Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

hot take: The 2016 Cubs championship was the result of an incredible confluence of good fortune and that core was never as long-term robust as people thought

Here are the top 10 2016 Cubs by bWAR that year:

Bryant (7.3) - MVP, career highs in bWAR, OPS+, HR
Rizzo (5.8) - 3rd best season by OPS+, has not reached that level since. 2nd best by bWAR, career high HR
Lester (5.5) - career best ERA, ERA+, CY finish (2nd), highest bWAR since 2009
Hendricks (5.2) - career best ERA, ERA+, bWAR, CY finish (3rd)
Arrieta (4.5) - second best season of his career, nothing but downhill since
Fowler (4.0) - career high bWAR (no other season over 2.6) & OPS+
Russell (3.7) - career high bWAR (no other season over 2.8) & OPS+
Zobrist (3.4) - basically a career-average year for him
Baez (2.8) - one of the few to have multiple better seasons since 2016
Lackey (2.9) - the last productive season of his career

They had 7 guys produce either a career-best or near-career best season all at the same time. Of these top ten, Baez is the only one who hasn't seen significant decline since 2016. And their farm system produced no one on this level since then either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

How many teams are actually trying to win
In the NL:
Dodgers
Padres
Atlanta
Phillies?
Nats?
Mets?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Trout's contract says the Angels were trying recently, not sure if we're trying now

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

hot take: The 2016 Cubs championship was the result of an incredible confluence of good fortune and that core was never as long-term robust as people thought

Here are the top 10 2016 Cubs by bWAR that year:

They had 7 guys produce either a career-best or near-career best season all at the same time. Of these top ten, Baez is the only one who hasn't seen significant decline since 2016. And their farm system produced no one on this level since then either.

Yeah at face value I'm kind of annoyed, but glancing at our recently-non-tendered large beef boy who wasted his peak value, I don't actually mind selling two guys on an upswing at this point

Poque fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 30, 2020

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
They Royals brought Ervin Santana out of retirement. They are clearly looking to make a championship run.

But seriously, even though they are bad, with signing Santana, Santana, and Minor, at least they are picking up players i lind of like for sentimental reasons. That's better than tanking with a bunch of nobodies.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Yeah at face value I'm kind of annoyed, but glancing at our recently-non-tendered large beef boy who wasted his peak value, I don't actually mind selling two guys on an upswing at this point

I get why it is happening, watching the Cubs this summer it was pretty obvious something like this was coming the prospects that where supposed to be the core never panned out. Happ is still a possibility but we have nothing left in the farm and no real pitching anymore besides Hendricks/Darvish.

It just sucks to see your favourite players (Darvish) get shuffled off for an obvious salary dump and a handful of super young prospects who may never make it anywhere. Although reading the prospect analysis ChiTownEddie posted makes me feel a bit better as they were more bullish on some of the younger guys development this year that isn't reflected in their prospect rankings right now.

It's just hard to get hyped for a tank, especially after losing Len Kasper to the White Sox and the move to Marquee just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

alpha_destroy posted:

They Royals brought Ervin Santana out of retirement. They are clearly looking to make a championship run.

But seriously, even though they are bad, with signing Santana, Santana, and Minor, at least they are picking up players i lind of like for sentimental reasons. That's better than tanking with a bunch of nobodies.

Just need Butler and Gordon back

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
that cubs core won over 90 games 4 years in a row but not every team can be the dodgers i guess

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Just need Butler and Gordon back

gently caress it, why not?

But seriously, if we get fans in the stands this year I hope they can bring Gordon in on a one day contract so he can at least get a real ovation.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

that cubs core won over 90 games 4 years in a row but not every team can be the dodgers i guess
correct

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Dodgers and the Cubs have won the same number of World Series this millennium.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

uggy posted:

Legit, fans pray for this run

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

bawfuls posted:

Look at this Eloy and Gleyber erasure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/1344126641241432065

LOL I guess he doesn't want a one year deal?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Bullshit posted:

Look at this Eloy and Gleyber erasure.
that's what makes the whole situation very Cub

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Twitter user “Feddie” has some thoughts on Mookie Betts:

https://twitter.com/edwwater/status/1344077249465610241?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrMojok posted:

I guess they got Internet in Southie....

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Padres twitter has been feeling themselves with these trades, ah the heady days of "winning the winter"

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

MrMojok posted:

"Not a good defensive player."

Feddie Feeman is just upset his homer got robbed in the NLCS.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

not everyone can root for a superteam that chokes every year in the playoffs except in the asterisk plague year i guess

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am sorry bawfuls but you have crossed the line and now my position is The Astros Did Nothing Wrong

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Playoffs in 5 of 6 years. A WS and two losses in the NLCS. Seems like a good run any Cubs fan would have taken a decade ago.

Cubs offensive players were always overrated but their pitching was underrated.

Didn't have a problem moving Darvish, but that haul is trash.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

no one enjoys a good dunk on the Cubs franchise as much as Cubs fans

Intruder posted:

Tonight we are all Cubsposters

i'm sorry your owners are terrible and did a poor job maximizing their self-imposed window Cubs fans

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am sorry bawfuls but you have crossed the line and now my position is The Astros Did Nothing Wrong

Mangles no

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

On a lighter note, a fun way to look at "championship windows" or stretches of good teams is with yet another goofy points system from Bill James. (9 years ago he was still occasionally spitting out interesting thoughts about baseball in between weird spasms of hypercontrarian twitter trolling)

By that accounting, this Cubs team peaked at 10 "dynasty points" after 2018, which ties them with the SuperBarrold Giants & mid-60's Cardinals. Other updated totals since that 2011 blog post that aren't on the leaderboard at the end:

2010-2014 Giants - 11 (impressively low total for a run with 3 titles)
2007-2011 Phillies - 15
2002-2018 Red Sox - 18
2000-2015 Cardinals - 24
2013-present Dodgers - 24 (23 if you don't give them credit for 100 win pace this year)
1994-present Yankees - 54

The top of the all time leaderboard is largely unsurprising
code:
1947-1964 	Yankees	- 68
1920-1943 	Yankees	- 60
1994-present 	Yankees	- 54
1991-2005 	Atlanta	- 39
1964-1973 	Orioles	- 32
1946-1966 	Dodgers	- 28
1904-1912 	Cubs	- 25
2000-2015 	Cards	- 24
2013-present 	Dodgers	- 24
1941-1949 	Cards	- 23
The addition of the wild card game kept the current Yankees streak alive, with their 87-win WCG loss in 2015, otherwise it would have ended that year with a peak of 50.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 30, 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jays get close but lose out on top import talent, as is tradition. As is tradition.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
i can't believe i looked into that but

they get -2 for 2019 and +2 for 2020 if you count prorated wins like you did later for the dodgers so it's a 6 year run that's at 10 which doesn't seem that bad considering most teams don't approach anything like that in a decade

ya lol one of the best 50 dynasties ever if you go by his list and your additions

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

General Bullshit posted:

Yankees
Dodgers
Padres
White Sox?
Braves?

I think that is it.

Aren't the Yankees letting their best hitter over the last two seasons leave over a small difference in contract demands

e: I see Bauer is trending on twitter and he's asking for a higher AAV than Cole? :stare:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 30, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

i can't believe i looked into that but

they get -2 for 2019 and +2 for 2020 if you count prorated wins like you did later for the dodgers so it's a 6 year run that's at 10 which doesn't seem that bad considering most teams don't approach anything like that in a decade

ya lol one of the best 50 dynasties ever if you go by his list and your additions
it is an impressive run considering the franchise and ownership handicaps i agree

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
just gotta make the playoffs once in the next 4 years and they'll be at 10 for 10 years which is a longer time period than a lot of teams on that list - obviously ya that would go against the hot take since it's a different core but i guess i think that core did a lot, it's hard to be that good for 4 straight years. the fact they won 90 games each year and only won the division twice shouldn't be held against them when the central was really top heavy those years.

edit: cleveland is at 9 over the last 5 years but would be at 10 plus if their 93 wins in 2019 got them into the playoffs. they'd be at 11 if that had taken the division

edit2: vv of course, just in context of the hot take at the top of the page i was commenting on how the long run wouldn't feel necessarily the same

uggy fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 30, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the longest runs all have lots of turnover by necessity, just look at those top three Yankee runs of 20+ years each

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
11 dynasty points and 3 rings to 24 dynasty points and one asterisk title hell yeah baby

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The lowest possible dynasty points for 3-in-5 would be 9, so 11 is impressive imo.

The lowest possible dynasty points for a stretch of any length with 3 titles would be 6 but that takes 7 years

Giants also had a 14-year run of winning seasons from 1958-1971 which peaked at only 6 points somehow

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 30, 2020

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
also fyi the cardinals and red sox totals are still present and running since they havne't gone to zero yet

as somebody who doesn't count the prorated season that the dodgers had, the cardinals present total of 24 from 2000-2020 is actually second highest present cause the yankjees suck

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

also fyi the cardinals and red sox totals are still present and running since they havne't gone to zero yet
The run also ends if a team goes 3 straight years without adding points, so 16-18 ended the Cards run and a new one started in '19. That Cards stretch makes an interesting comparison to the current Dodgers. Same point total but 16 vs 8 years.

The Red Sox technically are still alive yes but to stay alive they must win 90 games or make the postseason in '21 so I'd put those odds at fairly low

This does bring up the postseason accounting, IMO the "you made the postseason" point should only count if you make the Division series. The blog post was written before the WCG and the recent Yankees are an example of that game extending a streak that feels like it should be split in two. (They won 87 games and lost the WCG, with two sub-90 win, no-playoffs seasons before and 1 after that year.)

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 30, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the Mets have given out 2 of the 4 biggest FA contracts so far so I think it's fair to say they're trying to win

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Putting this in the Jesus Christ category

https://twitter.com/jclarknbcs/status/1343937897267867648?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the same as last year then

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Who'd they get to replace Len? The guy who does all those monologues/racist rants for all the Sinclair stations?

Sheesh this very obvious cash grab makes me mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
ZiPS projections are coming out. The Mariners are uh, not great:

Basically it expects Kyle Lewis to come crashing down to earth after his ROTY season, Evan White not to improve, and basically our starters are at best #3 quality. Left field is woof.