sandwich posted:

during Xmastide charcuterie I put caviar on reindeer sausage and now I can speak Norwegian

had it been pickled herring you'd be able to recite icelandic sagas, which reminds me I had none this year :/ I usually get at least SOME

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The fish is a bit disappointing, but the sauce is pretty good. I wish I'd made rice so I could make better use of it.

E: it's fried mackerel in chili sauce, from Thailand.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 29, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i don't see the smile on that fish tbh

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Shogunner posted:

if this thread fucks with smelt, do yourself a favor and find a seafood city in your area. it's a filipino grocery store, usually with a grill city or crispy town attached.

i rarely walk out without an order of crispy smelt and vinegar

That looks so tasty oh my goodness. Trying to remember what sauce we had with them when I was a kid—probably tartar sauce. But now I wanna know what’s in that little bowl there.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

poverty goat posted:

The fish is a bit disappointing, but the sauce is pretty good. I wish I'd made rice so I could make better use of it.

E: it's fried mackerel in chili sauce, from Thailand.

Should I be concerned? I was going to use this in Shakshouka.

:ohdear:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dine thread I uhhh I've moved on to the harder stuff. I'm heavy into the 'chove scene now. it's a little like freebasing 'dines. smaller, saltier, fishier....just like wow. I'll uhhh put up some photos after I crash.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Put the anchovy on the sardine.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I made vinaigrette with the anchovies and the oil and the garlic and vinegars I used to marinate the anchovies. it is so good that it got me high. I could put some on a salad and then top the salad with dines

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Put the anchovy on the sardine.

:psypop:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The Voice of Labor posted:

I made vinaigrette with the anchovies and the oil and the garlic and vinegars I used to marinate the anchovies. it is so good that it got me high. I could put some on a salad and then top the salad with dines
is this even legal????

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
a turducken, but it's 10 fish of different sizes all stuffed into each other, terminating in an anchovy stuffed in a sardine

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I made a classic recipe for Christmas: a herring "seduction" (viettelys is what they call it). It was amazing.

- two matjes herring fillets (pick up the good stuff from a Nordic grocery for authenticity! The jarred stuff from IKEA will also do in a pinch, you just gotta dice the pieces a lot smaller)
- a crisp apple, Granny Smith will do
- a red onion
- two boiled eggs
- 1/2 dl of salty pickled cucumber, cubed

For the sauce, mix together

- a 120g can of smetana
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 tbsp mustard
- dash of sugar or honey

Chop everything into teeny-tiny cubes and put in a bowl. Mix in the smetana sauce. Garnish with thinly sliced red onion and chopped dill and serve on very dark bread or blinis.

I didn't take any pictures, sorry! Here's an example of what you're aiming at: https://www.sillikoulu.fi/recipes/isoaidin-silliviettelys-1928/

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

The Voice of Labor posted:

drat, homie, you trying to summon Poseidon? Cause that's how you summon Poseidon.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

how I accidentally made the best salad dressing

lately I've been on a chove kick

the usual method of chove preparation is to soak them in vinegar to alleviate some of the saltiness

the last tin of napoleans I got, I dumped the choves and oil into a container, added about a big tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and maybe 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar, enough that there were roughly equal parts oil and vinegar. I also chopped up a few cloves of garlic. I let that sit for a day then ate some of the chove fillets on a salad, the day after that I ate the remaining chove fillets on crackers. I saved the oil/vinegar/garlic mixture though.

a few days later the wife brought back some tins of star anchovies. these things were a mess of oil, fish chunks and bones, totally disintegrated. so I dumped a tin and its oil into the oil and vinegar I had saved, added another hefty slug of balsamic vinegar and again enough red wine vinegar to get roughly even amounts of oil and vinegars. I then added, I dunno, maybe a heaping teaspoon of trader joes dijon mustard and a few shakes of black pepper. mixed it all up real good and....uhhh

goddamn

it's so good

so so good

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

It's been a while since I've bought some KO anchovies. I ate em plain out of the tin. The bones are more noticeable since it wasn't stored in olive oil but not too distracting. Completely safe to eat.

Suddenly there was a day a few years ago where I bought some and bit into it and the texture was... weird. Mushier than usual? I don't remember, other than wondering if this was sitting in a high temp truck for hours on end or something. I later bought more and gave it another try - same issue. That's when I stopped buying them.

Now that I'm speaking my mind about this past situation, I think I'll give em another try. They're pretty cheap price wise. Will report results

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Big Beef City posted:

had it been pickled herring you'd be able to recite icelandic sagas, which reminds me I had none this year :/ I usually get at least SOME

I haven't had any Sologa in years and I can feel my swedish ancestry drifting away

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Scrotum Modem posted:

It's been a while since I've bought some KO anchovies. I ate em plain out of the tin. The bones are more noticeable since it wasn't stored in olive oil but not too distracting. Completely safe to eat.

Suddenly there was a day a few years ago where I bought some and bit into it and the texture was... weird. Mushier than usual? I don't remember, other than wondering if this was sitting in a high temp truck for hours on end or something. I later bought more and gave it another try - same issue. That's when I stopped buying them.

Now that I'm speaking my mind about this past situation, I think I'll give em another try. They're pretty cheap price wise. Will report results

Been my experience with KO anchovies, not consistant at all. Decent purchase as an ingredient in something, alone I'd spend more on a better brand.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What cheeses go well on a cracker with the chovies? I’ve been doing goat cheese and it’s great, but I’m looking to branch out.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think mild cheeses would get overwhelmed by anchovies, though if you go the other way & use a soft cheese as a base for an anchovy spread it could be pretty good.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I would think feta would work. Pretty similar to goat though. Just regular cream cheese would be lighter and still hold up to them. I could see cream cheese, capers, and fresh, minced parsley being a good combo.
You could try a sharp cheddar, or a cheddar spread if you have that in your area, though at that point I think your sodium levels would be just plain unenjoyable.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

What cheeses go well on a cracker with the chovies? I’ve been doing goat cheese and it’s great, but I’m looking to branch out.

A nice, rich ricotta is the best compliment to anchovies. Especially with a little hot chili oil.

Edit: definitely more of a bread thing than a cracker thing though.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 31, 2020

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Salt packed anchovies are so much better than canned fillets. They usually come in fairly large jars or cans, like a pound or more. You only pull out a few days' worth at a time. Wash them, pull the fillets off of the bones, maybe soak the fillets in water or water/vinegar or milk for a few hours, then chill them in a dish of olive oil with cracked pepper and maybe a slice or two of chile for a day. Eat until gone and then start again.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i always wanted one of those honkin big tins of chovies

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i always wanted one of those honkin big tins of chovies

I have done it, and buddy, lemme tell you, I'm going to do it again.

I tossed them into everything savory I cooked and also my mouth

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I sent my dad some canned, smoked trout and other goodness for his birthday tomorrow, I hope it arrives in time. Cole's Seafood does good work.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

new year's chove burg

tomato's kinda miserable but it's also one that I picked green when the frost started setting in and which has been "shelf ripening" over the toaster oven. that it's been, like , 1 1/2-2 months and that it's now ripe makes me understand why supermarket tomatos suck in a profound way. though they are a marvel of breeding and logistics they are a marvel that should not be. it's still cool as hell on a personal agricultural level though.

choves were marinated in a mix of top of the line wine carlo rossi (burgundy) and red wine vinegar. the rossi was way sweeter than I remember it being. maybe not the best for drinking, but it gave the choves a real nice balance, offsetting the saltiness and the vinegariness and it gave them a pretty nice wine flavor.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm gonna do it thread. soon. anchovy on sardine on mackerel. I could even open up a can of salmon for a base and roll four fish deep

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
you always post delicious things when I'm hungry and I haven't had sardines all day and I can't find any and gosh dangit I just want some canned fishies

edit: yay i just found a can of (cheap and probably terrible) salmon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I have, to my shame, but one child while I have many canned fish.

friend, you have many children yet few canned fish.

the best solution, the only real solution, I can see is to start a cannery and staff it with your offspring, thus rebalancing the canned fish/child equation