Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Even if you did have an example you’d probably have many more examples of people working hard and getting gently caress all for it.

I don’t “like” Prez getting a redemption arc but it’s institutionally pretty realistic. White cop blinds a black kid, shoots a black cop, gets to retire clean because he feels bad about it, goes into teaching to become a better person. No consequences except to his own feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's certainly a sadness in Prez that I think must've been intentional. Like, he's not being played as a totally happy, content guy who has put his past behind him. I always got the feeling that he was constantly aware of his past and the damage he'd done.

And that's what Prez represents. A guy who maybe deep down wasn't one of those hateful psychos frothing at the mouth to hurt people, but he allowed himself to become that when he immersed himself on the toxic police culture. Who you think you are deep down isn't as important as what you do, and the impact of your actions, and Prez allowed his circumstances and the institutional powers surrounding him to change him into something he didn't want to be. And some things you can't take back.

Sewer-Cover
May 28, 2010
There is a pretty haunting passage in The Corner where DeAndre, a highschool kid, is trying to go straight and he almost applies at a McDonalds but bails. There is definitely the element of how little you get for the hard work and bullshit compared to drug dealing, but there is also the humiliation and powerlessness of the job, the lack of money affecting social status, and the chance of being judged by a loving McDonalds manager and being found not good enough.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sewer-Cover posted:

There is a pretty haunting passage in The Corner where DeAndre, a highschool kid, is trying to go straight and he almost applies at a McDonalds but bails. There is definitely the element of how little you get for the hard work and bullshit compared to drug dealing, but there is also the humiliation and powerlessness of the job, the lack of money affecting social status, and the chance of being judged by a loving McDonalds manager and being found not good enough.

"Yeah, but he still had a CHOICE" - Some other poster

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Sewer-Cover posted:

Or consider the McDonalds manager being judged by a random internet poster. I suspect both employees would rather be in a better position.

Hey, someone has to supply the mcribs, you know.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One of the other bankers I work with has a client that started working at McDonald's when he was like 16, worked at that same location his whole career, and retired a multi-multimillionaire. Didn't do anything crazy or weird either. Just saved and lived within his means. Bartenders and servers at high end restaurants can and do make six figure salaries pretty regularly.

There's bankers at my job that make like $40k a year including their bonuses.

Job titles mean jackshit.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of the other bankers I work with has a client that started working at McDonald's when he was like 16, worked at that same location his whole career, and retired a multi-multimillionaire. Didn't do anything crazy or weird either. Just saved and lived within his means. Bartenders and servers at high end restaurants can and do make six figure salaries pretty regularly.

Hedge fund managers or mcdonalds workers, its all about how hard you work really innit

Strawman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 22, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Good post/username combo

Also that McDonalds millionaire story sounds very last millennium.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

General Battuta posted:

Good post/username combo

Also that McDonalds millionaire story sounds very last millennium.

$40,000 a year from 16 to 65 wouldn't be enough to make someone a multi-millionaire if their expenses were $0. How much do you think McDonald's managers get paid?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm agreeing with you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel like there's a missing step. Like, was it his dad's McDonald's franchise he started working at and then inherited or something?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nope, just lived to his means and put his savings in mutual funds for decades. He's not my client so I don't have a lot of info besides that. I do have a Bitcoin millionaire though! He's a really cool guy.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I mean, it's mathematically possible. Working for 50 years, investing over the period from 1960-2010, house appreciation. The issue comes in if someone says that's a path to be emulated. It's possible, I'm not disbelieving there is a person who has done that, but it's just not useful career advice.

Also, lol at the idea of banker == McDonald's manager in general esteem, just because in some situations they pay the same. You know that's not what people mean when they say that, right? I'm not saying a banker is better than a McDonald's manager, but plenty of people out there believe that, consciously or not.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 22, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

what were his means exactly

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ainsley McTree posted:

what were his means exactly

lived in a mountain
commuted via cave

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Working and saving
Was all he'd crave.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's nothing wrong with being a service industry worker, is my point.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Morally nothing wrong, but I don't think you could replicate that guy's McDonalds Method of becoming a multi-millionaire today. Like you can't go get a McDonalds job and save and get promoted and live modestly and achieve the American Dream any more. The way is shut.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nope, just lived to his means and put his savings in mutual funds for decades. He's not my client so I don't have a lot of info besides that. I do have a Bitcoin millionaire though! He's a really cool guy.

yeah we all know jeffery

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Solice Kirsk posted:

Your way... it won’t work.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you want it to be one way but its another

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

You know what the problem is? We used to grill patties in this country, make hamburgers. Now we're just taking a large fry from the next guy's bag.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
They used to make McFlurries there, no?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Beamed posted:

You know what the problem is? We used to grill patties in this country, make hamburgers. Now we're just taking a large fry from the next guy's bag.
I flushed my loving family for what? You know what that is Nicky? Do ya? A condominium chik-fil-a. We used to eat burgers in this country.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For some reason I thought this was the Pickle Rick dialogue

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’m Pickle McNulty!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

until someday some way those motherfuckers get dredged and we get some CHIPPPPSINHEEEERRRRE

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to work in the Baltimore major crimes unit

(I wanted to phrase this with the words mcnulty uses when he tries to impress Carcetti's election consultant on a dinner date, but I couldn't find the quote from that scene before I got lazy)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/aodespair/status/1345404572546822144?s=21

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sad

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

kenard lived though :confused:

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
kenard hard like a rock

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

The irony being that Bodymore Murderland is solidly blue. :shrug:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not here to read any posts as we're only in S2 and I don't wanna be spoiled

But

What do you get when you cross Jack Nicholson with Burt Young?
Frank Sobotka

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just started watching this show for the first time. It's excellent so far, and I'm only on the second episode. How have I missed this for so long?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

Just started watching this show for the first time. It's excellent so far, and I'm only on the second episode. How have I missed this for so long?

This has to be a treat. Watching it while it aired was one thing, but twenty years on has to be a whole different experience. Like watching the Mary Tyler Moore show in 1990.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Solice Kirsk posted:

lol the only way this is true, ie. worked at the same location entire career and retired multi-millionaire, is if this person became the franchise owner-operator of that location, and then probably a couple of other locations as well, thus technically "working at the same location his whole career".

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just finished the series watching on Hulu over the last month or so. I had watched S1 and enjoyed it many years ago but just didn't continue it.

I have some minor nitpicks with the show but overall found it pretty solid.

There's an interesting combination of established actors who you've probably seen in other TV series or films, and actors who either come from outside TV/film or just haven't done any mass-media at all.

Not all the plots have satisfying endings, but considering a large chunk of this series is based on real life, sometimes that's how real life is.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Frank Sobotka was 36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Solice Kirsk posted:

lmao

e: wait we already tackled this bit. this is a months old lovely take!!!