Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have a good relatively recent citation - article or book whatever - on Spanish and Portuguese warfare 1570 to 1590 or so, especially ca. the Iberian succession crisis? I'm looking for info both on tactical stuff and martial cultures. I'm as interested in contemporary perception as in reality here, so anything that slips into Black Legend stuff is actually a-ok, so long as it's not crossing its own wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

the paradigm shift posted:

What do you mean by trains

A whacking big long fing wiv an engine onna front

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

marvin heemeyer has entered the chat

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Fearless posted:

Yeah but we didn't do it this time

or the last time, really

hush, "a noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Trin Tragula posted:

A whacking big long fing wiv an engine onna front

My penis!?!?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Xiahou Dun posted:

My penis!?!?

*theme from Thomas the Tank Engine muffled by Xiahou Sun's trousers.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Are there any popular audience, at least relatively, English language books on the Russo Japanese war?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nebakenezzer posted:

hush, "a noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man"

When the Harper gov't rolled out that ludicrous War of 1812 bicentennial as a way of trying to gin up Canadian nationalism, a part of that was a lapel pin that all CF members were expected to wear. The LCdr that I worked for showed up for work not long after they were issued without his and when questioned he said his pin had been accidentally smashed with a hammer and thrown into a field.

That's my contribution to the study of the War of 1812, thanks for listening.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I once got into an argument with a Canadian who was claiming that Canadians were the ones who burnt the White House, and after I said that it was done by British Army regulars, he said they were honorary Canadians. After I asked him why Canadians shouldn't also be considered responsible for every war crime committed by the British Army before independence (which I said should be considered 1931, although 1982 is probably a more correct date), he proceeded to call me a Trump lover.

BIGBONGTHEORY
Apr 17, 2007
Stupid Dickfaced Moron

icantfindaname posted:

Are there any popular audience, at least relatively, English language books on the Russo Japanese war?

I enjoyed Tsar's Last Armada but it is very focused on Rozhestvensky and not the rest of the war.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Fearless posted:

When the Harper gov't rolled out that ludicrous War of 1812 bicentennial as a way of trying to gin up Canadian nationalism, a part of that was a lapel pin that all CF members were expected to wear. The LCdr that I worked for showed up for work not long after they were issued without his and when questioned he said his pin had been accidentally smashed with a hammer and thrown into a field.

That's my contribution to the study of the War of 1812, thanks for listening.

Crying and weeping and thanking that man for his service here

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
When WW2 aircraft are described as having "cannons," what do they mean exactly?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Tree Bucket posted:

When WW2 aircraft are described as having "cannons," what do they mean exactly?

20mm or larger caliber automatic cannons. So there "cannon" is short for "autocannon."

There were some planes that carried actual cannons but those were sorta rare.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Little more detail. WWII aircraft guns basivally fall into four tiers.

The first is rifle-caliber machine guns. These generally use the same basic round as the nation's service rifle (7-8mm), and are the least effective. Most nations used them in the early war, but they were generally abandoned as insufficient in later designs.

The second is the heavy machine gun, in the 12-14mm range. These were significantly more powerful, and were quite popular. The US used this class of weapon almost exclusively, because the US autocannon sucked and the HMG was more than adequate against the fighters that were US aircraft's main target.

Then there are the standard autocannon i. the 20-30mm range. Everyone used these, with the Germans going very heavy on them - German cannon were quite good, and the main thing German p!a es were shooting at were well-armored bombers that took a lot of punishment to bring down.

The last is oddballs - stuff that didn't fit neatly into any system. Heavy cannon for ground attack (such as the 75mm mounted on later B-25s), the long cannon experimentally mounted on the Me 262 to destroy a bomner with ine shot, stuff like that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

White Coke posted:

I once got into an argument with a Canadian who was claiming that Canadians were the ones who burnt the White House, and after I said that it was done by British Army regulars, he said they were honorary Canadians. After I asked him why Canadians shouldn't also be considered responsible for every war crime committed by the British Army before independence (which I said should be considered 1931, although 1982 is probably a more correct date), he proceeded to call me a Trump lover.

We were involved since the US invaded Canada during the war, it's unclear to me if there were any Canadian troops serving in those specific regiments (whether they settled in Canada after the war or if any of those regiments were raised in Canada or transferred from Canadian militia's to regular British army service) that took part in Cochrane's operation. So while its probably not the specific case of specifically Canadian troops burning down the white house there were Canadian forces engaging with American troops during the war of 1812 (I can see the argument of the troops serving in those regiments being "honourary" canadians if for example, they had largely en mass resettled in Canada afterwards, like the Loyalists who fled to Canada).

As for the question as to, whether war crimes by the British army (or at least shared responsibility exists) I think that's a more complicated question. Are Ukrainians just as responsible for what Russian troops did during WW2? Are Native troops serving in the US military during WW2 share in responsibility? That seems like a complicated question because there's probably innumerable examples of subjugated/integrated peoples serving in a broader empire's military service (think about all the different nationalities serving in the Austro-Hungarian military!) .

Also to quibble, 1867 is when Canada is largely recognized as becoming a "country" even if under Dominion status. We weren't truly independent until 1931 and yes the Constitution Act was in 82', but I think its fair to share in both the glories and responsibilities and to be accountable for all conflicts we were involved in from at least 1867.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Gnoman posted:

The last is oddballs - stuff that didn't fit neatly into any system. Heavy cannon for ground attack (such as the 75mm mounted on later B-25s), the long cannon experimentally mounted on the Me 262 to destroy a bomner with ine shot, stuff like that.

Another example of these was the autoloading 6-pdr/57 mm fitted to some Mosquitoes of Coastal Command for punching holes in surfaced U-boats

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Rising sun and tumbling bear by Richard Connaughton

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Polyakov posted:

Rising sun and tumbling bear by Richard Connaughton

Sounds like a wuxia movie

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I was browsing the COLD WAR/AIRPOWER thread and they had a good discussion regarding The Falklands war. Specifically, the British actually came pretty close to losing? Like if the Argentinians had knocked out a few more support ships, or even a carrier - it would have been over.

I never thought much about this conflict before, so went down the Wikipedia rabbit-hole and holy moly does this war not get enough attention outside of the UK/South America. It's the only large scale naval battle I can think of in the last 40 years, and it's equally impressive that a suppose top tier Cold War power nearly lost most of their surface fleet to a non-peer opponent.

Some questions for the thread:

Did the British come as close to losing as I stated? What could the Argentinians had done differently to actually defeat them?

What would the consequences of a British loss had been? This is 1982 and the Cold War is very much in full swing - I image NATO get's embarrassed that one of their members surface fleets gets destroyed by a non-communist aligned state, and the Soviets win a major diplomatic coup by default. In addition, the UK itself is probably thrown into turmoil and the Thatcher government collapses. The "special relationship" with the US is probably strained as suddenly the RN can't adequately protect the North Atlantic. Maybe China tries to make moves to force the UK to hand over Hong Kong early?

As for Argentina, the military Junta survives at least for a while longer. I'm sure they get massive amounts of Soviet / Eastern Bloc aid throughout the rest of the 1980s and become a pain in the side of the US.

Also, what lessons were learned from the Falklands war?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Solaris 2.0 posted:

What would the consequences of a British loss had been? This is 1982 and the Cold War is very much in full swing - I image NATO get's embarrassed that one of their members surface fleets gets destroyed by a non-communist aligned state, and the Soviets win a major diplomatic coup by default. In addition, the UK itself is probably thrown into turmoil and the Thatcher government collapses. The "special relationship" with the US is probably strained as suddenly the RN can't adequately protect the North Atlantic. Maybe China tries to make moves to force the UK to hand over Hong Kong early?

As for Argentina, the military Junta survives at least for a while longer. I'm sure they get massive amounts of Soviet / Eastern Bloc aid throughout the rest of the 1980s and become a pain in the side of the US.

This is in the realm of fantasy books.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
“Britain almost lost: if a few more of their ships had been sunk they’d give up” doesn’t sound like Britain almost lost to me

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Don't try to steal land from a world power that dramatically overmatches you in order to prop up your junta

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

“Britain almost lost: if a few more of their ships had been sunk they’d give up” doesn’t sound like Britain almost lost to me

While I appreciate the usual glib responses that SA is lovingly known for. I'm being serious.

They lost 6 surface ships. When was the last time a major naval power lost that many in a conflict especially to a non-peer opponent?

Seems to me there is a realistic alt history where the Argentinian military is a little better organized and puts a whole lot more hurt on the British.

I mean whatever, this thread argues all day if gay black Hitler could have won in the east but I guess bringing up a suppose British defeat in the Falklands is "fantasy".

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 30, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Solaris 2.0 posted:

They lost 6 surface ships. When was the last time a major naval power lost that many in a conflict especially to a non-peer opponent?

You've narrowed this definition so tightly that I suspect the answer is "never"

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You've narrowed this definition so tightly that I suspect the answer is "never"

Right, but that's my point, it feels like that should be a big deal. I mean I am sure the Falklands War is a huge deal in UK and especially Argentinian circles but as an American I had only barely heard of it, and I never even knew the UK had lost so many ships.

I thought it was fascinating and figure I'd ask the thread since I can't of many modern naval engagements. People don't have to respond to my question if they don't feel like it. I just thought it was interesting.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Right, but that's my point, it feels like that should be a big deal. I mean I am sure the Falklands War is a huge deal in UK and especially Argentinian circles but as an American I had only barely heard of it, and I never even knew the UK had lost so many ships.

I thought it was fascinating and figure I'd ask the thread since I can't of many modern naval engagements. People don't have to respond to my question if they don't feel like it. I just thought it was interesting.

India and Pakistan had some: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Pakistani_Naval_War_of_1971

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I mean like if they actually stopped the boats that would have probably been it except maybe some "gently caress you" revenge bombings or something.
Thatchers government falls almost certainly and maybe Labour gets a turn in government before Major or whoever claws their back to the top. I doubt that the Junta actually lasts much longer than in reality especially if the UN or US intervenes and makes them look weak. I also don't think it would result in like the UK getting ejected from NATO but it would almost certainly have an effect on all future ship designs to deal with Anti-ship missiles.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'Losing ships' is a superficial way of looking at categorising losses that really have to be divided between 'genuinely damaging transport losses' and 'picket destroyers that were deliberately treated as disposable assets in order to protect the valuable bits of the fleet'.

It was definitely very close and there was no margin for error.

It's also an area where you run into problems being lax on defining 'not peer' in terms of actual capabilities. Iran is not a peer competitor to the USA, but if a war starts with a carrier group transiting the straits of Hormuz then you are going to see a lot of US ships on fire.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I was browsing the COLD WAR/AIRPOWER thread and they had a good discussion regarding The Falklands war. Specifically, the British actually came pretty close to losing? Like if the Argentinians had knocked out a few more support ships, or even a carrier - it would have been over.

I never thought much about this conflict before, so went down the Wikipedia rabbit-hole and holy moly does this war not get enough attention outside of the UK/South America. It's the only large scale naval battle I can think of in the last 40 years, and it's equally impressive that a suppose top tier Cold War power nearly lost most of their surface fleet to a non-peer opponent.

Some questions for the thread:

Did the British come as close to losing as I stated? What could the Argentinians had done differently to actually defeat them?

The US likely wouldn't have let Britain lose the war. Though the US was ostensibly neutral, had Britain lost a carrier the US was prepared to give them an older US ship to replace it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The US likely wouldn't have let Britain lose the war. Though the US was ostensibly neutral, had Britain lost a carrier the US was prepared to give them an older US ship to replace it.

Oh wow that's crazy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Alchenar posted:

It's also an area where you run into problems being lax on defining 'not peer' in terms of actual capabilities. Iran is not a peer competitor to the USA, but if a war starts with a carrier group transiting the straits of Hormuz then you are going to see a lot of US ships on fire.

Yeah I feel like characterizing the Argentines as some completely backwater nothing entity mischaracterizes it a bit. Didn’t they have completely state of the art anti-ship missiles?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Koramei posted:

Yeah I feel like characterizing the Argentines as some completely backwater nothing entity mischaracterizes it a bit. Didn’t they have completely state of the art anti-ship missiles?

Right my bad I wasn't trying to categorize them as back-water, I used the term non-peer to indicated that they were not a major world power. The Iran comparison is apt, I didn't think of that before.

From my brief googling on the topic, Argentinian had a few of the French Exocet missiles and managed to sink a support ship with them, and hit a destroyer.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/15/exocet-missile-how-sinking-hms-sheffield-made-famous

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/15/revealed-full-story-behind-sinking-of-falklands-warship-hms-sheffield

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also yea, this is nuts. :stare:

*edit*

Anyway if anyone has good reading/podcast/documentaries regarding this conflict feel free to PM me or share. I'd definitely would love to learn more.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 30, 2020

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

While I appreciate the usual glib responses that SA is lovingly known for. I'm being serious.

Seems to be there is a realistic alt history where the Argentinian military is a little better organized and puts a whole lot more hurt on the British.

I mean whatever, this thread argues all day if gay black Hitler could have won in the east but I guess bringing up a suppose British defeat in the Falklands is "fantasy".

Whens the last time that there was any major naval combat involving a major naval power post WW2? (Or even post WW1 to be honest). Even in those where navies were fighting inferior ones they still took losses.

Argentina is stretching itself to attack the task force as it is, the falklands are not actually that close to Argentina. It realistically only has one way of preventing the UK doing what it wants and that is air attack. Its navy would get utterly demolished by SSN's if it tried to actually seek a surface action. Its not really a question of a bit more organisation it requires some serious altering.

The Falkland islands task force was around 120 ships. 60 RN, 60 civillian, the argentines would sink 7 of those and damage several more. To call that "most of" is deeply misleading (6 of around the 40 or so combat ships that were in the area were sunk (of which 2 are landing and support so not directly combat ships)). These losses are mainly focused around the Battle of San Carlos and various attacks en route using their 100 or so planes that has the range. Their operations tempo was as high as it could be attacking the RN enroute, and it had failed to make a good dent to the point where you have the battle of san Carlos. We can talk about what if they had hit a carrier sure, but thats not really likely to happen, the reason Sheffield got hit is its doing radar pickets to stop that happening, theres a lot of ground they need to cover and not get shot down to get within range of a CV which gives them an extremely high risk of getting harriered. Radar pickets by definition are not well covered by the CAP, they are there to make sure the CAP can hit the plane before it hits the important ship. Even if a carrier does get hit theres no guarantee its going to go down, Exocet is quite a light missile.

By the end of the battle of San Carlos the argentinians are out of Exocets and are having to do super low runs with dumb bombs (admittedly with some degree of success). However they have lost around a quarter of their airforce doing this because going in for a bomb attack on a modern ship is very dangerous, the RN cant deal that well with exocet attack but it can deal perfectly adequately with you having to physically drop something on them, Argentina are also suffering the usual attrition to maintainance that you get in a war as well as those being physically shot down.

The reason they are having problems with their bombs detonating is that they are having to go in super low to lose themselves in radar clutter so they dont get picked off by harriers or missiles at range, they cant go higher without suffering unsustainable air losses so the dud rate of the bombs is not really a changeable quantity.

Once we get on the island in general, Argentina cannot sustain its garrison at all, its ships cant make it past the RN's submarines even if the surface fleet isnt there. Their troops are cold, miserable and alone and really dont want to fight. If the UK gets any significant force ashore then its over for Galtieri, about half the attacks made by the UK was against the numerical odds with the rest being around parity and the Argentines generally speaking crumbled in relatively short order because their morale was gofawful. Even with the loss of more ships at San Carlos the soldiers are still there, there are more on the way (further major landings will take place over the ensuing weeks) and more support ships not in the immediate area and even if you destroy enough of the logistical tail to make a long term campaign on the Falklands difficult the Argentine army only has a couple of weeks of resistance left anyway.

Though to address your question more directly, one thing we see is intense development and deployment of CIWS like Phalanx leading to things like CRAM etc. People were aware of the danger of AShM's but it brought it into sharp focus that you cant just rely on long range missiles to stop them. There were various implications for the defence of the island itself of course but the major thing was underlining the severe danger of missiles to ships. (Backed up by later the same decade the tanker war).

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 30, 2020

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
One Hundred Days by Sandy Woodward, commander of the UK war effort in the Falklands War, describes how tight that margin of error is. If the submarine hadn't found the Belgrano, or if it had missed with its 40-year-old unguided torpedoes, would the Argentinians had a fun time rampaging through the English convoy with 8-in guns while laughing as Harpoon missiles bounced off its armor plate? What if the Exocet's computer picked the other big blip and got the aircraft carrier? England did not have a replacement fleet, and they were operating at the absolute edge of endurance.

Seemingly unrelated, you could read The Man Who Saved Britain by Simon Winder to get into the heads of midcentury Englishchuds and why could have had a big domestic impact. (It's nominally a book about James Bond books and movies, but it's really a book about English culture as it dealt with winning the war only to lose the empire and take an impoverished back seat to the US and the USSR.)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Seems to me there is a realistic alt history where the Argentinian military is a little better organized and puts a whole lot more hurt on the British.

I did not mean my answer to be completely sarcastic. I would still question the idea that Britain almost lost after losing six ships. Was the morale of the troops low enough that mutiny/surrender/refusal to fight was a possibility? Did any of the tactical commanders seriously consider surrender/cease fire or communicate to higher that they were at risk of failing their mission? Did strategic and political leadership seriously discuss surrender or cease fire after losing six ships?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Polyakov posted:

Whens the last time that there was any major naval combat involving a major naval power post WW2? (Or even post WW1 to be honest). Even in those where navies were fighting inferior ones they still took losses.

Argentina is stretching itself to attack the task force as it is, the falklands are not actually that close to Argentina. It realistically only has one way of preventing the UK doing what it wants and that is air attack. Its navy would get utterly demolished by SSN's if it tried to actually seek a surface action. Its not really a question of a bit more organisation it requires some serious altering.

The Falkland islands task force was around 120 ships. 60 RN, 60 civillian, the argentines would sink 7 of those and damage several more. To call that "most of" is deeply misleading (6 of around the 40 or so combat ships that were in the area were sunk (of which 2 are landing and support so not directly combat ships)). These losses are mainly focused around the Battle of San Carlos and various attacks en route using their 100 or so planes that has the range. Their operations tempo was as high as it could be attacking the RN enroute, and it had failed to make a good dent to the point where you have the battle of san Carlos. We can talk about what if they had hit a carrier sure, but thats not really likely to happen, the reason Sheffield got hit is its doing radar pickets to stop that happening, theres a lot of ground they need to cover and not get shot down to get within range of a CV which gives them an extremely high risk of getting harriered. Radar pickets by definition are not well covered by the CAP, they are there to make sure the CAP can hit the plane before it hits the important ship. Even if a carrier does get hit theres no guarantee its going to go down, Exocet is quite a light missile.

By the end of the battle of San Carlos the argentinians are out of Exocets and are having to do super low runs with dumb bombs (admittedly with some degree of success). However they have lost around a quarter of their airforce doing this because going in for a bomb attack on a modern ship is very dangerous, the RN cant deal that well with exocet attack but it can deal perfectly adequately with you having to physically drop something on them, Argentina are also suffering the usual attrition to maintainance that you get in a war as well as those being physically shot down.

The reason they are having problems with their bombs detonating is that they are having to go in super low to lose themselves in radar clutter so they dont get picked off by harriers or missiles at range, they cant go higher without suffering unsustainable air losses so the dud rate of the bombs is not really a changeable quantity.

Once we get on the island in general, Argentina cannot sustain its garrison at all, its ships cant make it past the RN's submarines even if the surface fleet isnt there. Their troops are cold, miserable and alone and really dont want to fight. If the UK gets any significant force ashore then its over for Galtieri, about half the attacks made by the UK was against the numerical odds with the rest being around parity and the Argentines generally speaking crumbled in relatively short order because their morale was gofawful. Even with the loss of more ships at San Carlos the soldiers are still there, there are more on the way (further major landings will take place over the ensuing weeks) and more support ships not in the immediate area and even if you destroy enough of the logistical tail to make a long term campaign on the Falklands difficult the Argentine army only has a couple of weeks of resistance left anyway.

Though to address your question more directly, one thing we see is intense development and deployment of CIWS like Phalanx leading to things like CRAM etc. People were aware of the danger of AShM's but it brought it into sharp focus that you cant just rely on long range missiles to stop them. There were various implications for the defence of the island itself of course but the major thing was underlining the severe danger of missiles to ships. (Backed up by later the same decade the tanker war).

A good post.
Was it possible for the Argentinians to sink the Invincible or Hermes at all?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Anyway if anyone has good reading/podcast/documentaries regarding this conflict feel free to PM me or share. I'd definitely would love to learn more.

Harrier 809 by Rowland White is good. It's about a group of pilots who were thrown together at the last minute to fly Harriers.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

I did not mean my answer to be completely sarcastic. I would still question the idea that Britain almost lost after losing six ships. Was the morale of the troops low enough that mutiny/surrender/refusal to fight was a possibility? Did any of the tactical commanders seriously consider surrender/cease fire or communicate to higher that they were at risk of failing their mission? Did strategic and political leadership seriously discuss surrender or cease fire after losing six ships?

I should say my post was badly written - I shouldn't have implied the Argentinians could have "sunk most" of the British fleet. However when writing the post I was referencing this bit from the US Naval institute I had read when googling around for info.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2019/december/fighting-along-knife-edge-falklands

quote:

The struggles with hiding and defending the fleet led to difficult questions about how best to use Britain’s two small aircraft carriers, HMS Hermes and Invincible. They were the greatest assets in the British task force and their air wings the best defense against Argentine air attacks.39 They also were the greatest British vulnerability, however, and they dictated the deployment and tactics of the entire task force. Woodward wrote of the “inescapable truth that the Argentine commanders failed inexplicably to realize that if they had hit Hermes, the British would have been finished. They never really went after the one target that would surely have given them victory.”40 Woodward’s solution was to keep the carriers as far out to sea as possible, almost exclusively using them for air defense.

However, it does appear that in this scenario the US was ready to lend the UK the Iwo Jima. I would still imagine that if the Hermes had been sunk it would have been devastating to morale, not to mention the material/personnel losses.

Also thanks goons for the references for Harrier 809 and One Hundred Days!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

After the initial Exocet attacks, didn't France start feeding Britain technical information on how to best defeat the missiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Lawman 0 posted:

Was it possible for the Argentinians to sink the Invincible or Hermes at all?
Questions about ship damage and damage control are always weird. IMO it's possible for them to knock a carrier out of the war (not sink, but close enough) with a single Exocet hit that does something like the Sheffield hit, where the missile hit the firefighting system and then all of the missile fuel set fire to the ship internals, but it's also completely possible for them to get a hit more like Glamorgan where it blows up the thing it hits, causes a bit of a mess and then is sorted out by the DC teams with relatively limited fuss. They did allegedly get a shot at the carriers historically and hit Atlantic Conveyor with two missiles so them landing a serious hit on one of the carriers with one or two of their missiles is not at all beyond the bounds of plausibility.

This isn't enough. The loss of one carrier would seriously jeopardise British strategy as it existed and would probably force Admiral Woodward to a patrol station further east, which considering he already comes under criticism for not getting the Harrier force close enough to provide proper CAP is going to be unpopular. However, this doesn't really matter. The Air-Sea phase of the campaign is coming to a close and the Land phase beginning, with the San Carlos landings well underway by this point. The loss of half the Harriers seriously damages the ability of the FAA and RAF to provide battlefield close support, but the Chinooks and Wessexes saved on Atlantic Conveyor can transport up the Light Guns and move the infantry around enough to keep them fresh for battle. Hell, being less confident in the supremacy of British air power probably saves Sir Tristram and Sir Galahad.

There's really just... too much British combat power and not enough Argentinian combat power. Pretty much whatever the Argentinians hit they're going to get Lanchestered. To change this significantly requires a Gayer, Blacker Hitler than we have.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I mean, their Naval Aviation was as good as anywhere in the world, their Air Force was decent, their Navy was irrelevant and while their Army performed like absolute dogshit that's hardly surprising given that they were a mostly miserable conscript force leavened by special forces who were very much in the brutal state repression line rather than being actual SF. Replacing them 1:1 with the absolute cream of whichever army you think was the best in the world in 1982 probably doesn't change the result, nobody likes being cut off with insufficient artillery against a superior force with air superiority.

You can definitely make Argentinian military thinking a bit more joined-up at the top level, but the top level is also the government so they would simply run their country better and not have to invade the Falklands in a desperate attempt to stave off a coup. RIP to the Galtieri Junta but I'm different.